PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Guild Association Masters Program

ekgheiy
07-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Has anyone either completed any of levels, started or thought about starting/completing the program? :thinking:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I have started Level One, but have put it on hold. The way that they word things is vague, and from what I hear doing the Basics course can get you used to their "format".

I plan on grabbing the Basics course when I get the opportunity and doing that first. I could just go online and ask people who have done it, "what do they mean by this? What do they want?", but that isn't what I bought the course for.

feministmama
07-18-2006, 04:19 PM
This is what I worry about. Like Yarnmommy's story, they want you to CONFORM. I don't feel like they're the collaborative, warm folks that we are here. I get the feeling they are terminator knitters or something. BBBBbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Celine
07-18-2006, 05:41 PM
What is the Master's Program?? :?? Is there a website to read about this. I never heard of it before. Just curious about it. Thanks. :XX:

rebecca
07-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Here (http://www.tkga.com/mastersprogram.shtm) you go ;)

Julie
07-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I've read quite a bit about it and I would love to do it when I have the money to spare...the swatches sound fun to me, but not the paper. :rollseyes:

itsbecca1979
07-19-2006, 09:53 AM
As pricey as that stuff is I'd hafta floozy myself to pay for it! :shock: The membership itself might be ok though.

Celine
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
That's all very interesting. I'm printing out some of the information so I can relax later and read it.

But since 1987 ONLY 146 handknitters have completed the course. That's not a very big number of "graduates" since 1987 is it?

Eloewien
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
This looks like a good idea, but at the same time, somewhat frustrating. I understand that gauge is important, but I knit to relax, and this just does not sound relaxing. I do love the idea of making a notebook of swatches... samples of each yarn/pattern/needle size I use-- I think I may start doing that :) I always have a little bit of yarn left over to at least do a small sample for color and texture reference. I think I have a good 3" binder around here somewhere....

Boogs
07-20-2006, 05:38 AM
But since 1987 ONLY 146 handknitters have completed the course. That's not a very big number of "graduates" since 1987 is it?
Just a couple of points for clarification - firstly, there are three levels to the course.
You must complete level 1 in order to begin level 2 and level 2 to start on level 3. Each level is harder than the previous one.

Secondly, there is no time frame for completing these levels.

Sometimes life just gets in the way of being able to knit.

Shandeh
07-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I guess I'll never be able to participate in that. The Basics course costs $85. The Master Levels 1, 2 & 3 cost about 100 dollars each! :shock:

I think I'd rather spend my money on yarn and needles, and just enjoy knitting.

VickiIL
07-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I guess I'll never be able to participate in that. The Basics course costs $85. The Master Levels 1, 2 & 3 cost about 100 dollars each! :shock:

I think I'd rather spend my money on yarn and needles, and just enjoy knitting.

This is too much like work. And I'm not sure why I would want to do it. I was always the kind of student that hated to read a book that I was told to read even though I would have probably picked up the same book and loved it if left on my own.

beckyrhae
07-20-2006, 11:26 AM
We are planning on starting a guiild here with the group from the LYS and we are really looking forward to it. Throwing around names and such.

The instructor from our LYS is a woman named Sue and she is so awesome. She just started the master knitter courses. I cant wait to see her progress.