PDA

View Full Version : Lost Package Help

vknits
07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I ordered some yarn for a project. When I checked USPS online it says that my package was delivered. But I did not find the package in the mailbox nor at my door. What do I do ? Has anyone been in this situation before? I already started my project and without that remaining yarn I will not be able to finish my top. The wierd thing is nobody has ever lost any packages left at their doorstep before. Advice anybody??

Ingrid
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
My first step would be to call the post office. The carrier could have dropped it at a different door. You could also check with your neighbors to see if they got a package by mistake. :thinking:

Jan in CA
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Did you have a tracking number or something? I would contact USPS and ask about it. You may have to contact the company that sent it as well. They would know when it was sent and how.

I've had some odd things happen a couple times, too.

vknits
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi Ingrid,
Yeah I just assumed that people would return stuff if it wasnt theirs. I guess I will have to do the rounds :( I have been calling the post office for the past 2 days trying to get a hold of the carrier. I missed the mailman both times hope to catch him on the phone this evening. They did confirm though that the package is not at the post office:( I was so excited about getting that yarn and have been checking the mailbox like crazy, I am prayign that nobody stole it :(

Ingrid
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Maybe you could leave a note in the mailbox if he hasn't come yet today? Then he can at least point you in the right direction. If he did deliver it to you, then you can start the process of reporting stolen mail and hopefully get reimbursed.

vknits
07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Thank you ladies,
I did call the yarn store too, and I am waiting for them to call back. I have done that all except asking the neighbors. I didnt know that I would be this desperate about yarn :))

vknits
07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ingrid,
I am going to take your advice and leave a note. Wow you are so wise!! :cheering:

Ingrid
07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Not wisdom as much as total understanding of the NEED for yarn!

Jackie F.
07-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I can commiserate! I ordered some Shine from KnitPicks on 6/27/06, and I still haven't received it yet. (Note: the blame goes primarily to the USPS.) The first order got "lost" by the USPS because they initiated the forwarding of our mail 2 weeks before the online requested date. The said package had "no clue" as to where it should go since it wasn't sure if it should go to my old address or the new one. Thanks USPS for your screwup! The tracking info on KnitPicks says that the order is still at my former local post office. Before moving, I personally visited this post office and it WASN'T THERE (or so the attendant says - yarn snatcher!...just kidding :rollseyes: ). The tracking info still says that it was never delivered. KnitPicks re-sent the order, but the customer service lady didn't change my mailing address until after submitting the order. Therefore, the 2nd order got billed to my new address, but sent to my old address. Even though I had been successfully receiving forwarded mail when this 2nd order went out, it got "lost" too and at the same place. Yesterday, I called KnitPicks to see if they had any new information on my re-sent order. The lady I talked to issued a 3rd order and it should be mailed out today to my new address. Thank goodness because I'm waiting on this yarn to do the lacy baby shrug knitalong here at the KH Forum!

So, my yarn got lost while in transit intead of at my front door. But, I can relate to how you feel! I'll bet that someone at my old local post office is enjoying 2 orders of KnitPicks yarn as we speak... :evil: (again, just kidding... :rollseyes: )

P.S. I've never had any other issues with the USPS, and I realize that this is just one single event in the grand scheme of things. So, if you're an employee of USPS, please don't get offended at the frustration I've expressed in my own personal experience with mail forwarding. Maybe it's just a fluke, and I'm lucky enough to be part of it.

vknits
07-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I am positive that my mail was not stolen, it must have been misdelivered to a mailbox that no one uses. I just dont think its fair for the sender to pay extra for something that they already sent out. I wish they would knock on our doors and get us to sign for all packages like what UPS does.

Phretys
07-28-2006, 10:58 PM
I wish they would knock on our doors and get us to sign for all packages like what UPS does.

UPS doesn't where I live. They just leave it at the door and drive off. Or sometimes they leave the package at someone's else's door whose house number ended in the same two digits as mine, like they did with my digital camera.

Debi

Mrs.H
07-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I haven't had any problems outside of a UPS driver leaving a couple of packages at the door we never use(the one door at our house not wheelchair accessible), but he was a relief driver. I would suggest trying to have your packages sent as "signature required" on all future orders. As long as it's shipped as first class mail, or higher you should be able to do it, though it might cost a little more money, maybe a dollar or two more. I hope you get this straightened out soon.
Linda

Renoah
07-29-2006, 12:43 AM
As someone who works in the shipping industry (though not for the USPS), I have to say: Sometimes packages get lost. Not just misdelivered, not just held up at the station, but well and truly lost, as in fell into a wormhole between the truck and the station and no one can tell where it might have landed lost. You greatly increase your chances of finding the package if you take action quickly- I know that after ten days, my company won't even bother looking for the package; they'll just tell you to file a claim.

Also, if there'

Renoah
07-29-2006, 12:51 AM
As someone who works in the shipping industry (though not for the USPS), I have to say: Sometimes packages get lost. Not just misdelivered, not just held up at the station, but well and truly lost, as in fell into a wormhole between the truck and the station and no one can tell where it might have landed lost. You greatly increase your chances of finding the package if you take action quickly- I know that after ten days, my company won't even bother looking for the package; they'll just tell you to file a claim. When there are so many zillions of packages zooming around the country, some of them disappear. I just wish fewer of them were mine. :?? I usually just chalk it up to the revenge of the knitting gods and start filing the claims.

Renoah
07-29-2006, 12:52 AM
As someone who works in the shipping industry (though not for the USPS), I have to say: Sometimes packages get lost. Not just misdelivered, not just held up at the station, but well and truly lost, as in fell into a wormhole between the truck and the station and no one can tell where it might have landed lost. You greatly increase your chances of finding the package if you take action quickly- I know that after ten days, my company won't even bother looking for the package; they'll just tell you to file a claim. When there are so many zillions of packages zooming around the country, some of them disappear. I just wish fewer of them were mine. :?? I usually just chalk it up to the revenge of the knitting gods and start filing the claims.

kemp
07-29-2006, 11:00 AM
How frustrating! I think it might be even more frustrating knowing it was delievered since it had delivery confirmation than it would be to just have it lost in limbo. Are any of your neighbors out of town? Could be sitting on someone's porch somewhere...weird that someone wouldn't call you if they got it by mistake. Espeically for yarn...we're all crazy about it, but I can't imagine anyone else would be excited enough about a box of yarn to just keep it!