PDA

View Full Version : Knitpicks new knitting bag

VickiIL
07-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Has anyone seen the new knitting bag system knitpicks has come up with?

http://www.knitpicks.com/Tools/Tools_display.aspx?itemid=80304

What do you think?

EssenceRose
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
I think I want one. Anything is better than what I carry around now. I have a knitting bag that is filling up very quickly and I carry my purse seperately. It's a real pain to take it with me because it's rather large and bulky. I'd love something a bit more stylish but that could hold everything I need, including my take along knitting.

VickiIL
07-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I wish they had more pictures of the purse and the knitting bag....Especially of the inside. I'm interested but I would definately want to see that before I bought the set. It looks like you can buy the pieces separately as well.....(of course you get more for your buck if you get the set....)

KellyK
07-28-2006, 11:35 PM
I cannot express an opinion until they show me the inside. How silly of them! :??

AidanM
07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Gosh dangit. There needs to be a manly knitting bag! :doh:

Mrs.H
07-29-2006, 12:21 AM
I agree that I would have to be able to see pictures of the insides of all the bags before I'd invest my money in any of them. I would also hope they'd have some other colors to choose from, not just black. I don't know about the rest of the ladies here, but I'm fairly particular about my pocketbooks. I will say that having a set something like these is appealing to me, and it would help solve the what do you want for B-day, Christmas, etc questions. I am very hard to shop for, according to my family anyhow.
Linda

EssenceRose
07-29-2006, 12:44 AM
That is a VERY good point, Adian. Unless a man carries around a briefcase, he's quite limited in his choices. I mean ... men knit, too!! And men need places to carry their things as well.

Having said that, it's become a bit more socially acceptable for men to carry bags now days. Over here in NZ, it isn't really a worry. Everybody (including business men) carry back packs...

AidanM
07-29-2006, 12:46 AM
There are no backpacks that I have been able to find that have anywhere near the number of variety of the pockets I see in most knitting bags. It's very frustrating when you want to carry a well-stocked knitting bag, but your notions are all jumbled up together and the yarn is tangled around your keys and your needles keep poking holes in the bottom.

EssenceRose
07-29-2006, 12:49 AM
good point. I was just thinking that there is no way I'd carry my knitting in a back pack. However, you could always get a knitting ball/bag and needle case to put in a backpack. That way, everything would be contained but it would still be on hand when you wanted to take it out.

I think you are very brave just for attempting to knit in public. I don't know many men with (excuse my language here, please) balls big enough to do that.

AidanM
07-29-2006, 12:49 AM
good point. I was just thinking that there is no way I'd carry my knitting in a back pack. However, you could always get a knitting ball/bag and needle case to put in a backpack. That way, everything would be contained but it would still be on hand when you wanted to take it out.

I think you are very brave just for attempting to knit in public. I don't know many men with (excuse my language here, please) balls big enough to do that.
I'm so social, if I didn't knit in public I'd never knit at all. :P

KellyK
07-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Aidan... what about the Jordana Paige Messenger bag (http://jordanapaige.com/messengerbag.html)??

itsbecca1979
07-29-2006, 06:07 AM
I like the design on the bags, but the handles make me think of oldlady handbags :rollseyes:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Those bags are absolutely horrendous. Oy. They look like what you would buy at Walmart, and snapping the purse to the knitting bag looks like the biggest pain in the arse ever.

No thanks...I like to use messenger and tote bags.

Aidan, you should most definitely try to locate a Fossil store near you, or go to a Dillard's or something. There are fantastic Fossil messenger bags that would make great knitting bags.

Old Knitter
07-29-2006, 08:35 AM
I LOVE "House"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, sorry, I was distracted. I would like to see the inside, and I would also like to feel the outside.

;)

itsbecca1979
07-29-2006, 08:38 AM
I have a "weekender" bag that I keep my stuff in, I got it from Yves Rocher with an order I made.

VickiIL
07-29-2006, 08:57 AM
, and snapping the purse to the knitting bag looks like the biggest pain in the arse ever.

See now that is the ONLY part that intrigues me. I hate switching my purse and my knitting or getting my "purse things" all snagged up in my knitting. I also don't like taking a project out of a bag so I can put another in.... Basically I hate all the switching I do. So the concept of the multisized knitting bags with a purse that attaches to it is a concept I love. Now the design of the bags they came up with needs a little work but again we have one not so great picture...I still wish they took more.

lisa2
07-29-2006, 09:47 AM
I think that I will save my money and buy a Lexie Barnes bag one day.

Nikki
07-29-2006, 10:17 AM
I think I love it! :inlove: But as everyone else has said, "MORE PICTURES PLEASE!"
Nikki

kemp
07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
That is weird they don't show the inside! Sounds like it has lots of good pockets though. I'd also like to see the fabric more close up.

Great prices though for sure. Knitpicks is really doing some great marketing lately by manfacturing their own stuff.

AidanM
07-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Aidan... what about the Jordana Paige Messenger bag (http://jordanapaige.com/messengerbag.html)??
It's not really my style. Too glossy and shiny for my tastes, really.

kemp
07-29-2006, 02:12 PM
How about a nice dark chocolate corduroy (http://namasteneedles.com/)? Seems manly to me :)

AidanM
07-29-2006, 02:19 PM
How about a nice dark chocolate corduroy (http://namasteneedles.com/)? Seems manly to me :)
I do like that...the lining's a little iffy, though. I'd consider it, though.

cozy
07-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Nice, but too basic black for me. But the price isn't bad. I think it'd be good for people who don't necessarily want the world to know "my knitting's in this bag."

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.fossil.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2519&itemType=CATEGORY

Most of their bags do not have zippers, and have tons of pockets. I really love the worn looking leather ones. :heart:

Ladybug Lady
07-29-2006, 09:04 PM
I think I want a set. Really, REALLY want a set. But I agree that color/pattern variety would be great. Also, I'd want to see the inside, too. However, if it came with the guarantee that each time I open the purse, my keys and cell phone would be right on top, I'd snatch it up in a second!!!

:rofling:

AidanM
07-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I wonder if they put as much thought into these bags as they did with their needles. These seem to be a little more...How can I say this. Off the cuff.

newamy
07-30-2006, 10:36 AM
As far as the Knitpicks bags thery need more pictures. I just didn't "get" it when I first studied the ad.

AidanM: Well I don't have specific advice a bout a manly knitting bag. I'm a reletively new knitting and what I keep my knitting in is a bag I knitted. I't not perfect but works. I don't do a lot of public knitting. I always doing other things when I go places.

Anyway, my husband has a "man bag" for his every day stuff. He bought a black sporty satchel a few months back. It's smallish to medium sized, from Eagle Creek. It has pockets under the flap for cards and phone and then inside he puts his wallet, his PDA, glasses, check book, etc. He was thrilled whne he came up with this idea. He doesn't have a brief case job, and if he did he wouldn't carry one, not his thing. He used to put his stuff in one of those canvas grocery tote bags. He happily calls this his "purse". i.e. I say "honey where's the check book?" He replies "in my purse!" My husband also bikes a lot and he takes lunch or other things to work in his messenger bag- so the "purse" goes in the messenger bag along with anything else he needs to haul along. Much classier than the dirty canvas grocery bag was. He doesn't carry his purse around absolutely everywhere the way a woman would, but if he needs too he could and it just looks like a small sporty bag.

Knitty.com has a knitted messenger bag pattern. Maybe that would work for your knitting and other stuff?

Treeling
07-30-2006, 10:21 PM
The thing about most of the "knitting" bags I see is that I get the impression that they're just pocket-y bags with the price jacked way up!

I'm with the person who got their bag at Fossil-- I've got a nice Kenneth Cole bag I grabbed up at TJ Maxx, and it has at least as many pockets and places as "knitting" bags usually do.

Aidan, I imagine if you dedicate yourself to some bag shopping (oh heaven!), you'll find a civilian bag that will suit your KIP needs!

As for the KP KIP bags, I wanna see the inside! What's so special!? Show me! *whines*

Denise in Michigan
07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
There are no backpacks that I have been able to find that have anywhere near the number of variety of the pockets I see in most knitting bags. It's very frustrating when you want to carry a well-stocked knitting bag, but your notions are all jumbled up together and the yarn is tangled around your keys and your needles keep poking holes in the bottom.
Aidan--Check these out!
http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/Pack%20Colors.htm
They come in denim, tapesty, and sexy (but pricey) leather.
I've used this knitting bag for several years, and even bought a second one. It's versatile, roomy, and sturdy. It has a roomy outer zippered pouch for keys, phone, wallet, etc.

A smaller version is:
http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/knit_knack_sack.htm
This one can be slung around the waist, over the shoulder, or across the body. It's great for smaller projects! I use a couple of these, too, but wish they had a pocket for non-knitting stuff.

They also have a mid-sized bag:
http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/hip_knit_sack.htm
I think the basic idea's good on this but it looks incredibly dorky and I won't touch it!

mulene
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I LIKE the idea of these.

I don't like the handles.

If it is the same material as the KP needles case, I'm afraid I am not too keen on it. The case is ok but the material and pattern just reminds me of the 80's - I don't know why. They may have just done a bag with a KP intertwined on it and plastered all over it (bit like the LV bags =P).

They just don't do it for me, though I would like more pictures.

Similarly I've also realised that knitting bags are bags with tons of pockets and a jacked up price. I have a great messenger bag I got from a conference in January. I get one every year - some years are better than others. Most years they are a messenger style bag. The one from about 5 years ago would be perfect but I can't find it and it was so different to the messenger bags.

Anyway the one I have is like a canvas messenger bag in blue - it has the Napster logo embroidered on the front and a "40 years of Midem" thing also plastered on it. I used to think walking around with that bag would be cringeworthy and too "show offy" since Midem takes place in Cannes and its just a big "look at me" sign. Anyway I emptied it of the music junk I got at the conference, and started to look at it in detail. This thing is GOOD. It has several pockets - two main pockets in the middle of the bag, several smaller pockets, pen holders, velcro down pockets and other bits. It is essentially like a laptop bag I guess.

Anyway it has space for knitting in the main pocket, space for needles etc in other little pockets (and the denise set fits in the front pocket too). I can either put the denise in or I can put my regular wallet etc in a small clutch like bag in the front pocket.

I would recommend looking at messenger type bags or at laptop type bags. I'm not a hugely girly girl on a day to day basis, I'm more of an "I need to live a practical life and dainty stuff gets ruined by my heavy use" type gal, so I prefer gender neutral things.

rozaroni
08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Pictures of the bags can be found here (http://knitchick.blog-city.com/it_finally_arrived.htm) and here (http://katydidknits.blogspot.com/2006/08/knit-picks-kip-bags-review.html)

~Roz~

dustinac
08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
thank you for posting those... they really showed the bags a lot better than KP did :thumbsup:

knitncook
08-04-2006, 02:12 PM
the fabric does seem to be like the knitting needle case. While I think that it is a fine fabric for my needles, I don't think it is what I want to tote around with me. I also would like to see better picks of what the insides look like. I appreciate whoever posted the pics of the bags with lots of yarn mushed in them, but would like to see what pocket options there are. I have a "small project bag" that I picked up at Michael's a while ago and it is fine for a pair of socks or the like, I would really like something that is much more, well, me. :)

rozaroni
08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I also would like to see better picks of what the insides look like. I appreciate whoever posted the pics of the bags with lots of yarn mushed in them, but would like to see what pocket options there are.

The second link does show the interior pockets. (http://katydidknits.blogspot.com/2006/08/knit-picks-kip-bags-review.html)

~Roz~

carollovesyarn
08-05-2006, 02:41 AM
mmmm...I totally missed the chart keeper! It's sweet! Incredibly portable and going on my wishlist NOW. :thumbsup:

http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/itemid_80314/tools_display.aspx