PDA

View Full Version : OT: worst day EVER

XbelovedXoneX
07-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Today is the worst day ever. My husband got laid off this morning. Apparently one of the owners of the small company he works for is an @sshole... on friday a bunch of the employees had a meeting with the other owner complaining about how Mark (the other owner) is screwing up the company, etc etc. Well Mark found out and now he's firing all these people. My DH was the first to go. Next week another guy will be let go, and possibly 2 people after that. I'm so stressed out!!!! We own 2 houses, and have been trying to sell one of them for almost a year, without so much as a nibble. I'm just so shocked and stressed.... Money was tight to begin with. :crying:

sara_jayne
07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
How horrible - I hope he can find another job quickly and the house sells. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ladybug Lady
07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you're being hit from all sides, hun! <big hug> I'll be praying that this will all work out SOON!

cookworm
07-17-2006, 09:19 AM
This is terrible news! I hope everything turns around for the best very soon. :heart: I'm very sorry to hear about what you and your husband are going through right now.

XbelovedXoneX
07-17-2006, 09:42 AM
thanks everyone! We really do get hit from all sides! In the last few months we've had my car's transmission go, my cat get sick and need a $600 vet bill, our brand new lawn mower stolen, etc etc etc!!! I really wish we could just get a break for heaven's sake.

cgd
07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm sorry you're going through all this and hope the luck gods will give y'all a break soon.

Nikki
07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm so sorry. Gentle hugs for you. With one of the owners of that company behaving in such a manner, there won't be much of a company left before long. Maybe this was a way to get your DH out of a bad situation before it became worse.
Nikki

Andrea
07-17-2006, 10:09 AM
:heart: :heart: :heart:

earthchick
07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Hugs to you. I'm so sorry. :(

feministmama
07-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Sending you good vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~ :heart: :heart: :heart:

knitncook
07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Is there anyway that the other people who were disgruntled and have lost their jobs could possibly form their own company? That happened at a company that my friend worked for. They saw the writing on the wall and were eventually all let go or left in disgust and formed their own company. It's still going strong whereas the "AH" who was running the other company into the ground ended up going bankrupt in just a few months after that.

DianaM
07-17-2006, 11:59 AM
:heart: Sorry to hear that, hon.

If the house can't sell, have you considered renting it out? It would mean an income :thinking:

Jan in CA
07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm so sorry. I hope he finds a job soon and the house sells. Renting it does sound like a good idea if possible though.
:heart:

XbelovedXoneX
07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
To be honest, I don't think my husband would want to work with the other people that are going to be let go. I know my husband has had problems with at least one of the guy's work ethics. My husband has actually been working on forming his own business for a few weeks now. (see link below!!)

We've talked about renting the house out, so that is a possibilty. I just worry about stuff like getting a call at 3am that the furnace is out! :rofling:

XbelovedXoneX
07-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Also, for the past few weeks my DH had been working on starting his own business. He was planning on seeing what kind of business he got before leaving his job. But then this happenned..... so for the moment he's focusing on get his business started. Problem is, I'm afraid it will be a hard field to break into, at least getting the word out. So please check out the link to his business in my signature!! :heart:

knitwit
07-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Sometimes, stinky things have to happen in order to get to the good stuff! In the meantime, big hugs to you and to your family. Everything will work out the way it is supposed to!

Re: renting the house out - maybe you'll find great tenants to keep an eye on it while you try to sell it. They say that vacant houses age faster than occupied houses do & if something wacky goes wrong, better to have someone there to tell you about it then find out about it after a few days :thumbsup:

MaggieL
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
That's just terrible. ((((HUGS))))

Mrs.H
07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
So sorry about your DH's rotten boss. When stuff like this happens I like to remember what Maria's(Sound of Music) character said as she left the convent to work as a governess,"When God closes the door, he always opens a window somewhere." Keep an eye out for that open window, I hope you've already found it in your DH's new business. Peace be with you, you're in my prayers.
Linda

gimmesanity
07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
{{HUGS}}
I'm so sorry you've been getting dumped on like this....I hope things will start looking up for you soon.

DreamWeaver
07-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Poor you :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: If there was a big hug emoticon I would use that too... but for now *big hug* I hope everything will be okay :thumbsup:

njknitter
07-18-2006, 08:31 AM
I also believe what others are saying...sometimes the best things come out of adversity. Hang in there and keep a positive outlook. :heart:

I checked out your husband's site. I am an independent software consultant...have been for 15 years after 8 years as an employee in the same field. In my case, I wanted to have greater flexibility once my kids were born. I am truly blessed to have the luxury of balancing work with motherhood.

I would suggest that he seek out and attend as many professional events as possible. Hand business cards to anyone and everyone. Attempt to establish partnerships where he can bring in himself/his people under someone else's banner and vice versa. Pursue any professional certifications and include those on the website (e.g., Microsoft certified, etc.). Get a great lawyer and be sure to review all contracts VERY carfully. Maybe find a promising new lawyer that needs some computer help and work out a barter arrangement. Does he have any expertise in a particular industry or discipline? Pursuing a "vertical" focus might help position the firm as more than just tech-heads as so many of us tend to be. Ultimately a company doesn't want computer help, they want solutions to business problems that computers are often necessary to achieve. If it is too specific, you may pigeon-hole yourself, but something like finance applies quite broadly.

As for the site, I think it looks very good. I noticed the last word on the home page (guaranteed) is spelled wrong though. The only other constructive idea I can offer is to attempt to include specific problems that could be solved - take a bit more of a business slant. Make up some "case studies" that are based on things he's done previously.

I hope you don't mind my 2 cents input. It may actually be worth less than that ( :lol: ), so feel free to ignore any or all of it! Best of luck to you both!!!

Lynn

XbelovedXoneX
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
your input is very much appreciated!! I'm going to forward that to my info. and that guaranteed spelling error is my fault! He had it spelled wrong before, and I thought I had corrected it! Never let the dyslexic wife proofread!!! :rofling:

faerie8
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Is your kitty better? Po' you. *gives big hug. :heart:

You might want to try techy-sites for better advertising of your husbands company though. Somehow, i just don't think a knitting website will do it.

Friskums
07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I totally feel your pain!

Just found out my b/f just got fired today.
And we just closed on our condo and are in the process of moving in (which needs to be done by the end of the month).
:evil:
And my car needs fixin, and my health has been poor lately...

Geez.. What, is an evil stress bug going around lately? :rollseyes:

XbelovedXoneX
07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Is your kitty better? Po' you. *gives big hug. :heart:

You might want to try techy-sites for better advertising of your husbands company though. Somehow, i just don't think a knitting website will do it.

The kitty is fully healed, thank you!

The DH is advertising in numerous other places, but I figured it can't hurt to put his name out wherever I frequent. ;)

and frisky kittie: i hope things get better for you too!! :heart:

faerie8
07-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Geez.. What, is an evil stress bug going around lately? :rollseyes:

I really suggest you guys play with your kitties. It does wonders for stress. ITS SCIENTIFIC!

Its good for the kitty and you. Your hand has essential oils which help keep your kitties coat sleek and shiny. Quid pro quo.

And giant lollipops. Come on. Thats self explanatory. But maybe, just maybe, that doesn't work for everybody and I'm just a big kid at heart. :D

Oh, yes. See signature*

Re-adjust the sails and happy sailing. ;)