PDA

View Full Version : CHARITY KNITTING - Caps for the Capital

Shandeh
07-20-2006, 08:05 AM
I just found a really EASY way for us to knit for charity. All you have to do is knit or crochet ONE BABY CAP! :thumbsup:

This would be a good project to use with beginning knitters, too!

http://www.savethechildren.org/capstothecapital/

Nocturna
07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for posting- I was honestly just about to make a baby cap for Newborns in Need, and I'm glad I found another site that I can make a cap for.

Shandeh
07-20-2006, 10:51 PM
You're welcome! I was glad when I found the site too. It's a fast and easy way to be part of something important. ;)

mks22300
07-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I got an email today from Bernat about that, sounds like an awesome idea!

smartcat
07-21-2006, 02:10 AM
I just finished my first hat and boy did it go fast. It helps that the cast on is only 48 sts. They request that the hats be on the small size due to newborns in under developed countries being on the small side. Also since the mail date for final contributions is January, I am hoping to get several done whenever I need a quick mindless project.

Jenelle
07-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Ohh I'm going to have to do that!

Do they have a softness requirement?

Shandeh
07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Do they have a softness requirement?

A circumference of 9" to 11" is ideal. Use any smooth, washable yarn. Any infant pattern is fine so long as it is a suitable size and will keep the baby’s head warm. Use either sport or worsted weight yarns. Scrap yarns are fine, and the patterns can be varied as desired with stripes or other color combinations.

Here is the PDF document with the pattern:
http://www.savethechildren.org/capstothecapital/images/kit11.pdf

jamadian75
09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I just read about this today and will be participating.

Glad you guys are in on it too!

Maybe we should start a Knit a Long for it out here? Then we can share pictures of the caps we make.

What do you think?

Jenelle
09-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Maybe we should start a Knit a Long for it out here? Then we can share pictures of the caps we make.

What do you think?

I think that would be a great idea.

Shandeh
09-22-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm ALL FOR IT! Would one of you ladies like to start the thread? I'm injured in bed right now, so I would appreciate the help.

Jenelle
09-22-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm ALL FOR IT! Would one of you ladies like to start the thread? I'm injured in bed right now, so I would appreciate the help.

Click here! (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=263889#263889)

Get better soon sandy! :hug:

Shandeh
09-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Thank you, Jenelle! :heart:

SabrinaJL
09-23-2006, 02:47 AM
I know they have knit and crochet patterns but does anyone know if they take hats knit on a loom? I have too many projects OTN right now and it would be a welcome break to do something with the looms (plus they go really fast). Here's a pic of one I did for my daughter.

Shandeh
09-23-2006, 04:47 AM
Unfortunately, they ask that you use one of their patterns, and knit or crochet them. The pattern has been specially designed to make hats that will fit the heads of babies in developing countries. They say that the babies there are usually very small.

cheesiesmom
09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I have two finished and ready to mail. They knit up really fast.

jamadian75
09-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I have two finished and ready to mail. They knit up really fast.

:cheering: GREAT!

snephenie
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately, they ask that you use one of their patterns, and knit or crochet them. The pattern has been specially designed to make hats that will fit the heads of babies in developing countries. They say that the babies there are usually very small.

Actually it says "Any infant pattern is fine so long that it is a suitable size and will keep the babies head warm"

I'm in, this is awesome!

jamadian75
09-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Great to have you aboard!!

I'm keeping a tally in my signature of how many hats we've completed.
If you have pictures to post, be sure to include them over at the

KAL thread for this charitable knit-venture (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18364)

Shandeh
09-24-2006, 05:56 PM

Actually it says "Any infant pattern is fine so long that it is a suitable size and will keep the babies head warm"

I'm in, this is awesome!

Cool! I'll probably stick with the original pattern, because all my other patterns are normal newborn size or hospital preemie size. I just don't feel like figuring out a different pattern to fit. I'm all for keeping it simple.

I started making a pastel rainbow hat last night. It should be finished soon.

jamadian75
10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
BUMPING US UP!

If you're just finding this thread and you would like to knit or crochet SUPER easy baby caps - come out and see us in the Knit a Long Thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18364&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) for this! We'll add your cap count to our KH ticker in my signature!

Have a great day!

SabrinaJL
10-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm in. One of the people on my Knifty Knitter group called the 800# to ask about loom knit hats and they said they accept them as long as they are 9"-11" circumference. :)

DoulaLyndsey
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Wonderful cause! I'm printing the pattern up now so I can make a bunch. I've got a ton of baby yarn that I was trying to figure out what to do with, and this is perfect!!

Lisa Kay
10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Bump! :waving:

jamadian75
10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Lisa!! :waving: