PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and knitting

yarnfreak
08-09-2006, 11:24 PM
The two really don't seem to mix. My lovely 2 yr old daughter 3 times took my dpns out of the sock I'm working on. :wall: Three times I managed to get everything back on the needles without loosing any stitches - thank goodness! It wouldn't really be so bad, except she then used the needle to stir my coffee :doh: Now my needles are all sticky. But the sock is all good! lol

SandraEllen
08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
:teehee: maybe you should kid proof everything by putting less sugar in your coffee from now on. :wink:

jberry16
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
I feel your pain! my 2 year old takes my yarn and unravels my knitting to wrap it around the baby (almost 5 months)...kids geeze. And today he took one of my dpn and pretended he had long hair and was using it as hair stix-I just shook my head.

yarnfreak
08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Less sugar? NOOOOOOO! If nothing else, I'm learning to put stitches back on the needle and to pick up stitches. At least she didn't unravel this time.

foldedbird
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
You could always let the little one pick out a ball of his or her very own yarn, and give him/her some chunky needles to play with while you two "knit" together. I did that with my youngest one, and it seemed to work OK.

My middle one is 5 and she's knitting for real now, it's so cute. I ought to post a picture.

yarnfreak
08-10-2006, 12:56 AM
I thought about that, until she tried to poke the 11 month old in the face with a needle. She's not yet ready.

foldedbird
08-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Oh, well darn it! Hmm... maybe she can knit with popsicle sticks? hehe.

yarnfreak
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm sure that there is something she could use. I never thought of popsicle sticks. Hmmm

cozy
08-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't know how, but my 19 month-old has seemed to get the drift that my knitting stuff is hands-off. But not to tempt things, I put my baskets out of his reach when I'm not knitting.

yarnfreak
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
The higher I put it up, the higher she climbs. LOL I did give her a small hunk of cheap yarn and a set of plastic chop sticks today. She LOVED it. Granted, all she does is poke at the yarn, but she left my stuff alone!

foldedbird
08-10-2006, 11:58 PM
TOTALLY awesome, yarnfreak! I'm glad she had a good time with it. I do hope you'll post a picture of her "knitting".
Funny story about kids and knitting: I've been telling everyone today that at last, my 5 year old can tie her shoes, bows, and ribbons all on her own, and we're so VERY proud. Then, it suddenly dawned on me...I taught her to knit nearly 8 months or so before I taught ther to TIE HER SHOES! :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: Talk about your priorities...sheesh!

yarnfreak
08-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I've been telling everyone today that at last, my 5 year old can tie her shoes, bows, and ribbons all on her own, and we're so VERY proud. Then, it suddenly dawned on me...I taught her to knit nearly 8 months or so before I taught ther to TIE HER SHOES! :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: Talk about your priorities...sheesh!

That's why they have velcro on shoes, right? So you can teach them something useful? LOL

foldedbird
08-11-2006, 12:38 AM
:shrug: I guess! It really just didn't dawn on me, she's been wearing sandals for about a year straight. Her very most favorite pair, ya know? Heck, if nothing else, she can knit herself some velcroe shoes, lolol

yarnfreak
08-11-2006, 03:20 AM
A picture of my daughter with her "knitting" (hopefully I added the picture correctly! Oh, and pay no mind to the rip in the chair. lol)

foldedbird
08-11-2006, 07:04 AM
AWWWW! :muah: :yay: :star: :yay: Gold stars and applause for our newest knitter!
:star: :yay: :star:

KristiMetz
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Toddlers are really good for learning how to fix "mistakes" like dropped stitches, rows being unravelled partially... etc.

sigh... Ihave been there! :) I did give him his own needles and yarn and he loves to knit. He tells me what he's making... sometimes it's a scarf, sometims a hat... LOL! :) :heart:

yarnfreak
08-11-2006, 02:01 PM
She just thought it was the neatest thing to have her own supplies. She even watched while I showed her knit stitch. Didn't get it, but I figure over time it might sink in. lol

MAmaDawn
08-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Yarnfreak,

It will! I did the same thing and my daughter loved it. She's 4 now and can knit if I'm right there with her to help, but she does most of it. :cheering: :yay:

My 1 year old is trying to figure out how to get my bag open. Maybe I should get a pad lock for it! :?? :P

Get them started young! xxx