PDA

View Full Version : totally geeked out at the county fair...

Julie
07-29-2006, 09:55 AM
So, the other night I was at the fair with DH, my brother, and my kids. We turned a corner and saw...a tent with spinning wheels, yarn, and lots of fiber. :inlove: I went over and talked with the spinning woman a bit, but she had started to explain spinning to a group of people who had never seen a wheel before, so I couldn't talk as much as I'd have liked.

I was wandering around, fondling these wonderful rovings and handspun yarns, whenI heard a voice say, "um, we're going to head over to the pony rides, you can meet us there." :roflhard: I had to pull myself away so I wouldn't miss getting pics of my daughter's first pony ride...but the rest of the night I was thinking of ways I could get back to the fiber....

kemp
08-14-2006, 10:35 AM
:roflhard: Who could blame you? I'm sure your daughter would have understood.

Julie
08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I went back by myself the next morning, bought fiber, and had my own personal wheel spinning demonstration! :thumbsup:

Silver
08-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I've done that too. Our local county fair has a whole section dedicated to "Early Florida Life" with all sorts of old time crafts and creations. And of course they have spinners and knitters (and weavers, quilters, etc). I love visiting them too. I could hang out with them all day if I didn't have kids with me. Maybe I should go alone next year. LOL

Shandeh
08-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Now, you know why I love to go to the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair!!!
www.saffsite.org

There are TONS of spinning wheels, fiber, yarn, instructors, and animals. I LOVE GOING THERE!

I'll be there in October. :wink:

Silver
08-19-2006, 01:38 PM
I was just asking hubby last week if we could go to SAFF this year. It'll be a bit of a drive, but it's the closest fiber festival I could find. I soooo wanna go!

Shandeh
08-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Oh Silver! Please do come. I would LOVE to meet you!

I'm sure you would enjoy the fiber fair. There are lots of yarn and fiber vendors. Spinning wheels, handmade spindles, knitting needles, felting supplies, crochet needles, patterns, and lots of workshops with interesting instructors. There is a TON of beautiful handspun yarn on sale.

Angora rabbits are in cages in the fiber display area, and other animals are in a separate building. Alpacas, Llamas, Sheep, and other fiber animals are in great abundance.

The fair is free on Fridays, and $2.00 on Saturday and Sunday. I'll definitely be there on Friday, because that's when you get the best deals from the yarn vendors, clearing out their extras. (I got sock yarn for $2.00 a skein last year!) I'll hopefully be there on Saturday as well. I won't be able to go on Sunday, because I'm a church organist. (I already used up all my vacation when I had surgery in February.)

I've heard that there is a fun animal show on Sundays. Maybe I'll be able to go to that next year. I really want to see the sheep and working dog show!

tmsl
08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I plan to go on Saturday!!!!

Sandy-how long does it take you to get there from Charlotte??

Laura

itsbecca1979
08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Oooh that Sunday is my birthday! And, Ashville is only about 45 minutes from here...if we have money I Might could actually go!

Shandeh
08-29-2006, 02:37 PM
I plan to go on Saturday!!!! Sandy-how long does it take you to get there from Charlotte??

Gosh, it all depends on how pretty the trees are! If there is lots of color, it will take me 4 hours. :teehee: Otherwise, only 2.

Last year, I had trouble FINDING the place, and got directions from a guy at a gas station. He took me the wrong way, but it ended up being a WONDERFUL side trip, with some of the best scenery I have ever come across. I was in heaven. :heart:

tmsl
08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes, I imagine that part of the state is GOREGOUS that time of year. :happydance: Ah the thought of cooler weather, to sit outside and look at the leaves and knit!! Fall is just around the corner.

Shandeh
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
:cheering: WOO-HOO! :cheering:

:heart: :heart: I LOVE FALL!!!!! :heart: :heart:

:happydance: :woohoo: :happydance:

Silver
09-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh Silver! Please do come. I would LOVE to meet you!

I can't make any promises, but I am trying to make arrangements so I can go. I REALLY want to.. I'll let you know!

Shandeh
09-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I'll wait right here while you decide. http://bestsmileys.com/reading/3.gif

Mienna
09-29-2006, 11:59 PM
I wish I wasn't making a trip mid Nov to pick up my bunny up there! I'd love to come to that fiberfest, it makes me want to :drool: just thinking about it. Maybe next year. :D

Shandeh
09-30-2006, 12:25 AM
You'd LOVE it! Be sure to mark your calendar for October of 2007! :)