PDA

View Full Version : your very first project?

letah75
08-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm just curious to know, what was your very first knitting project and did you keep a picture of it?

I made a blanket (fits a full sized bed). It was all garter stitch. I made 3 pannels of alternating colored squares and sewed the pannels together. The pannels were 1/3 the width of a full sized bed, and 5 feet long. I then crocheted a thin border. It was made with Homespun yarn.

I gave it to my boyfriend for his birthday, and it has since become the favorite blanket in their family. Apparently, his two sisters are constantly going into his room and stealing it so they can cuddle with it while watching t.v.

I didn't keep a pic of it, but I see it everytime I go to his house. I know it's getting good use, because the three of them fight over it, and it is always in a different place when I go over there.

yarnfreak
08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I started with dishcloths. Figured that it was a small project that could use so many different techniques. Quickly moved on to socks, though. That's about it, though. I haven't even been knitting for two months, so I think it's a good start.

brendajos
08-11-2006, 03:51 PM
okay i shudder at the thought of doing a blanket sized afghan. then you did it all in garter stitch which probably would have had me trying to commit hari kiri. and THEN it was all in homespun? you are my new hero!

how great though that you get to see it being well loved! the fact that it is always somewhere new is wonderful...that definitely means it is getting used.

my first project was a ridiculously expensive scarf. i had no idea what i was grabbing when i picked my yarn!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/scarves002.jpg

Jax3303
08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
the first project I started was a garter stitch scarf for my niece. the first project I finished was as baby sweater for another niece that had just been born.

Amber
08-11-2006, 03:56 PM
My first project was a very, very simple hat for my ds, made by knitting two squares and sewing them together! I got the pattern from Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick.

Renoah
08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
My first project was slippers, knit flat and seamed up after. They were basically giant envelopes for feet- in RHSS. They were also knit without a pattern- my grandma just kind of made it up and told me what to do; I think this is a contributing source to be deeply-rooted aversion to the use of patterns. ;)

letah75
08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/scarves002.jpg

My god I love those colors, that is beautiful!!!

brendajos
08-11-2006, 04:19 PM
meh...i think the lighting made them look a little brighter than they really were. it was called Strawberry Fields but i have no recollection of the brand. i liked it a lot when i bought it and planned it for my winter coat but as i usually do....i gave it away! ;)

ummm yeah that yarn was something like $20-30

NakedPancakes
08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I made a pathetic attempt at a scarf.

I ended up unwravling it, and my mom used the yarn to make a doggy sweater.

brendajos
08-11-2006, 04:23 PM
meh...i think the lighting made them look a little brighter than they really were. it was called Strawberry Fields but i have no recollection of the brand. i liked it a lot when i bought it and planned it for my winter coat but as i usually do....i gave it away! ;)

mrs desert rain
08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
i made a very simple scarf -- but i screwed up A LOT. i CO, say, 20, and ended up with 35, or something completely wrong like that. so, obviously i was increasing here and there. the finished product included one loose-knit 3-inch end and a super-tight knit, mangled looking fat end. a complete failure! but i gave it to my kitty, and he loved to play with it (read: attack). it's long gone now... what i would give for a picture!!!

jamiejeans
08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Fun fur scarf. Actually, I learned to knit just before christmas, so I ended up making about 6 fun fur scarves in a weeks.

I will never knit with fun fur again. Ever.

Rene'
08-11-2006, 04:51 PM
I just started knitting about 3 weeks ago, this was my first project, from the Weekend Knitting book:

http://www.kernow-webhosting.com/%7Ebvc/rene/pics/fingerlessgloves.jpg

Our winters in Houston are very mild, sadly, so I hope to get more use out of these than I would gloves.

knit-errant
08-11-2006, 05:22 PM
When I learned to crochet and knit, I made little half swatches of different stitches -- knit, purl, sc, dc, tr, whatever -- until I was bored and tried something else. I only managed about 4 or 5 rows before I would move onto something else, so they weren't even big enough to be dishcloths.

My first, actual-real crochet project was a baby blanket I made about 10 years ago. I used two strands of baby yarn, one variegated and one solid, and a great big plastic hook. I messed up a lot, and ripped back almost as much. It was nice because on that drive from Des Moines to Kansas City it gave me something else to think about besides not peeing in the car between rest stops.

http://static.flickr.com/40/98543673_d3d0a96c02_m.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/leigh_m/98543673/in/set-72057594077663833)

My first knitting project was a holiday-ish garter stitch scarf for my MIL, made around last Xmas. It was one strand of Caron Simply Soft and one strand of some sort of fun fur/tinsel-type yarn.

http://static.flickr.com/42/86868723_85faf36265_m.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/leigh_m/86868723/in/set-72057594077663833)

cecile77
08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
My first project...I was 8 y/o and all I knew how to do was the garter stitch. I kept going until I ran out of yarn and then I switched to another color. I decided to make it into a belt and give it to my mother. She was good enough not to throw it away (not right away, anyway) but at the time I really expected her to wear it. :? After that I only made sweaters.

mks22300
08-11-2006, 06:36 PM
My first project was a hat I made for my mom, it was too big but she said she didn't mind! :teehee:

Kirochka
08-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Amy took this picture of me and my first-ever project in January - I basically just took a skein of acrylic yarn and knit the ENTIRE THING into a (very very long!) narrow scarf! It took months, and all the knit stitches were twisted (long story, but basically I tried to teach myself to knit from a couple of books out of the library before I discovered KH and obviously did something very wrong...), plus I kept changing what I was doing (garter, stockinette... roll roll roll... back to garter again). But here it is, anyway! :blush: (P.S. I finished this in 2005 some time, had bad thumb pain, stopped, then started again and only really began knitting in January 2006...)

DreamWeaver
08-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I did a lot of swatches at first, but I do belive my first real progect was a light pink garder stich scarf. It was very short, with a lot of dropped stiches and mistake yarn overs. I still have it though. It's in my FO basket (with contains a red moss stich scarf, a fair isle swatch, a cable swatch, and the first pice of fabric I ever knit. I give away almost EVERYTHING I knit.

Ingrid
08-11-2006, 11:10 PM
My first project was a 5-stitch garter bookmark. Then I made garter stitch Barbie skirts. I was 9. :teehee:

SabrinaJL
08-12-2006, 01:21 AM
I made a scarf for my mom when I was in the 7th grade. So that was about 17 years ago. Yikes.

EssenceRose
08-12-2006, 04:29 AM
My first ever project was years ago. I tried to teach myself and I made a plain blue "scarf". However, I had no idea about the different types of "stitch patterns" one could make. I'd knit a few rows, then purl a few rows, then knit a row... LOL After it started curling up and I had no idea why, I bound it off and gave it is now used as a scarf for a baby doll. :rofling: I'll have to get a photo of it tomorrow to show everyone. Hehe

melinphx
08-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I knitted a pair of mittens in 1985. I was very proud of them, and at the same time couldn't wear them... I guess I didn't know anything about controlling tension, since they looked liked they were made in 2 distinctly different sizes! I could've worn either size comfortably, but not both at the same time in public! They were knitted from a pale green acrylic yarn (probably from KMart), and I don't know what ever became of them. I don't remember tossing them, and I know I didn't frog them... I may actually find them stashed away in one of my boxes of stuff some day. If I do, there will definitely be a picture posted here.

-Melanie

mamabeth
08-12-2006, 11:25 PM
I've officially begun my first project. I'm about 1/4 of the way through a washcloth. My kids have asked me to make them scarves for this winter already (been knitting like two weeks!)

CateKnits
08-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I started a blob in some kind of green acrylic first, to learn t cast on and do the knit stitch. I abandoned it for "covered bridge red" Homespun and make a garter stitch scarf, which I still love (I've got a soft spot for it! and it's cute as an accessory since it's narrow, which was its intended purpose). I've since gone against Homespun.

rebecca
08-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm sorry to say that I wasn't taking pictures of my knitting when I first began to knit (2 years ago) so I have no photo. Like many others, my 1st project was the ever popular garter st. scarf!

knotmaker
08-13-2006, 07:20 PM
My first project (last year) was a grater stitch scarf for my dd ... I used a worsted weight cotton. Followed closly by a hat to match the scarf. :cheering:

Lieke
08-14-2006, 04:16 AM
My first project was a scarf in garterstitch. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it and I don't have it anymore, so I can't make one. It was made of cotton and nice and warm and really long.

Boogs
08-14-2006, 08:32 AM
My first project was a hat, knit flat, from a kiddies teach you how to knit book.

After that came a pair of mittens for my youngest, (pattern from the Lion Brand site - done in homespun) then socks and three cabled bags.

I also squeezed in a few toddler-sized sweaters too, in-between those, though I am the world's worst finisher - a major procrastinator!! :oops:

I've never knitted a scarf though I did crochet a pretty skinny one which I :heart:.

JamOKnit
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
My first project was a ribbed scarf that I made last year with some practice yarn I bought to teach myself to knit....

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/603/1926/200/DSC00582.0.jpg

DotMom61
08-17-2006, 10:19 AM
What a fun thread. ;-)

I learned to knit about 1-1/2 years ago when I picked up Melanie Falick's Kids Knitting to teach my *kids* to knit. It's probably no surprise to anyone that I'm the one who got hooked, and the kids lost interest. :lol:

As embarrasssing as they are, here are my first two projects:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/dotmom/Knitting%20FOs/2924b220dca034456fc32010.jpg

Debbyd
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
My first project that I finished was a pair of preemie booties. I started on a baby blanket. It is all done with knit stitch because I didn't know how to do the purl stitch.

letah75
08-17-2006, 11:04 AM
What a fun thread. ;-)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/dotmom/Knitting%20FOs/2924b220dca034456fc32010.jpg

Oh, I LOVE that bear. I think that is an increadably (forgive the spelling) brave first project.

DotMom61
08-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Oh I had knit lots of squares to play first, and let me add that it's not as complicated as it might seem. All garter stitch -- two sides -- sew 'em together. Piece of cake. :thumbsup:

Kirochka
08-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Sewing!!! :shock: :shock:

(I can just barely sew buttons back on when they fall off things. That's the sum total of my sewing ability.)

Fudgie
08-17-2006, 02:30 PM
My first project was a bag for my knitting!

knitaddict
08-17-2006, 06:09 PM
My first project was supposed to be a knit chenelle (sp) scarf from the Teach Yourself to Knit book that I had. I got about 30 rows into it and got bored, so I bought yarn to make ds a basketweave afghan from the same booklet. When I was about 1/2-way through with that I got bored again (notice a trend :roflhard: ) so I started a lace afghan for our newborn neice. When it was completed I finished ds's afghan and then ripped out the scarf.

Sara
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
This was my first project, knit in Microspun. Nevernevernevernever again:

losnana
08-17-2006, 07:22 PM
:woot:

losnana
08-17-2006, 07:28 PM
My first project in the 11th grade was a pair of slippers, followed by a cable cardigan the color of lime sherbert. when I went off to college ai took it with me-still unfinished and eventually threw it away-still unfinished. NO more knitting until my daughter became pregnant. I then took a class based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's cardigan pattern, didn't like the result, and ripped it all out to make an afghan, which I dearly love. From then on I was hooked. But what an addiction! Much better than what I see in court! :happydance:

jdee
08-17-2006, 08:33 PM
This is a fun thread. My first finished project was a garter stitch. I was so proud of it, you'd have thought I was a knitting genious. :roflhard:

SandraEllen
08-18-2006, 09:12 AM
My first project was a scarf and then a hat to match that I gave to my mom.

I don't know why, but i chose a fluffy baby yarn in a light blue color (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82320&PRODID=91229). It was a horrible experience and will never ever make anything from yarn like that again.

I figured my mom had to love it because her DD made it for her. :rofl:

paah-paah
08-19-2006, 10:40 AM
my first knit project was a VERY simple K2; P2 ribbed neck wrap which was an accessory to a crocheted sweater I was making for mom. I do not have a picture but mom has it and I could probably get one the next time I visit her.

CindyH
08-19-2006, 08:18 PM
My first project was a scarf, and they were all I knit for a long while. Mostly just garter and stockinette. This was wayy long ago before this site was up, and I didn't exactly know how to knit well or correctly. I have a very bad memory of a scarf I made that was half baby blue and half hunter green, and in different yarn weights! And the yarn was acrylic, of course. O, and I also didn't know how to attach a new ball of yarn, so I joined the yarn by tying a knot! :thud:

You wouldn't want to see a pic of it, trust me. And good thing I didn't take a pic of it! :teehee:

Friskums
08-19-2006, 10:19 PM
My first project (if you want to call it that) was a little heart from the same book as the "kerchief". (gave to my boss at work)
http://kat.kungphu.com/images/heart.jpg
My first wearable project was a "kerchief" from the Stitch n Bitch book (gave to a friend at work)

http://kat.kungphu.com/images/kerchief_side.jpghttp://kat.kungphu.com/images/teehee.jpg

And just cuz it's too cute not to post, my first knitty kitty. :heart: (On my computer at work)
http://kat.kungphu.com/images/kitty_angle.jpg

miccisue
08-20-2006, 08:37 AM

Just wondered what the quote at the bottom was pertaining to? :??

itscryttle
08-20-2006, 10:11 PM
My learning piece was just a square that I sewed into a bunny. Its hidious and I don't have a photo :teehee:

my first knit project was a hat I made for my daughter. I learned to knit and purl on this one. It amazingly fit her and only has a few mistakes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/itscryttle/Knit%20projects/tn_DSCF1361.jpg

dustinac
08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
the never ending baby blanket :rofl: it had so many holes in it wasn't funny but dh said to leave them which for me was so hard to do... I covered them up with knitted flowers and butterflies.. its crooked and everything else but i Have it in her memory box :rofl:

stitchywitch
08-22-2006, 01:58 AM
My first was the ribbed scarf from SNB. I made it half width, out of a bright turquoise acrylic bulky yarn by Bernat. It's full of places where I lost stitches and then reattatched them incorrectly, but it's all mine and I'm pretty proud of it anyway.

chan58
08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
My first attempt at knitting was many years ago and it was a scarf all in the garter stitch. I never even thought to take a picture of it but I do remember it having lots of mistakes Yikes!! :rofl:

cookworm
08-24-2006, 11:28 AM
My first project was also the ribbed garter scarf from SnB. It was made from merino wool and was kind of pricey (I think like $15 per skein and I used 3 skeins), but I wanted my first project to be something I could be proud of, even if it only was a simple garter scarf. I was skeptical about using anything wool because prior to knitting, my only experiences with wool were that they were scratchy and uncomfortable, but when I saw this wool yarn at my LYS, I had to have it!!! As it turns out, this yarn turned me onto a deep love affair with merino...the yarn itself is SO cushiony and springy, and I loved how the color blended into each other with no knitting talent on my part!!! I think the brand of the yarn was Takhi (I didn't save the label). The scarf turned out fine; I didn't take a picture of it, but I still wear it with pride now, even though I haven't knitted any accessories to go with it (it doesn't match anything else I have, but I loved the colors!).

DragonTush
08-24-2006, 12:11 PM
My first project was a scarf done in garter stitch for my son. I bought a ball of red yarn on a whim and too small needles at Zellers. I came home and googled learn to knit sites and found KH. Then I had to buy bigger needles because the small ones were too small to learn on. I started the scarf a few times because I kept increasing somehow..then I ran out yarn (cheap acrylic yarn..really cheap) and of course they were out of that colour so I made it a half red and half black scarf. WEll..it was 3/4 red and a 1/4 black but who's keeping track LOL.

My son wore it to school and bragged to his kindergarten teachers that I knit it off the internet. He was very proud of it and so was I.

I really need to get a picture of it.

cookworm
08-24-2006, 11:16 PM
My son wore it to school and bragged to his kindergarten teachers that I knit it off the internet. He was very proud of it and so was I.

Bless his little heart!!! :heart: What a cute story, and a little enabler too...with that kind of support, you couldn't help but be inspired to knit more! :wink:

Rorshach
08-25-2006, 12:48 AM
My very first project was Lion Brand's Winter's Night afghan done in Homespun, there's a pic of it on here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to go find it :D Sadly, when I first washed it, it well, unraveled. T.T On the other hand I learned to weave in my ends after that, and everything's been fine since then. will probably do another afghan like it, but I've been moving toward other projects lately.

Chel
08-25-2006, 10:55 AM
My first project was the 7 mile long Bridget Jones scarf.
The instructions (aka a knitting comedy of errors) are at the top of the frog blog below.