08-02-2006, 07:10 AM
:P You can't lock ME out!

Me either!....

Andrea
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
:twisted:

Angelia
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
All righty, ladies and gents, this month's challenge is a little bit different, starting with a new KAL leader for this month--ME!!

I challenge you to challenge yourselves by knitting the opposite way. What does this mean? Well....

Do you knit Conti (hold the working yarn in your left hand)? Then hold your yarn in your right hand, please--go English!

Do you knit English (hold the working yarn in your left hand)? Now's the time to try holding that working yarn in your left hand--go Conti!

The object of this KAL isn't to get you to change your knitting method. Rather, it's to get you to try a new knitting method. Studies have shown that doing repetitive tasks with the opposite hand gives the brain a mini workout and stimulates creativity, and we knitters loooooove creativity! So let's get those brains working!

"Um, what are we supposed to knit?" you ask. A simple swatch will do; just make it large enough to make the project worthwhile. A 4x4 inch swatch in stockinette will work, though a 6x6 inch swatch will work better--more stitches! :happydance: (If you're feeling particularly brave, you can knit a fair-isle swatch, quite a workout indeed!)

Things to bear in mind: Your knitting may feel awkward at first, your stitches may look really wonky, and you may find yourself tempted to give up. Please don't! This KAL isn't about perfection--this is about challenging yourself by trying something new. Even if you have tried the opposite method before and failed, try giving it another go. Who knows, this time it just might 'click' for you!

If you're unsure how to hold your yarn for the opposite-way KAL, use Amy's videos. Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/knit.php) the knit stitch, and Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/purl.php) the purl stitch. Watch them over and over if need be; KAL with her, too, if that helps you!

Please share your FOs when you're done! :cheering:

knitaddict
08-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I've been wanting to become more ambidextrous (sp?) with my knitting. I think it'll help me with Fair Isle, which is what my current WIP contains, so I'm off to watch the videos to learn how to hold the yarn in my left hand!!!! :)

Angelia
08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Woo hoo!!!! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-02-2006, 07:52 PM
We can all be SWINGERS:happydance:
Ang, you are so inspiring and motivating and ENCOURAGING, and ..... uhhhh..... FREEING! :oo:

I knit Conti, so I'll be trying the English method.
:XX:

jamadian75
08-02-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm totally IN!! (don't I say that alot??!)

I used both hands when doing a Fair Isle Hat recently and I'm completely sold on Conti expecially when doing Fair Isle, but I'm trained in English so I could still use some additional practice. What would we DO without Amy's videos? Seriously.

I'm thinking I'll try an easy garter stitch scarf knit horizontally. That would really give me good practice with the Knit stitch Conti-style, but I'll probably have to swatch something in Stockinette to force me to master that leftyliscious purling!

Hilde when I come to IL, I'm hoping I can watch you and any other ContiKnitters to get some good tips!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-02-2006, 09:07 PM
omg you do NOT want to watch me purl. I confuse people. Seriously. I'm a total wierdo when it comes to purling. I am really FAST but it's because I hold my needles totally wierd. People in LYSs have looked at me all squinty going "Oh.... hmmm.... ah... oh I see...." :rollseyes: KellyK even said I was freaky the first time we met :-(

Angelia
08-02-2006, 09:26 PM
:heart: :heart: Hildie! Of course now I simply MUST see you purl! And if it's fast, I want to know about it! I'm pretty sure that I purl more slowly than any person on the planet. I've timed myself--it takes me 4x longer to purl a row than it does for me to knit one. :(

I knit Conti, so English is my plan. Actually, the English knit stitch is fine, albeit rather slow; again, it's the purling that gets me! :help:

And I don't know what we'd do without Amy's videos! Me personally? I'd still be knitting ktbl (Combination method, actually) and only doing garter stitch.

Shandeh
08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I've always knit English...throwing the yarn with my right hand.

I've tried Continental, but it just won't work for me. I have arthritis in my left hand, so it just ain't happenin'

Sorry, I can't participate this time. :(

I still need to finish my felted project for July anyway, so I'll keep working on that. ;)

Angelia
08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Sorry, I can't participate this time. :(

:verysad:

VickiIL
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I have actually been practicing my conti knitting on a little swatch....Not sure if I will just keep on truckin' on that or if I will actually try a project....This has been a goal of mine for a while so this kal will be a great motivator!

Angelia
08-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Yay Vicki!! :cheering: :cheering:

NinaT
08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Angelia, Just an idea..
Here's a cute thing to do with the swatch we're supposed to make!
Bunny (http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/bunny.shtm)

Angelia
08-02-2006, 11:12 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I love it!!!

jberry16
08-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I can knit both ways, I first learned how to knit English but prefer cont. and I can purl REALLY fast cont. because I have my left thumb pull the yarn out and on the needle. I can purl at least twice as fast as i can knit. guess i'm wierd huh?
I really want to make that bunny, it's so cute and my 2 year old wants one :XX: :thumbsup: :cheering:

Angelia
08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
No, not weird! Or maybe I'm weird, too, because I'm trying to envision how you do that so that I can try it! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
ooo i made one of those bunnies! KK made several. They're really easy and cute!

jamadian75
08-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Stevie Wonder said it "These 3 words...sweet and simple"...

I was inspired by this post (http://ihavecraftadd.blogspot.com/2006/07/health.html) over at Cindy's blog to really give Conti a try so that I could possibly enter this new realm of knitting I've been craving, where I charge in bravely without fear. Part of my hesitation thus far is that I feel I knit slower than I would if I could just master the right technique for me.

So I checked out Amy's video on Conti purling again today for the 19th time and found these 3 words "to the right"...as in, push the working yarn down and to the right!! I didn't read the text that goes with the video before today, and Amy doesn't say it in the narration, but she does it. This has made ALL the difference in how I'm doing the Conti purl now and I'm ecstatic!! Call Ms.Oprah - I have had my AHA moment!! :rofling:

I'm doing a lace pattern on my secret project right now that is all purl on the WS and I'm going to force myself to purl this way for the rest of the project, by then I should be a pro!! :cheering: [/i][/b]

kitkat
08-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I started with conti but never really got it - took a class and learned english and thats what I have been doing for the past year and a half....the last pink lady bag I did I switched over to conti again (nothing like it for sheer repetitious mindless circular knitting) - it really does go quicker and now I think it clicked. I finished an entire bag at freshman orientation for my son and started another! woo woo!

Angelia
08-06-2006, 10:21 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Hurrah for going Conti, ladies! Photos! Photos!

I've been a bit busy and haven't even started my contribution to this challenge... :blush:

jberry16
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
im working on too many things that need to be done by sept.1

Calabaza
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm in!!! I have wanted to learn how to knit conti. :)

VickiIL
08-08-2006, 09:01 AM
:cheering: I did it! Yep, I am done with my "knit the other way" project! I didn't want to just do a swatch so I did the monthly dishcloth KAL continental style! I am so excited that I finished it! I knew I wanted to do a pattern that needed both knits and purls and this worked great. It was the lighthouse dishcloth. In the beginning my stitches were very loose and akward. By the end of the cloth the movements didn't feel as akward anymore and my stitches were tightening up a bit (although they were still slightly uneven.) I will try to post a picture later today. But I think that I am going to do all my dishcloths conti until it gets as comfy as English.

knitaddict
08-08-2006, 11:43 AM
I haven't had a chance to do this yet. :( My dh is on the way home from his deployment and I *have* to finish the golf club covers that I promised him I'd be finished with before starting anything new. :oops: And I started a lot of new stuff while he was deployed. I am on the last one and, if ds will let me work uninterrupted, I can be done with it after ds's quiet time today.

Then I'm IN!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Good job Vicki!

Don't worry, KA, you still have 2/3rds of August left to finish! Glad DH is on the way home, though, that's the BEST news :heart:

Angelia
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Yay Vicki!!! I can't wait to see!! :woot:

And that is great news about your DH, KA!! :heart: :heart:

And for all of you that haven't started yet, well, there's still time! And don't let the end of August be an official deadline--as long as you knit an opposite way swatchie or project, no one cares when!

sherimosher
08-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I have been lurking here for the past 2 weeks, and I have to jump in. I am an English knitter and I am doing the Pinwheel sweater from elann.com in Conti. I wasn't sure if I could do it, because my gauge is so much BIGGER Conti. I am just getting to the purl rounds, and this is where the challenge is going to be for me. Not much practice with this one... so here I go, wish me luck! :X:

Sheri

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-15-2006, 01:06 AM
good luck!!!

I posted this elsewhere, but here is a pic I took of Marce (jamadian) doing her monthly challenge project!

monzogary
08-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Ok, I hope this will qualify for this challenge - I just finished Fetching, and I knit the first one in my usual manner (English), and then I did the second one (ok, about 90% of it - minus the cable and bind off rows!) in a sort of combo/conti style. I didn't really stick to either method, just played around with both. I always did combo purling and just changed up how I wrapped the knit stitches to get a feel for how I wanted to do it. So here you have them, side by side - can you tell which one I did English (which I've been doing for 20 years) and which one I did combo? I must admit that I have tried combo once before, but only for about 2 inches of ribbing.
This was fun!!

Shandeh
08-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Okay, I'm gonna venture a guess.

As for the FIRST picture "which is which?", I'm thinking the one on the LEFT is the one made with your 20 years experience of English.

And I think they got switched in the second picture.

I'm probably precisely WRONG, though. (which is usually my luck!) :roll:

jamadian75
08-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow monzogary!! Your fetching are gorgeous, and I can't tell the difference! What fun to make us guess though! :teehee:

Thanks Hilde for posting my scarf shot, here is a close up of the progress. My right hand has not been used for any of this scarf since the original CO row, and I'm loving it! I know have converted 100% to Conti for purling. I :heart: it.

The pattern is K3, P3 one row, then K1, P1 the other row. Forced me to get used to both stitches continuously. Ribbing with Conti just soars! :cheering:

rebecca
08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Everyone's stuff is great :muah:
Okay, I admit...I forgot about it :pout: So, I have a few days and I want to practice some combination knitting...like my knitting hero, Annie Modesitt. I have the Swirl that I got from KnitPicks that I have to knit up and abuse...I think I may try to knit something for Sally...I only have one skein, but she's a little pup, perhaps I can make a short sweater....I'll cast on for it tonite or tomorrow!

rebecca
08-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Okay, I decided to give combination knitting a try and I'm loving it...but, I had said i was going to see if I could whip something up for Sally while using this method.....WELL :wall: :wall: :wall: and then :doh: I was knitting the collar in the round, right?! And I'm using 2x2 rib...in the combination method which is why I was :wall: :wall: And all of a sudden :figureditout: as I realize you can't do the combination method as stated while doing ribbing in the round because the way that you purl the purl sts is seating the knit sts in the direction needed for combinations knitting!!! In other words...you have to knit back and forth, not in the round (well, you can, but then you have to k and p tbl and that defeats the purpose of why I'm doing this!). Anyway after I had the :doh: revelation I have decided that I will have to place a button or do seaming or some such nonsense :hair:

jamadian75
08-28-2006, 11:34 PM
EEP!

So much for the "knitting is just pulling loops through other loops" eh Becca??!

So sorry you're struggling, but I know you'll press on!

rebecca
08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I finally got the combination knitting deal figured out..I think :wink: I was twisting sts like nobody's business! I couldn't figure out how this was going to work! Well, I watched ms Annie Modesitt when she was knitting on Knitty Gritty...and she only used combi method after she has purled. So, when knitting garter st or in the round..it's regular throwing or conti knitting...took me a while to figure that one out...LOL :roflhard: :rofl:
So, with combination knitting and watching Miss Annie on Knitty Gritty doing that lovely combo corset t I decided to knit a version of this corset for my Sally...I have one skein, so we will see how this goes :wink:

losnana
08-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Someehow I missed the beginning of this challenge, but since I've been wanting to practice Continental again I'm jumping in, even though it's the last day of the month. I hope it's not to late. Wwhen I first took knitting up again after a thirty year hiatus the first project I did was a Fair Isle sweater (obviously in a class). That's where I learned Continental and I loved it. At least the knitting part. Always had a problem with the purling, so I'm going to do a swatch, or probably a dishcloth with a lot of purling. :teehee:

rebecca
08-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Good luck with your conti knitting! I think it's just fine that you jumped in on the last day, the important thing is that you jumped in, right?!
LOL, I forgot about it, too...I just jumped in a few days ago and there's no way I'm gonna be done by the end of the month :doh:

jamadian75
08-31-2006, 10:39 AM
losnana and Becca I just want to encourage you :heart: :heart:
I hadn't knit Conti for any length of time before this challenge and now I'm totally HOOKED on it.

I'm well into a scarf and baby bib (from the Mason-Dixon book) which I"m doing with 100% lefty knitting.

Take my word for it, the purling gets easier and easier the more you do it, and I'm finding it so much faster and so much less strain on my back! I'm a righty and I have previous back injuries on the right side, so my shoulders/back appreciate the relief.

May I also suggest you watch Amy's video on purling Conti - I had a total revelation the 3rd time I watched it :teehee:

Thanks Angelia for being this month's leader! :muah: I'm so thrilled to have a new knitting skill!! :cheering:

Hildeeeeeeeeeeee - I can't wait to see what you come up with for September!!

Um - also...just want to say that I have now seen Hilde purl IRL - :shock: It's freakishly fast.

rebecca
08-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks so much for your encouragement! I've been knitting continental style for a year now, previous to that I had knit english for a year. I'm now trying my hand at combination knitting (http://www.anniemodesitt.com/), which I may continue to use with knitting flat, but I don't see it being a permanent change, I love my conti knitting too much for a 100% change!!! It's just good to know how to knit all these ways in case of injury...you know, the "UhOh, I've been knitting like this for so long I'm sore!"...then you can switch to a different way of knitting :wink:
jamadian, I bet you are so gonna love that you switched to conti knitting, it is just easier to me, less motion, etc than throwing...I love it :heart:

jamadian75
08-31-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm now trying my hand at combination knitting (http://www.anniemodesitt.com/), which I may continue to use with knitting flat, but I don't see it being a permanent change, I love my conti knitting too much for a 100% change!!! It's just good to know how to knit all these ways in case of injury...you know, the "UhOh, I've been knitting like this for so long I'm sore!"...then you can switch to a different way of knitting :wink:
jamadian, I bet you are so gonna love that you switched to conti knitting, it is just easier to me, less motion, etc than throwing...I love it :heart:

Combination knitting :?? Something ELSE to learn!! :happydance:

rebecca
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, there are all sorts of things to learn in knitting...I don't think I will ever learn everything!!!

rebecca
08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Well....I'm afraid that Sally's corset t is currently in the :frog: pond.
Having not yet knit for my pup I wasn't sure how the neck should be shaped on the corset t, etc. Then, when I increased I didn't like the look. That said, I had sat down and said, I'm going to finish this today so I can be done before the end of the month....but, as I looked at it, I just wasn't happy with the look, so... :frog: I did, which is not a problem at all. I will simply cast on again in a moment and not worry with increases and decreases, rather compensate for the neck with whatever closure I decide upon.

Now, after all of the digging into the twisted sts and frogging over and over cause I was messingup on the combo knitting I am pleased to say that Swish is holding up nicely :cheering:

EDIT....Well, I cast on for Sally's T and have been knitting away quite happily...LOL, then I realized I wasn't knitting in the combination style that I had planned to use for the Corset T...oops! So, the former T, the one that was frogged is gonna have to be my combo knitting...I'm far too happy knitting cont style to switch back...sorry! It was fun, but I am so much more comfortable and faster knitting in the conti style that I'm just not changing now!