PDA

View Full Version : Anthropologie-inspired Capelet

Friskums
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Using the yarn DragonTush (Lang Yarns Tosca color 0063) sent me, I made this on sunday.

http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/capeletback.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/capelettiedtop.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/capelettieddown.jpg

I decided I didn't want the tie to be affixed to the body so that I can pretty much put it where ever I want. It's just a simple 2 stitch i-cord.

First pic shows the color best.

It feels a little bulky on, but now that I look at it I guess it doesn't really look that way.
I wore it off and on at work yesterday. It's warm. :rofl: :happydance:

ETA: Cuz someone asked and I thought it was good info to add:
I used 1 and 3/4 balls of the yarn. I don't know how much yardage that works out to though.

The link is here (http://peonyknits.blogspot.com/2005/11/anthropologie-inspired-capelet-fo-and.html).

sara_jayne
08-22-2006, 09:50 AM
:cheering: Great job - I love those colors! :inlove:

candicane
08-22-2006, 09:59 AM
That is beautiful! I so need to make one of those! I have been eyeing some wool/soy at Michaels. I think I need to make a shopping run at lunch time.

Candice

rebecca
08-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Gorgeous!!! It looks great on you, too :cheering:

gardenmommy
08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, that striping worked out perfectly! Great idea for the tie too!

Amber
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
That is soooo pretty! I LOVE those colors and it looks great on you!

XbelovedXoneX
08-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I haven't really liked many of the capelets... until yours!

DragonTush
08-22-2006, 11:32 AM
You realize that now I have to go buy some of that yarn for myself :rofl:

You did a fantastic job on that capelet Frisky! :thumbsup:

Friskums
08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the compliments! I love how the striping worked out.

You realize that now I have to go buy some of that yarn for myself :rofl:
I do what I can. ;) :rofl: :rofl:

earthchick
08-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Gorgeous!

jamadian75
08-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Lovely fk!!! :heart: (and congrats on the pending anniversary ;-))

So did you start and finish that in just one day??

Friskums
08-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Basically, yeah. I cast on the night before, did a few rows and then did all the rest the next day.

(and thanks!)

Jakoh
08-22-2006, 09:35 PM
WOW!!!! It is so beautiful!!!! I love the colors!!1

I wanted to knit one for myself but i am not sure how to increase sts to fit me..... as I wear size L :waah:

Can anyone teach me? I saw that the post on the pattern on this forum and got very excited but didn't start anything. Help!

Cheers

suzeeq
08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Jakoh, you just keep increasing until it fits you. That's the beauty of raglan shaped garment, they're very basic and can fit anyone easily.

sue

Friskums
08-22-2006, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't think it would be too difficult since you increase to the size of your upper arm.

I'd just measure around your neck to determine how many stitches to cast on. Then, just keep doing the raglan increases until it measures the circumference of your upper arm.

Or, use bulkier yarn and bigger needles for no-conversion-needed.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

ETA: You could also check out the craftster (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62184.0) thread. I didn't read through all of the pages, but there might be some more tips in there.

gimmesanity
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
That looks so awesome on you! That yarn is so perfect!

knit-errant
08-23-2006, 08:03 AM
So pretty! I love the yarn you used - the colors are gorgeous!

Andrea
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Great job!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I love it! And I like the i cord tie idea!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

candicane
08-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Ok, so I was reading this post and also the craftster thread hoping to find some info on resizing and also using a worsted weight yarn. This is what I found out on craftster:

Measure the circumference of your neck ( or where you want the neckline to sit).

Swatch to get stitches per inch.

neck measurement x stitches per inch = number of stitches to cast on. This number needs to be divisible by 4.

I am good so far, but need to know how to divide for the raglan then. This will be my first attempt at raglan so be gentle. Can anyone else fill in here?

Thanks,
candice

Friskums
08-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I am good so far, but need to know how to divide for the raglan then. This will be my first attempt at raglan so be gentle. Can anyone else fill in here?

Thanks,
candice

Hmm, I'm not sure on that one. I know the top of mine was about 4 inches. When I finished, from one "inside" hole to the other was 10 inches.

Or, measure your arm where you want the increases to fall. Then use that number to determine how many stitches will be needed between the yo's.

But...I really have no idea what I'm talking about and have a tendancy to make things much more difficult than they need to be, so hopefully someone more experienced can give a hand. :shrug:

Debbyd
08-24-2006, 03:06 AM
WOW!!! So gorgeous. Your striping did so great. You should be so proud of your work.

candicane
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Frisky Kitty,

Which measurement was 4"? I am going to try to work out the math this morning for doing it in a worsted weight yarn.

Candice

Friskums
08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Right after the 1x1 ribbing. The distance on the "insides" of the of the increases.

I'll draw a poor rendition in paint. :D

The upper left pic is as if you are looking at the back. The arrows point to show the arm area I'm talking about.

The lower right pic is the arm straight on. Mine was 4 inches across the top and 10 by the time I was done with the increases.

Does that make any sense?

candicane
08-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the drawings, it makes sense now. I have a thread started in the how to forum. Right now I am trying to figure out why the pattern has an odd number for the CO. She (pattern writer) says the odd number is in the back section to make the eyelets line up with the ribbing in the collar. Although the explanation makes sense, the extra stitch seems to be in section 5, not the back.

I am determined to make this thing by sunday in worsted weight. I am on the second try now and trying to decided if I am going to frog and CO 73 instead of 72.

Candice

Friskums
08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Let me know how it turns out. I just got some worsted weight I wouldn't mind using to make another one of these. :thumbsup:

Friskums
08-24-2006, 11:50 PM
I just remeasured my capelet (though, can I really call it that when I sewed up the arm seams, and the ones on the body for a closer fit :?? ) and the top is acutally only 3 inches. Not four.

I hope I didn't screw you up (if you were using that at all)

Sorry. :oops:

itabit
08-25-2006, 12:49 AM
That is so sweet, I was looking at a pattern like that last night at a knitting group.

Elizabeth

nanonette
08-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Beautiful! Love the self-striping yarn!! :thumbsup:

suzeeq
08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
To divide for raglan, most people have divided the total number of stitches by 6...
1/6 for front, 1/6 for sleeve, 2/6 (1/3) for back, 1/6 for 2ndsleeve, 1/6 for other front.

sue