PDA

View Full Version : Needle Materiel

Braden
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
What's your preferred knitting needle materiel? I like metal. PM me if your favorite isn't on here, and I'll update.

Celine
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Before I bought my Denise set I loved using wood and bamboo needles. Since I have my Denise set they are ALL I use when possible. I don't like metal ones at all anymore. :XX: :XX:

brendajos
07-28-2006, 10:22 AM
i love the addi material the best but i love the pointiness of the Denises. I would definitely disagree about them being plastic though. When i first started knitting i bought some needles that were truly plastic and they were HORRIBLE. if they were all i would ever be able to find i would have never kept knitting. The Denises don't feel anything like that plastic in any way at all! :thumbsup:

Mrs.H
07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
While I voted for metal I am also really starting to enjoy my vintage, plastic Boye's circular set. The yarn moves smoothly on them, and the cables are very flexible.
Linda

Ingrid
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I voted metal because I love my Addis, but I do like bamboo for dpns.

rebecca
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Nickle coated metal....hands down...my KnitPicks Options set to be exact ;)

Braden
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
MrsH. would that be the Boye KnitMaster? I saw one on another site and I think Denise designed it for Boye.
I also like bamboo for DPN's. The Boye's I have really are too slippery.
Thanks for voting.

Jax3303
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
I prefer metal for most yarns/projects. sometimes I'll use bamboo dpn's, but I prefer metal there too.

AidanM
07-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I prfer metal, for the speed, but I'm also terribly fond of my Denise set.

SandraEllen
07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
metal for everyday, but bamboo for dpns

KellyK
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Im gonna agree with Bren. I cast a null vote because Denises do NOT compare to plastic. They are smooth and nice. They knit more like bamboo, but smoother. Not slippy-smooth like metal.

projectgal
07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
It all depends. I like metal (addis) when I use cotton or acrylic blends. The yarn slides better across the needle especially when you don't have much stretch in the yarn. Just bought a Knitpicks Options in size 3, and they SCARE me! Tiniest little things. I almost feel like I'm knitting for a doll house. Hopefully I will get used to them with time.

But I like bamboo for wool projects!

Braden
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
KK, I didn't mean that they compared to plastic. I tried them, and even though I did not like them, they are WAY better than plastic. Sorry for the confusion.

VickiIL
07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Without a doubt my metal Options, followed by my Addis....then my Denises....

Now I can't stand the metal Boye's......so before I tried Addi's and KP Options I would have said denise's

ladyindica2000
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Like most, I have diff preferences for what I am knitting. I love my Denises for most things and esp slippery yarn, but I also like my Boye's for yarns that are sticky feeling (ie WOTA) and love bamboo for sock and dpn.

Amber
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I voted Bamboo, but I also :heart: my new Options set! I like bamboo for dpns.

Braden
07-30-2006, 03:36 AM

I like bamboo DPN's too, but I haven't tried the options set. Are they any good? I love my Boye NeedleMaster, and it is really all I need, when you take into account that I have a set of 4 pairs of Crystalites Needles. I don't really like Addi Turbos, because of the horrible blunt tip. Can you give me the specs of the Options please?

Braden
07-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Im gonna agree with Bren. I cast a null vote because Denises do NOT compare to plastic.

I didn't mean they were LIKE plastic. Just that they were in the same family.

Renoah
07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
To quote my favorite animated cucumber... *deep breath* "Bamboobamboobamboo!"

:D

Renoah
07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
To quote my favorite animated cucumber... *deep breath* "Bamboobamboobamboo!"

:D

geekgolightly
08-01-2006, 01:17 AM
i used to like aluminum straights but since ive started to try cabling and also, since ive started to knit much looser, im trying to replace all my metals with bamboo. i love bamboo DPN's as well. and i adore my addis for circular knitting.

dustinac
08-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I love bamboo for dpns... and love my Denise's... if I could I would own all the addis LOL but I'm gonna get the options hopefully soon :happydance:

Amber
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM

I like bamboo DPN's too, but I haven't tried the options set. Are they any good? I love my Boye NeedleMaster, and it is really all I need, when you take into account that I have a set of 4 pairs of Crystalites Needles. I don't really like Addi Turbos, because of the horrible blunt tip. Can you give me the specs of the Options please?

If you don't like Addi's because of the tip, I think you'll really love the Options. From what I've heard, the Options tips are much pointier than the Addi's.

The Options needles have a wonderful, amazingly flexible cable :heart: , and very smooth joins. I love, love, love mine! Oh, and you can't beat the price!

EssenceRose
08-03-2006, 04:11 AM
I love my bamboo needles the most. :inlove: Having said that, I'm really itching to try out these "new" (well... new in NZ anyway) glass needles that I saw in the latest knit world catalogue. They look really cool, but I'm wondering if that's all that's cool about them (the look). I'm not willing to fork out a bunch of dosh to buy a set if I don't know how good they are just yet. So maybe the lady behind the counter at the LYS here will let me give them a little test. LOL