View Full Version : What does this abbreviation mean?

07-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm making a scarf with a twisted cable pattern (lace) and the abbreviation yrn shows up a few times. I would think it means "yarn" but it makes no sense to me. It either says yrn, P4 or it says yrn P3. A couple of times it just says yrn. I've not done lace before, so is this something unique to lace, unique to this pattern, or unique to cables?

07-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Do you suppose it could be an even further abbreviated version of telling you to yarn forward? I thought of this since you said you were doing something in lace. Not necessarily yarn "over" but bring your yarn to the front without saying "front."
A thought...

ETA: I just looked up a knitting abbreviation list here (http://www.yarnstandards.com/knit.html) and it says "yrn" means "yarn around needle."

07-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks, Binky! I suppose that means to wrap the yarn rather than just doing a YO. I'm a beginner with lace knitting and figure I'll learn a lot before I'm finished with this scarf~~~~ :XX: