PDA

View Full Version : OT - Lighting

orcoastknitter
07-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Hello,

I need some help. I need to get better lighting for my tv/sofa area. There is recessed lighting but it's a pain to use. I basically have to turn on all six flood lights just for my part of the room. I am looking into these two: Ott Lite (http://www.ottlite.com/productdetail.asp?product_id=110) or this one: Full Spectrum (http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/floor_lamps_2_ctg.htm). Have any of you had any experience with either one? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Jodi :XX:

edited to fix links... I guess I was up too late last night

Jan in CA
07-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Neither of your links worked for me and I can't fix them because I don't know if it's a specific product or not.

I don't have an answer, but will be watching for replies. I have problems with lighting, too. We got some new lamps that have two bulbs so I now have more light, but it's still not really good enough. I notice when I'm outdoors that I can see so much better so maybe something that simulates outdoors would work? :thinking:

AidanM
07-11-2006, 02:45 AM
I find that a high-wattage bulb pointed straight at my work is usually all I need - Though sometimes I need to flip on a few extra lamps.

Debbie
07-11-2006, 07:06 AM
I love my Ott light ... Joann's 50% off coupon !!! It is like getting new eyes.

sara_jayne
07-11-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a small Ott-Lite on my desk that I love. By the couch I have a Balanced Spectrum Lamp from Frist Street (http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=14543). It is very similar to an Ott-lamp and considerably less expensive. My mom is a quilter and uses both the Ott lamp and Balanced Spectrum and hasn't noticed a difference between the two. I do love having a light for knitting - I have a lot less stress on my eyes.

AnreeAce
07-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't have either of those, but my mother, who sews and quils, swears by her Ott-Lite.

cheesiesmom
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a full spectrum light which I purchased from Sears on the internet. If I didn't have it, I probably couldn't knit. It's a blessing even during the day.

I just hope I can get a new bulb someplace if this this burns out.

smartcat
07-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I have an Ott-light and migraines and actually find it too intense for me (I have the small desk version). The Ott-lights are designed to correctly display true colors to make matching easier and more accurate. I know that they are used for task lighting, but I don't think that was their initial use. The floor model maybe better, I don't have any experience with that. I would suggest getting a nice bright task light for beside your chair. I received mine as a gift but only use it when working with dark (black) fine thread that is difficult to see, I use the regular lamp beside me when I need other additional lighting, because working with the ott-light will often trigger a migraine for me.

One note, the light bulb for the ott-lights and full spectrum lights can be 3-4 times more expensive than traditional bulbs. It is something to keep in mind. I am not one to discourage anyone, just make sure they are aware of all of the facts before they buy.

orcoastknitter
07-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the help. After looking at both lights I decided to go with this one:

My new lamp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026F4EO/ref=pd_kar_gw_1/104-2398329-6951913?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507/)

:D

AidanM
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Oh god, my Aunt Linda has that lamp. She loves that movie and puts the lamp out every Christmas during the marathon. :rofling:

I just noticed that you live on the Oregon Coast! I live in Newport, whereabouts are you?

Ladybug Lady
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Frah-JEEEEE-lay

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

orcoastknitter
07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I am not that far from you Aidan! ;)

Ladybug Lady Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:43 am Post subject: I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frah-JEEEEE-lay

:thumbsup: