PDA

View Full Version : Stitches East or New York Sheep and Wool Festival?

CindyH
08-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I've never been to a yarn/knitting event before, and I probably won't be able to afford to go to both events, so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about which event would be more worth going to? I'm leaning more towards NY Sheep and Wool Festival, but seeing how the Midwest gals had so much fun at Stitches Midwest makes me wonder if Stitches East would be an equivalent or better choice. I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions!

debbya
08-19-2006, 02:51 AM
hi cindy :waving:

i have been to stitches east a couple of times now, and i LOVE it each time i go. me and a gf of mine try to make it an annual event. we take off and leave EVERYONE behind for 3 days. we eat, breath, sleep and anything else knitting/crocheting. we also try and get ourselves to a spa for some extra pampering while we are away!!! :woot:

this year i am planning on taking a ride up to rhinebeck to check out the wool festival. i figure its a GREAT time to take a ride upstate, and its another excuse to do something knitting/crocheting related.

the trip to baltimore will be a bit longer than the trips to a/c have been for stiches, but the ride to rhinebeck will be a snap for me.

why were u leaning more towards the wool festival?

debby xxx

CateKnits
08-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I have no idea, as I've never been to either, but since my "home" is half an hour away from Baltimore and I go to school in upstate NY, I'm planning to hit both! :cheering:

Ingrid
08-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm less than an hour from Rhinebeck, but I've yet to make it to the festival. I'd planned to last year, but I think we were emptying my father's house--it was something family related, anyway.

I'll probably try this year, but it's hard to make plans around here these days.

08-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Where is this Rhinebeck you speak of????

debbya
08-19-2006, 02:38 PM
rhinebeck is in dutchess county north of new york city i would guess about 90 mins in travel time. it is right off the taconic state parkway and route 9 runs right through it. its a quaint village where they hold the annual dutchess county fair every summer, in a week or so i believe.

i live about an hour away and have never been to the wool festival either, something always seems to come up. but this year i am determined to get myself up there and see what its all about!

debby xxx (man i just LOVE this emoticon! ehehhe)

CindyH
08-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi ladies!

Thanks for the feedback so far. Debbya - the original reason I was leaning more towards the Festival was that it sounded like a huge festival with lots of vendors and animals, and just sounded like an overall cool experience. And seems like one of those things where you have to check it out at least once, especially since it IS relatively near me. I actually hadn't heard about Stitches until recently (excuse my ignorance!), and I don't know much about it. I'm guessing the primary difference in the 2 events is that Stitches wouldn't have the animals? Maybe less spinning related products?

Cate - lucky you! I wish I could make both of them too, but I know I would leave either of the events with a lot of stuff, so I have to choose just 1! My sister lives in Baltimore, but then the NY Sheep and Wool Festival is closer than Stitches would be.... decisions decisions!!

Ingrid, I'm surprised that you haven't been able to make it to the Festival yet - especially since you're such an advanced knitter! If I choose the Festival, I hope to see you there!

VictoiseC
08-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Ohmygod, You HAVE to go to Rhinebeck! This will be my third year going and this year I actually want to go TWO days, both the Saturday and Sunday. You get too tired trying to cram in everything in the one day. It's just such a super super place. It's huge, it's clean, there's great food. There's so many interesting vendors and then there's the animals to look at. When you get tired you can go and sit in the tented area and watch them show their sheep (so proud!) and the judge points out what makes a good sheep etc.

I have got the most amazing yarn there too. I can't wait for it!
(and it falls on my birthday which really makes it special)

I've never gone to Stitches East but I was just invited to go with someone who is a vendor at both Stitches Midwest and East. I think I'll go. The classes sound very interesting.

If anyone's going to Rhinebeck, lets say hello!

Vic

CindyH
08-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Lol, Victoise.... you just about convinced me! I still would want to go to Stitches East too, sigh. Maybe I can not eat for a few days to save money... :gah:

If anyone's going to Rhinebeck, lets say hello!

Vic
Sounds good, I'm up for it!

08-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Well, you've all made it sound just wonderful, I'm trying to talk my hubby into it. (That won't take too much :happydance: ) I thought I'd post the link for you all. Not a bad admission price either.

The drive will be a bit long (2 hours) give or take, but it sounds worth it to me. :woohoo:

http://www.sheepandwool.com/festlocation.cfm

gimmesanity
08-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm totally down for Rhinebeck...I live in Brooklyn.
Anyone NYC-ers want to mooch a ride and make a road trip out of it? Let me know, I'll drive!

CindyH
08-21-2006, 02:18 PM
That's so nice of you! Are you going Saturday or Sunday? Or both? :lol: The reason I ask is I can't go on Saturday (got class then), so I was going to go on Sunday. But if you're going Sunday, I would gladly mooch! Thanks!

gimmesanity
08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I can do Sunday. I was planning on doing one day.
OK, so Sunday, the 22nd....yay!
Anyone else want to come along? I can fit three more in my momma-mobile...

schrodinger
10-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I would LOVE to mooch a ride, esp if Cindy is coming too (hi Cindy). Would be great to meet you in *real* life.