PDA

View Full Version : I'm back w/ news...

Cristy
08-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Well, it's been about a month since I posted--and even knitted! Between being pregnant and going back to work as the school year begins--I've been pretty anti-social and tired.

But I'm here w/ good news...some of you remember back when I first got pregnant that I had some issues and was concerned about my pregnancy...well, I'm in my 18th week now (17 weeks 4 days actually) and my doctor's office decided to do an ultrasound yesterday (unplanned or I'd have had the whole family there!) to confirm my due date. The bad new is this baby is already measuring over two weeks further along than I actually am and since I have a history of big babies the doctor said they'd probably monitor me closely and if this one got to the size of the last (almost 10 lbs three weeks early!) then they'd likely induce labor. I'm still deciding how I feel about that one...but MORE IMPORTANTLY--the baby looked great and healthy! :)

And Guess what??!?!?!
It's a boy!!!

during the ultrasound she asked if we wanted to know what it was--we thought she was just asking but she said "Well, it's boy--a very obvious boy!" :)

Anyway--just thought I'd share! :) dh is very happy that we'll have one of each and that the blue bedroom in our house doesn't have to be repainted in order to decorate the nursery! LOL!

Pixywhispers
08-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah! How exciting! <giggle>

Jeep_Girl
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
congratulations!

sara_jayne
08-18-2006, 09:49 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Congratulations!! I'm glad everything has turned out so well!

DotMom61
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Congratulations, Cristy!!! What wonderful news! So, did they decide what your due date was, then?

Cristy
08-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys! Yes, my due date is now January 20th if I'm full-term at 4 weeks. That seems like 10 million years from now!!! I'm betting on mid-January if history repeats itself and my mom is hoping for the 17th since it's her birthday. :)

PurlyGyrl
08-18-2006, 10:23 AM
:hug: Congratulations!

Amber
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
:cheering: That's wonderful news!!

And, speaking of big babies, my best friend just had a VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean) and gave birth to a 10lb. 15oz. baby boy!! :notworthy:

aylaanne
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Congratulations!!!! I'm thrilled that things are going well for you!

FYI, there is very little evidence that shows that inducing labor provides better outcomes. Most of the evidence shows the opposite, that inducing makes you more likely to have a C-section. I'd get the opinion of a midwife before you go in there. And check out your OB's section rate (how many sections he does a year vs how many vaginal births) to see if he's knife-happy.

Not to rain on your parade, I'm so glad you're having a great pregnancy so far!!!! I just get VERY VERY ANXIOUS whenever OBs start talking about creating "controllable situations" which is what they like about inductions and sections. CAPPA (Childbirth and Postpartum Professionals Association) provides certification to labor coaches, doulas, and Childbirth educators with an emphasis on evidence-based practice. These people need to stay abreast of the medical research surrounding birth to maintain their certification. I know, because I'm working on getting my CBE certification from them. Check their website ([url]www.cappa.org[url]) to see if you can find someone in your area. Never forget, it's YOUR body this baby is growing up in and birthing out of, not the doctor's. You get to make the decisions, here.

Congratulations, again! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Ellen Edwards
08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
LUCKY YOU!! Congratulations!! I had a girl and then a boy, and we were so happy with each! :muah:
I tend to agree about the inducements unless they are REALLY necessary--my dil was induced, and the due date had been miscalculated. He was far smaller than they'd originally been telling her and my son, that he was going to be a "big" boy, around 8 and 1/2 pounds. Well, he just made it to 6lbs and 4 oz, and had some breathing problems too. He's fine now, but we were quite worried for a little while! Please get some opinions , etc., before you decide, and I really do wish you the best of luck! :hug:

Jan in CA
08-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Congratulations! Best wishes for a safe and easy delivery!

BTW..I had a friend who had 3 girls and all of them were over 10 lbs..one of them was 11 lbs 4oz!!!! :shock:

Cristy
08-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I always question my doctor and get second opinions and I'm pretty well informed on the research. Just like with my first one (where they wanted to do a C-section)--nothing happens unti I say so....with her--I made it through vaginal birth naturally despite her size but there were lots of complications. I don't know, knowing what I know now, if I'll ever be so hard headed about natural birth as I was the first time. I think I put myself and my daughter in serious jeporady. The practice I'm in is one I'm very comfortable with--SHE is a great doctor and has a very low rate of c-section and inducement. She had two 10lb plus children of her own naturally. I didn't get specific about my medical history b/c I didn't think it was necessary but I know her comments were made on my history and safety of me and my baby. I appreciate everyone's suggestions to educate myself though!

itsbecca1979
08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
So you have a girl already? Awww! Now you'll have a cheeseburger and a hotdog! :cheering:

Cristy
08-18-2006, 05:57 PM
hehehe...thats one way to look at it I gues...

:rofl:

yep--this'll be my little boy--I have a little girl who is about to turn 4 in a few weeks. :)

Nikki
08-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Congratulations, boys are wonderful!
Nikki

gimmesanity
08-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Yay!! Congrats, momma!
January will be here before you know it ;)

Ingrid
08-18-2006, 10:56 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Congratulations!!!! Great news!!

My son was born in January. The girls were born in May and October. I have to say, except for the worry about snow, I loved having him then. You're kind of housebound, anyway, and by the time spring comes, the baby is a few months old, you've got a routine and are feeling back to normal. I wish I'd known for my first. The summer slipped by that year!

I'm so glad everything is going well! :muah: :muah:

Freyja
08-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Congratulations!!!!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

mks22300
08-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Congratulations Cristy!! :cheering:

dustinac
08-19-2006, 09:09 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Thats wonderful!! Congrats!! Our little boy's birthday is in November then my daughters 2wks later first of Dec :rofl: we always tell people nooo we didn't think of the cost of buying b-day gifts then Christmas.. My first was over 10lbs... with alot of damage took me so long to get back up on my feet.. the dr and I talked about it and with all info decided c-section best for my daughter and turned out to be for the best for her and me... I was so scared that morning.. he was a great dr he came into the room right before I was to be wheeled away and said we can change it and you can have her natural too.. I'll just tell them nope not using the Operating Room today.. but my gut said no so I did it and turned out for the best for her and me... the dr said afterwards God works in mysterious ways its a good thing you followed your gut... and I was on my feet walking around the next morning :happydance: I'm sure what ever you and your dr decide it will be the best for you and your baby :hug:

Cristy
08-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys--I really do have good doctors who listen to what I say and don't pressure me at all. I don't know what I'll do--I'll have to wait until then and see how things are going.

My daughter was born in October and I have to say I'm enjoying this time around much more than the first time. With the first one I gained 87 lbs (and for those of you who know what I look like...I'm a pretty small person at 5'2 with a normal weight of about 115-120 lbs.) I was big the whole time (LOL) but biggest through the warm months (since it's not even close to cold in GA in October) and I was MISERABLE!! This time around I feel like I've been able to exercise more regularly b/c in the beginning the weather was nice--the last few weeks have been difficult b/c it's been 90+ almost daily but I'll get back into my walking when things start to cool off. I'll just have to do it slowly since I've taken some time off. This time around I think I'll enjoy a January birth b/c maybe I'll be back in better shape by summer--especially since I've only gained about 12 lbs so far. :)

This'll be the last one I think. If we have another one, I'll be shocked! I'm pretty happy w/ a boy and a girl and being pregnant is not exactly fun to me. But we'll see...

rebecca
08-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Congratulations on a very healthy baby boy :muah:

Angelia
08-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Congratulations, Cristy!! :hug: :hug:

samm
08-20-2006, 06:48 PM
What terrific news!!!! I'm very happy for you and your family. I'm glad the little one is looking healthy and strong. I'm doing a happy dance for you, Cristy!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:
samm

mulene
08-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Good news! Glad to hear all is well with you! =D