PDA

View Full Version : Kool-Aid Dying

orcoastknitter
07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I am excited to do this. I just ordered my yarn from KP and have my supplies ready. I want to do varigated colored yarn, using the squirt bottles. I just have one question to those who have done this:

Will the colors run together when I place it the bowl/steamer? What I mean is, since there will be many different colors on one hank, when I place them in the bowl to steam, will they run into each other? :rollseyes:

Thanks!
Jodi

nefferbea
07-17-2006, 06:48 PM
I made varigated yarn with KoolAid, and didn't have a problem with the colors running into each other. I laid the yarn out on plastic wrap, squirted the dye on it, then folded the plastic wrap over. Then, it went into a glass rectangular casserole dish and into the microwave. I didn't cook it on the stovetop, so I don't know what would happen with the colors if you did that.

Good luck with your dying! It's a lot of fun, and so easy!

Jennifer

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Mine ran some, but it make a big muddy stain on the yarn or anything.

VickiIL
07-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't have a problem with the colors running. I left a little white in between colors (just a tiny bit) also I made sure I didn't put complimentary colors (colors across from each other on the color wheel) next to each other. When complimentary colors mix they make brown.

NinaT
07-17-2006, 11:37 PM
My advice would be to not put too much dye on a section at one time. DD14 really squirted on the dye and it did pool under the yarn and turn it kind of muddy. Just put enough to saturate the section you're working on and then mop up the excess with paper towels. LOTS of paper towels! Good luck this is lots of fun!

gardenmommy
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
http://www.streetsandyos.com/archives/2005/06/selfstriping.php

I did mine in jars like above.