PDA

View Full Version : Knitting book recomendations?

itscryttle
08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
I am wanting a nice knitting book with great patterns in it. Nothing too difficult. I want something with patterns I will actually USE.

I recently ran across a book called:

LION BRAND YARN: JUST WRAPS: 30 PATTERNS TO KNIT AND CROCHET
by Klose, Stephanie and Maguire, Cathy

anyone know if this book is worth it?

Any other recommendations???

08-20-2006, 10:37 PM
I would recommend the book, Mason Dixon Knitting. I'm basically a beginner myself and I found their patterns to be quite easy.

Good Luck!

caviar
08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey, is there a way we can sticky this topic, as it comes up so often? Maybe rank our book suggestions by beginning, intermediate, advanced? Or has this already been done somewhere and I just haven't explored enough?

Kirstin

hedgehog
08-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Stitch 'N Bitch and Stitch 'N Bitch Nation are both designed for beginner to intermediate knitters. The contain diverse, funky patterns (sweaters, mittens, scarves, bikinis.. you name it!) AND they are full of knitting 'how-to' descriptions...

I use mine all the time as a reference AND for the patterns.

-hh

momwolf
08-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Now you're Knitting by Leisure Arts.Found this book at Sams Club for $15.00 Nice hard cover.165 projects and 99 knit stitches.I even got a knit gauge tool included with it.Everything you could want to knit is in here. Easy to intermediate.588 pages. GREAT BOOK

KristiMetz
08-21-2006, 12:28 AM
I also think both of the Stitch 'N Bitch books are great.

If you are a plus-size gal like me, the girl Big Girl Knits is pretty much a necessity! Even for non-knitters! :) There is some wonderful information on choosing stuff that looks good, as well as some really fabulous patterns (including a purse I really must make someday).

The book "Knitter's Stash" has some REALLY great patterns in it as well. It has more than just clothing in it as well, with lots of accessories and a really cool tea cozy in it.

Hope this helps. :muah:

losnana
08-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti is SUPER for explanations and hints. Not too many patterns, but I find myself referring to it on every project.

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears is also great for sweaters. Especially on circulars, without seams. :cheering:

EssenceRose
08-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I am also a fan of the Stitch N' Bitch books. I have them both and often find myself referring back to them. I also quite like "hand knits for the home" by Caroline Birkett.

psammeadred
08-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Weekend Knitting by Melanie Falick has some great patterns. There's a pattern for little egg cozies that are shaped like sweaters, hand warmers, finger puppets, and all sorts of neat stuff. I would say it's for early intermediate knitters.

Jillie
08-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Oh, I love books as much as knitting :inlove:! Let's see, the Family Circle books are good and practical, Hip Knits 65 easy projects from hot deisgners from Better Homes and Gardens (babies, kids, teens, women, accessories), Hot Knits 30 Cool, Fun Designs to Knit and Wear by Melissa Leapman (for women), and the Sally Melville Experience series has some nice projects, and some great teaching from basic techniques to advanced. Use your 40% off coupons from JoAnn Fabrics! :happydance:

mamabeth
08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I just picked up The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting by Nicki Trench since it was on sale at Books A Million. So far I'm really enjoying it, but I'm looking forward to the Stitch-n-Bitch books! LOL

gimmesanity
08-21-2006, 11:49 PM
SnB is a good starter book...although, I have to admit that I've only made one pattern out of the book.

One of my favorites is Mason-Dixon Knitting. Lots of cool ideas to inspire you.

If you want something that's more this-is-how-to, The Knitter's Bible is the way to go. Not so many patterns, but it shows you how to do basically everything. It's a great reference book.

Oh, and Weekend Knitting is another good one.

I'd suggest going to the book store or, better yet, your library and look around to see what calls your name.

itscryttle
08-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone! All of these sound like great books!

I have the Knitters Bible and love it! Learned how to do several things from that book.

I have been contemplating buying the Knit n Bitch book. Maybe I shall add it to my birthday wish list... or Christmas! :happydance:

stitchywitch
08-22-2006, 12:09 PM
I really like "Last minute knitted gifts." I didn't think I would find much in there, but it has some great projects that aren't too time intensive, or difficult for me (a semi beginner who fears finishing). I also really like "Scarf Style," which is great if you're obsessed with scarves like me - really beautiful, unusual patterns.

I have both SnB books, and while the instructions are helpful, they aren't as useful to me as the videos on this site, and I don't really care for any of the patterns (I like my knits more elegant than funky.)

jdee
08-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I'd like to put in another vote for Mason Dixon Knitting. I really love this book, and I've made several things from it. All of them easy, and fast.

I also love Weekend Knitting, and Last Minute Knitted Gifts. They're beautifully put together, and fun to just look through.