PDA

View Full Version : Noro is #1?

boyforpele13
08-22-2006, 05:48 AM
Hi!

So, I got to meet the southeast yarn rep for Noro (and the rest of Euro Knitting Fever.) When discussing the Noro stuff, he tells us that Noro Kureyon is the #1 selling yarn in the world and that Silk Garden is sold in TONS every year, like 6 tons per year or some other such insanity... I've been a little disenchanted with Noro since my personal Silk Garden issues, but I had a ball of Kureyon thrown at me to knit a hat for the store and I'm not in love with it really. I think many of the colors are lovely, but... eh.

What is everyone's feeling on this? Just curious. :)

XbelovedXoneX
08-22-2006, 07:13 AM
I haven't actually used it for a project yet, but I have to admit I do love the colors. I first got the chance to fondle it at a LYS a few weeks ago and was amazed and how scratchy and icky feeling it was. It reminded me a lot of the recycled silk I have!

Jax3303
08-22-2006, 07:33 AM
I've used Noro a few times. I HATE the kureyon and the Silk Garden is just meh. the only good thing about those 2 yarns is the colors. However, I absolutely LOVE the Noro Transitions yarn. Too bad it's about $25/hank.

KellyK
08-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I vote "Every time I see it in the store the colors hypnotize me and draw me in, but Ive cringed after touching it every time, so Ive never knit with it."

(See how Im a rebel and can't just pick one that you've listed?? :twisted: I live life on the EDGE, I tell you! 8-) )

Amber
08-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, my only Noro experience is with the Kureyon I used for my Booga Bag. I thought it was pretty scratchy and splity, and the fibers tended to break.

The colors are pretty, but otherwise, it's not my fav.

suecq
08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I do not like the Noro. In fact I won some at the LYS and gave to a friend. I didn't even want it in my stash.

brendajos
08-22-2006, 10:02 AM
the kuyreon is the only stuff they have that is in my budget and it always sucks me in with it's pretty colors. i buy it and bring it home and wind it and remember why i hate it. someday i hope to be stronger than the kuyreon.

it felts into a very nice fabric though.

jodstr2
08-22-2006, 10:03 AM
I love the Kureyon colors, but am not a fan of the sticks and straw in it or the varying thickness of it.

sara_jayne
08-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm using the Kureyon for the first time doing a Lucy bag. I don't really like the colorways all that much (but that is me). The yarn is itchy to knit with and I had mine break a few times. It is also very home spun in nature - it can be lace weight to bulky weight and I don't always like that. Since it will be felted it isn't that big of a deal but I don't think I'd use it if I wasn't going to felt with it.

skNYC
08-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Maybe he meant Noro Kureyon is the #1 selling yarn among all other Noro yarns.

rebecca
08-22-2006, 10:46 AM
I have some gorgeous silk garden waiting to become the very lovely Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole (http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000623.html)...I don't think that it could be beaten for the $ for Lady E...this will be the 1st time I've worked with it, so...the jury is still out for me. However, I do envision a beautiful Lady E, I'm very optimistic :D

jodstr2
08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
I have some gorgeous silk garden waiting to become the very lovely Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole (http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000623.html)...I don't think that it could be beaten for the $ for Lady E...this will be the 1st time I've worked with it, so...the jury is still out for me. However, I do envision a beautiful Lady E, I'm very optimistic :D

I have been so in love with (and in awe of!) with that stole since I got the book! good luck with that - it will be gorgeous in Silk Garden :heart: :heart: :heart: !!!

Ingrid
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I vote "Every time I see it in the store the colors hypnotize me and draw me in, but Ive cringed after touching it every time, so Ive never knit with it."

(See how Im a rebel and can't just pick one that you've listed?? :twisted: I live life on the EDGE, I tell you! 8-) )

I'm on the edge with Kelly. I love the way it looks, but as soon as I touch it I back off. There are too many nicer yarns out there.

brendajos
08-22-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm on the edge with Kelly.

yeah that's exactly where I would put you two! :teehee:

Liliyarn
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Absolutely love the colors. They are very dramatic. I like Noro because it reminds me of homespun singles. Yes sometimes the fibers are weak and break. Not always soft. I've yet to come across VM but am sure there are balls with it out there. I like how it is thin and thick. I adore the transitions yarn. The rest I usually felt. Right now I'm knitting a modular hat with silk garden. Next I'll do a cable scarf maybe in the transitions.

It's yarn. If I can knit with my homespun then I can definitely get through Noro's short comings.

I was thinking this same question just the other day.

stitchywitch
08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I have some silk garden waiting to be knit into a multidirectional scarf. I wish it were softer, but I honestly am so in love with the colors that I can deal with the itch factor, at least for a scarf. I don't think I'd make a sweater out of it. I got mine way cheap at WEBS, and I don't think I would pay full price for it (I go and stare at the LYS, then back slowly away from the pricetag.)

Danielle
08-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I love the colors that Noro comes in. I mainly use it for felting. I wouldn't make a sweater or any garment out of it, since it is so rough. I just got a skein of silk garden from my swap pal, and I can't wait to try it. It seems softer than the Kureyon.

CindyH
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I echo Kelly and Ingrid's vote! I'm a very tactile knitter, so I could NOT stand knitting with Kureyon. For me, it was more painful to knit with than acrylic (which I usually don't like)! :-x

boyforpele13
08-22-2006, 02:46 PM
i am so glad i'm not the only one! and sknyc, no, he said kureyon was the biggest in the world. that's what irked me so much and prompted me to post this. ;) i was all, say it ain't so! i was worried if the rest of the world knew something about kureyon they weren't letting me in on, but apparently not and YAY! ;) let's hate noro together! :teehee:

i do love that lady eleanor in silk garden, some of them are just breathtaking.

KellyK
08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
YAY! ;) let's hate noro together! :teehee:

:grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!: :grrr: :!!!:

boyforpele13
08-22-2006, 03:04 PM
uh oh, sorry KK. Let's hate noro even though we love the colors together? II forgot that part...

kitkat
08-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I did do a sweater out of it - and even though I washed it in cream rinse and everything, will still need to wear a long sleeve t-shirt under it. Skritchy.

boyforpele13
08-22-2006, 04:40 PM
oh and p.s. i have been lusting over that Chambers sweater done in Noro Iro for I don't know how long, even went to Knit n Knibble and picked out the color, still was in love with the yarn, but felt a swatch yesterday and now I'm ick over it and sad. :( It's not BAD by any means, but not what I was thinking with the silk content and certainly now not worth a $180 sweater. MEH!

jodstr2
08-22-2006, 06:44 PM
I wanna make Klaralund (http://knitnpurlzen.wordpress.com/klaralund) and am trying to decide between Silk Garden and Kureyon. oh well, it'll be awhile before I can afford to buy it anyway.

boyforpele13
08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
that's the color i have! i love that one. i can't believe she finished it in a month!!! I can't even finish a sock in a month! wow!

jberry16
08-22-2006, 07:14 PM
I am making the booga bag with it and it sure is scratchy, like the color though. Has anyone else used if for the booga bag? once it's felted is it still really scratchy?

rebecca
08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I wanna make Klaralund (http://knitnpurlzen.wordpress.com/klaralund) and am trying to decide between Silk Garden and Kureyon. oh well, it'll be awhile before I can afford to buy it anyway.

I recommend the Silk Garden. That's what I have for my Lady E :wink:

Nikki
08-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm one of those that hasn't tried it and if it's not soft, I doubt I will. Yuck. It's got to feel good on the skin as well as being pretty
Nikki

jberry16
08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
I am making the booga bag with it and it sure is scratchy, like the color though. Has anyone else used if for the booga bag? once it's felted is it still really scratchy?

KellyK
08-23-2006, 12:57 AM
uh oh, sorry KK. Let's hate noro even though we love the colors together? II forgot that part...

NO! Its ok! I was hating Noro with you like you said!

Andrea
08-23-2006, 09:14 AM
I've knit with Kureyon and Silk Garden and I've liked both :shrug: The straw pieces are weird. I use it mainly for felting along with a solid coordinating color. You can't beat their colorways!! Well, ok, maybe MMMMMMalabrigo can beat it! :inlove:

rebecca
08-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Ya'll are hating on Noro...you are giving me this complex and now I don't know if I can believe you when you say you like my Lady E when I knit her with Silk Garden...and the Silk Garden that Lonnie gave me for our anniversary at that :verysad:
:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

boyforpele13
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
i really just had one bad experience with silk garden, but i really do love it (and even made my friend opening the LYS order regular AND lite) and lady E comes out breathtaking in it. i really was just disappointed to hear kureyon was #1 in the world... felt like us handknitters could "do better" for lack of a better phrase, know what I mean?

Ellen Edwards
08-24-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm just now knitting a scarf with Silk Garden, and it's softer than Kureyon, but not as soft as something you'd like to have right ON your skin....touching your neck!! It's it's going on the outside of a coalt, it'll be breathtaking.....but if it rubs against your skin-YOU'LL be taking--it off, I think, in a few minutes. I LOVE LOVE all the colorways--Noro is WONDERFUL at that--but on 1 skein, I've had 2 places where the yarn was just tied together ina knot with no ends to weave in----so it's going to show a bit on the back and I can't do anything about it--ifthat had beenm say on the front of a sweater---I've had ben fuming mad!

I imagine I'll felt the rest I have, or eBay it. Some people, and I was one, LOVE the colors, and don't KNOW about the scratchiness of it til they've BOUGHT it, sight unseen. Then when they've got it in their hands--they're like me. Stuck! And I've noticed too--that when you felt something, even the color seems to fade some--but the NORO colors will be bright even after felting, I hope!!