PDA

View Full Version : How old??

knitaddict
07-30-2006, 12:28 PM
I was reading posts today and something sparked my curiosity...

How old were you when you learned to knit?

How old are you now?

I'm just interested to see how broad a range of ages we have here on KH. I was 33 when I learned to knit and still am.

Ingrid
07-30-2006, 12:36 PM
I was about 9 when I learned to knit. I'm 52 now. I haven't knit all those years in between, but did knit in spurts over that time. The past 3 years have been my 'knitting addicted' years, though I did knit quite a bit when my children were babies, with the occasional gift thrown in. I never forgot how, though, even though there might have been a decade between projects.

Amber
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm coming up on my one year anniversary. I was 34 when I learned to knit and I'm 35 now.

KellyK
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I was 34. Now Im 35. (and a half)

knitqueen
07-30-2006, 12:53 PM
I was 29, and I'm turning 30 tomorrow! :balloons:

jdee
07-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I just started knitting this year. I'm 37.

BinkyKat
07-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I tried at least half a dozen times over the years to teach myself to knit or crochet... but I would say I officially "learned" 2 years ago this month at 35.... sooooo, I'm still 35... I decided then to officially begin lying about my age when necessary. :roflhard:

knitaddict
07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I decided then to officially begin lying about my age when necessary. :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Ellen Edwards
07-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I've done crochet since I was about 20. When I was in my late 20's, I learned to knit and purl, and did a couple of Christmas stockings for the kids, and some little knick-knacky ugly things too. (And Holiday things like the little knitted cabled wreath that NOBODY in their right mind would want to wear no matter WHO knitted it!! But you know...the THINGS you do when you're BORED)

About 2 years ago--I got the "I really want to knit SOCKS!!" thing. I found KH.com and I've been knitting (slowly) ever since, although I'm not nearly as prolific as most of you are. And when I just finished my first pair of clogs and the 2nd is completely different from the first--I want to QUIT again!!

So , now I'm 56--I'll be 57 in November--maybe I'll get it right someday! I feel like the really old grandma here! I don't FEEL that way til I hear how young you all are!!DOH!

snowbear
07-30-2006, 01:32 PM
I first learned when I was about 15 or so... but didnt keep up with it... now.. I'm 29..( ;) ) and my daughter is 22!.. You do the math, lol(i was older than she is now when she was born, lol

CateKnits
07-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I learned when I was 17. It was right before I turned 18, my first quarter at college. I guess it was probably October or really early November because I was knitting over Thanksgiving. I'm 19 (and a half! :roflhard: ) now.

Julie
07-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Learned at 34...now I'm 35...like all the cool kids :happydance:

javede
07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I learned to knit two years ago at the age of 19 and I'm 21 now.

PinkRoses
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I started when my age was in the single digits. I've gone back and forth over the years and since this past winter, I've gone back to it more than ever before. I'm 35 yrs. old :happydance: I usually knit every day.

Jenelle
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I started knitting when I was 12, and now I'm 14. :)

Secksiebrat
07-30-2006, 01:57 PM
My grandmother taught me when I was 6 or so but I didn't do much with it. I took a class with my mom at michaels last fall, I was 23. I'm now 24 and still knitting when my little guy allows me some time!

~danielle~

Lieke
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I learned knitting when I was about 8 years old, but I didn't really start till I was 20. Now I'm 21.

XbelovedXoneX
07-30-2006, 03:04 PM
I only learned back in February at 23, and that's how old I still am.

Jackie F.
07-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I was 31 when I re-learned how to knit, thanks to KH and the internet. Now I'm about to turn 33. :D

rebecca
07-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I learned to knit when I was 46, I'm now 48 ;)

EDIT!!! LOL, I realized that I'm not 48, but 47 (with a touch of senility I think :rofling: :roflhard: )...so, I started knitting when I was 45!!

DianaM
07-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Learned to crochet at 9.
Learned to knit at 27.
Will turn 28 in November :happydance:

Emeraldcutie
07-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I learned to knit between my 8th and 9th birthday, and have knit on and off pretty much regularly.
Iam now 32 :shock:

GrandmaLori
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I learned to knit in 5th grade. Our children's group at church taught all us girls to cross stitch one year, knit the next year, and crochet the next year. I don't know if they still do that with kids, but I sure am glad I learned. Since my mom is a knitter, I stuck with knitting more than crochet, and I've been knitting ever since. I'm only 46.

mks22300
07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I learned to knit when I was 27 and now I'm 29.

janelanespaintbrush
07-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Wow, it seems like a lot of us are 35! That's how old I was when I started back in February, and how old I'll be until December.

kristinw
07-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I started in March when I was 34, and I turned 35 in June.

cgd
07-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm 41 now and just am learning to knit. I crocheted a little as a child--it was big in the 70s, I was probably 8 when I learned. I usually have one knitting and one crochet project going at a time since I'm generally spazzy and unfocused!

melinphx
07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
I first learned to knit when I was about 14 or 15, but didn't do anything with it until I was 25. I learned to read patterns in an old knitting and crocheting book my mom gave me (and quit smoking... fingers kept busy with knitting, mouth kept busy with wooden toothpicks, and cravings held off with Nicorette gum). Then I gave up knitting and crossed over to crochet until this year (crochet just wasn't challenging anymore, I guess). Thanks to KH, I've been doing patterns I would have never dared before.

-Melanie

melinphx
07-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Doh! I'm 46 now... forgot that little tidbit. There was a 20 year hiatus in my knitting.

-Mel

Ronda
07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
I learned last year when I was 39. I've had a birthday since then. :)

Sknitter56
07-30-2006, 07:38 PM
I actually learned to knit when I was in junior high school. I took French and our class put on a play about the storming of the Bastille. It was told the women knit while the fighting was going on (or so I remember...this was in the early '60's). Anyway, our French teacher taught all of the girls how to knit (not purl, though), and we knit as we said our lines. That was it for me until around 1984 or so when my next door neighbor convinced me to pick it up again. She knit beautifully and I really wanted to make sweaters like she did. I've made several sweaters, lots of hats and socks, general knitting projects. My DH, bless his heart, trying to help out, washed (and dried!!!) my 100% merino wool sweater that I spent 2 years making (off and on). It was so soft and actually fit me well, all seed stitch with cables and diamonds up the front and sleeves. OMG, that sweater drove me crazy. It would barely fit a doll baby when it came out. I got faint, stomach started churning, I thought I was going to cry. He now will not touch any of my laundry :D I went to a new yarn store in town the other day and after I told the owner this story, she just about convinced me to make it again. Just thinking about all that seed stitch drives me crazy, but I just may do it. I still have the pattern, so who knows??

BTW, I just turned 57 on July 3. Retirement only 5 years away!!! Then I hope to really do a lot more knitting.

Jax3303
07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I learned to knit when I was 22. I was 9 mos pregnant with my DD, and needed something new to do (at that point I had been crocheting for 2 years) to keep my hands busy and my mind occupied during seemingly endless hours of braxton hicks contractions. So, DH went out and got me a new skein of yarn and the boye learn to knit kit. 2 weeks later i had a new baby and a new scarf..:D DD is now 17 months old and I am now 24.

knotmaker
07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I was 31 when I learned ... (I turned 32 earlier this month) ... :XX:

Mer
07-30-2006, 08:59 PM
My mom taught me how to knit when I was 10 or so and I made a few dishclothes. I picked it back up again when I was 24 and my SIL and MIL started knitting--now I'm 26.

margie
07-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I learned to knit just over a year ago- I just had my 37th birthday. :D

feministmama
07-31-2006, 12:54 AM
I must've learned when I was a girlscout but I don't remember. But I do know that I learned when I was 24 and have been hooked ever since. I will be 40 a week from Thursday.

snephenie
07-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Learned last summer. Am 30 now.

AidanM
07-31-2006, 01:47 AM
I was 17 when I learned, I'm 18 now.

DreamWeaver
07-31-2006, 01:47 AM
Well, I just turned twelve when I learned how to knit, and I'm thirteen now. I'm just old enough to join this site :XX:

Nocturna
07-31-2006, 03:41 AM
I learned in May (or April?) of this year... I was (and still am) 17. :D

horve1
07-31-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't remember my exact age when I started, but I was a pre-teen when my Gramma taught me. Only did a very little knitting between then and about 2 years ago. I'm - gosh I hate this - 52 now. :crying:

elfhelm
07-31-2006, 07:35 AM
My first summer home from university was so long and boring that it very nearly drove me insane (four whole months?!) so I was determined not to let that happen this summer. I had made up a huge reading list and was going to read my summer away while sitting at my do-nothing job ... and then, for no reason at all, I decided I'd learn to knit instead. I've only been knitting since the middle of June and will be 20 come September.

gingerbread
07-31-2006, 07:47 AM
I was about 9 when my aunt taught me to knit. Funny thing was she was left handed and I am right handed, and I knit right handed. Anyway didn't do much until I retired and found this site one day. My daughter wanted to learn to knit and that made me try again. For some silly reason I wanted to learn to make socks. I learned the hard way trial and error, then I found KH and the rest is history. I love making socks and that is about all I do I think now I am, going to start with felting! I know now that with this board I don't have to go it alone anymore.
Oh ya I am 57 going on 58 in November.

cozy
07-31-2006, 07:50 AM
I was 32, 1 month shy of 33. That was about 2.5 years ago. I picked up a book at the bookstore on knitting--although it wasn't the best learn-to-knit book (I've seen many better ones since), what convinced me was that it spelled everything out, no abbreviations.

monzogary
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
I started both knitting and crocheting the winter I turned 14, but I can't remember if I was 13 or 14 when I learned. I am now 34. My mom taught me how to do the basics of both and I learned the rest from pattern books and magazines. I haven't ever totally stopped doing either one, but I'll put hobbies aside for a while and then pick them back up. I have been knitting almost constantly since last fall though lol. With a teenager and two preschoolers, I need the relaxation and stress relief I get from it!

SandraEllen
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
i picked it up last year to keep myself entertained in the car. Was 27. I'm 29 now.

kschmitz
07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
I learned the basics about 2 years ago, but put it away until 9 months ago due to busy times at work. I'm 32. :D

Julie
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Okay, how pathetic is it that I don't know how old I am?? I said I was 35, but I'm actually 36. So I learned when I was 35. :roflhard:

JamOKnit
07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
I bought myself my first knitting needles and a how-to book for Christmas 2004, and I was 30. It took me one whole year to have a scarf to show for my efforts (basketweave for a first-timer, I was impressed with myself!), but since January of 2006, I've been a knitting maniac! I am now addicted to buying yarn, ordering needles off Ebay and have taken a class to knit a sweater and have also picked up beginning crochet.

I am now 32. Goal is to have homemade Christmas gifts for everyone this year! :happydance:

knit-errant
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm 29 now. I learned to crochet when I was 19, but didn't figure out knitting until I was 28.

ebrperk
07-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I was 34 when I taught myself to knit. I was inspired by the show Knit One, Purl Two on DIY so I bought myself some cheap yarn and needles. That was January of 04, I am now 36 almost 37.

candicane
07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
I got the Stitch and Bitch book from the library last November. I was 34. Now I am 35 and thanks to the book and this website I am addicted!

Candi

nadja la claire
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I learned to CO and garter stitch in April of last year and I have been addicted ever since. I learned to purl last September. I was 41 in April of 2005, I'm now 43.

Nadja :XX:

figaro
07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I am 39 and I still consider myself to be learning. I started by buying the Knitting and Crocheting for Dummies and I needed help! :rofling: So when the flyer for the local Adult Ed came out and there was a knitting class I jumped on it. And DH was kind enough to book his flights for work around my classes to watch the kids :inlove: .

I am amazed at the amount of knitters I see on here that have just learned in the past year or so and they have 3 or 4 WIP and some FO's:notworthy: . I have knit 2 scarves and one washcloth :oops: . And I am struggling with a hat from my class (the struggle began with k3tog and snowballed from there!)

I am also trying to get insipired to knit something to challenge myself but have yet to find it! :wall:

Someday..... ;)

knitaddict
07-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm so glad I asked this question!! It's been fun reading all of your posts. :) I'm surprised at the age range. It's seems we have about a 40 year age range from 13 to 53 (or more?) How neat is that????!!!

:cheering: :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup:

ladyindica2000
07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
I was 27 when I learned to knit and I owe it all to my sister... who doesn't knit or crochet at all.

My sister convinced me to learn how to crochet with her. She begged and pleaded that I take a class with her and then we were going to make everyone their Xmas presents last year. But, she quit after a week and I loved it. LOL.

I am 28 now.

cheesiesmom
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I learned at 9 or ten from my mother. She never encouraged me to continue because I wasn't very good (sewing either tho' for years after I was married I made all my own clothes.) Have been in and out of it (mostly out for the last 20 years) over the years and it looks/sounds like I get the prize for the oldest broad on KH--59-1/2 (the big SIX-OH in February). Oy-vay!! Where's the dye, my gray roots are popping through.

My latest love is SOCKS! To keep my diabetic old lady feet warm.

:rofling:

itsbecca1979
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
I think I was 14 when I learned, and I'm 26 now :D

Denise in Michigan
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Okay, how pathetic is it that I don't know how old I am?? I said I was 35, but I'm actually 36. So I learned when I was 35. :roflhard:
They say the memory's the first thing to go... :doh:

Denise in Michigan
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
When I was 18, my Mom had someone at work teach her to crochet during her lunch hour. By the time she got home, she had forgotten how to do it! I studied the photocopy of the article her teacher gave her (from either "Woman's Day" or "Family Circle" magazine, it was), taught myself, then retaught her!

A couple of years later, I learned to knit from the book "Step-by-Step Knitting" by Mary Walker Phillips. I am indebted to Ms. Phillips!

I've embroidered since I was a kid; machine-sewed since then, too. I didn't learn to cross-stitch till I was 30, when I couldn't find a wedding sampler that I liked in anything but cross-stitch.

Knitting and cross-stitch are the most addictive arts, especially knitting! I'll be a fabulous fifty on August 20th. I hope that KH is still here when I'm a super seventy!

dplantlady
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
I was a wee tyke when I learned to knit (somewhere in the single digits). Mom taught me how, as well as embroidery (mainly cross-stitch) and huck weaving (Anyone remember that??? I loved it.). Though Mom crocheted, she couldn't slow down enough that I could learn it from her, so I learned it in college from a house-mate my freshman year. And though Mom sewed up a storm, I learned sewing at the local Girls Club from a very sweet & patient lady, Mrs. Bramwell, bless her heart! Taught myself crewel, smocking (even won a cheezy $25 gift certificate for a smocked holiday ball one year...), filet crochet, quilted a few items, did some macrame, weaving, and actually did some custom sewing for real live customers!

But this is a knitting forum...I can't remember the last time I picked up knitting needles until about 6 months ago, when a friend convinced me to go with her to "classes" at the LYS. Since then, I've had 4 or 5 things on needles at the same time! I do still have an Aran knit car-coat-type wrapped, belted, shawl-collared sweater that I knit for myself...not much else. Oh, there were a couple of nearly-but-not-finished-for-one-reason-or-another sweaters laying around that I frogged for yarn (too poor at the time to buy food, let alone yarn...and at the prices they're going for these days...sheesh!) to start making Snuggles...still doing that...should have more than 2 dozen to take to the local no-kill shelter in the fall this year. Not all are knitted, some are cut-up bedspreads.

It's been a long, strange trip.

Just realized sitting here that I'm older than the year I was born...which was '52. Where did all that time go??? :shock:

Anyway, I can't even begin to tell you what a wonderful find this site has been for me! A GREAT BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!

Especially Ingrid :thumbsup: You're the best!

Diane

jhelanee
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
My Mom taught me when I was little - probably around 7 or 8. I only made one FO that I remember (a teddy bear vest), but played around with stitch pattern swatches occassionally for years. There was a big break during high school and college (along with some foreys into crochet), before I really picked up knitting again about 5 years ago when I started grad school. I am now 28 and have thoroughly enjoyed learning many new-to-me techniques over the last year.

orcoastknitter
07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
I was taught to knit when I was 34. I was the oldest in my class. Of course the class contained mainly 9-12 year olds! I just turned 35 in June.

mulene
08-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I THINK I was about 8 or 9 when I learned first. I didn't do much of it and then in middle school (9 - 13) I learned a bit of crochet and needlework. I never really enjoyed those classes; in fact I detested that entire school so from 9 - 13 I didn't really concentrate much and I spent much time being bullied so I just used to try to keep my head down.

In my later teens (19) I picked up a weekly magazine called Creative Knitting and taught myself to knit properly from that. I made a sweater (mum found the pattern the other day!) and I attempted the most horrific cardigan project ever - a family friend ended up finishing it for me and I threw down knitting after that. I wish I hadn't!

Then March this year I took it back up again. I am now 39.

Eloewien
08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
I started crocheting when I was about 6, my great aunt taught me. About 3-4 years ago (I would have been about 21), my mother in law sent me some Lion Brand fun fur to try. I picked up the basic lion brand "How to Knit" book and haven't put my needles down since. I've made felted clogs, I've made wonderful shawls, ponchos, scarves-- I just love it!! I'm very hyperactive, and it helps me to calm down and relax, especially when I'm stressed out. I have always been the crafty type and could pick up any craft and figure it out, and there are so many new techniques and patterns with knitting that I feel I could never get bored :)

The one thing I have yet to tackle is sweaters... I really want to, but they seem to be such monumental progress. Normal sizes never fit me, I'm all out of proportion for a normal pattern, and I'm not very good at tweaking patterns yet- I figure I'll get to that point someday!

Oh- and now I'm 25-- and never knew how much life could change in four years!!!

Laura

RachelJean
08-01-2006, 01:24 PM
I was probably about 10-11 when my grandmother taught me how to knit. I didn't knit for many years, but then I started up again about 2 1/2 years ago. I never really forgot how, but I had to refresh my memory on some things. I just turned 50 this year.

Jeremy
08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
I just passed my Knitting Aniversary. I was 49 when I began a year ago.

sara_jayne
08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
I started knitting in December of 2005...I was 28. I'm still 28 :) (I'll be 29 in September).

I insist that I learned when I was younger (maybe 9 or 10) but my mom insists that I never learned! :rollseyes:

mdsheriff
08-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I started knitting January 2006. I was 40. I've had a birthday since then. I'm looking forward to my first *knitting* anniversary in January 2007. It will be a kick to look back and see all the project I complete and what I've discovered.

wiredqs
08-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Learned when I was about 11, didn't do much when I worked for 30 years took it up again a couple of months ago...now 57.(another old lady)

nefferbea
08-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I think that I was about 8 or 9 when I learned to knit in a 4-H class. (Did anyone watch Most Dangerous Catch on Discovery Channel? The woman who taught me is the mother of Hiram Johnson, who was on the Maverick.) Anyway, as soon as I learned to sew, I dropped knitting because sewing was so much faster.

In the years since then, I've done counted cross stitch, needlepoint, quilting and Hardanger Embroidery. I still do a lot of quilting.

I started knitting again in 2002, picking up a sweater that I'd started in 1982! I finished it with lots of calls to my sister for help. Since then, I've had projects on the needles continually. I've made a lot of socks and sweaters, and enjoy doing cables or color work. I'm 45.

spooky
08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I took a beginner's class at AC Moore when I was 26 (2004) and now I am 27 (almost 28 in August). The class helped me out a bit, but this site has been a life saver !!!! I took another class at AC Moore last year that was suppose to be the "Beyond the Basics", but I already knew how to do all the teacher was showing us due to this site !!!! Lol, Ok I was kinda mad because I think I wasted the $15 on that hour.

JLC
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
I learned to knit when I was 27 and I'm 29 now....and I will continue to be 29 for the rest of my life, because I refuse to have any more birthdays.

newamy
08-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I was 37, right before my birthday I began to learn to knit, I wasn't very good at it- I got better after my birthday and I'm now nearly 38 and a half. I've only been knitting for 6 or 7 months.

midnightskyfibers
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
How old were you when you learned to knit? about 5.

How old are you now? 20

Ive been doing fiber related crafts all my life, knitting, crochet, spinning, felting, etc.

eeyore
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I was 12 when I learned to knit and now I'm 15 :D
:X:

FSB
08-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Everyone,
First Cheesiesmom, I am older at this point. Will be 60 in November. :cheering:
I come from a very Crafty family. My Great-Grandma right down to my sisters. I learned to embroidery when I was 11. But I was all thumbs. My Mom tried to teach me to crochet, I learned a wicked single crochet, could never get the hang of it. By my 30's a friend taught me to knit, I never had the confidence to go beyond knit, purl. Always admired what other could do. Then I decided to try my hand at spinning. My one sister weaves. Spinning seemed easy... :?? Anyway, this all lead to finding this web-site and getting brave from what Amy was teaching. I have made, socks, and a hat and working on a tie for my DH.

cheesiesmom
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
FSB, I bow to your superior knowledge by virtue of your being 3 mos older. I sorta thought I was the only one on this site. :lol:

IrishKnitter
08-04-2006, 07:59 AM
I was 25 when I learned, and I'm 26 now. (Granted, I learned in early July, and my birthday was in late July!) ;) I've been knitting for just over a month.

dimples
08-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I just started learning how to knit yesterday, and I am 32. I've had an interest in it for a while, but haven't found anyone to teach me. So, I finally decided to teach myself. This website has been a great help.

I am wondering if I'm crazy to start trying to learn now, though. I have two little kids (4 & 1 1/2) and I work full time! :shock:

Hopefully I will find time to do it, though, because I am already hooked! I can't wait to get home today to try some more! :happydance:

Dimples :XX:

paah-paah
08-19-2006, 10:51 AM
45 and I am 47 now.

Kirochka
08-19-2006, 12:06 PM
A friend's mother tried to teach me to knit when I was, I don't know, 8? 9? Didn't take. Fall of 2004 I saw the Yarn Girls' first book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0609608800/sr=8-3/qid=1156003457/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-3142267-7388131?ie=UTF8) in a catalogue and got inspired, went to the library, got some books (none of which were by the Yarn Girls... and after all this, I never have looked at those books!), taught myself to knit... or so I thought. I basically taught myself how to twist every stitch, I don't know how now. Did something bad to my thumb after having knit an entire skein into a skinny scarf (cf. "first project" thread! :wink: ) and stopped knitting in early 2005. Meanwhile, I inspired one of my best friends to start knitting! Found KH. Started again from scratch in January of this year, at the age of 43, and now consider myself a knitter. Turned 44 this past Tuesday...! :D

What a great topic! I love reading everyone's stories!

knitaddict
08-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I am wondering if I'm crazy to start trying to learn now, though. I have two little kids (4 & 1 1/2) and I work full time! :shock:

I taught myself as my 33rd birthday present. lol So you're not crazy at all! I have a 4 yo and my dh & I are ttc. I find it helps me to remain more sane. :)

stitchwitch
08-19-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm 38, started knitting a couple of weeks ago and I'll turn 39 in a couple more weeks.

Indygirl
08-19-2006, 12:31 PM
I've done crochet since I was about 20. When I was in my late 20's, I learned to knit and purl, and did a couple of Christmas stockings for the kids, and some little knick-knacky ugly things too. (And Holiday things like the little knitted cabled wreath that NOBODY in their right mind would want to wear no matter WHO knitted it!! But you know...the THINGS you do when you're BORED)

About 2 years ago--I got the "I really want to knit SOCKS!!" thing. I found KH.com and I've been knitting (slowly) ever since, although I'm not nearly as prolific as most of you are. And when I just finished my first pair of clogs and the 2nd is completely different from the first--I want to QUIT again!!

So , now I'm 56--I'll be 57 in November--maybe I'll get it right someday! I feel like the really old grandma here! I don't FEEL that way til I hear how young you all are!!DOH!

Don't feel bad I'm 63, been knitting off and on for the past 4 years.

jodstr2
08-20-2006, 10:57 AM
just a month shy of 34. now I'm 35 1/2.

SabrinaJL
08-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I learned the basics in a class when I was 12. I didn't keep up with it though and didn't start really getting into it again until a couple years ago. I'm 29 now.

I'm trying to teach my 12 year old daughter but she's having none of it. Says it's "too girly". Little twerp.

momwolf
08-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Started at age 24 stopped and started again at 52 am now 53

earthchick
08-20-2006, 05:59 PM
I first learned when I was 31 but didn't really learn until about a year ago (when I discovered KH!) when I was 34. I'm 35 now. And apparently in very good company! (shoutin' out to all the other 35 year-olds! :muah: )

suzeeq
08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I taught myself to knit when I was 14, and did a few things in high school and college. Made several more things after I was married and for the kids. So did about 25 years of sometimes knitting. Then I separated and maybe made one or two things over a few years, then nothing for over 10 years or so until I started up again last year. Now I keep coming up with more and more projects!!!! I'm 55 now.

sue

DragonTush
08-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I was 34 when I taught myself in Feb., I turned 35 this month.

........seems like there's some kind of midlife crisis or something at 34 eh? :roflhard:

Jillie
08-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I learned to crochet around age 10 and have done projects off and on (mainly afghans for family members) over the years. When my middle daughter found out she was expecting I decided to teach myself to knit to make my first grandbaby an afghan--granddaughter Merci is now 5 months, and the baby blocks afghan turned out lovely, though no where near as lovely as Miss Merci :heart: I'm 42 and so I've been knitting a little over a year and loving it! Now working on another afghan for the guest room and a couple of bunny blanket buddies for upcoming baby showers.

CindyH
08-20-2006, 10:19 PM
What a great thread! The age range of our knitting community is amazing!

I was 14 or 15 when my friend taught me how to knit. Took a long break and relearned how to knit from this site (and improved drastically!) late last year when I was 23. I am 24 now.

mamabeth
08-21-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm 30. I just learned to knit. :-) I was 10 when I learned to cross-stitch though, and that's something I still do regularly. Or rather I did before I learned to knit which is now my latest thing.....

knitmonkey
08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
My sister taught me when I was around 20 or 21. I never actually finished anything back then, and I started knitting again when I was 26, which I am now. Now I can't seem to stop.

Scathach
08-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I started to learn how to knit 2 years ago, i was 27 which makes me 29 now. My grandmother tried to teach me how to knit when i was a kid but i never had the patience or the dexterity for it. I love knitting now its so soothing plus i get comfy warm objects to keep out the cold of New England winters :)

MrsSquirty
08-22-2006, 07:24 AM
i started when i was 22 (okay weekend just gone) an im still 22 now lol