PDA

View Full Version : English to Continental - when will it feel good? what r u?

Not Special
07-19-2006, 10:43 PM
HI - retruning to knitting after 20 years - decided to learn continental - raised an english knitter.
Im getting the hang of it rather quickly, but just wondering when it will feel like home?
Anyone made the switch and so glad they did?
TIA!

forgot to add - are you E or C and why? raised that way, changed and love it, changed and went back?

Renoah
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I learned to knit English from my grandma, and I just learned to knit continental last December. I did a simple two-color stranded scarf in a tube (5 stitches of one, 5 of the other in a spiral) with one color in each hand, and by the end of the scarf I was more comfortable with knitting continental. I now avoid knitting English except when I'm doing stranded stuff. :)

Ingrid
07-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I've always knit English. I tried conti--not to switch, but just to try it out--and even though I could do it, it just doesn't feel like knitting to me, or like home as you so aptly put it.

07-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Welcome back!!!! And on a personal note, what's with your screen name??? I hope it's not what I think it is because if it is, I'm sure you're wrong. You're special because you are a knitter! :cheering: :cheering:

Okay, now, I was too taught english, but have switched to continental. I'm a 'combined purler'. It just sort of happened that way. I do like the continental way of knitting because it is faster IMO. It took a couple of weeks for me.

Glad you came back :D

Phretys
07-19-2006, 11:57 PM
I started and stuck with Continental. I did crochet before and also held the yarn in my left hand for that, so I guess it just made sense for me. Plus I like to finish things quickly, and English seems involve too many motions that would slow me down (but that's just me!) :)

Debi

EssenceRose
07-20-2006, 02:40 AM
I am right handed and was taught to crochet by my step mother when I was about 6 or 7 (from memory). I didn't start knitting until about 5 years ago (and gave it up for the longest time) and I guess it was just a natural thing that I knit continental. I never even knew about English style knitting until I found this site, believe it or not.

Not Special
07-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks ladies - gives me food for thought.
My screen name - its just one I use here and there and it came from a very serious site where I was too scared to post for the longest time bc everyone was So Cleva. Its a 'not here to bother anyone' name.
I hope I continue with e or c or whatever I end up cos this is a nice community :)

tab
07-20-2006, 07:55 AM
I knit English style; it's what I learned. I've tried knitting conti, and I can do it with relative ease, but not for long periods of time. The way I end up rotating my wrists is really hard on them, and they were sort of gimpy to start with.

Angelia
07-20-2006, 08:07 AM
I knit conti because I used to crochet, so holding the yarn in my left hand seems really natural to me. I can knit English, but my tension is too tight. It would loosen with practice, I know, because my conti knitting has.

DoulaLyndsey
07-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm a continental knitter. It's the way I first learned, and it's just faster and easier for me (might help that I'm left handed). I know how to do English, but it is much slower and just feels awkward to me.

VickiIL
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm trying to make the switch to Conti. I have knitting down pat. And since I was a crocheter as a kid this felt very comfy. Purling has been harder to switch. I am now at a point where I am determined to learn and make it comfy. It just seems so much faster. So I picked up a ball of yarn that I have a ton of and won't miss and figured I will work on a swatch everyday for a little bit until it is as comfy as english is. This may be the longest swatch in history but by the time I am done I will be a Conti knitter!

07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
I hope I continue with e or c or whatever I end up cos this is a nice community :)

It really is :sunny:

rebecca
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I, too, began as an English knitter, I taught myself to knit and it was easier to learn the throwing method for me.
I then decided that I wanted to learn conti knitting and gave it a go with Amy's helpful videos...well, after a couple of weeks it was completely natural to me and English then seemed a bid of an odd way to knit.
Now, if I can possibly remember before beginning another project, I want to try combination knitting :thumbsup:

HollyP
07-20-2006, 12:32 PM
I learned to knit English. When I discovered this site I tried to knit continental but my tension was way to tight. I went back almost immediately to English. Recently I was knitting a long ways( I cast on 400 stitches) scarf for myself . After a row and a half of knitting my right had was getting so tired and cramped I was beginning to wonder if I should start over and just knit a side to side scarf. But I really was loving the vertical stripes I was getting so I switched to Continental and kept going. The best part was my right hand could rest! My tension is getting much, much better.
I still don't feel completely comfortable with Cont. Now I am knitting a scarf for my brother and I am trying to do it all continental. I figure after I finish this scarf if I am still not comfortable I will go back to English but I have a feeling I probably won't.

kschmitz
07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I taught myself throwing with my left hand (I do everything else right-handed besides brushing my teeth :?? ). I had tried conti knitting a couple of times in the middle of projects, but would switch back because my tension was way too tight.

I started a sock class at a LYS 3 weeks ago, and the instructor took some time to show me conti since as he put it "I was practically doing it anyway." I decided to stick with it from the beginning, and now I'm a convert!

(I do need to learn English for stranding, though! :D )

Limey
07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I learned English knitting and tried out Continental - it took me quite a while to learn and what I've found is that the tension for Continental is about half an inch bigger in width and length on a 20 row swatch, using worsted wool and 4mm needles.

If I try to hurry it though, the tension becomes tight. The problem I have is that I sometimes get bored knitting English and then try Continental half way through something - NOT A GOOD IDEA! Too much difference in the stitch size.

Another prob. with the way I knit English is that I stick the right needle under my arm - which is pretty effective until you want to use circulars! Continental has come in really handy for that and for shorter length needles and it seems easier for me to do Continental that way, rather than on longer length straight needles.

Limey :thumbsup:

jamiejeans
07-20-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm an English knitter... just felt more natural that way. Although I am told that this is unusual for a lefty! (And I crochet with the hook in my right hand... so go figure)

Braden
07-21-2006, 11:59 PM
I am a Continental knitter (hence the username) LOL I learned English, but I watched Amy's videos and it is just faster and easier. Great for doing ribbing. For me, switching was akward, but try it. you'll love it.

knit-a-holic
07-22-2006, 06:06 AM
I learned to knit using the Continental method. I've tried the English way, but it just doesn't feel comfortable. I have the best tension with the working yarn in my left hand. It is faster and easier, although I would like to knit both ways. ;)

jdee
07-22-2006, 07:09 AM
I use the English method, because that's how I learned. Since finding this site, I've been trying to use the conti method more. If I have a project that's garter stitch, I can do it, but purling is just out of the question. No matter how I try, I just can't get it. :blush:

I started a thread a while back, that I can no longer find. It had to do with some trouble I was having with numbness in my fingers on my right hand. Anyway, this is the reason I started trying the conti method. Now I have another problem. The thumb of my left hand cramps. *sigh*

I end up knitting English until my right hand fingers go numb, then switching to conti until my left thumb cramps up, then switch back..... (unless it's a pattern with purl stitches. Then it has to be english all the way) :lol:

betweenshades
07-22-2006, 07:19 AM
I knit English for like 3 days before someone told me about continental; I'm a crocheter originally and it made sence to hold the yarn that way. I can't imagine knitting otherwise. :)

janelanespaintbrush
07-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I first tried to learn English from a book and just got tangled up and confused. I came online to find videos and ended up at KH. (Hallelujah!) Since Amy described conti as her preferred method, I thought I'd try that first. It felt comfortable (especially since my Grandma taught me to do a little crochet when I was a kid), so I ran with it since I didn't want to confuse myself with two different methods right away. Well, it's 5 mos. later and I haven't looked back. At some point I will probably try English just to see what it's like, but lately I've been experimenting with combined knitting to help with my uneven knit/purl tension.

Has anyone ever tried right-handed knitting? I just borrowed Principles of Knitting by June Hiatt from the library and that's what she advocates. I've only skimmed through a little bit, but her method seems different from either English or conti.

rebecca
07-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, last night I finally tried to knit a bit with the combination method. I couldn't get the hang of it, I believe that I will be a conti knitter forever :D