PDA

View Full Version : Hoodie Scarf Knit Along

knitqueen
08-21-2006, 02:51 PM
In another thread, several of us have expressed interest in this pattern (pdf file) (http://d-made.com/knitting/patterns/hoodie_scarf.pdf). So here we go!!! :happydance:

XbelovedXoneX
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
I will be joining sometime! I just have to decide on a yarn since I'm kinda burned out on using cottons. What is everyone else going to use? I also have to see when new yarn will fit into my budget. :? This will be my first project with cables! :cheering:

knitqueen
08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm using Patons Decor, colour taupe.

Ingrid
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I'll look through my stash and see what I'd like to use. I think I will make this since I put my scarves over my head, anyway, when it's really cold and I'm not a hat wearer. I do have things to finish first, though.

:thinking: I've got a sweater and a scarf (Christmas gift) on the needles, and two sweaters to finish seaming. I really need to seam a cardigan so I can wear it in school, so I have a deadline there.

knitqueen
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
The one thing I hope to change about this pattern.....ya know how when you have a hood with the same # of stitches all the way up with no decreases or anything, you end up with a bit of a pointy hood? You can see it in the picture from this pattern, I don't like that. I hope to figure out a way to make the back of the hood more rounded. I'm thinking something like dividing right and left hood sooner and either doing some decreases from the center out towards the edges (which would require seaming) or work some kind of short rows which would still work with the three needle bind off, something like when short rows are used to slope shoulders. :thinking:

Ingrid
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Hee. I had the same thought about the back of the head, but I haven't given any thought to how to get rid of that little dangly point yet. Maybe some decreases up along the stitches at the back of the head?

knitqueen
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Kristi, remember all that nice stuff I said in the other thread about those first 6 rows??? I take it all back :doh:, and I'm sorry for sounding like I knew what I was talking about before actually trying it :blush: . It is not a nice little constrast border, it is just an ugly mess of alternating garter stitch-like stuff. I didn't like it one bit so I'm going to do it as you first thought - knit the purls and purl the knits right from the start, just as in the cable portion. Did you ever hear back from the designer??

KristiMetz
08-22-2006, 12:06 AM
I heard back from the designer! She did say that the first six rows of the pattern are in error. Instead of them all being the same - K1, P3, K3, P3, K6, P3, K3, P3, K1, you reverse the instructions for the even numbered rows.

So it should be like this :

Row 1 - K1, P3, K3, P3, K6, P3, K3, P3, K1
Row 2 - P1, K3, P3, K3, P6, K3, P3, K3, P1
Row 3 - Repeat row 1
Row 4 - Repeat row 2
Row 5 - Repeat row 1
Row 6 - Repeat row 2

I'm spelling it out in case anyone reading these messages down the line needs to understand exactly what it should be. :)

I'm going to start this tonight with the Alpaca Silk - last chance for this Debbie Bliss yarn! If it is just too slippery or frayed I'm gonna ditch it and go with something else.

I would also love for the hood to not be pointy... it's not as bad as some, but I would greatly prefer a rounded hood. There is a headscarf pattern from Berroco (http://www.berroco.com/180/180_headscarf.html) which does not APPEAR to have a pointy hood. Maybe it will help? I'm not savvy enough to tell much from looking at this pattern that would help me.

knitqueen
08-22-2006, 12:30 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Kristi, glad you heard from the designer!! I'm 3 cable repeats in on the first scarf and it's looking good. I'm excited about this!

XbelovedXoneX
08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Oooo I can't wait til I can afford to get some yarn to start this! Thanks for letting us know about the error Kristi!

rebecca
08-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I really like this pattern, I may have to knit it, too...gotta go get some more blue sky cotton 1st :cheering:

slgn
08-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Xposted from pattern thread:

I know you guys aren't there yet, but am I reading the pattern correctly, this has a seam at the top (bind-off closure when you get to top of hood)?

knitqueen
08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes, it does have a seam. I suppose if you wanted a no-seam look, you could use kitchener stitch instead of a 3 needle BO, but I'm not sure how that would work with the cable.

slgn
08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
gotcha - thanks for confirming. Since I wasn't getting that first part (which we now know is an error), I was doubting my understnading of the rest.

happy knitting all.

Ingrid
11-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I just started this in yummy Mmmmalabrigo. I'll post a pic when I get a bit more done. :happydance:

knitqueen
11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I've fallen off the bandwagon on this one. Made a hat instead. Ingrid, can't wait to see your progress! :hug:

heather_dw
11-13-2006, 01:28 PM
hmm,.. never joined a KAL but the finished project is so neat looking.
Hmm,.. not sure if I can do this one. Is it just not as hard as it looks?

Of course, I need to get this size of circular too :oops:

Ingrid
11-13-2006, 04:34 PM
It's not hard at all--some simple cables. You knit the two scarf parts at the same time, but could could do them one at a time. Then you cast on between them for the back of the head and just keep working straight. Three needle bind-off for the top of the head.

Finishing requires picking up a lot of stitches which needs a long circular needle, though.

I'm at the point where I'm binding off the first finishing ribbing, so I don't have too much to go.

heather_dw
11-14-2006, 04:02 PM
darn, I can't find size 7 circulars. Is there a specific length needed?

heather_dw
11-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Can you use DPN's on this instead of circulars?

Ingrid
11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
You only need the circulars for the length--there's no knitting in the round. You could get a way with long straights for the scarf and hood part, but if you want to add the ribbed edging, you need the circs.

heather_dw
11-16-2006, 11:06 PM
hmm,.. ok. What length would work best for this?
I'm not too familar with using circulars I just have one pair I bought before I knew length made a difference and it's pretty long.. sweater long! :happydance:

heather_dw
12-06-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm working on this now, but as you can see my cables look drastically different. The ones where I put the stitches on the needle hanging in front of my work look tons better than the one where I let the stitches hang in back. Anyone know what am I messing up here?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_scarfhoodiemismatch.gif

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Hmm... I think both sides look great!!! . But I can see a slight diffence (not DRASTIC by any means! they're fabulous!).... maybe you're knitting the stitches from the cable needle (in back) a bit too tightly? Those look like they are twisted a little tighter than the other ones.

heather_dw
12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
On the side that's not twisty, you can see a little "bunch" at the back on every cable row. On the pretty cable scarf side, you don't see that on the back .. It's so odd.

I'll go knit a little and when I get to the cable row, ill try doing the "not as cool looking side" a bit looser and see what happens.

Thanks~

heather_dw
12-11-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm at the "3 needle bind off"portion of the pattern. I have NO idea how to do a 3 needle bind off. I didn't see it in the knittinghelp video clip area either.

Can anyone help?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Three needle bind off is on this page (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/bind-off.php) at the very bottom.

heather_dw
12-11-2006, 12:39 AM
oooh. I missed it when I looked earlier. Thanks for helping. That bind off doesn't look too bad at all ^_^

:hug:

heather_dw
12-12-2006, 04:46 PM
ok, It's blocking/drying now. Will take pics as soon as it's done.

I'm still mad about the one cables looking better than the other side and I should have made the scarf part longer. Other than that, I think my mom will like it!

heather_dw
12-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Done!

This is my sister modeling it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_hoodiekalb121306.jpg

Closeup of the side here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_hoodiekalc121306.jpg

If I make this again, I'm making the scarf longer and getting a longer circular

leppardess
12-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I am so happy that I happened on this KAL! I was looking for a hooded scarf pattern exactly like this one but I'm fairly new to knitting (can do basic stuff but haven't tackled cables just yet).

I absolutely love this pattern! As soon as I'm more proficient at cables (I'm practicing at the moment on a test piece), I seriously want to make this!