PDA

View Full Version : What should I do??

jamiejeans
07-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Some advice is needed!

I am doing my first felted bag. No pattern, just knitting! So wasn't sure what would be the best method. I am in the process of knitting the base of the bag.

Now should I knit four side and seam together, pick up the two larger sides and knit from base up then two short sides seperately and sew on, OR pick up stitches from base and knit in the round from bottom up?

I'd like to knit in the round as it seems easier (no seaming!) but not sure if I increase stitches at any point or just knit the same number I pick up.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

brendajos
07-16-2006, 10:24 PM
well it depends on what you want it to look like but i would pick up stitches all the way around and just knit around until it was a little taller than i wanted it to be when it was done felting.

knitqueen
07-16-2006, 10:25 PM
I'd say that as long as your base is not super narrow, you should for sure pick up stitches all the way around and knit in the round. I tried the satchel pattern from knitty.com once, and the base was so narrow that it was literally impossible to pick up stitches around and actually be able to work that way.

Picking up along the edges and then seaming would just be a pain, in my opinion.

And I don't see the need for increasing or decreasing, unless you are going for a particular shaped bag.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with!

brendajos
07-16-2006, 10:54 PM
oooooooooh i did one like that too....i ended up frogging the whole thing because after i got all the stitches picked up i couldn't knit....very annoying.

jamiejeans
07-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Sounds good to me... glad to see I was thinking along the lines of great knitters!

It will be awhile before this thing is done. But I will let you know how it's coming along!

itsbecca1979
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I would pick up stitches as well. I'm gonna make the Booga bag and that's what the pattern calls for.