PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite type of yarn?

DreamWeaver
07-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Okay, I need some help. I use acrylic yarn. I am not proud of it, but there's so many pretty colors :inlove:

So here's my question to you: what's your favorite type of yarn? I want to know so I can get some good fiber and stop knitting with acrylic! TIA!

Lieke
07-13-2006, 04:06 AM
well, I love to knit with cotton, but I guess that's mostly because of my wool allergy. I also love those fun fur yarns, but they are hard to knit with, so I haven't tried that yet. I also knit with acrylic, it's okay, but I like the feeling of cotton more.

Pink Dandelion
07-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Alpaca and Alpaca Blends is what I like to work with most in general - it's soooo soft. A good merino superwash is what I like to work with best so far for socks (something like Angora Valley Fibers (http://www.angoravalley.com/yarns/yarns.html) (click on the monarch sport for their sock yarns) or Blue Moon Fiber Arts 'Socks That Rock')

And a cheap 100% wool is always lots of fun for felting.

Celine
07-13-2006, 06:59 AM
Well I love how soft baby alpaca is but I also love knitting with the Noro yarns. They are so COLORFUL. I like all yarn even some acrylics!!! :XX: :XX:

Angelia
07-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Merino. Yummy softness!! :inlove: :inlove:

candicane
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
I have only been knitting since last fall, but so far my faves are:

Plymouth Grande Baby Alpaca (too pricey for more than a hat for me)
Worsted Merino from 100purewool on ebay (very reasonable)
Wool of the Andes for felting (super cheap)

I have some suri alpaca that I have not used yet, but it is beautiful and so soft and silky. It was definitely a splurge purchase and only enough for a kid's hat.

On my wish list:
Rowan Kidsilk Haze (mohair and silk)

Candice

ekgheiy
07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Okay, I need some help. I use acrylic yarn. I am not proud of it... Huh?? :?? Why do you say you're "not proud of it"??? :( I knit with acrylic. Granted, if I weren't on a budget, acrylic would likely not be my first choice. But there's nothing wrong or shameful about acrylic. JMHO ;)

A lady once paid me to make a scarf for her. She paid for the yarn (of course). It was merino wool. I admit that it *did* feel nice to work with :inlove:. But then again - an acrylic like Caron Simply Soft feels pretty good too. After working with Simply Soft, I've found that I don't like the feel of Red Heart Supersaver anymore.

janelanespaintbrush
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
My favorite yarns so far have been merino and alpaca but I mostly just buy what's on sale and looks pretty. ;)

SabrinaJL
07-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree with you, ekgheiy. I bought some Caron Simply Soft and it feels pretty nice for acrylic. Makes the Red Heart stuff seem scratchier.

This is a good thread for me. So far I only knit with acrylic because I just don't see the point in spending a lot on yarn until my knitting skills are sufficient enough to make something someone is really going to want to wear or use. Once I'm better at it though, I will definitely be looking for some nice yarn.

nicolethegeek
07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
For me it all depends on what I'm making, and who it's for. Items for my kids are usually made out of acrylic so that I can easily wash and dry them. Dishcloths and the like basically NEED to be made out of cotton, and the cheapest I can get since it's just for dishes! Socks for my DH are done in WW superwash wool {about $25 a pair!!!}, socks for my kids are done in Bernat Sox {acrylic/nylon blend for under $4 a pair!!!}, socks for me are done in any kind of fingering weight that catches my fancy.

Knitting and crocheting are pretty much all about the process as well as the end result for me. I will use the best that I can afford that's practical at the same time. I haven't spent more than $50 for any afghan, but spent over $120 for one pullover. I knit a pair of ankle socks for my neice, and I could have afforded to use one of my nice {$10+} sock yarns for them, but I made them out of the Sox, because I know that they won't get the care that a "better" yarn would need. "Better" is also subjective IMO, because the way a yarn "feels" is extremely important to me.

PinkRoses
07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
For me it all depends on what I'm making, and who it's for. Items for my kids are usually made out of acrylic so that I can easily wash and dry them. Dishcloths and the like basically NEED to be made out of cotton, and the cheapest I can get since it's just for dishes! Socks for my DH are done in WW superwash wool {about $25 a pair!!!}, socks for my kids are done in Bernat Sox {acrylic/nylon blend for under $4 a pair!!!}, socks for me are done in any kind of fingering weight that catches my fancy.

Knitting and crocheting are pretty much all about the process as well as the end result for me. I will use the best that I can afford that's practical at the same time. I haven't spent more than $50 for any afghan, but spent over $120 for one pullover. I knit a pair of ankle socks for my neice, and I could have afforded to use one of my nice {$10+} sock yarns for them, but I made them out of the Sox, because I know that they won't get the care that a "better" yarn would need. "Better" is also subjective IMO, because the way a yarn "feels" is extremely important to me.

Very well said, Nicole. I totally agree. :XX:

jamiejeans
07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I started with acrylics, but now that I am getting more confident I am branching out into natural fibers.

I have found that I love silks and cashmeres.... figures I like the most expensive stuff around!

I am also working with Mission Falls 1824 100% Merino Wool...it's so soft~! and it's superwash. Oh! And it's a great price at www.yarnmarket.com. There are acrylics out there that are much more expensive.

KristiMetz
07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, as a beginner knitter I can say that wool is definitely my favorite fiber to work with.

The reasons are because...

1. It is warm (this can also be a down side, depending on what season you're knitting for!)
2. It has great elasticity, your stitches don't have to be perfect
3. You can block it, which helps fix some errors and just makes some stuff look a ton better
4. I find it to be easier on my hands than some other fibers (I guess because of the elasticity).

Honestly, I think wool is one of the best fiber choices for us beginner knitters because of those reasons. If I could go back in time to when I first started, I would just get some Paton's Classic Wool to knit with (instead of the acrylic I used), or some other inexpensive wool yarn.

I have been doing a lot of knitting with cotton (since it's summer) and I just hate it. Every single imperfection in my stitches shows! Same goes for the bamboo yarn I'm using. Alpaca is better, but there's just nothing like wool!! :)

HTH.

nicolethegeek
07-13-2006, 05:10 PM
I am also working with Mission Falls 1824 100% Merino Wool...it's so soft~! and it's superwash.

That's what I use for DHs socks. It takes 2 balls per sock since I make them fairly tall, and he has relatively large feet. But he loves them, and he'll go to Rams (www.ramwools.com) with me to pick out stuff, so it's all good! :thumbsup:

rebecca
07-13-2006, 05:13 PM
OH my, you may as well ask which is my favorite child! I love all of SWTC (http://soysilk.com/) yarns, I guess these are probably my faves right now. Then, there's alpaca and merino...and yummy cottons...and most all sock yarns....and........ :rollseyes:

jamiejeans
07-13-2006, 09:02 PM
OH my, you may as well ask which is my favorite child! I love all of SWTC yarns, I guess these are probably my faves right now.

I was just looking at their website. Have you tried their corn based yarn?That looks intruiging. (sp!)

rebecca
07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I've not yet tried the corn yarn....I might just have to order some from divaknitting ;)

jamiejeans
07-14-2006, 01:04 PM
rebecca Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:38 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've not yet tried the corn yarn....I might just have to order some from divaknitting

Please let me know what you think once you get some!