PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for afghan yarn and pattern

jamiejeans
08-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,

someone at work asked if I would knit her daughter a afghan/throw in lavender. Does anyone have any suggestions for yarn that is reasonably priced, durable, and not wool?

Anyone have any ideas for a nice stitch pattern? I'm thinking of something with lots of texture... but not sure what to do.

DreamWeaver
08-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure about the yarn...Maybe some nice cotton? :thinking: for a stich pattern... I really like bascet weave stich..
Cast on a multiple of nine stiches.
sl 1, knit 2, purl three, knit three
sl 1, purl 2, knit three, purl two, knit 1
sl1, knit 2, purl 3, knit 3

and reapeat those three rows. You probably already know how to do that, I just felt like posting :happydance:

brendajos
08-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I am going to ask a question that is completely none of my business but is this coworker a good friend or are they paying for the throw? As much as i love gifting afghans and love the afghan my grandmother knitted i hate knitting them because they are ever so boring. I would have to be gifting it to someone who is a VERY good friend or be getting paid a lot of money to knit one for them. So to my real point....If this coworker is paying, you might want to find out how much they are willing to pay for the work before deciding on a yarn because that could make a huge difference in what you can buy with it and still make it worth your while

;)

jamiejeans
08-07-2006, 08:40 AM
If this coworker is paying, you might want to find out how much they are willing to pay for the work before deciding on a yarn because that could make a huge difference in what you can buy with it and still make it worth your while

;)

She offered to pay me $100. I am not sure what yarn I am going to use or how much it will cost just for that. I told her that before I agreed to $100 that I first have to see the cost of materials.

suzeeq
08-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Someone mentioned on another group that when pricing handmade knitted items, you should charge cost of materials times 3 (or 4) plus 10%. Just a starting point for you....

sue

AidanM
08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Because I refuse to knit for money unless I'm being paid an adequate wage, I always figure the price of anything by calculating how much time it took and then multiplying that by my state's minimum wage plus the cost of materials.

As a result, I don't knit for money - I only knit for love. Because nobody's willing to pay me 100 dollars for a pair of socks! :rofling:

08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
As much as i love gifting afghans... i hate knitting them because they are ever so boring.

You're preaching to the choir!! I'm making my mom one for a christmas gift and I'm about ready to poke my eyes out with my needles!!! I even put it down for 2 days it was so bad. Now I'm just doing 10 rows a day. And that seems to help it go quick and I don't lose my mind in the process!! :rofling: :rofling:

brendajos
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
i don't know if we have been terribly helpful in picking out a yarn...lol

my question is whether if the "no wool" thing is an allergy issue or a washability issue. because if it is washability there are several superwash wool alternatives that are great choices. Plymouth Encore is one and the new Swish yarn at Knitpicks looks like a great choice with good colors and we have been told it is super soft.

If it is an allergy thing then i would head to michael's or hobby lobby and see what they have in acrylics that you like. there are some very expensive choices that have a nice feel to them.

jamiejeans
08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
The wool thing is an allergy for someone in their house. I went ahead and ordered some Caron Simply Soft in a light purple shade. I never used it before, but have felt it in stores and seems soft. 10 skeins cost about 32 bucks on joann's... so I'd be happy with the 100 she's offering.

brendajos
08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
i made a baby afghan out of it. i am not a fan of acrylics but it knit up very nice and soft so it is a good choice! :thumbsup:

jamiejeans
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
oh,. good! glad to hear that....