PDA

View Full Version : Have the yarn now I need a tank pattern

hillerkim
08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi all!

Wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction.

I just recieved 10 skeins of Knit Picks Vacation and want to make a tank for myself. This is first REAL clothing project for myself so I want to do it right.

I'm not a beginner knitter (that sounded weird) but I'm not super advanced either. Plus I just can't figure out how to see if the patterns will work with the yarn without too much problem. The yarn show 3 - 3.5 stitches per inch. Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a tank that isn't super skimpy but don't want it too "old lady'ish" ;)

I hope that isn't too tall of an order. I know I'm sort of asking a lot here but everyone on this site is always super helpful so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks a ton!

hillerkim
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Never mind. I think I found one that will work.

Thanks.

Kim

gardenmommy
08-03-2006, 04:45 PM
And....? Which pattern is it? ;)

hillerkim
08-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi. It's this one:

http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Artyarns_Free-Lacy_Silk_Tank_Top_Free-1981.html

Thanks for asking. Now, I just have to get my gumption up and get it done. :D

First I have a bag to do for a friends sister. Priorities, priorites. Really should look at my laundry too. ;)

Have a good night!

candicane
08-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't know if KP Vacation will work with that pattern. Vacation is a bulky weight and I *think* the Art Yarns Silk Rhapsody is a worsted weight. It might make too stiff of a fabric and not have the same drape as in the photo.

Candice

hillerkim
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Ahhh, well that's a bummer. :(

I was looking for a tank pattern that was fairly simple with a little bit of "something" to dress it up a bit. I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board unless anyone has suggestions.

Now I'm kinda sorry I bought the yarn because I'm not sure what to do with it now.

Thanks for the tip Candice.

gardenmommy
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
http://thriftyknitter.com/?p=9

How about this one? I think it takes a bulkier yarn to begin with, so using Vacation shouldn't be too difficult.

Amber
08-04-2006, 10:13 AM
There is a free pattern for that yarn at Knit Picks:

http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50360220&yarnid=5420116#

hillerkim
08-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks Kristen & Amber. I actually saw both of those patterns too.

I think I'm just being picky. Maybe I should be looking at something simpler to show off the yarn.

Amber
08-04-2006, 11:55 AM
There are a ton of free patterns here: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/womens_camisoles_sleeveless_tops.php

hillerkim
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Yep, that one is marked in the favorites. It's just so hard to pick one that is going to work with the yarn I have.

Sigh....... I think I'm too PICKY! ;)

noejusti
08-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi,
I bought a book at Michaels and made several tanks and halter tops from it. It has patterns (that are mainly done on circular needles, by the way) that are for bulkier yarns. The book mainly shows Lion Brand yarns, but they are the bulkier varieties of the Lion Brand yarns. They are pretty simple patterns, but pretty cool. I posted photos of several of the ones I made from the book on the Whatcha Knittin' section of this site, if you want to see some of them. Please keep in mind, I made some of the halter styles. The book also has a basic tank top and variations, too. The book is by Leisure Arts and is called Trendy Knit Tops (designed by Joyce M. Wang). Maybe it could help you use the yarn you like in a pattern you are looking for. Good luck.

hillerkim
08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks noejusti for the suggestions. I'll have to see if I can track down some of your examples and the book.

I appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-08-2006, 10:34 PM
You can always design it yourself!!

hillerkim
08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
noejusti gorgeous work. I found your post with all your tops. Very nice.

Hildegard, I know I could make something up but I haven't done anything on the clothing end for myself before so I'm not sure where I'd start. I figured I could start out simple until I got the hang of it. It's safe to say I'm a chicken.

I'm a bit of a prude and tend to stick to the conservative side of things. I only share my flabulous areas with the mirror not the general public. :-)

I keep procrastinating like this I can start looking at sweater patterns. :doh:

But in any case, thanks for the help & ideas guys!

Kim