PDA

View Full Version : K2 P2 ribbing

susanc
08-12-2006, 09:57 PM
:?? Does anyone know why when I do a K2, P2 rib some of my knit stitches are bigger than others. I try my darndest to keep my tension even, but this always seems to happen. It doesn't look terrible, but I would like all of my stitches to look the same. Does anyone else have this problem? I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks! :-)

janelanespaintbrush
08-12-2006, 10:06 PM
This is apparently a common problem, especially for continental knitters who often knit and purl at different tensions. You might try the combination style of knitting to see if it helps. It sort of surprised me, but when I tried it, it did improve my tension overall, including in ribbing. You can check out Amy's videos if you're interested.

knitqueen
08-12-2006, 10:14 PM
There is also a technique described here http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2004/12/a_bit_of_braggi.html that helped me a lot with my ribbing.

susanc
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Thank you both for your suggestions! Knitqueen-I'm checking out the link you posted. It totally makes sense! Thank you so much for your help. Not having knitted for a long time, I don't know when something is a common problem or not. That's why these sites are such a wonderful thing. People are so nice and helpful - it's GREAT! Does this "wisdom" come with the more knitting you do? I guess I need to also start checking out all of the knitting mags and reading articles, etc.

Thanks again!

sfavereau
08-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I've used the technique from nona's website and I love the results. I used to have problems with the last knit stitch before the purl and this technique eliminates the droop from that stitch for me. Others people in my knit group have tried it and it doesn't help them at all, but it is worth a shot.

amy
08-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Susan emailed me, and I'll post my response here as well, for others...

...First of all, when doing ribbing, I always use two sizes smaller a needle than I would for any stockinette I work. I find that all of my ribbing appears too loose and sloppy otherwise. I recommend this as a habit, to go down two sizes when working k2p2 or such ribbing. This will make the stitches appear more normal and neat generally. The stitch size will look closer to the stitch size of any adjacent stockinette stitch which is worked in the larger needle size. So do that first, if you're not already.

You may still notice that looseness happening on the last stitch, this is something most knitters will face when working cables and often ribbing. There are a few techniques you can try, play around and see which work for you. The following three techniques are demonstrated nicely in Elizabeth Zimmerman & Meg Swansen's "Knitter's Glossary" DVD; and the first 2 can be found on knittinghelp. The idea is the same in all of them, which is to tighten the knitting at the juncture between the last knit and the purl stitch in some manner:

1) Knit the last knit stitch by wrapping the yarn in the reverse manner, which uses less yarn and consequently tightens it relative the the other knitting. When you come to the stitch on the next row, it will be reversed on the needle, so you will knit into the back of the stitch in order to knit it without it ending up twisted. This is essentially working that one stitch as a Combined knitter would work any stitch (see Combined Knitting, under the knit and purl sections at knittinghelp.com). (I just read the suggestion in that blog. It's the same as this, although she does it to the first purl stitch, instead of the last knit stitch. Either way should work!)

2) work the first purl stitch through its back loop, which will twist it and consequently tighten it. In other words, "ptbl"; video of this can be found here: www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/

3) work the last two knit stitches in this manner, to prevent the looseness that commonly is created between them, and transfered into that last knit stitch: work the first one, without removing it from the left needle. Work the second one; then slide them both off the needle together.

Or, of course, if you're a fairly loose knitter, you could just try increasing the tension on that last knit stitch. See if one of those works for you! Good luck!

susanc
08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Thank you Amy! :muah: I will give this technique and try, as well as another technique that sfavereau emailed me about. :muah: to you stephanie as well.

I hope this will prove useful to others who are encountering this little problem; apparently, it is quite common. I am going to make two more baby hats and try both techniques out and see which works best for me.

Thanks again for all the help. This website ROCKS!!!

Sue :muah: :cheering: