PDA

View Full Version : My Interpretation of the famous Booga Bag

newamy
07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I successfully knitted and felted a Booga Bag! This was my first felted object and it was fun to do. I used Lambs Pride Worsted. It's a very nice soft yarn. Softer after felting. I looked at Noro in the store and I thought it was rather scratchy. Lambs Pride had a nice rainbow selection of colors. Since this was a knitting "experiment" for me I chose colors for me. I'm keeping this. Purple is my favoite color. I think the purple yarn was called Violet, but I might be wrong. The green is Kiwi.

I finished the actual knitting a couple weeks ago; because of the striping and stranding everyone kept saying it looked like a hat from a Dr. Seuss story. The stranding was new for me too, it was a simple pattern and if my strands weren't straight on the back I figured the felting would take care of that. The pattern of strands and stripes I made up as I went along and I think it has a nice symetrical effect. There were some odd ball errors here and there but the felting process corrected them all.

For the actual felting I followed the instructions in the article at Knitty.com. I had loads of fun watching my bag magically shrink. Last night I put in my lining which is backed with very stiff interfacing but lends a good dose of sturdiness to the bag.

On to the pictures!

tab
07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
That looks absolutely fabulous! I love the way the lining goes with the rest of it, it makes it look really professional. I really dig the checkers and stripes, too.

want2knit
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
That turned out really cute! Can you give us instructions on how you inserted the lining w/the stiff back?

gardenmommy
07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
It's a functional work of art! Wonderful!

mks22300
07-24-2006, 09:11 PM
It's lovely! Well done!! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
That is awesome! I love the stranded look on it! :inlove: :inlove:

snephenie
07-25-2006, 12:42 AM
that is great! I live the lining and the snap, I'm too chicken to do that!!!

Amber
07-25-2006, 01:11 AM
That is really, really cute!!

KnittyKitty
07-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Ooo! Gorgeous!

PinkRoses
07-25-2006, 06:56 AM
That's absolutely beautiful! That's your first attempt at felting? It looks very professional! :notworthy:

lizzitude
07-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Ditto - VERY professional looking. I would also love to know how you inserted the lining......

Angelia
07-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Wow!!! That's fantastic! :thumbsup: Lining plus fair isle loveliness!!

I love Lamb's Pride--felted or not! Though felted it has that wonderful fuzziness! :inlove:

horve1
07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
You did a beautiful job! I'm going to remember the magnetic thing for the next one I do. Good idea. :thumbsup:

rebecca
07-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Gorgeous :thumbsup: I love, love the colors, love the lining :D

vknits
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
GReat job. It looks absolutely beautiful. I love the very very professional way you have finished the bag. You have inspired me to put in the lining for one of my bags.

RachelJean
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Wow that came out beautiful - I love the colors.

jamadian75
07-25-2006, 05:38 PM
:shock: LOVE IT!!

DreamWeaver
07-25-2006, 06:09 PM
That's so pretty :inlove:

Icyshard
07-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Wow, your modification to the pattern is really wonderful! The choice of lining and magnetic closure make it look so professional. Great Job!! :cheering:

Celine
07-26-2006, 04:45 AM
Your bag came out so beautiful!! :happydance: I too love the colors and the designs on it. I haven't knit one of these particular bags...yet. But I may use the Lamb's Pride too. Thanks for sharing. :XX: :XX:

itscryttle
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
:inlove: LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2006, 03:11 PM
WOW! That is fabulous!!!! LP is one of my favorite yarns.

Would it be too much trouble for you to post how you did the lining and the magnetic closure? Lots of people (me included!) seem interested.

It looks very professional; you did a great job!

Andrea
07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
:inlove: It looks fantastic!! I hope that's for you!!!

Purple is my favorite too!! :inlove:

newamy
07-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Okay, by popular demand how I lined my bag:

Discalimer: I can sew but I'm not a pro, if you saw it up close I could point out how my lining is less than perfect- but it's on the inside so who cares? Also giving instructions is a bit intimidating because there my be some super professional seamstress lurking out there who will say "Why did she do that??!!" I will try to be very simple and complete for the non-sewers, if you sew a bit and know what I'm talking about bear with me.

I started by buying matching fabric. I used about a quarter yard but had to actually cut a bit more than thst so I could have the design on the fabric going all the same direction. I have made mistakes cuting out linings before so buy at least 1/2 yard to a yard to be safe, if you have left over you might beable to use it in another project.
Next I bought interfacing, this is under the brand name "Pelon" and is available on bolts at the fabric store. It comes in different thickness. Mine was "craft" thickness I think, very stiff. Infact it was so stiff I was a bit doubtful, but thought well, I want it to be stong... I think I made a good choice in the end.

Prewash your fabirc. It will shrink. Then iron it before beginning to sew. In this way I can now in gentle cold wash my bag should it get dirty. If I didn't pre-wash, the lining might shrink in the process.

I measured the bottom of the bag and cut a square of fabric and interfacing together in that demention adding 5/8" to the dimension on all four sides. I did the same with each side piece (don't forget the 5/8th on each side!) Actually the front and back are the same size and the sides are same size so I was able to cut two peices of fabric and four interfacings all at the same time. Saves cutting.

Note on cutting- when I was done my peices were bit crooked. I'm not the straightest of cutters, but I can sew straight and the seams fixed all that for me, but do your very best to cut straight- I was in a bit of a hurry too.

The interfacing is iron on. For this purpose make sure you buy the iron on kind. Following the instructions that comes with the interfacing I ironed it onto the wrong side of all pieces of fabric.

I then sewed each side to the bottom. I used a sewing machine. I sewed using a 5/8th seam allowance - remember I allowed extra when I started out? If you don't have a machine or don't know how to use one I suppose you could do this by hand. But hand sewing is tedious and I'm not that great at it. It would work if you could make tiny stitches and had lots of patience but I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend learning to use a sewing maching- it's easy, honest. Easier than knitting I think!

After I sewed each bottom end to the bottom of the bag I seamed up the sides. This is where I goofed. I thought I'd cross my seams at the corners but I shouldn't have; it made my corners tricky. At this point it's good to iron down the seam allowance, this would be on the wrong interfacing side. However, I did not have to do this as the interfacing was so stiff that I was able to neatly fold it like construction paper. I also trimmed off a lot of the seam allowance close to the seam and especailly the corners, that makes a sharper corner and makes it fit better in the bag.
Also the stiff interfacing made my lining look like a box at this point. My daughter even thought I was making a box. Softer interfacing will have more give to it.

I then folded down the top to make a hem. Remember I cut things out crooked? So some sides were taller than others, but I was able to fold it all to the same height, trim off excess material and using the machine stitch a hem.

For most bags at this point I would just sticth by hand the lining to the bag. But the Booga Bag presents a special challenge: The handles. I had puzzled over this for a couple days before beginning. I finally decided to do this: I insterted my lining, lined it all up. Folded the bag and the lining together as instructed in the origianl booga bag pattern for shaping. I then marked on the interfacing side where I needed holes. It needed 8 holes! I decided to make button holes in these spots. My machine is a hand me down from grandma- holes are tedious. New machines I think will just make a button hole if you tell it to (Well it's supposed to be easier anyway.) So I made button holes, they were pretty lame if you want to know the truth. Plus I was on the phone with my mom at the same time. Sigh. I then snipped the fabric inside the button holes and had openings. I didn't want super big ones, some were too small. If I hadn't been on the phone I might have done better. So once all the holes were made I put the lining back in the bag and punched/cut holes in the booga bag and threaded the handle.

At this point I inserted the magnetic closure. It require snipping the fabric per package instructions, slipping the device through, placing a cover over the prongs and bending the prongs down with pliers. I had to do this on both sides of the bag, of course. I hadn't ever used a magnetic closure but it was very easy. The back of the closure is between the fabric and the knitting. One could instert a closure into a little square of fabric. sew the fabric to a knitted bag and then have a closure without a lining, if one wanted.

Then I hand stitch the lining into place around the top.

If I was to do this again I might try putting rivits for the holes. I have not ever done this before I looked at the tools and supplies for this in the fabric strore- I didn't price it but it's one of those things I decided not to buy because how often will I rivet something??? But It would make nice smooth holes and save one button hole anxiety. Maybe someone should try this and let me know how it works..

So that's how I did it. Really it's not 100% perfect, but it is sturdy and I think for my purposes it will hold up. If I was giving it away I might have tried to be a tiny bit neater.

newamy
07-26-2006, 05:13 PM
PS

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

:XX: