View Full Version : Hats for men?

07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I want to knit 2 different hats. One for my husband which I want to be like a normal winter hat - is it called a stocking hat??? - the kind that comes down to cover the ears and has the cuff and all that. I don't really want to do fair isle, but variagated (sp) yarn would be cool.

The other one has me a bit stumped... We have a friend who keeps his head bald & I want to make him one of those snug fitting hats that comes above the ears - that's what he wears - but I don't know what it's called.

Any suggestions for patterns for either of these would be appreciated! TIA

Jan in CA
07-18-2006, 03:59 PM
I think most any pattern would work fine for a man other than frilly or obviously feminine hats. To make a fold up brim you just make the ribbing longer. The other hat might be called a beanie? :?? I don't know, but again I think any pattern just made shorter would work.

Hats at KPC (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php)
Basic Hat (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm)

07-18-2006, 05:07 PM
the knitted hat with no fold up brim is called a beanie, i think all bald guys where them, i have several. a basic pattern for a beanie can be found here (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/knit-beanies.html). hope that helps, have fun

07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Here is a beanie from knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATThalfdome.html).

07-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Excellent!! TY very much. I didn't realize the new Knitty was out. :) I'm off to pick my projects.