PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting knitting club

LisaLW
08-07-2006, 01:42 AM
In about three weeks I'll be hosting a knitting club for some of the moms and daughters in our homeschool group. I'm a fairly proficient knitter and think I can explain the basics. I'd appreciate any advice you knitters have for me on teaching more than one person at once, good advice to pass on to beginners, etc. I'm suggesting they bring worsted weight yarn and size 8-10 needles.

We'll have about 2 hours or so, and I'm hoping to cover casting on and the knit stitch, for sure. Our next official meeting won't be until the first week of October, but I'm planning on being available for help at our weekly Park Day.

I guess I'm just a little nervous about this whole thing since I probably won't know any of the moms and want everything to go well.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

:XX:

Celine
08-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Sounds like a wonderful club!! :cheering: I know that I probably would have had to sit right by YOU to see what you were doing when it comes to casting on. So be prepared to walk all over the room and maybe have to show them more on a "one on one" basis of what you are doing. Some may be there for a "refresher" course too and that would help you out.

I'm sure you'll do a great job. :happydance: Keep us posted as to how it goes. Good luck! :XX:

Liliyarn
08-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Try to recommend *smooth* yarn, like LB wool ease. Light colored yarn is usually easier to see stitches. No novelty, furry, fluffy yarn or anything like LB homespun. Got a project in mind for everyone? Make plenty of copies of the pattern.

Definitely be ready to walk around and have a list of other resources for help, like this forum =-)

And the most important, don't forget the snacks ;-) Have fun, that's the main thing.

Tell us all about it.

projectgal
08-07-2006, 09:10 AM
The lady at our LYS suggested children make a scarf for a doll or stuffed animal for their first project. Or mayber if everyone made a swatch, you could sew them together as a quilt (probably a crazy quilt with so many new knitters!)

As for the instruction, could you possibly find a projector/tv that you could play Amy's videos? The camera angle is great for teaching. Or maybe you could sit in the middle and the students could look over your shoulder?

After a few people "get" it, break off into smaller groups with the person who has mastered the technique showing the others in the small group.

Sounds like fun! Keep us updated on how it goes!

brendajos
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
you might want to give them suggestions of brands of yarns to look for. So few labels actually say "worsted weight" on them and i still can not remember what gauge typically equals worsted.

And don't forget some of those people will likely be left handed!! :thumbsup:

AidanM
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
you might want to give them suggestions of brands of yarns to look for. So few labels actually say "worsted weight" on them and i still can not remember what gauge typically equals worsted.

And don't forget some of those people will likely be left handed!! :thumbsup:
Don't worry too much about left-handed knitters - We can knit just like the rest of ya'll if we try. :P Left-handed knitting is more of a disadvantage than the initial comfort it may provide. Knitting is a two-handed activity, just remember that. Left-handed knitters sometimes feel more comfortable with Continental knitting.

brendajos
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
lol i am a left handed knitter. That was why i brought it up. I learned with less trouble than i expected but i am also quite ambidextrous so as long as she sat sort of in front of me with her back turned i had no trouble mimicking the movements.

others take a bit longer it seems...just varies with the individual as with anything! ;)

raederle
08-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I've heard of people just having stitches cast on for them, then learning knit stitch, then going back and learning how to cast on. Realistically, you cast on once or twice per project, but knit the entire thing. It's your call, and not to muddy the waters, but for a group such as this, you might want to teach a really easy method of cast on (thumb method?) and quickly move on to knit stitch. If they have trouble casting on, do it for them, and get them into the knitting lesson.

Also, the cute poem about Jack jumping is a neat way to teach the knit stitch.

You might want to have the project be a doll/bear scarf, as someone mentioned, but if you bring safety pins, it could also be an interesting wrist cufflet. Or you could go wild and teach those interested how to sew a seam with knitted fabric.

Hope this helps.

emily

feministmama
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
In the books kids knitting by Melanie Falick she suggests showing kids to do finger knitting first to helpthemget the feel for knitting. THen showing them on big needles. It may work for adults too. I always just use big needles and light yarn (like red hart) and go veeeeeeeerrrrryyyyyy slooooooooowwww. Then have them do it and then I just go back and forth between folks and help as needed. There's always one who just can't get it at first. With those folks I use a crochet hook for the right hand needle to show them technically what the right hand needle is doing. I like the idea of showing Amy's videos too. If they all have internet access that would be great for them to go home afterwards and see Amy do it too. Good luck!!! :cheering:

knitncook
08-07-2006, 07:39 PM
I've taught this a couple times to our homeschool group. I can't tell you how important it is to specify the brand and style of yarns that are easiest to work with. Surprisingly, I have found the LB INcredible (ribbon), and the LB Suede to work really well for smaller hands. You can actually see your stitches very well with these two yarns. I was dubious at first. Now I recommend it because it is so yummy and comes in pretty colors. The ribbon yarn is more decco looking but the kids like the rainbow colors. I teach both on anywhere from 11 to 15 needles. I tell the moms that if they have more than one child learning or if they want to learn at the same time to go ahead and get two different sized needles. That way they already are increasing the stash :) It's helpful to have the moms learn at the same time as the kids. That way they can help each other out when they get home. It's also good to teach them the little knitting rhyme "In through the front door, run around back, out the window, off jumps jack" I'm sure there are others, but just something to help them get into a rhythm and remember the steps in order.

Good luck and have fun. I think we have about 5 knittin' kids in our homeschool group now.

LisaLW
08-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow, I had almost forgotten I had posted this question, and when I signed on, I was amazed at all the creative responses.

I've been dreaming about this whole knitting club thing, so I guess that means I'm excited about it! I'm thinking there will probably be more moms than girls in attendance. I've made a cute flyer with directions to my house and telling them to bring needles (size 8, 9, or 10) and worsted weight yarn. I imagine most people will head off to a craft store like Michael's, which is certain to carry Lion Brand, so maybe I'll recommend those LB yarns that were suggested.

I'll be sure and let you know how things turn out. Our first meeting is on September 4.

Holly
08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
don't forget the purling poem! "under the fence, catch the sheep, back we go, off we leap." I just taught my Mom to knit during our vacation, and I constantly said the poems as I was showing the stitches, and she said it really helped a lot. (OK, at first she rolled her eyes, but later she appreciated the poems!!)

I had my Mom pick up the "I taught myself to knit" kit ($10 - $15 at Walmart, Michaels, etc...) as well as some red heart yarn, The kit comes with some gadgets, 2 sets of needles and a book -- a really nice starter kit that doesn't cost much. (They have a crochet kit also.) The book is nothing great, but is something to refer to (if Amy's videos aren't available, of course!!) after your initial class.

As for the cast on, my Mom had trouble getting the long tail method so I just cast on for her and let her get started with the knit stitch. We then went back to the cast on a few days later, and I found the thumb method to be much easier for her to understand. Once she got that down, she seemed to quickly get the long tail method.

Have fun!