PDA

View Full Version : SOCK WARS!

rebecca
07-24-2006, 07:13 PM
YarnMonkey, of Knitting World Cup fame is now hosting SockWars (http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com/)! It looks like it will be a blast!

I now have to decide it I'm up for this war...I only have 5 or 600 other things to knit :rollseyes: Which makes me lean toward doing my regular knitting rather than knitting and shipping socks all over the world. But, then again, it really sounds like fun............

Any of you going to join....I know that you guys have got to be more decisive than I :rollseyes:

AidanM
07-24-2006, 07:22 PM
It sounds really fun, but I'm not sure I can knit fast enough...
Admittedly. Knowing that at any moment I could get killed would inspire me I'm sure.
My family: What're you DOING?! It's 3 AM!
Me: I HAVE TO KNIT THESE BEFORE THEY GET ME!

KellyK
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
That sounds CRAZY fun! But I dont get it.... you have to knit your socks AND the unfinished socks of your target?? :??

AidanM
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
That sounds CRAZY fun! But I dont get it.... you have to knit your socks AND the unfinished socks of your target?? :??
Yup. Sounds like it. I think it'd be fun. Unless they were doing some crazy lace pattern and you're all like "wtf?"

aylaanne
07-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh my god that looks like so much fun. I'm horrible with second-sock syndrome, but for this I might have to do it.....eep.

It'll mean I have to buy more sock yarn, too. Oh dear. :roflhard:

Julie
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
omg, it sounds too fun! I have to get my WIPs under control before September......

AidanM
07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
I start college this year...I hope that it becomes annual. By next year I might be more able to handle it!

aylaanne
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I start college this year...I hope that it becomes annual. By next year I might be more able to handle it!
Aidan, do you know how boring freshman year large lecture classes are? You can knit a whole sock during class! do it do it do it do it!

Besides, I think *I'm* going to do it, and I'm a NURSING student. No time to knit while on a hospital floor.

Angelia
07-24-2006, 09:17 PM
I've just entered! :twisted:

Muaaaaaaaaah ha ha!!!

Let the sock wars begin! :thumbsup:

Any excuse to knit socks is good enough for me! ;)

AidanM
07-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Aidan, do you know how boring freshman year large lecture classes are? You can knit a whole sock during class! do it do it do it do it!

Besides, I think *I'm* going to do it, and I'm a NURSING student. No time to knit while on a hospital floor.
I'm terrified that if I don't pay close attention I'm going to miss some important part of college that will make me fail all my classes or something.

Irrational, but there it is.

...A whole sock you say? Hmmm

aylaanne
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm terrified that if I don't pay close attention I'm going to miss some important part of college that will make me fail all my classes or something.

Irrational, but there it is.

...A whole sock you say? Hmmm
Trust me, You'll find the time to knit a pair of socks. I believe in you.

I already sent in my email.... :cheering: :cheering: And freshman year of college there is nothing so important that you need to pay so much attention during class. Freshman classes are like high school, except most of them don't take attendance and you don't have to go every day.

Besides, if you don't finish, you'll be killed, have a pair of socks to show for it, and the pride of knowing you at least participated.

AidanM
07-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Trust me, You'll find the time to knit a pair of socks. I believe in you.

I already sent in my email.... :cheering: :cheering: And freshman year of college there is nothing so important that you need to pay so much attention during class. Freshman classes are like high school, except most of them don't take attendance and you don't have to go every day.

Besides, if you don't finish, you'll be killed, have a pair of socks to show for it, and the pride of knowing you at least participated.
Now my only concern is that I don't know what my mailing address will be yet!
Do you think I should show my face in the knitting shop where I once volunteered to do classes and never did just to get some more sock yarn? It was way back in December. Maybe they don't remember me...

Angelia
07-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Careful: I teach Freshman Composition. It's NOT a blow-off course ;)

But Aidan, unless you're working a lot and taking a full load, you should have ample time to compete!

Angelia
07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Do you think I should show my face in the knitting shop where I once volunteered to do classes and never did just to get some more sock yarn? It was way back in December. Maybe they don't remember me...

Oh no!!! Maybe you could wear a fake beard or something, and use a funny accent...

Secksiebrat
07-25-2006, 12:04 AM
This looks like it could totally could be fun..... but I'm not sure I'm ready for the challenge. I love to knit, but with lane running around.. it's getting really hard. Plus I have the DOG to keep out of my knitting.

I've got time to think about this one..

~danielle~

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 01:39 AM
People people people. The absolute worst thing that can happen? You get a pair of free, handknitted socks in the mail before you cast on to kill your target. Whoops! Now you're dead, better send that pattern and the yarn you were GOING to use to your killer, and then sit back and watch the rest of the fun!

Aidan, you can always sign up with your parent's address and either ask them to forward your mail or officially change your mailing address with the post office. It's not very hard, and they forward all your mail for six months, by which time you'll have changed your mailing address back to your permanent address. It sounds confusing but it really isn't.

Don't let Angelia fool you, I took Freshman Comp and while I would never label ANY class as a blow-off class, it's not a kill-yourself-working class, either. ;) Unless Angelia is teaching YOUR freshman Comp class, in which case you should work your tuchus off.

Perhaps I'm not the best role model, though, since I've always been an above-average writer and was able to coast through writing classes without incident. :shrug:

I look forward to keeling you!!!!!! knitted socks of DOOM! bWAHAHAHAHAHA!

AidanM
07-25-2006, 01:48 AM
All that reassuring talk and then this...:P

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 02:19 AM
All that reassuring talk and then this...:P
Well, you know, competition and all....:lol: :oops:

AidanM
07-25-2006, 02:25 AM
It's okay. I have no understanding of competition.
*is thwacked by his conscience for lying*
Okay, fine..
Immagonnagetchagirl *diabolical laughter*

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 02:36 AM
It's okay. I have no understanding of competition.
*is thwacked by his conscience for lying*
Okay, fine..
Immagonnagetchagirl *diabolical laughter*
eep! *runs to quickly work on current sock project so as not to be distracted come wartime*

Lieke
07-25-2006, 04:02 AM
I would love to join, but well, there's my wool-allergy. I guess everyone'll knit their socks with wool, so either I'd receive a pair of useless socks (because I can't wear them), or I have to knit my second pair of socks with wool.

Now I hate wool even more :(

AidanM
07-25-2006, 04:35 AM
I think that if you let Yarn Monkey know about your allergy, she'll let your assassin know not to knit their socks with wool.

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 04:36 AM
I would love to join, but well, there's my wool-allergy. I guess everyone'll knit their socks with wool, so either I'd receive a pair of useless socks (because I can't wear them), or I have to knit my second pair of socks with wool.

Now I hate wool even more :(
You could always add that in your application. I'm sure if you told her that you were allergic to wool your assassin would be told to not use wool in their yarn choices. for the second pair you might be out of luck, though. It's still worth a shot!

(ps I like cotton better for sock knitting--it's more washable and feet are stinky)

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 04:36 AM
I think that if you let Yarn Monkey know about your allergy, she'll let your assassin know not to knit their socks with wool.
Hey that's what I said. :pout:

Lieke
07-25-2006, 05:33 AM
but I still worry about the possibility I finish my socks before my assasin does. Then I have to knit the socks of my target, who probably uses wool.

I guess they won't forbid everyone to use wool, just so I can join ;) :P

(and I don't know if european knitters can also join)

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 05:46 AM
but I still worry about the possibility I finish my socks before my assasin does. Then I have to knit the socks of my target, who probably uses wool.

I believe yarnmonkey is in the UK. And why not just email her and ask? My excuse-o-meter is about to explode when I read your posts. ;)

Lieke
07-25-2006, 06:02 AM
well, I guess you're a bit right, but I just send an email about my sock allergy. Now, I'll just wait for the reply.

Angelia
07-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Don't let Angelia fool you, I took Freshman Comp and while I would never label ANY class as a blow-off class, it's not a kill-yourself-working class, either. ;) Unless Angelia is teaching YOUR freshman Comp class, in which case you should work your tuchus off.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

It's a weed-out class, in some respects, separating the willing-to-work from the lazy. The class is tough because it requires SIX three- to four-page essays in 14 weeks--that's a lot of writing. (And a lot of grading. :help: )

So, you're ready to keeeeeeeel, Aylaanne? Me too! I hate it that we have to wait until September.

Glad you contacted the monkey about your allergy, Lieke--I really hope you can play with us! :happydance: :happydance:

AidanM
07-25-2006, 12:50 PM

It's a weed-out class, in some respects, separating the willing-to-work from the lazy. The class is tough because it requires SIX three- to four-page essays in 14 weeks--that's a lot of writing. (And a lot of grading. :help: )

So, you're ready to keeeeeeeel, Aylaanne? Me too! I hate it that we have to wait until September.

Glad you contacted the monkey about your allergy, Lieke--I really hope you can play with us! :happydance: :happydance:

Three to four pages?
I thought that college was supposed to be hard. :P

Angelia
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM

Yeah, we're just giving degrees out these days! :rofling:

About the sock wars: I've had a horrible thought. What if the yarn weight is fingering weight?! OUCH!! Imagine trying to knit with that and be speedy! :shock: I'll just have to let myself be keeeeeled. :( Oh the sadness of the sock suicide.

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 03:10 PM

only six papers? That's not a lot of writing. 14 papers in 14 weeks is a lot of writing. I write a 3 page paper in two hours with a glass of wine, edit for spelling and grammar, and turn it in. Even now, when I'm writing fifteen-to-twenty page research papers, it only takes me one night. I never spend more than one day on a paper. And I think I've written more than one draft....twice. Maybe. And only because I was forced. And during class there's a lot of talking and not a lot of writing--a perfect time to work on a pair of deadly socks.

I don't mind waiting until September at the moment, I have a lot of other projects I want to work on. Like the socks, scarf, glove, and hat set I want to make for my sister. :D

Calabaza
07-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Although I don't know how to knit socks, I'm in. lol I figure I have enough time to learn between now and September right?? lol

Andrea
07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
That sounds really confusing :??

Ang, I don't see your name on her list, but I saw Anree's. :thinking:

Calabaza
07-25-2006, 05:43 PM
I am sorry, I'm horrible with grammer/spelling. :verysad: I e-mailed the sock monkey today to join in the fun of the sock war. I have never knitted socks before, but i'm sure I could figure it out before the sock war started.

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 06:19 PM
I am sorry, I'm horrible with grammer/spelling. :verysad: I e-mailed the sock monkey today to join in the fun of the sock war. I have never knitted socks before, but i'm sure I could figure it out before the sock war started.
w00t! More people I know whom I can keel! Bwahahaha!

aylaanne
07-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Wait, where's the list?

rebecca
07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Hmmm...I don't know if there is a list up yet, I didn't see one on YarnMonkey's blog (http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com/), I just saw the KWC list there.

LOL, looks like ya'll have some time to prepare for the Wars!!!

Angelia
07-25-2006, 06:59 PM

I think that's for the Knitting World Cup, as Becka said, and Anree did participate in that. The deadline for the Sock Wars isn't until Sept. 8th or thereabouts, so I'll bet we won't see a list until then, at least.

Are you joining, Andrea?! Oh do!

margie
07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
I joined!! :happydance:

Andrea
07-25-2006, 11:09 PM
No no no, I'm not joining. I can't even find the time to knit a pair for myself!! :shock:

Re: Freshman Comp...IMHO most freshmen are young and naive and I believe most of those have problems writing. And between all the crap freshmen deal with (esp. with the pressures of drinking and being on their own for the first time!), I would imagine six papers in a semester would be hard for those pups. Aylaanne you must be one of the smarter ones ;) I loved English myself! And I know Angelia is the best Prof in the world! :heart:

beckyrhae
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Hrmmm... this is tempting... I need another project, like I need a hole in the head...

I just might have to join in on this.

Virtuella
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Of course we can join, or I can knit you a pair of cotton socks, and you can knit me a pair! Our own litte european war! :thinking:

burnsie9999
07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I have a question. If you send out your socks the person who gets them sends you there "unfinished" pair and you have to complete it?

How does that work? What about needles and lossing stitches? :??

what about no two knitters knit a like? :??

ugh.. I am so confusssed

aylaanne
07-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I have a question. If you send out your socks the person who gets them sends you there "unfinished" pair and you have to complete it?

How does that work? What about needles and lossing stitches? :??

what about no two knitters knit a like? :??

ugh.. I am so confusssed
First, I think you should send your questions to yarnmonkey, I'm sure she'll answer them. In her comments she was asked about yarn requirements:
Purse_Ho said...

are there yarn requirements?

4:38 AM

Yarn Monkey said...

The pattern will be chosen by me, and it will come with your dossier. This cuts out any chance of any wee cheeky pre-makes.

It will be a simple, chic one that anyone from novice onwards can attack with gusto.

Now if an assassin wishes to customise their weapon/pattern (e.g. sawn-off shotgun/throwing in a smattering of intarsia) they are more than welcome to. Worth remembering it's kill or be killed out there and time is of the essence.

Purse ho' there are ALWAYS yarn requirements in my life. In this case I will post the weight and tension/gauge required for the pattern when signups close at the beginning of September. For maximum creative juice flow the rest is up to you...
So I think that we all get the same pattern. And we all have to knit at the same gauge, so before we get the pattern you have to figure out what needle size you need. I believe that a dead person would have to put their knitting on waste yarn to send it to their assassin, and the person then has to pick up the stitches with their own needles.

Those are my guesses, anyways.

Welcome to everyone who has volunteered to have me kill them so far! :cheering: :roflhard:

Lieke
07-27-2006, 03:03 AM

Of course we can join, or I can knit you a pair of cotton socks, and you can knit me a pair! Our own litte european war! :thinking:

well, that's a possibility.

I just received an email from yarn monkey and they don't know a solution to my allergy, due to the randomness of the war. So I probably will end up with a pair of useless socks (which I could give away for christmas, according to yarn monkey).

I'll have to think about joining, but knitting each other a pair also sounds like fun, although it would take the fun of the fear of getting killed away.

betweenshades
07-27-2006, 07:33 AM
I just joined- it sounds fun! :D

I think that there will be a lot of stitch-holders in use during this thing. ;)