PDA

View Full Version : "Fetching" from Knitty....

Cristy
07-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I really like the idea of "fetching" from the new Knitty issue--it looks like a quick but cute project that would be a good birthday or Christmas gift for a friend....I'd love if someone wanted to join in. If you are interested, please leave a reply here--I'd like to get started in the next week if possible.

Here's a link to the pattern:

fetching (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTfetching.html)

Jenelle
07-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Ohh I'll join! I've been wanting to make them so much. :)

Cristy
07-18-2006, 09:01 PM
great! I want to give a few others some time to join and I need to get my yarn and stuff so let's say we'll start a week from tomorrow--on the 26th. How's that?

What color are you thinking? I can't decide....since I've got a certain friend in mind I've emailed her to ask if she has a favorite accessory color....I don't know whether to go funky or neutral. She's pretty funky.

Jenelle
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking of making it in Violet SS or an olive green yarn. I don't have size 6 DPN's, so I was thinking of either using the magic loop method or two circ method.

What colors are you going to use?

Sue Madelin
07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
I'll join in too. :cheering:

I think I might already have some cashmerino aran - I'll just go and check!

26th it is then! That's the day after my boys break up from school so at least I won't still be rushing from pillar to post with leavers parties, cubs, scouts, birhtday parties etc! DS1 has three parties just this week! One tomorrow, one Friday and one Saturday - plus another one next Tuesday! I'll be needing some knitting therapy by the 26th ;)

catownedanna
07-19-2006, 08:54 AM
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: I like these fingerless gloves. Really like them. And I think they would be a quick and fun knit...

I have 2 skeins of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk at home from the Yarn Swap and I wonder if I can substitute the Casmerino Aran with the Alpaca Silk. They come out the same gauge but I've never touched Cashmerino Aran so I have no idea if they sort of "feel" the same... Anybody knows if this substitute would work out?

I love the Alpaca Silk and I think it'll be glorious to be able to wear it on my hands as fingerless gloves... What do you think?

And... Do I really need to commit to another KAL when I have projects on the needle? Just started a wool sweater for myself and I have some other projects laying around for waiting fr my inspiration... :thinking:

Ladies, do your job and talk me into this! :roflhard:

Toast King
07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I think they'd be gorgeous made from that, I've used it before and it's so soft, isn't it?! If the gauge works out ok, then why not?! What color do you have?

I haven't used cashmerino aran but I have used the baby cashmerino, I don't know how similar they are but baby cashmerino is lovely and soft. Alpaca silk is more fluffy but I think it'd make great gloves :happydance: GO FOR IT!!

Oooh, I think I might join in too, I wonder what to use :thinking: This will be my first KAL! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Cristy
07-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I think every one of you should join! I'm so excited that you guys are interested--YIPPIE!!!

Hey Cat--you NEED these gloves! Think of it as a treat for getting through all of your dd's events this week!!!

I have no idea what color I'll use but I'll likely stick with the yarn called for b/c I LOVE IT...I'm just kicking myself b/c I had found it on clearance a month or so ago at a table sale (in a not so popular color...sort of burnt orange). I almost bought it but didn't...:( I will like choose an odd color since it'll be a gift for a somewhat unusual friend of mine. One the one had I'm tempted to do them in black b/c her job requires black for work but on the other hand...I kind of like the idea of something fun and funky too...I emailed her to ask her favorite color but haven't gotten a response yet (she's in Canada filming a movie!!).

Once I decide on a color...I'll let you guys know. Thanks for joining in...I think I need to pick up some 6 dpns so everyone has another week to get what they need!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2006, 11:29 PM
I'll join :-) I'd like to knit a pair for the new LYS.. this can be my class example!

Sue Madelin
07-20-2006, 03:24 AM
My Debbie Bliss is just Merino Aran rather than cashmerino aran - do you think it'll still work. The gauge on the ball says the same as for the cashmerino.

I really can't buy any more wool! :oops:

catownedanna
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM
I will hopefully have time tonight to do my swatch!!! 'Cause I'm in!!! :cheering:

What color do you have?

I have Sage (colour number 6). The shade I see on this website (http://www.theknittinggarden.com/db-babyalpacasilk.htm) doesn't do the colour any justice. It looks grey (at least on my screen) but in real life, the colour is truly sage.

jamadian75
07-20-2006, 09:03 AM
I really think that one of you must be spying on me to find out which KAL I'm going to want to do next! :shock:
I JUST pulled out some yarn for this and was studying the pattern yesterday, so I'M IN! :cheering:

My yarn is Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK in #349 "Frog" (http://www.angelyarns.com/rowan-yarn/rowan-wool.php/rowan/18) (I hope that shade doesn't give bad vibes :rofling: )

Cristy
07-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I love that Rowan yarn! I think the merino is fine, it just won't be quite as soft.

Hildie--I'm glad you want to join. I can't believe how many people are interested--I'm so glad I decided to do this! :)

I have my dpns...now I gotta pick up the yarn this weekend.

jamadian75
07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I love that Rowan yarn! I think the merino is fine, it just won't be quite as soft.

You know I think you are right. I also have this Jo Sharp blend (http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/IMAGES/parts/448.JPG) in Brindle that I'm using for a lacy scarf, so maybe I could make Fetching to match :thinking:

Cristy
07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
That might be a nice addition to the scarf!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-20-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm using Catalina baby alpaca (http://www.catalinayarns.com/pages/babyworsted/babyworsted.html) in "lavendar melange" :happydance:

this yarn has a lot more yardage to it than the DB, so I might even be able to get 2 pairs out of it!

Cristy
07-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm afraid in the end I'm going to want two pair of these so I'll probably pick up enough yarn for two...the first pair will be a gift for a friend but the second will probably be for me! :)

I like everyone's yarn choices...I think I've decided to use some shade of red.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
well, check that, I'm NOT doing to cataline baby alpaca. The new LYS lady, Kathy, thought they would be cute for a class, but she wants me to do them in a yarn she carries (and I guess I don't blame her....). She won't be getting the new DB in until sometime next week.

I could, of course, make a "practice" pair for me :-) I like the alpaca sooooo much and I bought it on an impulse, so this is a great project.

mintdee
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
You gotta do some for you or you are going to burn out with all that knitting that you are doing for Kathy!

do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2006, 12:55 AM
*wavering*

catownedanna
07-21-2006, 01:26 AM
I made a swatch yesterday. And for the first time ever, I actually did it in the round to see my exact gauge when only knitting... It came out fairly perfect so I'm sticking with it. Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in Sage knitted on 4mm needles. :heart:

I also practiced the cable cast on. I've never done any other cast on than longtail cast on so this was a new to me. Took a couple of tries before I could get it even enough to be satisfied. I now have 45 stitches that are casted on a DPN but not joined. I'll start my knitting tonight! Don't think I can wait until Monday... ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2006, 01:46 AM
I wonder if this could be done on 2 circs or with the magic loop.....

I hate DPNs.

jamadian75
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I wonder if this could be done on 2 circs or with the magic loop.....

I hate DPNs.

I'm about to be there myself Hilde - I've been doing sleeves and hats lately and I think I'm dpn'd out. I have multiple needles in the size for this, so if you're going to do 2 circs, let me know.

Cristy
07-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I'll start my knitting tonight! Don't think I can wait until Monday... ;)

Wednesday...it's Wednesday right...I thought I set this up to start Wednesday...oh lord....I know memory loss comes with pregnancy but this is crazy....please tell me I set this up to start on Wednesday.

btw..speaking of the dpns...I've never done a darn thing on two circs otherwise I'd join you b/c I'm so sick of dpns right now...

I recently purchased dpns--size 1 I believe in a shorter length....do they make larger sizes (like size 6) in shorter lengths? I can't seem to find any but I much prefer my little ones...they don't get in the way quite so much.

Cristy
07-21-2006, 05:43 PM
nope...I said the th 26th...Cat--you're making me sweat!!!

Do you guys want to start Monday instead of Wednesday? I gotta get the yarn still....I think I can get to the not so local LYS this weekend to get the yarn if everyone else is ready...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Did you say you got size ONES????? :shock:

jamadian75
07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to start at least some rows tonight, but I'm having the hardest time finding just the right yarn :rollseyes:

I'm just going to cast on and try it out (right after I read some website about this 2 circulars thingymabob)

Jenelle
07-21-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm just going to cast on and try it out (right after I read some website about this 2 circulars thingymabob)

Amy has a video of it here. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/)

Same with magic loop if anyone needs help.

jamadian75
07-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks Jenelle

DUH :doh:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I know for the 2 circs thing, you split the # of stitches in half, and have one half on one needle, and the other half on the other needle (brilliant, aren't i?)

You do have to be careful to make sure that you always knit with the same needle... if you grab the wrong one you end up with a mess. I took a permenant marker and colored the tips of one needle, so I was always knitting with the "green" needles or the "plain" needles... if I had one of each, I noticed right away.

I'm worried about how this pattern will work on 2 circs, because the stitch repeat 1s over 5 stitches. You can't split 45 evenly, so really you'd put 22 stitches on one needle and 23 on the other. BUT iif you did that, then you'd end up having to "cable" stitches that are on different needles. I think, then, that we can put 22 and 23, we'd have to do 20 and 25... both are divisible by 5, so, theoretically, we won't have to cable over the needle join.

Does this make sense? I'm thinking out loud... yes yes, dangerous...

jamadian75
07-22-2006, 12:01 AM
It does make sense Hilde with the 20 and 25.
I watched the video and started and naturally didn't think through the math as you just laid it out, but I got frustrated trying to remember where my yarn should be after sliding the opposite end and...yadda yadda yadda

I picked up the dpns

jamadian75
07-22-2006, 07:19 AM
I FINALLY got gauge using some silk yarn (I'll wait until I have some rounds completed to show you), but this was only after doing my swatch in the round (thanks Anna for that reminder!)

Ok, dpns and all, I'm going for it.

Cristy
07-22-2006, 12:02 PM
yep...I said size ones....it was for little socks....made me wanna throw up.

I can't pull of the two circs thing yet--at least not with this new project...I think I need to start with a pattern that is written for two circs...All that stuff you said sounded greek to me Hilde...although I'm sure if I watched the video it'd make a little more sense...I've never even thought about how to knit with two circs.

Anyone for starting Monday or do we need to wait until Wednesday...?? I still don't have my yarn...was trying to think of something in my stash I could use instead but can't come up with anything...I doubt as if I have anything that's aran...or nice and soft either...

Sue Madelin
07-22-2006, 02:29 PM
I've onlygot DPNs in a size 6.5. Do you think I could get away with using them or should I find myself a set of size 6s as the pattern suggests?

I'm currently knitting a pair of socks using size 2.5 and they are so small they're driving me mad - it is like knitting with cocktail sticks and it is so slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine size 1s :shock:

If I need new dpn I might be late starting - I guess I could swatch with the ones I've got and see.....................

Cristy
07-22-2006, 05:46 PM
I'd swatch with what you have and see what happens...you might be surprised how close it is or it could just work out perfectly. I assume we aren't starting until Wednesday since no one has said they WANT to start on Monday. I still haven't even gotten my yarn and this whole thing was my idea..so don't fret! ;)

Jenelle
07-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd like to start anytime(just as long as it's before next friday).. I already have everything I need.... I just need to print out the directions and I'm all set!

This will be an awesome project to take along camping :happydance:

catownedanna
07-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Sorry for messing with your head on the starting day, Cristy... I just assumed it was Monday and didn't bother checking the actual date...

I have started and I finished the first one. But I decided to redo parts of it. I thought it came out too short. I want it to cover my knuckles properly and this one didn't. So, I unravelled down to the last cable and have started to knit extra rounds. Haven't started the cables yet. Hope to do so later today.

I also added rows to the thumb as I want it to be longer. I did pick up four stitches on both sides between the lower and the upper needle. On the next row I did 2*k2tog on these to end up with the 17 stitches I was supposed to have. I hardly got any holes at all where the thumb start.

jamadian75
07-23-2006, 08:18 AM
I also added rows to the thumb as I want it to be longer. I did pick up four stitches on both sides between the lower and the upper needle. On the next row I did 2*k2tog on these to end up with the 17 stitches I was supposed to have. I hardly got any holes at all where the thumb start.

First - way to go starting already!

Also, I know I'm going to need some help on this "no hole at the thumb join thing"; I made a mitten and had this problem and it de-motivated me to start the 2nd one. :(

I'm casting on sometime today!

Cristy
07-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I was kind of worried about the length of the hand part of it b/c I'm making these for a friend and I believe her hand (not counting the fingers) is a little taller/longer than mine. She's very tall and thin so I plan to measure it on my hand, make it a round or two longer if needed, and hope it works.

I am leaving in a couple of hours for the LYS and I'm going to pick up my yarn. I have to go from there to a board meeting for ASA and then I'll be back home around 7 or 8 tonight. I want to spend a little time w/ dd as she's been away since Thursday with her grandparents. If I'm not exhausted by then, I'll at least get my swatching done tonight. I may start tomorrow but I'm not for sure.

Congrats on getting one done...does that mean that it really doesn't take very long? You guys may have to help me with these--I've never done mittens or anything like that so I may be somewhat confused with the thumb and finger parts.

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
hehe sure I'll join on this one as well, am thinking of making mine in Bernat's Peacock, good color of electric blue I'd say.

Cristy
07-23-2006, 12:26 PM
cool beans! :) Nice to have you along!

Cristy
07-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Hey--I just wanted to let you guys know I got my yarn and I'm about to start my swatch. I ended up with a substitue that seems like the same yarn--I swear if it weren't labeled I wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

I will be using Classic Yarns Cashsoft Aran. it has 3% more microfiber than the debbie bliss Cashmerino and 3% less cashmere. I bought it in red-The yardage is slightly less (3 less yards) so I had to buy an extra skein...darn. I was so mad about it that I bought an extra skein (3 total of red) and two more in green. :roflhard: :rofling:

I also bought an extra pair of dpns in case my guage didn't work out quite right...

I'l start swatching tonight.

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 11:47 PM
okay, I'm at the point of where you use the waste yarn to knit the 7 stitches, problem is, I've never tried this technique of using waste yarn, what is it that I need to do?

catownedanna
07-24-2006, 02:23 AM
She's very tall and thin so I plan to measure it on my hand, make it a round or two longer if needed, and hope it works.

I have long palms and fingers and I ended up adding 10 rows (or somehting like that) before doing the final cable section. That way I got it to be as long as I wanted it to be.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my knitting with me today for a photo shot but I'll try to remember tomorrow. Seeing the length of mine might get you an idea of how long you want to make yours.

okay, I'm at the point of where you use the waste yarn to knit the 7 stitches, problem is, I've never tried this technique of using waste yarn, what is it that I need to do?

Did you figure it out?

You take some waste yarn, knit the first 7 stitches of your round with the waste yarn (leaving your working yarn hanging). Then you cut your waste yarn, slip the 7 stitches back onto the left needle, pick up your working yarn and knit the 7 stitches (you knit in the actual "waste yarn stitches") and then continue in the pattern of cable and purl stitch.

Did that make sense?

Later, when you're about to knit the thumb, you remove the waste yarn at the same time as you put the live stitches on needles, on by one. Hope it works out!

Also, I know I'm going to need some help on this "no hole at the thumb join thing"; I made a mitten and had this problem and it de-motivated me to start the 2nd one.

I didn't get any holes when picking up the double amount of stitches and then knitting those picked up stitches together two by two. I'd suggest you try that. Also, when starting the thumb, you'll attach new yarn, right? That will give you a free "end" to use if you need to close any holes that might have shown up anyways. You can stitch it up a bit by sewing from the inside.

Rorshach
07-24-2006, 02:37 AM
okay, I think I see what you mean, am about to give it a shot, and I'll let you know how it worked out. Thanks for the tip. :D

Cristy
07-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Now I'm feeling really behind...I hope to get some knitting done today--I didn't finish swatching last night b/c I had to play w/ the cast on--it's wonky but I got it to work.

Listening to you guys talk about this pattern is scaring me! Hopefully I can get some serious knitting in today so I can see what you guys are talking about!

Hildie--have you started yet?

Rorshach
07-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Catownedanna, that tip worked out great. Speaking of which, I finished the left hand glove, and I have provided a couple of pics so ya'll can see how it turned out. I also embellished it a little on the thumb, instead of just having 4 St st rows, I have it so that I have small cables going the other way. I think it worked out well. Other than that, just going to steam block it and start the other hand and (hopefully!) finish today.

Btw Cristy, only reason I started so soon is because I'm going on a trip Wednesday, and trying to knit and drive at the same time doesn't work out too well. :lol:

Cristy
07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
cool--that looks awesome! I still haven't gotten beyond casting on...whatever made me thought today would be a peaceful day?!?!

My snb meets at 6:00 and I plan to take it with me.

Jenelle
07-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Ohh I love that color Rorshach! Very nice!

I'm starting on mine today. I found the most beautiful color of Simply Soft in my stash and I have to make my sister a pair. She looked at the pattern before I printed it and she just fell in love :lol:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Nope I haven't started yet. I've been a crazy woman with the christmas in july thing last weekend... not I have a paper due on the 30th. :rollseyes: (I mean, it's been due on the 30th for about 6 weeks, but I'm just starting it, hehehehe). Anywho, I'm going to boycott knitting :shock: for the next 2 days, so I finish my paper. I'm going to try to start on Thursday.

jamadian75
07-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Phew!
1st one done (Mandalay 100% silk yarn)

Thanks Anna for the tip about the extra stitches to close the thumb join gap - worked like a charm!!

Now, send me good vibes so I don't get 2nd glove syndrome ;)

Jenelle
07-25-2006, 12:55 AM
That's beautiful jamadian!

I started on mine and got done with the cabling part... Now I have to do the body of it.

catownedanna
07-25-2006, 02:56 AM
This is a picture of my left fetching.

I'm knitting my pair in Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (colour sage). I lengthened the body with about 10 rows before starting the last cable section. I added a couple of rows on the thumb as well. I didn't really care for the picot edge so I did a basic "purl bind off" on both the thumb and the hand.

I :heart: it!

catownedanna
07-25-2006, 02:58 AM
And I'm glad my tips on picking up extra stitches when starting the thumb, and my explanation on how to get the waste yarn working, helped! :D

mulene
07-25-2006, 06:46 AM
I love the idea of these. I actually threw together the half dome hat - I tell you I think theres an issue with that pattern. I followed it exactly and the numbers of stitches didn't match up towards the end. Plus it seems a bit err odd - anyway I'd planned on doing these do they really only take one ball?

Ladybug Lady
07-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Can I play too???? :)

I just started my Fetching over the weekend, then thought.... "Maybe I should see if there's a KAL"

I've never done a KAL before, so I'm excited about that, too!

I've practiced using DPN's and did well, but ended up frogging it because I wasn't really making anything. This will be my first real project on DPN's.

I'm using *cough* *cough* Red Heart Hokey Pokey - cheap yarn bought in desperation at Wally World at midnight lol *cough* *cough* OMG! I'm turning into a yarn snob!!!

The color is "lt plum", a variegated lavendar with a tweedy strand running through it. Quite a PITA to work with, the plys split apart if you look at them wrong. But it was a project that HAD to be started that day, NOTHING else I have on needles even remotely interested me, but I had some free time to knit!

This pair will be for me, so the yarn quality is not an issue. In the winter, I always wrap in an afghan while surfing, but my poor little mouse hand gets soo sooooooo cold and chilly! lol. I could have gotten away with making just one, until I realized that the one I started is the LEFT hand and I mouse with my RIGHT! (And I'm WAY to OCD to wear a mitt called the 'left hand' mitt on my right hand! yes, I know I am sick. the little green pills help immensely!)

So, maybe I'll dig up my dig camera so I can post my progress, I'm on my first one, about half way through the 14 rounds of ribbing. I may make it longer though.

Oh yeah, and I'm using size FOURS!! (I TOLD you I just HAD to start!) I usually need one size down from the pattern to hit gauge, and I didn't have any 5's so I'm using 4's. It's coming out a bit tight and narrow, but since my wrist is the ONLY thing I have that's slender, I'm not worried about the fit.

Next pair will be a gift pair done with nice yummy yarn and the proper size needles, I PROMISE!!!

Toast King
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow! Great work everyone, very "fetching"... :roflhard:

I haven't yet started but my yarn has arrived now - hoooray! I went for the yarn the pattern suggested since I loved how soft the baby cashmerino felt... yummmmm.... in RED!
https://www.kangaroo.uk.com/shades/shade00234446.jpg

... slightly off-topic, but I opened the package this morning only to discover it's the exact same shade and my new shoes!..... just had to take a picture before work this morning to show you...

WARNING: Gratuitous yarn/shoe porn below ;)

http://static.flickr.com/60/198138975_c47ccae409.jpg

Will post some pictures when I finally get around to knitting this!

Sue Madelin
07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love your shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Yarn looks lovely too ;)

Jenelle
07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Cute shoes!

The yarn is lovely too :P

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I love the shoes too!!!

I like the purl bind off, Cat.... I wasn't crazy about the picot edge either.

:inlove: Toasty :inlove: Now you have a whole little accessory scheme going on!

Rorshach
07-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Hehe, had never done a picot edge, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I can see what a PITA it is, though.

Jenelle
07-25-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm confused about something..

Next Round: Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and k them again using working yarn; work in 4x1 Rib as set to end.

What do they mean? :??

jamadian75
07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm confused about something..

Next Round: Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and k them again using working yarn; work in 4x1 Rib as set to end.

What do they mean? :??

Hey Jenelle! I'll give this a shot, and if it isn't clear, check catownedanna's post a couple pages back.

When you get to this round, grab some contrasting yarn, anything that you don't mind using about 10" of, and something that' s not too bulky. You're going to "save" some stitches in your knitting for the thumb by knitting them using this waste yarn to hold them in place until you finish knitting the rest of the rounds for the hand of the glove.

Using the waste yarn, knit 7 stitches from your dpn - I find it's best to just make a small loop with the waste yarn, then pull that up through your first stitch on the needle - the same way you do when you're picking up stitches. Then continue and knit six more sts with that waste yarn. So now on your right needle you have 7 stitches done in the waste yarn, and on your left needle you have 8 stitches left in your regular yarn (assuming you've split all your stitches onto 3 dpns).

Slip the 7 sts you made with waste yarn from your right needle back on to your left needle. Drop the end of the waste yarn (or just snip it off a couple inches away from your work), and pick up your glove yarn (the working yarn). Knit those 7 new/waste yarn stitches again, using the working yarn, then do k2, p, k4, p. [this last part is just continuing the 4x1 rib you've been doing all along]

If you've done it correctly, as you continue the rounds of the glove, you'll have one line of stitches that stand out because they are done in the contrasting yarn color. When you're finished with the hand, you are going to "unzip" this waste yarn and expose 2 rows of live stitches, 6 facing down from the top, and 7 facing up from the bottom (you'll see this direction later in the pattern). This is where you tiny thumb tube will grow from to finish the glove.

I hope this helps...if someone else is at this point, maybe they can show pictures :??

Good luck!

Jenelle
07-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Thank you! Now I understand how that's going to work.

I'm using the Magic loop method though. Do you think it would matter? I did split it 20/25 like Hilde said...

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Thank you! Now I understand how that's going to work.

I'm using the Magic loop method though. Do you think it would matter? I did split it 20/25 like Hilde said...

I do think that this should still work the same way even with magic loop as long as you've marked where your "round" starts, you just knit 7 stitches in from that point. I haven't used this method before, so I'm not positive, but I can't see how it would change.

Jenelle
07-26-2006, 12:37 AM
I just got it done and it works.

Thanks so much again!

catownedanna
07-26-2006, 01:32 AM
I like the purl bind off, Cat.... I wasn't crazy about the picot edge either.

A nickname!!! :cheering: :heart: :D

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 08:08 AM
I just got it done and it works.

Thanks so much again!

Oh goodie!! :happydance: So glad to help out; you are welcome!

Cat - I love it! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
oooo, didn't you have one???? I started typing Catownedanna but then I wasn't sure if I was spelling it correctly :oops: So i just shortened it. I HEREBY DECLARE YOU "CAT" :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to cast on today... IF i can find the right needles. The new LYS near me doesn't have the size I think I need (and I'll get stuck talking there forever). I could drive an hour to the other LYS... but that seems a little much.

I thought about using my denises, but then I'd have to switch the tips every time I switched needles (I'm going to go with the 2 circs, see how it goes)

Or, I could just bite the bullet and go with the DPNs. :shock:

AmandaC
07-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Ok, I'm joining in too :cheering: I don't have a full ball of the DB tho (leftovers from Tubey) so I am going to do them striped!!!

Just going to check out the cable cast on then I'm go go go .... :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
OOOOO the stripes will make pretty bi-colored cables :inlove:

Andrea
07-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I just bought a skein of Misti Alpaca Worsted...all it says on the label is 109 yards/50 grams...no gauge or recommended needle size :thinking: I wonder if it would work. I was going to do the ones from Sally Melville's Purl Stitch book, but I like these because they're shorter :thinking: Would be nice in the squad car in the winters :thinking:

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Welcome Amanda!!

Andrea - can you find the yarn you bought online maybe?

Does it match something here (http://www.yarndex.com/search.cfm?action=search_basic&ss=misti+alpaca&wt_1=on&wt_2=on&wt_3=on&wt_4=on&wt_5=on&wt_6=on). If so you could find the gauge.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2006, 07:50 PM
I cast on for mitt #1! :cheering: The alpaca was too thin, so I'm using the yummie cascade heather that SJ got me!!! :inlove:

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Go Hilde!! :D

In your honor, I'm casting on for #2 tonight...best way to avoid SGS (Second Glove Syndrome) is to just go for it!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Well, I've hit a snag :-( I bought the wrong size needles!!!! I meant to get 7s, but somehow I got 5s. I was talking to the lady in the LYS, and she was "helping" me with the needles... *sigh* I just wasn't paying attention I guess. Did I notice when i took them out of the package? No..... I was knitting along, and the phone rang, and when i picked up my knitting again I was like "hmmm, something's not right..." :doh: They look REALLY good but they're going to be way too small.

On the good side, they'd be good for my 6 year old niece, if I knew she wouldn't LOSE them :rollseyes:

The 2 circs thing is going well, though. Nevertheless, I'm going to have to try again tomorrow.

:frog:

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 09:22 PM
May the force be with you Hilde...you'll get there!

Toast King
07-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Oh no Hilde, sorry to hear that - they do sound cute for your niece though!

Did you guys ever do that thing where you tie your mittens together on a long piece of string and hang them through your coat so you didn't lose them in the school yard?! :rofling:
http://www.cathkidston.com/images/products/144872.jpg

Maybe that could help if you decide to make these for your niece?

I'm determined to CO tonight, will hopefully post some kind of progess soon!

Andrea
07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Ooooh I found some (http://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=85) online!

Looks like my Misti is 5 stitches/inch on US 7 :thinking:

Ladybug Lady
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Ok, I'm nearly done with mitt one, and am HATING this silly picot bind off deal. It doesn't look cute enough to be worth the bother.

Earlier, someone mentioned using a purl bind off. Where can I find instructions for that?

Thanks!!!!

I've already bought my Encore in a yummy raspberry to make a 'real' set for my best friends birthday. I'd better get a move-on, her BD is 8-05!!

(Good thing we have a long standing rule that gifts received within a month of the actual observed day are considered scrupulously punctual!) :D

jamadian75
07-27-2006, 05:03 PM
(Good thing we have a long standing rule that gifts received within a month of the actual observed day are considered scrupulously punctual!) :D

Ummmm...I must implement this immediately with everyone I know.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2006, 06:08 PM
agreed!!!

catownedanna
07-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Earlier, someone mentioned using a purl bind off. Where can I find instructions for that?

It was me mentioning it. I don't know if "purled bind off" is an actual term, but what I meant was that I purled while binding off instead of knitting. Know what I mean? It creates purl bumps at the edge and I like that look.

catownedanna
07-28-2006, 01:26 AM
I casted on for the second fetching a couple of days ago. Brought it to work yesterday and knitted along happily without glancing at the pattern but just using my notes from knitting the first one. But I just glanced at them as well as I figured that I knew the pattern directions... :verysad:

Ended up having to frog 8 rows containing 2 cable rows and I'm so frustrated with it... Hope to be able to start knitting again on my next break...

Rorshach
07-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Well I finished mine on the way up to Northern Idaho, where I'm at for my family reunion. My cousin liked them so much, that I gave them to her(heh if her mother doesn't steal them from her first!)

Sue Madelin
07-28-2006, 04:41 AM
Well I finished mine on the way up to Northern Idaho, where I'm at for my family reunion. My cousin liked them so much, that I gave them to her(heh if her mother doesn't steal them from her first!)

Ahhh - aren't you nice!

I've just finished my first one and 'll post a pic of it later today - I'm going to cast on for the second one straight away so I don't get second glove syndrome. I'm already suffering from second sock syndrome because I can't bear to start the second one on those itty bitty size 2.5 needles! But it is still in the 90s F here in the UK at the moment so that's another good excuse to put them off - it's way too hot to wear them anyway!

jamadian75
07-28-2006, 06:19 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Rorshach

What a compliment that they are being fought over already :D

Cat, sorry to hear that :( Hope you were able to plow ahead!

Sue - looking forward to your picture!

Toast King
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
You're all doing so well :cheering: Sue - agreed about the weather, just not suitable for gloves at all!

I finally have a little progress on my first one, I'm loving the colour of this yarn!

http://static.flickr.com/78/200267219_96a7b48fa3.jpg

I've just done the 18 rows rib, now I need to figure out what the heck I'm supposed to do with that waste yarn.... I'm about to go back and read all your wise words from earlier...

Jeep_Girl
07-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh I love that pink!! What yarn and color is that?!

Cristy
07-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey guys--I didn't forget you, things have just gotten hectic at work--I haven't gotten very far with my first one as a result but I'm loving how good everyone else's work looks! :)

jamadian75
07-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh I love that pink!! What yarn and color is that?!

That is the DB Cashmerino Aran (as called for in the Pattern) in RED.
If you look back a page or 2, you'll see that it came with a matching pair of the CUTEST shoes ;) Hopefully Toast King is somewhere sporting them right now!

Sue Madelin
07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Ok - Finally :oops: here is a pic of the left fetching.

As you will see from the photo I made the cuff longer by 5 rows and a cable and I also did the same thing to the length of the hand warming part. This meant that I will need two balls of wool to make both gloves but as I'm stash busting with this project I don't mind.

I really love these gloves - I've already started the second one - and I'm going to make a pair for my MIL for Christmas.

(ETA I also made the thumb slightly longer)

jamadian75
07-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I love your yarn choice! And it looks like the adjustments went really well!!
Great job!

nicknit_70
07-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Ohhh fellow knitters...

I wish that I had known about this forum a couple of weeks ago as I was wanting to knit this pattern (fetching) and could not figure out some of the steps... Alas, I am working on my first adult beanie now so hopefully when I finish my projects I am working on currently, some of you might still be knitting this pattern and be able to give me some tips when I start!

For all of you knitting fetching now though - hope its going fabulously!

Happy knitting!

nicknit_70

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-30-2006, 05:08 PM
OMG someone answer quick before this project gets lost in my pile of WsIP!!!

I cast on this morning (okay I got up at 12:30, so technicaly this afternoon and have been a knittng MACHINEEEEEEEEEEE. I just got to the thumb thing, did the wast yarn, knitted them again and completed the round. NOW I'm back at those 7 stitches again.... should I just knit them, or K4P1?

NicKnit, this KAL will be ongoing for a while, I think, since some of us are going to make more than one pair (I have yarn for 3 more pairs!) so just join on in whenever you're ready!!! We love to have you!

Angelia
07-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Lovely work, Sue! :inlove: :inlove:

Gee whiz, Hildie, you have been a knitting machine! :shock: Wish I could answer your question, but I haven't joined this KAL yet... :blush:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
dammit, ang, I thought you'd answered me *grumbling*

my conviction is fading.....

Angelia
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
dammit, ang, I thought you'd answered me *grumbling*

my conviction is fading.....

:verysad:

Sorry...

Everyone's conviction in me fades sooner or later...

:verysad:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-30-2006, 06:15 PM
not my conviction in YOU (can you have conviction IN a PERSON?)... my conviction to finish!!! I :heart: you!

Anyway, i was just thinking, I must have to go back to the K4P1, because I'll have to cable in 3 more rounds, and I need somethng to cable at that point... if I just knit the stitches then it will look all funky.

I just must have went a little http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/devilspaz.gif for a second.

So thanks for your help, Ang!!! :thumbsup:

Angelia
07-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I was just kidding, Hildie! ;)

AmandaC
07-31-2006, 07:13 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH! :doh: :doh: :doh:

I was stash busting these and I am 3 rows short of yarn on my 2nd glove!!! So now I have to buy a whole ball just to finish... :wall:

Oh well ...

do you reckon I could do these in Noro? (I have some of that leftover too!)

jamadian75
07-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Hilde did you figure it out!!??? I'd hate for you to come this far and not go all the way! You're right about the 4 x 1 ribbing, you do continue it (you end up doing k2, p1 right after the thumb stitches, then the k4,p1 all the rest of the way around.

Amanda - I totally feel it for you...I made mine just a few rows longer, so I knew I'd need a 2nd ball anyway, but now I have to consider what to do with the 2nd ball that is now a few yards short. Maybe a matching short nekerchief-style scarf? :thinking:

Wishing you great progress everyone!! This may be the gift I make for everyone this year instead of socks!

Here are mine finished...I goofed on the L and made an extra cable round. I also frogged the left to redo the BO and use the purl bind off originally posted by Cat. The yarn is Mandalay 100% silk in Indigo Tweed. Feels like squishy denim. :heart:

Andrea
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Those are PURTY!
:inlove:
I don't think I can officially say I'm in the KAL because I don't think I'll be doing these for awhile, but I am excited to do them!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I figured it out, J :-) You have such looooooooong graceful fingers!!!

Amanda, using noro is a GREAT idea!!! Noro is about 110 yards (i think) so you'd be able to make a pair from one ball, and be able to keep your gauge swatch too (if you're into that sort of thng).

I finished my left fetching last night, but I'm not sure if I have enough yarn left to do another.... :thinking: Of course, i didn't bother keeping the yarn lable, so who knows, right? :doh: Good news is that the 2circ method worked out SO well. It even inspired me to maybe try my socks again, but using 2 circs instead of DPNs.

I got some DB cashmerino aran the other day, so I might start a new pair with that... I'm going to experiment with adding some beads on the purl stitches, I just have to figure out how many beads to pre-string.

jamadian75
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
I figured it out, J :-) You have such looooooooong graceful fingers!!!

I got some DB cashmerino aran the other day, so I might start a new pair with that... I'm going to experiment with adding some beads on the purl stitches, I just have to figure out how many beads to pre-string.

Why thank you very much!! Maybe I should have gone for that career as a guitarist after all! Or maybe piano!?? :rofling:

I LOVE the beading idea, and I think I'll try the 2 circs method next time. I'd love a new techniqued to get hooked on :thumbsup: Lord knows I have enough size 6 needles to do a few pairs of this on 2 circs at the same time :rollseyes:

catownedanna
08-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I've brought my right fetching to work and I work on it during my breaks. I bound off the palm part on my last break and will hopefully start and finish the thumb tomorrow. Might be able to get pictures then too! :heart:

I like that idea, Hildie!!! :thumbsup:

Jamadian75, your fetchings turned out great. I like that colour! :cheering:

nicknit_70
08-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Ok fellow knitters...

As mentioned in other knitting comments I have made - new to the whole knitting thing although pretty happy that in my first 7wks of knitting I have managed to complete a couple of baby hats and a couple of scarves. I did however tonight fail dismally at making an adult beannie... the size was medium (Hot Hat from Stitch & Bitch Book) and alas, it is too small - I thought medium would still be an adult size... is it does anyone know? If you have made this and can let me know that would be fab.

Anyway, I digress... so I have decided that to I am up for another challenge although better not fail at this one otherwise there may be tears - lol :( I would love to make fetching as I do love the pattern and a couple of weeks when I looked the pattern over, I could not figure out some of the stuff - so I thought - the knitting extrodinaire gang already doing this project can probably help me out when I get stuck.

So - the long & short of it is that I am joining the rest of this crew. I don't have Debbie Bliss Cashmerino but instead am going to use Jo Sharp Aran Tweed which is also the same ply - have a really pretty lilac colour!

So better stop writing so I can get-a-knitting :thumbsup: Will let you know how I am going with it tomorrow night.

Cheers,

nicknit_70

jamadian75
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Yay nicknit! Glad to have you aboard! We're happy to help and cheer you on! :thumbsup:

jamadian75
08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Hello gang!

Just a note that there is also a KAL going on for this at Craftster (http://www.craftster.org/forum).

There was an interesting post with details (and pictures) there about adding a thumb gussett (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=105616.msg1056735#msg1056735) if anyone is interested.

I hope to start on my next Pair of these this week; I will also be using the Jo Sharp Aran Tweed to make a pair to match this scarf:

Toast King
08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Welcome nicknit! And well done on everyone's finished Fetchings, all looks great!!

I just finshed mine & got BF to take a picture... I plan to use mine on my bike, so here I am (well, my podgy little fingers at least):

http://static.flickr.com/73/204240373_edf98f8097.jpg

I didn't make any alterations to the pattern (apart from binning the picot BO) as I only had one ball of yarn - I had quite a bit left so maybe I knit them a bit tight. I really like the longer versions you've made so maybe I'll have another go soon :thumbsup:

ps. Jamadian - yep, I wore the shoes this weekend! Not sure they'd really look right with the gloves tho.... or on my bike :shock:

jamadian75
08-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Toast King those are FAB!! :inlove:
And what a great way to use them!

aylaanne
08-02-2006, 04:55 AM
I did this without even knowing it was a KAL (although I should have guessed, I suppose). I made mine with Classic Elite Flash yarn, and will offer them to my sister for her to use when she plays xylophone with the High School Marching Band this fall (as an eighth grader! Go my sister!) since the HS's colors are Orange and Black.

I don't want to kill KH's bandwidth, so I'll just redirect you to the post where I put the FO picture with all my other FOs from this month:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=224778#224778

Oh, I forgot to mention that I added my waste yarn the same way I add yarn to a project when I switch balls or whatever. I pull out about eight inches of yarn and tie it around a safety pin, then pin it to the project somewhere to the right of the stitch where I'm adding the yarn. This way, it's anchored to the project so I can keep tension (I'm a continental knitter) and I have enough of a tail to weave in later.

AmandaC
08-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Amanda, using noro is a GREAT idea!!! Noro is about 110 yards (i think) so you'd be able to make a pair from one ball, and be able to keep your gauge swatch too (if you're into that sort of thng).

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Gauge swatch :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: what's that then :oops: :oops: :hiding: don't do those :oops: i find them toooooooooooooooooo boring! :oops:

AmandaC
08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Yay, my ball of yarn arrived today ... so here are the finished fetchings :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-02-2006, 05:56 PM
*still reeling from your unswatchiness* :shock: I love swatches. I am a swatch freak. I swatch at least twice for every project :oo: Maybe I'm wierd...

they look great!!!!!!!!!! .... I love that..."my yarn came today, here they are finished!" :thumbsup:

aylaanne
08-03-2006, 12:08 AM
I love the stripes!

catownedanna
08-03-2006, 04:39 AM
Amanda, I love the stripes and the colours put together!

catownedanna
08-03-2006, 04:44 AM
I finished my first pair of fetching today!!! I :heart: them and I'm sure I'll be making more pairs.

I used Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in Sage (colour nr 6). Each skein has 76 meters in it and I used maybe 3/4 of the second skein. I lengthened the palm body part with 11 rounds and the thumb with 5. I didn't care for the picot bind off but used a simple purled bind off.

And as I didn't have anyone help me with picture taking, I present you with this:

AmandaC
08-03-2006, 04:47 AM
*still reeling from your unswatchiness* :shock: I love swatches. I am a swatch freak. I swatch at least twice for every project :oo: Maybe I'm wierd...

I know .... I am very naughty! but I get so excited about starting a new project that I want to start it straight away ...

I will swatch in future, I promise ... because I have now knitted a v-neck vest that I will have to lose weight before I can wear it :oops: lesson learnt :thumbsup:

AmandaC
08-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Oh Cat, that made me laugh out loud :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: and in a VERY quiet office this is not good :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

jamadian75
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Cat - HILARIOUS :roflhard: Purrrrty toooooes :-P

GREAT job!

Toast King
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That yarns looks FAB!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: (haha - little pat on back for Anna's secret pal.... ;) .... :rofling: :rofling: )

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Cat :roflhard: :heart: :roflhard: :heart: You are too funny! Great looking mitts!

catownedanna
08-04-2006, 01:53 AM
:oops: Glad you liked the picture... I was desperate to get both fetchings in the same picture and after trying to take a picture by holding the camera between my chin and breastbone, using my chin to press the button.... Well, I gave up. With a neck pain.

And sat down on the ground instead. Much easier! :rofling:

I'm thinking about getting myself some new yarn for another pair of fetchings. I really enjoyed making them!

AmandaC
08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Don't you have a timer function on your camera?? Now why didn't I think of that when I tried to take pictures of mine?? :doh:

Liliyarn
08-06-2006, 01:34 PM
It has been a long time hunting size 6 needles in either DPNs or two circulars. All the craft stores and LYS just didnt have them. I finally found an extra of the needlemaster 6 points. So, I got them. I finished my left glove last night in 100% hand painted alpaca. The varigated doesn't show the cables well. However it fits wonderfully and is so soft. I'm doing the right one tonight!! Then I'll do a pair in a solid alpaca silk blend. This pattern is a great last minute one skein gift! Will post pics later after my business trip.

nicknit_70
08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Ok so I have not commented for a while but been busy, busy with work!!

I have started my first fetching and I think it is coming along nicely - it is after all my first attempt of knitting something like this :)

Not looking forward to that part about knitting the 7 stitches with the waste yarn blah blah...

Will probably need to call on the knitting crew for assistance when I get to this part so stay tuned.... very exciting though!

nicknit_70
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey Knitters,

Need assistance on the below:

Question (1)

Just wondering... I can see a few people have done a few extra rounds for the middle part and for the thumb too! Can anyone suggest how many extras I should do of each as I would like the middle bit and thumb bit to be a bit longer but would like a suggestion as new to knitting so hardly in a position to start re-writing patterns - he he.

Question (2)

So when I then go on to the waste yarn bit, have a few questions...

a. do I knit the 7 stitches with the waste yarn with normal stitches - meaning not 4-1 rib and then when I slip the stitches back to the left needle and knit them again with the working yarn, knit them in the 4-1 rib pattern. Therefore, knit 4, purl 1, knit 2 (to make up the 7 stitches)?

b. when the patterns states 'work in 4-1 rib as set to end' - does this mean that the 8th & 9th stitch (following on from the 7th that has been knitted with the working yarn) are going to be a knit stitches and then I do my purl stitch and just continue to finish the round in this pattern?

Hope someone can help me on this one... I will check back tomorrow morning to see if anyone can offer assistance.

Until then - happy knitting!

Cheers,

nicknit

Toast King
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey Knitters,
Question (2)

So when I then go on to the waste yarn bit, have a few questions...

a. do I knit the 7 stitches with the waste yarn with normal stitches - meaning not 4-1 rib and then when I slip the stitches back to the left needle and knit them again with the working yarn, knit them in the 4-1 rib pattern. Therefore, knit 4, purl 1, knit 2 (to make up the 7 stitches)?

b. when the patterns states 'work in 4-1 rib as set to end' - does this mean that the 8th & 9th stitch (following on from the 7th that has been knitted with the working yarn) are going to be a knit stitches and then I do my purl stitch and just continue to finish the round in this pattern?

G'day nicknit! :thumbsup:

I didn't make any length alterations so I'll leave Question 1 to someone else...

In answer to Question 2 - yes and yes! You've figured it out!

Knit (just plain knit, not rib) the 7 sts with your waste yarn, the slip them back onto the left needle. Then, just ignore that they are waste yarn sts and start to knit in the 4x1 rib pattern as if they are normal sts with your working yarn.

In reality, this will be:
1st 7 waste yarn sts: k4, p1, k2
8th, 9th and 10th sts (back to normal sts): k2, p1
11th st onwards - [k4, p1] pattern as normal.
When you are back to your stitch marker, that will be one round worked and you'll have a little 7 st long "stripe" of waste yarn in your pattern.

Hope that helps - but you'd already figured it out without any help! Good luck :) :XX: :XX: :XX:

allegra918
08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I just finished making Glampyre's Boobholder and I have a ton of yarn left over. i think I will use it for Fetching (once I learn to get over my fear of DPNs)

Here's a pic of the back of my sweater so you can see the yarn!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Allegra, try using 2 circs instead! It was sooooooo easy!

allegra918
08-07-2006, 04:57 PM

I like that idea! I'm going to try socks (for the first time)on 2 circs as well!!
Thanks Hildie!!

jamadian75
08-07-2006, 10:55 PM

I agree with Hilde 100%. ;)

I just fell in love with the 2 circ method for another set of wrist warmers I'm working on...I tried it after seeing Hilde post about this here early on.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
:thumbsup:

I know everything *shugs* :D

catownedanna
08-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Question (1)

Just wondering... I can see a few people have done a few extra rounds for the middle part and for the thumb too! Can anyone suggest how many extras I should do of each as I would like the middle bit and thumb bit to be a bit longer but would like a suggestion as new to knitting so hardly in a position to start re-writing patterns - he he.

Well, it depends on how much yarn you have and how long you want it too be.

I ended up with 11 added rounds for the body but that's what fitted my hands. I'd suggest you decide how long you want your fetchings to be, measure to see how long one of your cable sections is and subtract this measurement from your desired length. And then keep knitting 'til you get to the point where it makes sense to start the final cable section.

When it comes to the thumb, you can easily try your fetching on and decide when enough is enough. :D

Hope it works out for you! :thumbsup:

nicknit_70
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Cat & Toast King - you guys ROCK!

Thanks for the tips as I have now completed the main part of one of my fetching gloves. I am soooo excited as they look fab (at least I think so - lol) and I can't wait to see what it looks like when the thumb is done.

Alas... the time is now 1.20am and I have a long day in the office tomorrow so really need to go to bed now.

I have removed my waste yarn and put the 7 & 6 stitches on 2 dp needles. If you have any tips for the next part, bring forth your most excellent knowledge as I am ready to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya guts!

PS - Hildie the next time I make these I wouldn't mind trying the circs. I will finish this one off & then will come knockin' on your door. :thumbsup:

:heart: :cheering: :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-08-2006, 01:49 PM
When I did the thumb hole, I left a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long tail, just in case I had a hole at the join. I also picked up 3 and 4 stitches "extra" instead of the and 3 recommended, and just knit them together on the next round... that eliminated the hole issue alltogether, so I didn't neeed the long tail after all.

Andrea
08-08-2006, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup:

I know everything *shugs* :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nicknit_70
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
OMG - I am soooooooo stuck (and frustrated - she sighs)...

I seriously need some help with this thumb business. I did the waste yarn bit correctly, I put the 7 stitches on the lower bit on a needle and the 6 stitches on the needle on the top but following the pattern bit on this section is making me loopy and I don't even know where to begin.

I knit the 7 stitches and then pick up 2 although I don't even know if I am meant to pick this up from the other (stitches popping through the outer side - or stiches poking out from the inner side (i.e. coming from inside) - does that even make sense (arrggghhh). Then when I go to knit the next 3, my yarn is in the wrong spot - it is now inbetween the needle that has the 7 stitches knitted and the first picked up stitch on the second needle.

How am I meant to then go on an knit the next 3. The way I figure it (and I know I am soooooo figuring it all wrong) - even if I manage to pull the yarn across to knit 3 stitches (of the 6 on the top needle) - my yarn is still going to be in the wrong spot for the next 3 to be knitted....

So sad - it was coming along so nicely...

Can anyone help (Cat, Hildie - anyone...)?

Has anyone got pics??

When the thumb bit is ready for knitting in the round as well, how many needles should I have stitches on (is it 3)? and how many stitches should be on each needle and how are they positioned - i.e. 7 on the bottom, 5 on another and 5 on another....

Like Milla said in 5th Element (for those who have watched the film) - pleeaaaasssseeeee heeeeellllllpppp.

For the more visual people... this is how I felt before the thumb bit :cheering:

Now - the range of emotions I am going through...

:shrug: :doh: :verysad: :waah: :crying:

Now it is time for me to....

:zzz:

nicknit

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-09-2006, 03:29 PM
OKay, I think I know what you did wrong.

When you "pick up" the stitches, you're not just putting the loops of those stitches that are already there onto your needle. You have to actually put the needle through and make a NEW stitch. It sounds like you just picked up the loops and stuck them on your needle.

Since i I did mine on circs and not DPNS, this might not be helpful, but what I did was to "pick up" the stitch, place it on my LH needle, then knit it Itransferring the new stitch to the RH needle).

Hope that helps.

jamadian75
08-09-2006, 04:34 PM
nicknit I hope this helps, typing on my pda s will be a bit rough.
think of the lower needle as #1 and the upper needle as #3. In between #1 and #3, you have room to pick up as many as 4 stitches (this is what I did so I could use Hilde and Cat's k2tog idea). Introduce nedle #2, meaning this is its place in the dpn order you have. Use your yarn that's hanging behind nedle #1 and stick neede #2 UNDER the sts between 1 and 3 and pick up loops using #2. So pick up 4 new sts one after the other. so needle 1 has 7, needle 2 has 4 and nedle 3 has its original 6.
I then used needle 2 to knit 3 sts off of needle 3 (leaving me 3 sts on #3) then used a NEW needle #4 to knit the last 3 sts off of #3 AND to pick up 4 new loops between what were the top and bottom needles. So now I have 21 sts on 3 needles(not 17 as in the pattern bcuz of our clever preparation for k2tog)
Begin knitting a round on the 3 remaining nedles but remember that you will now knit 7, then k2tog, then k2tog again, then knit 6, then k2tog, then k2tog again, ad you have completed1 round.

PLEASE if anyone sees errors jump in because I did this from memory! Good luck nicknit!

Sue Madelin
08-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Did you get this sorted yet?

Amy has a video of how to pick up stitches on here that I found useful - before I was just picking up the loops rather than sticking the needles through a hole and then knitting like normal to make a new stitch.

Sue Madelin
08-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Ok - where does one find a reply that one has saved as a draft! :??

Anyway - Did you sort this out yet? Amy has a video of how to pick up stitches on here (under basic techniques) that I found very helpful. I first thought (like it sounds you did) that picking up stitches just meant picking up the loop but once I realised that you stick the needle through the loop and then knit it as normal it made a whole lot more sense.

Check out Amy's vid and Good luck :muah:

jamadian75
08-10-2006, 09:36 AM
[quote="Sue Madelin"]Ok - where does one find a reply that one has saved as a draft! :??

Hey Sue - If you click the "KnittingHelp.com Forum Index" link at the top left, you'll see the option to view your drafts at the top right corner of the Forum Topics list.

Hope that helps!

AmandaC
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM

When did 'one' get so posh !!!!!!!!!!!!

:teehee: :roflhard: :muah:

Andrea
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

You two remind me of me and my sister! :heart:

nicknit_70
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Hildie, Jamadian & Sue - love ya work sunshines!!!

I have finally - finished my first ever fetching!!!! I am soooo excited and absolutely love it - would love to wear it tomorrow but might look like a punky Michael Jackson chick stuck in the 80's with one glove!

So alas, I will commence on my other fetching tomorrow - yahhhhyyy

Turns out that I was picking up the stitches sort of correctly as I was pulling the yarn through but Jamadian's tip on pulling the stitches from the inside of the glove helped so much - also was great to know how many needles etc - especially as I am still a newbie to knitting.

Ohhhh sooooo excited. I think I might even make another pair this weekend as one of the girls at my work loved it when it was half finished and has begged me to make her a pair.

Thanks again guys - you are all so supportive and funny too!!!

When I finally get them finished, I will try to post a pic. Tried to post one the other day though and the size was too big to be accepted.

x :heart: x

nicknit_70
08-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh also forgot to add - I ended up knitting an extra 10 rows on the rib middle bit and then did 2 extra rows on the thumb and it worked fab.

jamadian75
08-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Hildie, Jamadian & Sue - love ya work sunshines!!!

I have finally - finished my first ever fetching!!!! I am soooo excited and absolutely love it - would love to wear it tomorrow but might look like a punky Michael Jackson chick stuck in the 80's with one glove!

:happydancing: :yay:

You are so welcome!!! Way to stick with it nicknit!! We'll all get so much better by helping each other!

They are rather addictive to finish I must say, I'm tempted to start another pair right now! :teehee:

Sue Madelin
08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
[quote=Sue Madelin]Ok - where does one find a reply that one has saved as a draft! :??

Hey Sue - If you click the "KnittingHelp.com Forum Index" link at the top left, you'll see the option to view your drafts at the top right corner of the Forum Topics list.

Hope that helps!

Thank You! I figured it had be something simple but could I find it? :teehee:

Sue Madelin
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM

When did 'one' get so posh !!!!!!!!!!!!

:teehee: :roflhard: :muah:

Just because I know proper grammar! I'm the kind of obsessive compulsive that has to have the correct spelling and punctuation in my text messages too! :oops:

manicsgirl
08-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone :)

This is my first first first post here, and I've decided to join in on this little KAL. It's also my first time using dpn's and so far so good. I saw the Fetching pattern and instantly fell in love - my sister did too and has since made me her guinnea pig to see if she can do the pattern (but she taught me to knit?!).

I just wanted to pop in and say hi :)

Back to the knitting!

Sue Madelin
08-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi and welcome.

I loved doing the fetchings - they were really quite quick and provided you follow the pattern they'll come out fine I'm sure. If you've got time read through the whole of this KAL because there are one or two tips to make them even better!

Have fun and don't forget to post a pic of the end result.

redwitch
09-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi guys I am in Auckland, New Zealand and when I found this yesterday was rapt! I have already seen some tips which will come in handy as I'm new to dpn's and anything other than scarves. Thanks for sharing advice everyone...
I'm not overly keen on the picot bindoff even as shown on the knitty website. Others I've seen, while skilfully knitted and beautiful, do it for me even less, but I have seen one pair where I loved the bindoff. Can those of you who post pictures please mention whether you consider yourself a loose or a tight knitter and the size of needle you used? On a happy note, I was having trouble thinking what yarn to substitute for the one specified... nothing had the right gauge... then I found a place yesterday IN NZ that has Debbie Bliss yarns! I drove a long way today and bought two balls today for a pair of 'fetching' for me and friend. Unfortunately the cashmerino was only in some muted colours and my friend loves pink... so I bought the similar DB merino aran in pink (325602), and the cashmerino (300005) in a pale green-gray for me. I can't use less wool unless I do a smaller pair right (changing needle size and knitting looser or tighter won't help)?
The gloves look great and I have been truly inspired to knit them thanks to your pictures and posts thank you so much.
Ginger

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I am a tight knitter, and I used 8s, but I was using yarn that was a bit thinner than the DB.

Sue Madelin
09-21-2006, 03:56 AM
Hi Redwitch

Welcome - this site is fabulous for help! :muah:

I made my fetchings using Debbie Bliss Merino Aran (in pink!) - and they are a Christmas present for my sister in law who lives in New Zealand! So if you see someone else wearing a pair - ask her if her name is Jacqui :teehee: (I also made her a matching pair of socks to wear with her motorcycle boots!)

Anyway - my fetchings turned out beautifully in the merino aran - they are just not as soft as they would have been in the cashmerino but they are still very comfy to wear. I made adjustments to mine in that I made both the cuffs and the fingers parts longer but I used the needle size recommended in the pattern and I guess I'm a pretty standard tension knitter as I don't normally have a problem getting gauge.

Good luck and enjoy them - they really are a nice quick knit and if you have any trouble with the pattern just give someone a shout here - although I don't think you will - it's quite straight forward if I remember rightly.

redwitch
09-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks Sue. Glad it worked out... did you need a second ball for the pink merino ones? Sure your sister will appreciate them... in about 8 months... I started knitting just too late to have anything for this winter (spring is well started here) but I'll be well kitted out next year!
Thanks
Ginger

Sue Madelin
09-22-2006, 03:33 AM
Yes I did need more wool - nearer 2 balls because of the adjustments I made but I had 4 balls in my stash which is why I decided to make them longer!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-22-2006, 01:46 PM
ALWAYS good to buy extra yarn for any project. I usually buy at least one extra ball, and sometimes 2. If I don't need it, at least I know my stash loved me!!!

redwitch
09-22-2006, 06:26 PM
My stash generally consists of groups of three or four matching balls that appealed in a shop but which I haven't knitted yet... I like small projects. Because I use so many different types of wool - love novelty stuff too - my leftovers won't go very well together to make anything. Maybe one day :-) So I usually try not to have too much extra. Besides, I only took enough cash to buy the two balls because otherwise I'd be tempted to spend spend spend... after all, it would save me petrol money if I didn't have to make a second trip you know - is there an emoticon for 'justifying my arse off'? But the retailer put aside an extra ball in case, as the merino has fewer metres per ball. I was very tempted by the DB chunky merino

knitqueen
10-01-2006, 02:55 AM
I had to get away from the sweater-of-never-ending-stockinette, so I made one fetching glove this afternoon/evening. :happydance: It's a touch too tight for me but hopefully will stretch a bit - I cable really tight for some reason so the cuff part is snug but the regular 4x1 rib part is perfect. I added one cable repeat on the cuff and did 6 rounds instead of 4 on the thumb. The yarn is Patons Decor in 'Olive'.

AmandaC
10-05-2006, 04:03 AM
I started a new pair of fetchings last night - in cream/white - sublime yarns from sirdar .... it is extra fine merino, silk and cashmere. I also bought enough to make a scarf.

To be a bit different I have decided to carry one of the cables (I hoping I've worked it out correctly and it's the middle one on the back of the hand) all the way up the fetching ... I'll let you know how it goes. Then I'll also be able to work out which hand is which - I can never work out which way the cable is going to know which is left and which is right :teehee:

AmandaC
10-10-2006, 04:58 AM
And here is the first one in cream:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/fetching_in_cream.jpg

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Oooooo Amanda and KQ they look GREAT!

jamadian75
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I would :heart: LOVE :heart: to knit these again.
I have been wearing mine quite a bit over the last few days on my trip here in the Northeast US, and I noticed something peculiar. :??

I made a mistake on my left Fetching and actually did the last cable twist on the main hand part 1 extra time. On the 2nd one, I followed the pattern. I used a purl bind off on both instead of the picot edge (thanks to a tip out here), but I'm noticing that the one done "right" without the extra cable twist rolls/curls over at the top edge and doesn't cover my knuckles any more. The one with the extra twist? Hugs my fingers like a dream!

:shrug: Just something I discovered after frequent use of these, and a modification I will likely make on purpose the next time I make these.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Hmmmmmmmm veddddyyyyyyy intadesting...... :hmm:

AmandaC
10-12-2006, 04:14 AM
Why yes ... my first pair - in brown & lime - had a picot bind off and only one cable twist and they curl back at the top.....

When I tried my cream pair on - I thought they were more snug - I put this down to the purl bind off but I did do an extra cable on there too!

hhmmmmm :??

Sue Madelin
10-12-2006, 04:38 AM
I think it is inevitable that they will curl back - mine were a present so I can't comment on whether the extra cable helps with wear - but maybe you should do a tighter bind off? So long as you don't cut off the circulation in your hands of course!

Or maybe some very fine elastic in with the bind off? (I think we call it shirring elastic here in the UK - very fine, rounded elastic)

redwitch
10-12-2006, 04:59 AM
I like the picots between ribs/fingers but the first glove I made curled terribly, more than a centimetre. Even worse, if I could have removed the curl by waving over a magic wand (or a steam iron) it was very loose around the knuckles. If I had another finger it would have fit without stretching the edge in the least. So I cast off with a tiny needle, 2.75 mm, and it was perfect: fit snugly around the hand without straining the castoff edge, and no curling. I also cast on with smaller needles as the wrist edge was quite loose, but I recommend if you do this don't go all the way to a tiny needle. A 1mm smaller needle helped with the bagginess but I have no problem fitting my hand in, very small needles will cause a problem here I suspect. I have run out of the DB, I'm just at the thumb row on the 2nd glove, will buy another ball in a couple of weeks and finish. I found a similar wool closer to my Auckland residence, when back there will also buy a ball in red for a pair for me and make one in black for a friend. Also knitting a pair in baby pink cotton just because I love the pattern so!
For comparison purposes, I got gauge with about 4.5 to 5mm needles, got a great castoff with a 2.75mm needle, and tighter caston with 4mm. I won't go smaller than about 3.5mm for casting on in future. Can't wait to do my red pair :cheering:

jamadian75
10-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Once again, more great tips out here!

I have a ball of DB in Chocolate to do my next pair - yummy!

redwitch
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I also don't like how the left-hand thumb interrupts a rib when you look at it from the back of your hand, on the right hand the ribs line up with the backs of my fingers and the thumb rib isn't broken. On my next pair I will put one thumb at the end of the round. So on the place thumb round, knit in rib until 8 stitches remain in round, k7 with waste yarn, slip back and reknit with working yarn, p1. Round finished. If anyone thinks this won't work or won't accomplish what I'm trying to change (if you understand what I mean) please tell me why I'm wrong or how to do it correctly because I'm just guessing.
And I continue the purl column up the thumb otherwise the rib just disappears partway which I dislike.

My fourth knit stitch and the purl immediately following seem to be very loose to the point of distortion and I want to fix this. I'm pulling those two stitches tighter but not seeing a good improvement. Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it? It's causing huge loose baggy columns of purls and fourth knit stitches.
Thanks
Ginger

robynbird
11-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I love these! I went on Friday to get my yarn (my LYS was having a clearance on DB Cashmerino!). I got my left one done and am working on my right one. I want to make these for my co-workers for Christmas (we work on the computer all day). :)

Thanks for the tip on 2 circs. I love it!!

allegra918
11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
One down, one to go! These are being gifted to my SIL for Christmas. I will be knitting up another pair for my other SIL soon after...
I knitted this one up last night. How quick and easy!

jamadian75
11-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Diakeito Diamusee - :inlove:

That is the fiber content in that gorgeous yarn!
(Nice Fetching!)

cara
11-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I have started my fetching, and I just used a regular CO for my 45 stitches. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks!

allegra918
11-15-2006, 02:42 PM
cara, I did my pair with my regular cast on AND off, and I like them...
see?

cara
11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
hi,

yes, yours look great. So I guess that the Cable CO is just for looks and not for function. I don't need it for the cables to work properly or anything like that right?

Cara

cara
11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
what is this about the extra cable twist at the fingers? do you mean a whole pattern repeat of the cable at the top before binding off?

Can any of you gals who made the modifications post your fetchings so I can see? pretty please?? preferably a solid color cause I think I'll see the detail better.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!.. sorry for all the buggin'!

Cara

Sue Madelin
11-16-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi,

I posted a pic of my modified fetchings earlier in this KAL - here http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

I made the cuffs longer by 5 rows of rib and a cable row and I did the same thing at the fingers - so I actually have two cable twists at the fingers then the 4 rows of rib and the bind off row. I also made the thumbs longer by about 9 or 10 extra rows to keep them in proportion.

I've actually made a couple of other pairs in a wool called Sublime which is 75%Merino, 20% silk and 5% cashmere and I modified them even more. I'll post a pic later but for these ones I used size 3.75mm needles and did the cuffs as per the pattern but for the finger part I did an extra two cable repeats (ie 4 rows rib, one row cable - twice) followed by only 2 rows of rib then the normal knit bind off. These ones are much snugger at the fingers and they stop roughly between my knuckles and the bend at the tips of my fingers.

I'll try and take a photo of me wearing one so you can see a little better!

allegra918
11-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Here's another pair of Fetching I knit today for a friend's birthday present.

jamadian75
11-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Here's another pair of Fetching I knit today for a friend's birthday present.

Very nice color!

brownishcoat
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I cast on my first Fetching last night. I'm making this first pair for a co-worker. I'm using Red Heart SS in a dark plum color. This will be the "test pattern" pair.

The next pair will be for me and I might use my Patons SWS in Natural Pink.

I have a pair of 6 DPNs, so I'm using them. Once I get the hang of the pattern, I'll probably do mine 2-up on Magic Loop.

I read the whole thread; the tips you guys give are great! :muah:

madametj
01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
just wanted to let you know that i'll be joining soon! i've got to finish some of my UFOs first though :oops: .

I've been wanting to do this one for ages, but i'm scared. i've never done cables :verysad:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-25-2007, 01:19 AM
The cables in this pattern are VERY easy. It's a perfect project for beginnign cables!!!

Cables are very cool and complicated looking, but simple in construction... it's just changing the order in which you knit the stitches.

brownishcoat
01-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Amy's cabling video is all I needed to get started cabling. You can do it!!! :thumbsup:

I've finished the lower cable repeats, and I'm 5 rounds into the 18 4x1 ribs.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Jess_knit
01-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I've started these too, using Paton's SWS in..some plum color that I can't remember right now :teehee:

I'm working on the third cable twist of the cuff, but I think I'm going to add an extra twist, as well as another at the knuckle section. I might have to make another trip to Michael's for more yarn! What a shame...to be near all that yarn... :eyebrow:

brownishcoat
01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
The first attempt came out too big, so I frogged and did it over.

I cast on 40 stitches instead of 45 and went up to a size 7 needle. I also switched to my Options and Magic Loop instead of the plastic DPNs and I cannot believe how much faster they are going.

I have the first one bound off and I'm about to start the thumb. :cheering:

I used a SSK bind-off, but I slipped the stitches purlwise instead of knitwise. I really like the way it turned out! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-30-2007, 06:08 PM
:tap: pictures???

Jess_knit
01-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I finished my first Fetching, with a few alterations...my mom loves it. The only problem is that the yarn is itchy and fuzzy, though not unbearably so. (She still wants me to make her a pair after I finish mine.)

At least the pattern is quick!

brownishcoat
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
:tap: pictures???

Coming right up! :teehee:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/382274857_830e6daa07.jpg

I started and finished #2 on Sunday.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Nice Lisa!

Vendie
02-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I finished these shortly after my trip to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. So quick and fun! Still gotta weave in those ends though (they're hiding inside the mitts, very very shneeky)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/399162099_93d4b5c13f_m.jpg
Knit in Elsebeth Lavold Angora.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
mmmmmmmm fuzzy goodness

Stiney
03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I've got pictures of mine brand spanking new in my blog.

Did anyone else use the DB Cashmerino? Mine look like dog's butt after only a week or two. I wear them every day, but first they got fuzzy, then they started pilling and attracting fuzzies from other things. :pout:

ChristinaKnits
03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
started mine yesterday for my best friend's birthday and I'm using Paton's SWS and it's the first time I've ever cabled so I'm really excited! But I'm stuck :( at the end of the 18 rounds of ribbing, where it says to use waste yarn, I'm not getting what she's saying to do...I've never done anything like that, so I'm confused :?? can anyone clarify pretty please??? I'd be so grateful :heart:

ChristinaKnits
03-10-2007, 12:18 AM
okay, nevermind..lol...guess I shoulda read the rest of the thread :)

IrishKnitter
03-10-2007, 01:58 AM
I'm thinking of making fetching...I have some new worsted weight superwash wool that I bought (Dream in Color (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com) in green), and I don't have a project for the yarn yet. Can anyone give me an idea if that would be a good type of yarn to use?

Thanks!

Vendie
03-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I think that would make lovely Fetchings. You'd probably still have a lot left over - maybe enough for a pair of matching Dashings?

hmmm, you're giving me ideas for my Dream in Color that I just bought!

MamaMer
03-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey all! I started doing these yesterday and I am at the waste yarn part of the instructions. I am doing them on 2 circs instead of dpns, so will it matter how many stitches are on each needle when I do the thumbhole? Or can I just put it at the beginning of my round regardless of how many stitches are on that needle? I realize these are simply tubes with thumholes, but I want them to look, well, fetching! :teehee:

Stiney
03-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Nah, the needle thing shouldn't matter. When I knit on DPN's, I always do a bit of rotating...at the end of each needle, I knit a stitch or two off the next needle before switching to the empty needle. So my rounds are often middle needle.

IrishKnitter
03-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I think that would make lovely Fetchings. You'd probably still have a lot left over - maybe enough for a pair of matching Dashings?

hmmm, you're giving me ideas for my Dream in Color that I just bought!

Oooh, that would be nice! I love how much yardage is in that yarn--250!!!

The people who own my LYS are the ones who make the Dream in Color yarn. I actually have to go in there today because I don't have the right size DPNs. I'll have to tell them that everyone is raving about their yarn! :)

Vendie
03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I did my Fetchings using Magic Loop. I just put half the thumb stitches on one end and the other half on the other and went to town. I ended up picking up a couple extra stitches to avoid holes (I ALWAYS get holes, no matter how careful I am). Worked out fine.

re: Dream in Color - I got mine in Indy at Mass Ave. I was so tickled to see it there, that I had to snatch it up. And it looks like I'll be going back, so I can get more!

Cristy
03-15-2007, 08:36 AM
why'd you guys have to drag out my old thread??? Now the yarn that I bought for this project that I never used is staring me down over in the corner...it's making me feel guilty.... :verysad:

IrishKnitter
03-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I finished my fetchings!!! :cheering: :happydance: I posted this in my blog, but I figured I'd put a pic up here too. I used Dream In Color (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/) yarn in Happy Forest green. I :heart: this yarn!

Here's a pic of my right hand...the left hand looks the same. :teehee:

ChristinaKnits
03-23-2007, 01:39 PM
IrishKnitter...gorgeous!!!!!! I love the yummy yarn :) Your cablkes look perfect! I messed mine up because I did one hand on DPN's and then tried the other with ML and they were different gauges *sigh*...anyways, love your Claddaugh...I have one exactly like it replacing my *too small* wedding band :)

IrishKnitter
03-23-2007, 07:03 PM
:aww: Thanks!! I am really getting to :heart: DPNs. I know a lot of people really hate them, but for some reason I enjoy 'em!

Stiney
03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
why'd you guys have to drag out my old thread??? Now the yarn that I bought for this project that I never used is staring me down over in the corner...it's making me feel guilty.... :verysad:

Doooooo iiiiiiit! :teehee:

Kate, I looooove DPN's.

IrishKnitter
03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Kate, I looooove DPN's.

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm even thinking of taking a sock class at the LYS next month b/c I like the DPNs so much... :thinking:

brownishcoat
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm almost done with my second pair; the right one needs a thumb.

I did mine using Magic Loop and I used a lifeline for the thumb stitches. I'm totally paranoid about dropping any! :shock:

Also, I used my Options size 6. Since this pattern is intentionally written to get a tight gauge, I used the size 4 tip on the left needle so that my stitches were a little easier to get into. I think it helped a lot. I used a size 5 tip as my cable needle.

madametj
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Ok, i need held from one of you fetching experts.

i'm at the part where it says "using waste yarn, k7, slip these sts back to left needle and k them aain )using working yarn;"

i am so confused. so is this the thumb part? if so why do i k it again with the working yarn?

lestrella
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
WOW! I didn't even know there was a kal for fetching. I hope is not too late for me to join. I actually started working on them last week but I'm stuck at the same part where madametj is. It says to knit with waste yarn and then with working yarn. Then, for the thumb, it says to remove the waste yarn and place the live sts on two dpns. How can you remove the waste yarn if you knitted with it and in top of it you knitted with working yarn? Am I making any sense?
Plus, it doesn't say anywhere, but shouldn't we put those stitches in a holder? I'm so confused!

madametj
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
WOW! I didn't even know there was a kal for fetching. I hope is not too late for me to join. I actually started working on them last week but I'm stuck at the same part where madametj is.

are u? take a look here: http://http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58692

Lady Violet
05-17-2007, 09:47 PM

don't feel too bad. i started it about a month ago and never got past CO. :noway: i've never done a cable or used DPNs before so i think i was just kind of hesitant/nervous. there's nothing like almost finishing something and realizing you completely messed it up a few inches ago. but reading this thread has definitely gotten me inspired to just go for it. it's already cast on. what do i have to lose? :eyes: :X:

lestrella
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
madametj, I couldn't open the link.

madametj
05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
here it is: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58692

lestrella
05-18-2007, 07:33 PM
here it is: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58692

Thanks! I might sound really dumb but I still don't get it. I'll give it another try tonight.:hug:

Lady Violet
05-19-2007, 03:42 PM
i'm thinking about redoing my CO. what method have you ladies found to work best for Fetching?

Lady Violet
05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
i'm thinking about redoing my CO. what method have you ladies found to work best for Fetching?

never mind. it's been a looong time since i actually READ the pattern. i just looked over it again and saw that in the pattern notes there is a link to the cable CO. silly me. :rollseyes:

lestrella
05-21-2007, 07:34 PM
madametj, thanks! I finally got it. I'm not too crazy about the picot BO.

:hug:

redwitch
05-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Try reading the threads... I liked the edge but it was far too loose. You could either decrease on the round before casting off but my preferred option was to work the castoff on the smallest needle I had, about 2.75 mm. That made it just right.

Sarah

knittingmom2three
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
If anyone is still subscribing to this thread, I have a question. Are the "bumps" on the picot bindoff edge supposed to line up with the purl ridges in the ribbing? Mine do not, and I frogged it- since they seemed sort of off-center. It seems to make sense that they should, but if you bind off 5 sts, and then do the picot, I think that would put it a little off of the purl ridge.

Any help out there?