PDA

View Full Version : A small, but significant landmark moment

EssenceRose
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Suddenly, I understand. I can read a knitting pattern -- and actually understand it!! I've figured out how to do most common stitches (apart from the obvious knit and purl) - such as psso, sl, k2tog, etc. I know it seems small and rather insignificant but looking back to where I was when I first started it's a small accomplishment for me.

Suddenly, I find myself able to actually figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I can follow a pattern. I can venture out and experiment with bigger projects. :) Yay!!!! And I don't think I would have gotten there as fast as I have had it not been for Amy's videos and this forum full of helpful ladies (and gents). :thumbsup:

AnreeAce
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

AidanM
07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
HURRAH! :D Congratulations! Now you can knit yourself a nice warm sweater for your icky New Zealand winter.

Amber
07-24-2006, 06:08 PM
:cheering:

rebecca
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

cecile77
07-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Congrats! You'll be able to tackle so much more now. :happydance:

aylaanne
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
It's wonderful when the seemingly greek pattern suddenly transforms itself into something you can read. Good going! :cheering:

snowbear
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
:happydance: :cheering: :thumbsup:
congrats.. that is soo wonderful... You are an awesome woman... you go girl!!!

:XX:

Angelia
07-24-2006, 09:54 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I love the :figureditout: moment!!!

knitaddict
07-25-2006, 12:32 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I just started knitting in Feb (wow! 5 mos already?!) and I remember thinking "I'll NEVER remember what sts or st st mean" as I sat there with my little cheat sheet of codes.

Now I find myself writing in those codes when I'm writing to someone who doesn't knit. :roflhard:

WTG!!!

njknitter
07-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Small??? That is a HUGE accomplishment. I remember early on looking at patterns and putting ones back that included "YO". I could see it meant yarn over, but in my mind I'm thinking "Over what? From where to where?" :rofling:

Congrats and happy conquering heather_feather!!

Lynn

mulene
07-25-2006, 07:28 AM
:cheering: :cheering: excellent - well done! I know that when I first understood a pattern it felt like I'd climbed everest =D Its a great achievement and well done you - don't put that achievement down by saying its small and insignificant when in reality its HUGE =D

lizzitude
07-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Way to go!!! It is a great moment - I felt it when I knitted the felted flamingo, which had complicated W&T's all through it!

horve1
07-25-2006, 08:34 AM
It is a great feeling. The world is now open to you! Enjoy!

mks22300
07-26-2006, 11:39 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Yay for you!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2006, 12:10 AM
I will take personal responsibility for everyone's success. You're welcome!

:roflhard: Congrats!

EssenceRose
07-27-2006, 02:49 AM
*bows down in Hildie's presence*

:roflhard:

Ellen Edwards
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
It IS huge!! I still love being able to decipher the patterns--when I started the clogs recently. I'd never done the W&T....and I was so pleased to have learned yet another term, another "stitch" if you can call it that!!

cgd
07-28-2006, 02:06 PM
That's great!! I'm still working on it, but since I'm suffering from knit-related yarn, needle, and reference book acquisition, somewhere in all the books I have, I can find the stitch abbreviation!

carollovesyarn
07-28-2006, 07:03 PM
It's wonderful when the seemingly greek pattern suddenly transforms itself into something you can read. Good going! :cheering:

That is exactly what I was thinking! It was totally Greek before!

I still feel that way about crochet, but I know one day I'll get it.

Shandeh
07-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Now I find myself writing in those codes when I'm writing to someone who doesn't knit. :roflhard:
WTG!!!

I used to work for a dentist office. When we confirmed appointments, we would write CA (cancelled) NS (no show) LM (left message) LMAM (left message on answering machine).

When I went to work at another job, I used the same "shorthand" on notes in client charts. People would get so confused reading my notes.

(LMAM for client. Called back to CA orig plan.) :??

I was the only one who understood what I wrote. :rofling:

ekgheiy
07-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Suddenly, I understand. I can read a knitting pattern -- and actually understand it!! :happydance: Congratulations!!! It's such a wonderful feeling, eh? You just wait until you get to charts!!! :mrgreen: You'll feel invincible then! :thumbsup: