PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trend Clogs-2006 and 2007

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

humblestumble
11-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Hurray! I didn't run out! I had a tiny bit left over!
thank goodness :D Tomorrow, I felt! (Or full?)

One clog is bigger than the other because I had to switch to a bigger needle - my boye 13 wasn't screwing on. I hope it doesn't affect the finished product!

Thanks to everyone who helped out :notworthy:

Angelia
11-09-2006, 08:46 AM
They look great, Angela! I'm glad you didn't run out of yarn again!

I've been using a crochet hook to attach the cuff and soles. (I might add bumpers later, I'm not sure.) Using the crochet hook for the bind off goes so much faster than picking up stitches and doing the three needle thing. But maybe that's me!

SandraEllen
11-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I didn't do the 3 needle thing. I just picked up each stitch individually and knit it with the next stitch on my needle. hmm... sounds confusing. I picked up the next st on the bottom of the clog with my left needle and then did a k2tog (the one that was the next st on my needle and the one i picked up), then i picked up the next st and did a k2tog and continued that way.
It was kinda slow, but better (for me) than having to go through and pick them all up at once.

ashleywestervelt
11-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Where can I find leather soles for the bottom of these clogs? Also, has anyone done any needle-felting onto the clog? My husband has requested I make a University of MI themed pair fos his grandpa and was at first going to do the heel/cuff out of maize and the top out of blue, but since it is for gramps who might need a bit more traction, I think I need to put leather on the bottom. So now I will only have the maize on the cuff (right? because the contrasting heel doesn't show with the leather???) I need more maize on them! I am thinking of needle felting the "M" onto the toes.
Any tips/tricks for doing this?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Have you not seen THESE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=62774&highlight=butterfly+clogs#62774) ????????

they are most fabulous, IMHO

kniftyknitter12
11-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry, I have two more questions.

1. My son wears a size 9 shoe, so I think the 11's would be too big. What women's size would be equivalent to a men's size 9?

2. I was looking at the other clog thread, and on the first page I saw the clogs that KellyK made for her DH. It says that she used mist and coal but they look like blue and dark blue to me. Am I color blind, or do the colors change when they are felted?

Angelia
11-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Go with the women's large (size 10); those should fit him fine.

As for the colors, it may be your monitor making them look funny (or maybe the lighting in Kelly's photo). The colors stay fairly true throughout felting.

ashleywestervelt
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Wow! Those are great :) I am totally doing the "M", just gotta pick up some felting needles and get a primer. Just about finished with the first clog, they go fast! All I have to do is stick in the spare circ and knit together/cast off.
So, about those soles?

Angelia
11-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Here (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Fiber+Trends+Suede+Slipper+So les+(One+Piece+Cabin-Style)&Cat=&ProductType=9&Count=35) ya go!

lucy
11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
How cool that I came across your post - I just finished felting a pair of "U of M" clogs for my dad! And I bought some dark yellow fleece/wool to try and needle felt a block M on the top :) I'm going to try that this weekend - I'll let you know how they turn out.

I did find that the men's size clogs are really wide and tall. Has anyone ever tried re-sizing this pattern? I think next time I would knit the largest women's size and then just monitor the felting and try to stretch them lenghwise

Where can I find leather soles for the bottom of these clogs? Also, has anyone done any needle-felting onto the clog? My husband has requested I make a University of MI themed pair fos his grandpa and was at first going to do the heel/cuff out of maize and the top out of blue, but since it is for gramps who might need a bit more traction, I think I need to put leather on the bottom. So now I will only have the maize on the cuff (right? because the contrasting heel doesn't show with the leather???) I need more maize on them! I am thinking of needle felting the "M" onto the toes.
Any tips/tricks for doing this?

HopeGrace
11-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering...is everyone knitting these on a machine? or by hand? They are so darling! I want to try it. (I guess I need to find a yarn shop to find the pattern?)

Thanks for any help!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2006, 12:33 AM
They're hand knitted. The pattern is about 5 bucks, and even thought I'm usually all about free patterns, this one was worth every penny!!!

I think the making women's large and then monitoring the felting is a good idea, Lucy.

lucy
11-11-2006, 01:46 AM
I'm going to try posting a picture of the U of Michigan clogs for my dad. I tried needle felting for the first time tonight to embellish the clogs with the block M. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out!

kaidyddd
11-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Lucy, those are fabulous Michigan clogs! (True praise coming from a Wisconsin Alumni.) Needle felting is next to learn on my list.

Kaidy

jhelanee
11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
I finished knitting my first pair of clogs last night! Now on to felting - but I may wait until I can borrow a camera so I can get before and after pictures .....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Lucy!!!!!! :inlove: They look FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

humblestumble
11-12-2006, 03:15 AM
How loose are these things supposed to be :?? I'm felting them tonight, and I'm hoping they get to my size. I'm a 7.5 and I believe I knit the size 8....I dont think the cuffs will shrink any further.

And a note to the wise! Always be consistent with your knitting needle size... My clog is still a bit bigger and thicker than the other. Next time, I'm going to be consistent. If these don't work out for me, they are going to my brother's girlfriend.

ashleywestervelt
11-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Love the U of M clogs! I decided to do the leather bottom. Thinking camel colored. What do you think?

humblestumble
11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Mine are just not small enough for me, so I stretch the smaller one to fit the bigger. I am giving them as gifts and making another pair for my brother. He specifically requested house slippers, so he will get them :) I will eventually make another pair for me...and maybe my boyfriend.

mugs
11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
So just saw this thread. I really need to make some of these for my Dh. He has been bugging me about slippers for a year. Where do I get the pattern? are they pretty easy to make? I was reading the thread and it doesn't seem too bad.

humblestumble
11-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Lion brand - http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1922238722.html

Patternworks (mine came with a yummy recipe :) )
http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=800056&subject=&catpos=

kniftyknitter12
11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
My pattern has not arrived yet, but I would like to order my yarn now. Can someone please tell me how many yards I will need for the sole/cuff color, and how many for the upper color in the women's sizes 8 and 10.

humblestumble
11-14-2006, 07:00 PM
600yd for the 8 and 650yd for the 10.

If you are going to knit it with two colors, 1/3 of the yardage for the upper color, and 2/3 for the sole/cuff color.

That's where I made the mistake, I switched the fractions!

kniftyknitter12
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
My yarn has been shipped!!!!!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
I hope it will arrive Monday because I payed for rush shipping. :pray:

kareBear
11-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Alright I am so jealous.

I just posted a question on the gauge of these clogs on the pattern forum. I am using two strands of Cascade 220 but I am not getting 9 stitches per 4 inches. I have tried size 13 and 15 needles and with the 15 I am getting 9 stitches per 3 inches.

HELP ME PLEASE......... :wall: :wall: :??

Karen

Angelia
11-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Karen, since the clogs will be felted, I really wouldn't worry about gauge. I have yet to check gauge on the clogs I've done (or any felted items, for that matter), and they've all turned out just fine. The trick is getting the right size during the felting process.

kareBear
11-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I made a hat recently and it never felted down to where I could wear it. So I thought I would try to be safe so I don't waste my time. My washing machine is one of those new types that don't have the center agitation. I don't know if that was the problem or me.

Thanks,

Karen

Angelia
11-19-2006, 11:21 AM
:thinking: The agitation could be part of the problem, yes. Or it could be your water.

kareBear
11-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Do you mean the water isn't hot enough?

Karen

Angelia
11-19-2006, 07:38 PM
The water definitely needsd to be hot, but I was referring to the pH of the water. I didn't even know it could be a problem until I read something in the Two Old Bags Lucy pattern. They recommend adding a cup of baking soda to offset a pH imbalance. Also the kind of yarn you use can determine the length of the felting process. For me, WOTA felts very fast--it usually only takes 15 minutes. Lamb's Pride, however, takes about 30, sometimes 45. (And that's on the heavy duty agitation cycle.)

catownedanna
11-20-2006, 05:46 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Mitt första par innetofflor!" = "My first pair of clogs!"
_____

I finished my first pair of clogs while on vacation in Spain. They were for my mother's birthday last week. I gave them to her unfelted and told her how to felt them on her own so they would fit her.

They are knit in WOTA (Avocado and Chocolate). My mother loves them! :heart:

Angelia
11-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Love them!! :inlove:

Doesn't that avocado felt into the most lovely green?! I think it's my favorite WOTA color! My clogs have an avocado bumper.

kareBear
11-20-2006, 10:15 AM
What is WOTA?

Karen

Angelia
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
What is WOTA?

Karen

Oh, sorry, it's Wool of the Andes (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420103/yarn_display) from KnitPicks. It's inexpensive, comes in lovely colors, and felts wonderfully. It's a favorite around here, particularly for the FT Clogs.

kniftyknitter12
11-20-2006, 09:28 PM
I got my yarn! :happydance: 40 balls of WOTA. I also ordered some Panache and it is very very SOFT :inlove: I'm gonna go cast on!

robynbird
11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm getting ready to cast on but man! The blue paper of this pattern sure makes it difficult to see it. Does anyone else have that problem? Wonder why they use it? I'll update how it's going. :)

Angelia
11-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Argh, the blue is driving me crazy! I could scan it and reprint it, but that would require effort. :roll:

40 balls of WOTA? Plus Panache? Where are the photos?! We needs them! :teehee:

Doublereeder2
11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Scanning and reprinting are the way to go! I could not read the blue papered pattern at all :doh: Go for it - it is worth the effort.

BTW, I have another FT pattern (Streaming Leaves Scarf) that is on nice white paper - maybe they have changed their ways?

Angelia
11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
I have two other patterns of theirs--one is on a white background, the other blue. I am hoping they've changed their ways and that the one with the white background is newer. The little print is bad enough, but on a blue background? :zombie:

kniftyknitter12
11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
40 balls of WOTA? Plus Panache? Where are the photos?! We needs them! :teehee:[/quote]

:rofl: I'll try to post some pics later. :happydance: I am ready to start the cuff on my first clog. It's a child's large in mist and winter night.

kniftyknitter12
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Oops, sorry I forgot that I had a question. Do I need to use any detergent when felting these? It says you do but a lady at my LYS said that you didn't. :shrug:

Angelia
11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I don't use detergent, no, but you can use a little if you want. It's not required to felt, certainly.

kniftyknitter12
11-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks! :muah: I don't think I will use any if you don't have to.

robynbird
11-21-2006, 10:37 PM
I've got one done! Starting the second now. :)

kniftyknitter12
11-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I made a pair of clogs and they kinda smell. Can I fluff them in the dryer with a bounce sheet on low heat? Or should I just spray them with Fabreeze?

CarmenIbanez
11-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Okay clog people. I have a question about the cuff. I have made 2 pairs so far. The cuffs are always too loose. Has anyone experimented with using a smaller needle size on the cuff?

Angelia
11-26-2006, 03:00 PM
I made a pair of clogs and they kinda smell. Can I fluff them in the dryer with a bounce sheet on low heat? Or should I just spray them with Fabreeze?

The smell goes away once they dry--at least that was true for mine. Fabreeze does work on them, though; I 'freshen' mine occasionally with Fabreeze ;)

Wow, Andee, I've never had the cuff turn out too loose! You could go a needle size smaller, sure. As long as there are enough holes to create felting friction, you shouldn't encounter a problem.

JaniceIA
11-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Finished my 3rd pair of clogs... These are truly addicting!! I had to make the largest size for my son (size 13.5 feet).. and they were HUGE prefelted.
Next on will be for my second son who wants a pair in brown and pink (he's 21 and apparently a 'trendsetter'!!) The list keeps growing of friends and family who want a pair!! Good thing I enjoy the pattern!

Angelia
11-29-2006, 09:21 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Lovely!!! My dh has size 13 feet--I feel your pain! :pout:

What did you knit the wee ones out of? That color pooling is really cool!

mugs
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Those look great!

I was wondering if my DH wears a 12 shoe Should I knit the size 13? Anyone know how many balls of WOTA it takes to make that size? I just got my pattern the other day and this is going to be my next project. I am finishing up a hat right now.

JaniceIA
11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks! Yes, for a size 12 I would knit the Men's large. I used 4 skeins of Paton's classic wool... which is about 440 yards (2 skeins) of each color. (I would have an extra skein of each color on hand...so maybe 5 skeins of each color of the WOTA)

For the blue clogs, I knit those with Paton's Denim blue for sole and cuff and the main part is Elizabeth Austen ANDES wool... I believe color 16)

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
So mine are coming out a little "flimsy" and with large openings at the cuff. I am wondering if I am knitting them too loosely?

Angelia
11-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Are they felted enough? That might account for the openings.

It may be that you're knitting them loosely--go down a needle size or two and see if it helps.

Mama Bear
11-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Can anyone tell me the FASTEST place to get the pattern from to the west coast? I have the adult pattern, but I need the children's pattern. We are sub-zero here today and my daughter lives in a pier and beam house. Their floors are cold and I wanted to see if I could get two pairs of these made ASAP for my grandchildren. Slipper socks are helping but warmer would be better.

I know some patterns are sold where you can buy them as pdf's or such. That would be my preference for speed, but I have never seen Fiber Trend Patterns sold that way.

Thanks!

Mama Bear

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Are they felted enough? That might account for the openings.

It may be that you're knitting them loosely--go down a needle size or two and see if it helps.

There aren't holes, per se. They just aren't as "stiff" as the first pair I did. I think I just need to knit a little more tightly maybe. I am going to go down a needle size on the cuff.

mugs
11-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I took a chance and went to my local knitting shop. They had it because it is a very popular pattern. Much faster and I didn't have to pay shipping based on the dollar amount.

Mama Bear
11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks mugs. I appreciate your responding.

My nearest LYS is 2.5 hours away over a mountain pass :teehee: The online stores are my LYS's

If the weather weren't so bad where my mother and sisters live, I might ask one of them to buy me one at a local LYS, scan it and send me a copy, but I'm not asking anyone to drive in the stuff that they have right now.

I was hoping Elann had it, because they often get things here fast, but they don't show it in their list of fiber trends patterns.

I may have to resort to trying to figure out a child's myself from the adult pattern I have, since I really want to do these today. I would rather purchase the pattern though and not have to try my brain that way.

Mama Bear

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm really surprised that with a pattern this popular, they haven't figured out a way to make it downloaded after purchase?

Mama Bear
11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Carmen,

Me too, although with the blue paper they use and such, I wonder if they aren't afraid that after it's in easy to share electronic format, if those who don't respect copyright would share it too freely.

There is also still a lot to be figured out in regards to electronic patterns... like if someone wants to resell their purchased electronic pattern, how would they show that it was a legitimate pattern they could re-sell?

I actually thought about seeing if someone here wanted to sell their child's pattern if they were done with it through paypal, and send me a scan ahead of time or offer to buy them a new pattern if they weren't using theirs now but wanted to keep one, to replace theirs if they sent it to me in the mail and a scan, but decided that was asking a lot of someone and maybe opening a can of worms and my brain started to glaze over thinking of how I would work it all out for the best. :?? :zombie:

I think I way over complicated this and let my desire to do this NOW run away with me. :roll: So I think I should just see what I can do with the adult pattern, or else knit them a pair of super thick slipper socks with a little alpaca and/or possum thrown in for extra warmth.

We are supposed to warm up some after the next few days. We just weren't expecting or really prepared for sub-zero weather this early. Normally if temperatures get this cold we already have a good snowpack on the ground that insulates the foundations, pipes etc.

Keeping my faucest dripping!

Mama Bear

CarmenIbanez
11-29-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't think there is any more inherint risk in electronic patterns than with any other kind. I could make copies of mine and give it away as easily as if I had downloaded it. You know? A lot of the pay for use patterns are downloadable. I think that if you have a genuine willingness to pay for the pattern, but just need it quickly, someone here would probably help you.

Mama Bear
11-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks so much! I just got off the phone to a very nice shop in Oregon that can mail it out TODAY! :happydance:

Chances are it will be here tomorrow or the next day. While my husband may disagree (he knows I'm an impatient person) I should be able to wait that long :nails:

Carmen, I think you are right about the risks not being anymore. I think people either honor copyrights or they don't.

Mama Bear

knitknut
11-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Carmen - I've noticed on the pairs that I have done with the extra 2 rows before the cuff, the cuff looks too big and kind of wonky. But after I have worn them for a while they are fine.

Mama Bear - If you are in a big hurry for warm feet, you could try the Fuzzy Feet pattern on knitty.com. Sorry, I don't know to connect a link. Anyway they are basically a huge pair of socks made of wool and then felted down to size. They knit up quickly and are cozy warm. Of course, the clogs have two soles and are even better against the cold floor!!

humblestumble
11-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Sorry, I don't have any info on where to find them very very fast. I ordered mine from Patternworks, but they dont have the kids size either. I wish they did.

The reason I came to this thread today though, is that I AM VERY FRUSTRATED!

The reason for my frustration is that I have stayed up LATE for the past week (not that it was very awful for me, I quite like staying up late), and I almost completely finished my brother's pair. Well, today I was pointing out that I was almost done to my boyfriend, and he tells and asks me "those look thin, were the other ones that holey?" And my face goes BLANK. I go through the pattern realizing I made a HUGE mistake! I only knit them with one strand held throughout!

So, the rest of the evening I proceeded to sadly take apart all of my hard work and wind it into balls. It made me really wish I had a ball winder. So, I suppose after knitting these, I will be a pro at knitting clogs. I just can't believe how far I'd gotten. I finished one, and was about 75% done with the other.

I am very gracious, however, that Ben brought this to my attention. The clogs wouldve been unsalvagable if thrown in the wash. I woulda been done tonight too! :wall: :verysad:

Angelia
11-30-2006, 09:06 AM
:pout: Oh no!! Glad you caught it pre-felting, though I have been curious what they'd be like knit with one strand. The bags I've knit and felted using only one strand have been sturdy, but I suppose these clogs need to be uber sturdy.

:hug: :hug:

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm so sorry! :hug: :hug: :hug:

That really sucks. I hate it when I make simple mistakes. It happens to all of us.

humblestumble
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
:muah: I'll probably start back up on them tonight. I needed a break after I did all that frogging. I mightve felted them anyway if my brother lived here, but he lives in a very cold climate, so I want to make sure he gets all the warmth he can. I'm just feeling so :doh: And I feel lucky that I have a man that knows my knitting more than I do (although he still can't actually do it himself).

letah75
11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
I cast these on last night, got 3 rows into it and I already have two extra stitches. :wall:

To frog or not to frog that is the question I've been STRUGGLING with all day, much to the detriment of my work.

I have faith that I can do it.....I think.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-30-2006, 08:19 PM
you can do it!!

If it's just 2 extra stitches, just decrease 2 on the next odd (all knit) row. Do that before you go on to the next "wierd" row, so you begin with the right number of stitches.

The felting will cover any fudging you do.... don't worry about it!

humblestumble
12-01-2006, 12:26 AM
I second that!

Jenelle
12-01-2006, 12:47 AM
I can't wait to start these. I got the pattern last week and hopefully soon I can order yarn online. :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
My very first clog class starts on Saturday!! :happydance:

Angelia
12-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Woo hoo on the clog class!! :happydance: :happydance:

Re extra stitches: I have yet to make a clog that has the exact number of stitches it's supposed to. I just decrease, increase, or ignore said stitches (depends on circumstances...and my mood). Felting is a kind of redemption for such knitty mistakes--it's a beautiful thing!

JaniceIA
12-01-2006, 07:39 PM
The first clog I made had one whole section that was purled where it was suppose to be knit and it was larger than the other yada yada (not even sure I could duplicate all the mistakes I made if I wanted to!!) Anyways, decided to trust in the mercy of the felting process instead of frog the whole thing. (I could always knit another one) Anyways, they came out fine!!! On close inspection I can detect a few differences, but I have worn them constantly since and LOVE them!!!

So, a few extra stitches isn't gonna matter one iota. :-)

I LOVE this pattern!!!!!

letah75
12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Ok, you have all convinced me, it's 'not to frog'!

I haven't had a chance to get back to the clog since Wednesday, work sucks! Tonight i will work on it a little more, then Sunday ALL DAY will be knitting, knitting, knitting!!!!!

lauraknits
12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
The first one was difficult for me, I got extra stitches or not enough stitches several times and just increased/decrease to end up with the right number. I just felted them and they are drying. My husband, who couldn't imagine they were actually going to shrink and look like clogs, now wants a pair! The cat wouldn't stayaway from them long enough to take the picture, I finally just included him!

Angelia
12-03-2006, 10:42 PM

They look wonderful!

Kitties love knitting...especially if they should be anywhere near it! :teehee:

Doublereeder2
12-03-2006, 11:41 PM
My husband, who couldn't imagine they were actually going to shrink and look like clogs, now wants a pair!

Mine did the same thing! Now we match. :heart:

I love the colors you chose for yours, Lauraknits. Very pretty combination.

Here is an update on the Plasti-Dip for the soles:

I used the spray on and applied 3 light coats on the soles. After wearing the clogs for a month, they are beginning to get slippery again. I realize now I should have sprayed on more coats. I need to refelt both of ours since they stretched a bit (and I probably was too conservative with the initial felting) and will spray more layers next time. All in all, it does stop the sliding around.

I will use it on the next ones as well..... but applied more generously.

XbelovedXoneX
12-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm planning on making these for my mom & stepdad for Christmas, but I'm a bit stuck on the sizing. I don't want to ask my mommy stepdad's shoe size because it might give the size away! He's a pretty short guy so I think his shoe size is smaller than my husband's, which is a 10 1/2. Do you think I should just cave and ask my mom? :shrug:

letah75
12-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Definately ask. You don't have to tell her why you want to know...You could always go with the "My friend and I were talking, and she said that men who were [insert height here] always have [insert random shoe size] size feet, what size does dad have cause he's that height and I told her she was wrong."
:teehee:

humblestumble
12-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Lovely job, lauraknits! The colors you chose are beautiful!

I started the first sole on the redo clogs last night. I doubt I get to finish this one tonight, but I'm sure going to try. I had to rip out two rows last night! Ugh. (I skipped an entire row, that's why)

XbelovedXoneX
12-04-2006, 01:05 AM
I shall ask! I just thought it would be an awfully odd question to ask off the cuff! Now to decide on colors! :teehee:

Angelia
12-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Asking for shoe sizes out of the blue is odd, but it's kind of fun. I went round to every member of dh's family on Thanksgiving and said "um, what size shoe do you wear?" The looks I got were priceless! "Are we going to have shoe-size trivia later?" one of dh's uncles asked with a gleam in his eye. "Um, we can, but this is for something else," I responed. :rofl:

It stinks that the Plasti-Dip didn't last longer than a month, but with frequent wear, it makes sense, I suppose. I wish the soles FT sells to go with the clogs weren't so expensive! I can't afford 12 pairs of them! :shock:

jessi_9783
12-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I've decided to finally join the party after having both patterns for months. :happydance: The first pair are for me and I'm making the x-small, from the kids version, in WOTA fog for sole/cuff and chambray for the upper. I've got the first clog made and I'm almost done with the second but I can't finish because I'm stumped on the following.

With matching wool and working down center of sole, use a very loose, short backstitch to tack tack the 2 soles together.

I'm not sure where to put it. I know it's supposed to be down the center but do I place it on both sides of the split???

TIA

Angelia
12-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes, both sides so that the soles are sewn up. I go kind of "inside" the stitches on each side so that the seam doesn't show. Just as long as you get the soles sewn shut, how you get there doesn't matter much.

jessi_9783
12-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks Angelia!!!

Angelia
12-04-2006, 01:23 PM
You're welcome Jessi of the Sparkling Christmas Tree! ;)

Doublereeder2
12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
It stinks that the Plasti-Dip didn't last longer than a month, but with frequent wear, it makes sense, I suppose.

Angelia - Actually I think it works great, I just did not apply enough. The third pair I used it on - very generously - is fine. They do not need reapplying.

I am beginning a pair for my SIL - I just asked her what her shoe size was - she didn't asked why or anything (maybe 'cos I emailed her). I also got her some Yaktrax (snow/ice grippies for the shoes) and needed her size. I guess she will have a footloose Christmas this year :present:

Angelia
12-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Oh, it does work well? Oooh! I've been worried because a few people in the family have all wood floors, and I am a bit worried about their safety. :teehee: Where did you get it, a crafts place like Hobby Lobby or Michael's?

mugs
12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Do these come out nice with Patons? I wanted to get WOTA but I don't want to wait so I picked up some patons. Hope it works! I am just not sure I bought enough.

XbelovedXoneX
12-04-2006, 08:29 PM
ok, so I found out my stepdad wears a 9 1/2. So would making the women's sz 10 be the best bet? Thanks again!

Angelia
12-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Yep, I'd go with the 10. The men's 11 might not shrink enough.

Doublereeder2
12-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Do these come out nice with Patons?
Yes - that was what I used on the first two pair.

Re: Plasti-Dip
Where did you get it, a crafts place like Hobby Lobby or Michael's?
I got mine at the local hardware store, not the big orange box store. It is actually a flexible plastic coating for tool handles and rope ends (and various other marine applications.) It comes in clear as well as some fairly obnoxious colors like day-glo orange. I guess people don't want to lose their pliers! It comes in a brush on or spray on application - I used the spray. Just use lots of coats.

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow, that's cool!

letah75
12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Ok, I have a problem. I finished my first clog (almost), but it's crooked!!!!! I have no idea what I did!!!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/letah75/1205061046.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/letah75/1205061047.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/letah75/1205061049.jpg

My first clog is the Hunchclog of Nortedame

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 03:35 PM
What does it look like when it is right side out?

letah75
12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
What do you mean?

One side is wayyyyy bigger than the other side. It's crooked.

If you go to page 20 and look at JaniceIA's you will see that they are simetrical mine are so asymetrical it's disturbing. they are the Charlie Brown Chrismas Clogs.[/b]

Ok, here's the problem. I had the correct amount of stitches on the needle at all times. I followed the pattern religiously, and it's lopsided. :shrug:

I have NO idea where I went wrong, or what I did incorrectly. I'm making the medium, and I have 43 stitches on the needle. Like I'm supposed to. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Sorry sorry. I didn't look closely enough. It looks to me like you were off on where you did your decreases. If they don't end up in the middle, then that might happen.

letah75
12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
darn it!!! I took it to the yarn store, and it's beyond repair. Crap! I'm gonna have to scrap it and do a whole new one.

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
That's terrible! I'm so sorry!

letah75
12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
:pout: Thanks. It's good to have people who understand. My friends are just making fun of me for my poor lopsided clog. they all think it's funny. :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Then I think you should felt it, stuff it with a brick and hit them over the head. Then we'll see how funny they think it is.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-05-2006, 07:59 PM
:shock: CARMEN!!!! :rofl:

Sorry youhave to start over :pout:

Angelia
12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
:hug: :hug: It's terrible that you have to start over!

Andee... :rofl:

letah75
12-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Then I think you should felt it, stuff it with a brick and hit them over the head. Then we'll see how funny they think it is. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I just might...he he he he

Angelia
12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Four pairs completed--eight to go! :oo:

letah75
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Angelia,
You who are I aspire to be. :notworthy:

humblestumble
12-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Great job Angelia! That's a lot of clogs, wow.

I was really wanting to finish up my brothers first clog last night, but something happened and I was about 10 stitches off! :wall: :?? :doh:

So, I have to rip back to some point where I am actually doing well. I was watching TV while I was knitting, so that's probably why I royally messed up. It's so frustrating! The first time I knit these with one strand they went sooo smoothly!

mugs
12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't understand the w&t thing. When I got to the end of row one I didn't have enough stitches to knit 32 without starting to knit the other end. Are you supposed to join here?

humblestumble
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
You are supposed to join after you've knit the sole and after the next two knit rows. Then you follow what it says and W& T (basically just turning your work around seemingly midrow). With each row, the short row shaping will become longer and longer because each time you are knitting one extra stitch at the end of a row.

Does this answer your question? I was a little confused by what you were asking.

mugs
12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
I am knitting a men's large. I am still on row 1. I got to the Knit 32 after the 2 w&t's and I didn't have 32 stitches left to knit. I only had about 26. To get 32 I had to knit into the other end basically joining things. So I think something is really wrong. I did end up with 77 stitches when I was done???

Does this help explain what I am asking? What did I do wrong?

:?? :?? :??

humblestumble
12-06-2006, 06:15 PM
So you are on the second row of the sole?? The first row of this pattern is knit all stitches. The second row of the sole has W & T. I read that there are 31 Stitches to knit for the men's large, if I am looking at the same place you are knitting. You should have ended with 65 Stitches after the second row. If I were you, I'd frog it, if you are where I think you are. You should only be knitting back and forth. From the sounds of it, you made too many stitches. Because when you cast on there are only 67 stitches.

katie09
12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I want to start on these soon. I have both patterns and my yarn is on the way. Now I just need the needles. What needles do you guys use to knit these? So far the only ones I can find that carry both 16" and 24" size 13 is Addi, and I can't really afford to spend $40 on two needles right now.

Ingrid
12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
You only need one needle. :?? And you can knit them on straights--there is only a minor difference and the seam is only about an inch long at the back of the heel.

katie09
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
You only need one needle. :??
Really? The pattern says you need US 13 24" and 16", so I thought you had to have both. Guess I'll just get the 16" then. Thanks.

Ingrid
12-06-2006, 07:58 PM
My pattern just says a US size 13 24 inch circular needle.

mugs
12-06-2006, 09:13 PM
mine calls for 2 needles too. It also says to cast on 69 stitches. My pattern is the revised edition dated 2006. I guess I will start over. Just curious what does frog mean? Not up on all of my knitting jargon yet.

Margaret

Ingrid
12-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I didn't know there was a new edition. :shrug:

Frog means to tear our your knitting. A frog says 'ribbit, ribbit;' sometimes a knitter has to rip-it rip-it. :teehee:

XbelovedXoneX
12-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Mine only says one needle also. It seems to copywrited 2001.

humblestumble
12-07-2006, 12:42 AM
I suppose I have the old version too, maybe that's why I was confused earlier in the post... Where did you guys with the newer edition buy it? Is it the same pattern number?

katie09
12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Mine is also the revised 2006 edition. I got it at the LYS here. The pattern number is AC-33.

I guess maybe I should go ahead and get both needles, just in case. I'd hate to get started only to need the other length and not have it accessible. :shrug:

humblestumble
12-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Wow, man i wish I could see the differences, I wonder how much there is. My pattern number is AC-33x

Angelia
12-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Angelia,
You who are I aspire to be. :notworthy:

:aww: That's very sweet...but please, in the name of wool, NEVER give in to that voice that says "oooooh, I'll knit everyone clogs for Christmas!" :oo:

I only use one needle even though my version of the pattern calls for two. (None of that 3 needle bind-off business for me--too time consuming and just plain awkward.) And I've used a 16" for all so far; the cuff on the women's small barely makes it around the 16", though. Thank goodness I only have to knit one pair that small.

I am, however, VERY frustrated with KnitPicks. They do not measure their yarn very well. I knit one size 8 and had several yards of yarn left over after knitting both uppers, but on the next size 8 pair, I ran out. :grrr: Thankfully I had only one row left, and after felting, I'm sure no one will be able to tell. Still, it's very irritating. :nails:

mugs
12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
My pattern says AC-33 too. I bought it at my local shop, yarn quest.

I started over and it worked! I think I am on the right track now. Thanks for all the help. I am about to switch colors and start the toe and instep shaping.
I can't wait till both are done and I get to try felting. These are for my DH and I was working on them last night he was like what is that? and I was like I am knitting you a sweater for christmas, He said you better not be I won't wear it. He has no idea it is for him or what they are.

:rofl:

Angelia
12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I can't wait to hear reports about the look on his face when you present him the unfelted clogs and say "honey, look, I knit you some slippers!"

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Please do that before you felt them! :twisted:

humblestumble
12-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey I am going to send mine to my brother unfelted. It takes too long for them to dry and I want to send them out by tomorrow or Saturday. It took about 4-5 days for the other pair to dry.

I had to rip back on this SAME clog again! I messed up and I was off by two stitches. By the time I realized it, I was too far into it. But I am somewhat of a perfectionist as well, so I ripped back to the second row of the top color. Adding the two stitches just anywhere would have confused me a great deal considering once you really get into the top, it tells you exactly how many stitches to knit.

BAH. I can't wait for Christmas to be over. I doubt I'll have everyone else's gifts done this year. But i am thinking of a lot of handmade cards to give instead of actual gifts. I'm young and poor, so they'll understand!

Angelia
12-08-2006, 08:47 AM
A handmade card from you, Angela, is a work of art! I'm sure they'll LOVE the cards! :heart:

humblestumble
12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Aw, thanks! :hug:

mugs
12-10-2006, 12:43 PM
SO just curious. When you make 2 color clogs do you cut off the first color when you start the next color? Then start it again when you get to the cuff?

knitknut
12-10-2006, 05:58 PM
The first couple of pair I made, I did cut the yarn and then start it again for the cuff. But then I thought, hmmmmm. So now I do carry it up. It just felts right in and is hardly noticeable. I just pulled off mine and DD clogs to show you. Kinda got one of these from her :tap:

XbelovedXoneX
12-10-2006, 06:21 PM
I just finished Row 33 of the instep shaping row. The directions say the row should end at the beginning of the row marker(heel). However, there's maybe 5 more stitches til I reach the marker. Should I just knit those 5 stitches? and then continue with round: k3, k2tog, knit to end?

I hope that question made sense! I'm making the women's small btw.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
that's what I would do!!

XbelovedXoneX
12-11-2006, 01:23 AM
It worked out no problem! I'm almost done with my first clog! :woot: I am on the part where you join the bumper on. It's late and I'm getting tired so I figured it would be a safe thing to wait. :teehee:

SandraEllen
12-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Question. When you give these as gifts, do you all give them felted or unfelted?

Before i learned the joys of felting, I would have really hated it if someone gave me something unfelted and expected me to felt it.

My problem is that my sister wears 2 shoe sizes bigger than I do. She wears a 9 wide or a 9.5. Is there a specific standard length I can make them to, or do i just have to give them to her unfelted?

humblestumble
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm giving one pair felted and one pair unfelted. My brother lives far away and I dont know anyone with his size feet to measure them out for me when I felt them, so he's getting them unfelted. His fiance on the other hand, has a size foot that i know lots of people with her size feet (not to mention originally I made them for me, but I didn't make the size small enough, so it only felted until it was an 8...woulcnt go past that)

Angelia
12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm felting all of mine, largely because I don't want to explain how to felt. I'm using a shoe-size guide I found online (it's accurate for my feet, so I'm hoping it's accurate for others!). I measure the clogs after they've run through the wash and keep measuring until they're close to what I need. Thankfully wool gives, so if I have felted them a bit small, they'll stretch.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I gave a pair to my mommy and they were a bit small. She just soaked them in hot water for a while and then streched them until they were big enough. Worked like a charm.

You could also MOSTLY felt them, and let them customize when they get them.. but as ANg said, explainging the process might be a PITA.

brendajos
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
i don't know, but i think there is something delightful in the idea of giving them unfelted and telling the person they are slippers! :rofl: If i were to do it, i would package them unfelted with a zippered bag to wash them in. :teehee:

Angelia
12-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Plus it STINKS, and if they don't put the clogs in something, the lint could clog the washing machine's filter. (Some yarns are more linty than others--WOTA's not too bad, but Lamb's Pride is awful.)

jberry16
12-11-2006, 09:52 PM
these look so huge before they felt, are they fairly easy to do? I've got the pattern and yarn, but am just scared to do 'em...not sure why.

Angelia
12-12-2006, 12:55 AM
i don't know, but i think there is something delightful in the idea of giving them unfelted and telling the person they are slippers! :rofl: If i were to do it, i would package them unfelted with a zippered bag to wash them in. :teehee:

You're twisted, Bren! Me likey! :twisted:

They're not scary at all to knit--just take each clog a stitch at a time!

humblestumble
12-12-2006, 05:58 AM
I had no idea where to get a zippered bag :shrug: So I used a pillow case and tied yarn around the opening really tightly. Can anyone enlighten me?

I am going to write out the instructions for my brother. My main thing is I want to get these in the mail early, and I didn't want to send mine wet. They take about a week to dry (at least, his girlfriend's did...poo) So it's easier for me to send them unfelted. So it all depends on your situation.

five_six
12-12-2006, 06:02 AM
you can get a zippered bag at any lingerie shop, if you have one nearby...

humblestumble
12-12-2006, 06:06 AM
ha, I can think of Victoria's Secret, but I've never shopped at a place like that before. I've only browsed. I'm unmarried and young, so I've never seen a need- until now. :teehee:

five_six
12-12-2006, 06:12 AM
well, i'm married and heading out of young, and i don't see the need either... it only comes off after all :oops:

brendajos
12-12-2006, 06:14 AM
go to the store and look for a zippered pillow case cover. or to the laundry section at target or whatever and see if you can find a zippered laundry bag. i bought my pillow case covers at linens and things (or bed and bath....one of the two) and i got little bra bags at target too that are great for little things (especially Icords!)

SandraEllen
12-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I got zippered pillow cases from Walmart. 2 for $3. they were sold as liners and not actual pillow cases.

jberry16
12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I took an old pillow case and sewed a zipper into it

Angelia
12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I got mine as a set somewhere...Linens and Things maybe? I need new ones...the zippers aren't holding up well. Of course felting a zillion things through a couple zillion loads isn't really helping ;)

Wanna see my felted things so far? I've got two more pairs knit and ready to felt, but dh wants to do REAL laundry (:roll:), so the felting will have to wait. :teehee:

I do have six pairs felted, but the sixth I have to reknit. I really messed up on one of them, and unless I mangle dh's uncle's foot, the malformed clog ain't gonna fit him! :rofl:

XbelovedXoneX
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Way to go Angelia!! :cheering: I give you credit, I think my brain would revolt after doing 5 pairs!

I'm so excited, I just finished my first pair!!!! Now to felt them.... I'm so nervous! Mostly because the bumper doesn't look like I expected it to. :shrug: Now to make one more pair for my stepdad!

Angelia
12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
The bumpers on my first pair (the ones I have on my feetsies right now!) are so wonky that I knit all of these giftie clogs bumperless. The bumper is a mystical force that I just was not prepared to face again! :oo:

jessi_9783
12-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Wow Angelia, you are a clog rock star! You're like the next KK! I feel like I should be kneeling before and saying "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy."

spinnknit
12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I'd like to thank those who saw my comment on clogs (General Knitting originally) and took the time to help. I didn't think this hard, but Row 33 WAS a bit confusing for me.

I really enjoy reading some of these comments ..... :roflhard: I think these clogs look like clown shoes unfelted!

*What's REAL laundry? :shrug:

Angelia
12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Wow Angelia, you are a clog rock star! You're like the next KK! I feel like I should be kneeling before and saying "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy."

:roflhard: :roflhard:

You should be praising yourself and saying "I am sane! I am sane!" :rofl:

XbelovedXoneX
12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
The bumpers on my first pair (the ones I have on my feetsies right now!) are so wonky that I knit all of these giftie clogs bumperless. The bumper is a mystical force that I just was not prepared to face again! :oo:

Oi, this makes me hope the gift clogs I make don't come out all wonky because of the bumper! I assumed that's what you had to do if you weren't planning on attaching the suede bottoms.

letah75
12-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I did it!!! My first clog was extreamly crooked, but I did a second one and it worked. My third one is almost done (just have to add the sole and the bumper)!!!!

I am so excited!!!! I will hopefully get to felt them this weekend!!!! YEAH!!!!

They look like Shrek shoes. Shrek green and grey bottom and cuff. They are hideous and I LOVE them!!!

Angelia
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Yay for hideous loveliness!

Please don't let me scare any of you away from the bumpers--the problem is with ME, not with the bumpers.

letah75
12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Here are my 'hideous' clogs. Please note the green is in reality "Shrek" green. :happydance:

Although i have a question. When I joined the cuff with the rest of the clog you can see the color join on the outside. Did I do something wrong?

SandraEllen
12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
they just look inside out to me... :shrug:

Angelia
12-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Yep, they're inside out. I think they look cool like that! Once they're felted, the two-colored purl bumps will all but disappear--only little dark flecks will remain.

letah75
12-15-2006, 11:39 AM
You mean i put the bumper on the inside? so the flat side (with the v's) should be the outside?

SandraEllen
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
yeah. This pair should still turn out fine.

It also looks like your cuff is wrong side out too. I think the cuff tends to curl up so the knit stitches are on the inside, but it looks like your knits are on the outside.

Like I said, though. They should turn out just fine after you felt them.

letah75
12-15-2006, 12:13 PM
:wall:

Crap. :doh:

SandraEllen
12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Don't worry about this pair. I really think they should be fine.

letah75
12-15-2006, 12:36 PM
:-) Well I did the first pair for me. So I know what I did wrong, and I can fix it for the next pair.

Honestly I have always thought the v side was the purl side.....but apparently it's the knit side and the bumpy side is the purl side.

Angelia
12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Yep, the v is the knit stitch and the bumpy one is the purl stitch.

I can't wait to see how these clogs felt, though--I'll bet they are going to look really cool!

Doublereeder2
12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Angelia - you rock, girl!!!! I don't think my one little pair will be done for the Xmas gift I had planned.

Letah75 - Yup - inside out! I did that with my first pair of socks. When you knit in the round, the fabric should be coming toward you, not going away. The needles should be on the away side. Does that make sense?

I bet they will felt up great anyway!! Eveyone's look so good :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mumbling to self: gotta get that one pair done..........

XbelovedXoneX
12-16-2006, 05:45 PM
My first pair of clogs are in the wash felting right now! :happydance:

Angelia
12-16-2006, 07:23 PM
My first pair of clogs are in the wash felting right now! :happydance:

Can't wait to see!!!!

Jenelle
12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm confused about this part:

Join Into Round: Bring the beginning of the last row up onto the point of the left needle, place a marker on needle and knit one complete round, joining work at heel in process.

:??

kitkat
12-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Not sure I have a good answer - somehow I ended up with a wonky extra stitch there that I ended up having to get rid of (almost done with #1 clog). ....

XbelovedXoneX
12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
That row confused me too. So I just disregarded it and joined in the round like I would normally for any project. Worked out fine that way for me!

want2knit
12-17-2006, 12:27 AM
I just got my pattern for these. Hope to get started sometime over Christmas break along with the Sockintine KAL. Wow--I'll have 2 projects going at once! These clogs look so warm and comfy.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Letah did you felt them yet???? I'm excited to see how they look...

kitkat
12-17-2006, 10:34 AM

well I followed the tip i read here where you ignore the third needle idea completely- and use your left needle to dip down and pick up the loop and then knit through both the current stitch and that stitch with your right needle - worked like a charm!!!!!

I started my second one - I am doing a womens large for my 19 year old who has fairy -feet - in University of Michigan colors - no big M on them though like the one poster did - beyond my skill level. they are HUGE!

letah75
12-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Letah did you felt them yet???? I'm excited to see how they look...

No, I'm hoping to get them done this weekend! I started on a second pair, and as soon as I felt the first pair I will post a picture.

Angelia
12-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I just knit a pair with bumpers, kitkat, and did the same thing (no 3 needle bind-off) and it was MUCH easier than the first pair with bumpers. The clogs are felted, and I'm happy to report that the bumper looks normal! :happydance:

I think I've killed our washing machine, though. :pout:

Andrea
12-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I'll have to try this tip on my next one :thinking:

XbelovedXoneX
12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
I was trying to remember that tip before I started my 2nd pair, but I completely forgot to look it up! I'm sure I will end up making another pair sometime so I will have to remember that.

Jenelle
12-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Mine are in the washer felting! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Angelia
12-17-2006, 11:25 PM

I can't wait to see them, Jenelle!!!

Jenelle
12-18-2006, 12:53 AM
So I have a little dilemma. They shrunk, but not enough, and they won't shrink anymore than what they are.

Any ideas?

humblestumble
12-18-2006, 02:16 AM
You mean I am not the only one with wonky bumpers?! I was just going to ask here if anyone else had that problem. It's really bugging me, but I still don't understand what you guys are saying about not doing the three needle bind off. Where are you talknig about? Im lost.

I decided to go ahead and felt my brothers clogs. I wasn't going to, but I have waited and waited to send the package, so I have decided that I will send them felted. I figured I would send them everything that I had originally intended, as I originally intended, instead of half a**.

ETA: I found an online shoe sizing thing and I found out that a 12 is about 11.3 inches, so I might felt my brother's clogs a little more.

Angelia
12-18-2006, 09:27 AM

They look beautiful!! :inlove:

I think that if the bumpers lie funny during the felting process they come out wonky. (Just my theory.) Knitting too many rows also makes them wonky (my first pair had one row more that it should have and is strangely flat).

To attach the bumper without doing the 3n BO:

1. Beginning with the first stitch of the second sole, insert left needle into the outermost purl bump of the first row on the first sole and lift that 'stitch' onto left needle.

2. Knit stitch 1 of first sole together with 'stitch' of second sole; move new stitch to right needle.

3. Insert left needle into the purl bump of the second row of stitch on the first sole; knit stitches together, and move new stitch to right needle.

4. Bind off the first stitch loosely.

Repeat this process all the way around the sole.

Just be very careful--because the sole curves, it's really easy to miss the purl bumps. Once you get the hang of it, though, it flies!

elfwynn
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I finished two more pairs, bringing my total up to four. And I think I'm going to work on some other projects right now. Although these are fun, I've gotten a bit tired of working on them.

Here's a picture of all 4 of them. The blue ones are mine (and the first ones I did). The brown ones (snickerdoodle) are for my mom. The purple/pink ones are for my sister and her daughter.

Angelia
12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Preeeeeeeeeety!!

And tell me about being tired of the pattern. :pout:

Jenelle, I missed your post saying yours haven't shrunk enough--are you sure? Did you let them go through both the hot wash and the cold rinse? (The cold rinse contracts the yarn further by shocking it--thanks to Sara for that tip!) If not, try it and see if it helps.

humblestumble
12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks Angelia. I will try that when I make my pair... whenever that may be. I know eventually I will make some for myself. I was thinking the same thing about the bumper lying funny...My brother's are coming out wavy, but the other ones I made are straight. But they are both flat.

Angelia
12-18-2006, 04:43 PM
The bumper was wavy owing to the m1 stitches, but the waves felted out, thankfully. I still don't really understand the flatness. I wonder if the bumpers could be attached like the cuff so that they are rounded? :thinking:

brin
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM
First of all, thank you so much for this site and the videos and the really inspiring photos of all the projects. I pretty much learned to knit from your website this March/April. Just reading the clogs thread made me go out to my LYS and buy yarn and the clogs pattern. I just love knitting this pattern so far. :muah:

I have done upto row 30. And, I will start with row 31 soon. However, I was looking further ahead in the pattern and I had a question about it. In the instructions for the cuff, what does it mean to

"Fold the cuff to the inside (purl side out), so that the two needles are together. Hold both needles in your left hand. With working needle, *knit together a stitch fromt he fornt needle and a stitch from the back needle,* repeat around, casting off loosely at the same time." In the previous sentence in the pattern, it says to pick up the back purl loops from the first round of cuff on a spare circular needle. So, am I holding both left needles in my left hand? Which one becomes my working needle?

And, also, I have the same problem as Letah. My clog so far looks inside out. I have not done the cuff yet. So, is there any way to save it?

SandraEllen
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Just be very careful--because the sole curves, it's really easy to miss the purl bumps. Once you get the hang of it, though, it flies!

Tell me about it. Twice now I've missed a stitch up near the toe and didn't catch it until I got back to the end and had an extra stitch left on my second sole. It took so long to tink back to it the first time, that i just created an extra stitch on the first sole the second time.
:shrug:

SandraEllen
12-19-2006, 02:06 PM
In the previous sentence in the pattern, it says to pick up the back purl loops from the first round of cuff on a spare circular needle. So, am I holding both left needles in my left hand? Which one becomes my working needle?

And, also, I have the same problem as Letah. My clog so far looks inside out. I have not done the cuff yet. So, is there any way to save it?

You need to pick up the purl bumps with a second (extra) needle. Not the other half of the needle you are currently working with. You will hold two needles in your left hand, and you'll do a 3 needle Bind Off. (Look at the last video on this page (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/bind-off.php).

As for your clogs being inside out, just turn them the other way before you do this bind off. then they will be the right side out.
[/url]

brin
12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Thank you for your help. I am sure I will come back when I am at that part to ask for more ideas.

Is it just my computer or does the 3-needle bind-off video not have any sound?

Angelia
12-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Probably doesn't have sound--several of them don't.

jess_hawk
12-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I haven't bought the pattern or anything so I don't know if maybe that would make things clearer... I'm wondering if alpaca and merino wools would work well? I like the feel of alpaca against my skin - merino isn't bad but alpaca is heavenly - and I'd rather do things like the sole of the clog in merino. Mostly I'm wondering, I've never felted before, will they felt OK and at the same rate and all that? I'd really like a pair of these!

knitknut
12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
:teehee: Two extremes. A felted child extra small with an unfelted large mens. Too funny.

spinnknit
12-21-2006, 04:07 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Andrea
12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh cute!!!

I just felted a pair for my mom this morning. When they're dry, I'll be needle felting some Mickey heads on them. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I haven't bought the pattern or anything so I don't know if maybe that would make things clearer... I'm wondering if alpaca and merino wools would work well? I like the feel of alpaca against my skin - merino isn't bad but alpaca is heavenly - and I'd rather do things like the sole of the clog in merino. Mostly I'm wondering, I've never felted before, will they felt OK and at the same rate and all that? I'd really like a pair of these!

Any 100% animal fiber should work. I wonder though, if the felting process would keep the softness of alpaca. IMHO, I would think that all animal blends would feel the same once they are felted? :shrug: You can always test felt the both of them together in a swatch to see if they felt at the same rate.

brin
12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
An update on my progress. A lightbulb clicked on when I was at the 3-needle bind off stage of the cuff. What I was missing before was the knowledge that the 3 needle bind off is used to seam the two edges of the cuff together. Now I have that part done and it is all coming together well. :woohoo:

kitkat
12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I need to have 2 pairs substantially done by the 27th (the day my kids get back from their dads - he has them this year for Christmas) _ I am almost done with pair #1. I am going to give unfelted. Pictures to be posted later!

Jenelle
12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Jenelle, I missed your post saying yours haven't shrunk enough--are you sure? Did you let them go through both the hot wash and the cold rinse? (The cold rinse contracts the yarn further by shocking it--thanks to Sara for that tip!) If not, try it and see if it helps.

Yeah after I posted here, I immediately took them out of the washer, and stuck them in a sink filled with cold water. After that they shrunk fine.

knitknut
12-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Brin - It is always nice when the light bulb comes on and things start making since. :happydance:

Kitkat - You can do it!! Kids clogs go pretty fast.

I have one more pair to add the second sole to and I'm ready for Christmas!! :woohoo:

Here are some recent FOs of mine:

Angelia
12-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Preeeeeeeeeeeeeety!!! :inlove:

(I love the wee clog inside the HUGE one! :rofl:)

kitkat
12-23-2006, 01:39 AM
I figure if I dont get the second soles done, not the end of the world - am on #3 now............. luckily these are teenagers and they will understand plus they know what my last month has been like!

spinnknit
12-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Just wondering. What is the purpose of the bumper? Since these are slippers, wouldn't a bumper get knocked a bit simply by scuffing around? They DO look nice, though. I've only put on the normal double sole. Is there a purpose for the bumper besides style?

Angelia
12-23-2006, 11:06 PM
The bumper makes the sole a bit wider, but really it just seems to be a style feature.

Andrea
12-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Here's my Mom's Christmas present...I needlefelted the Mickey heads on there post-drying! :happydance:

Angelia
12-24-2006, 09:28 AM
I love them!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-24-2006, 10:39 AM
:cheering:

kitkat
12-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Those look GREAT!

Angelia
12-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Those who got their clogs today loved them!!! (I distributed 8 pair today.) I gave everyone else cloggie IOUs and will get them all out in the next few weeks (have to place another KP order...pity, that...:teehee:).

XbelovedXoneX
12-25-2006, 11:26 AM
My parent's LOVED their clogs too.... It was such a great feeling to see their reaction! They opened at the same time and Ooohhed and Ahhed. When I told them that I made them they said in unison "You made them?!!!" Definitely a warm feeling. :cheering:

Angelia
12-25-2006, 12:28 PM
It is a warm feeling!! :heart: I meant to take a pre-felted clog with me to show what they looked like 'before', but I forgot it. Rob kept trying to explain the magic of felting, but he couldn't. Finally, his grandmother had a lightbulb moment and said "oh, like boiled wool!" Then his aunt explained how she'd accidentally felted a king-size woven afghan (it had been in a housefire and reeked of smoke, so she washed it). She said it would have made a nice, thick, 3x5 horse blanket...:teehee:

kitkat
12-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Well I am almost through #3 (need to have 4 done by the 27th) and took them with me to the family celebration today - I think everyone wants a pair for next year - so if I am smart I will just keep on knitting right now because unfortunately my biggest knitting time of year starts now! I should easily have the 4 done by when my boys come home for their Christmas with me (the joys of divorce - kids get two Christmases!!!).

I did give two felted bags that were huge hits! I think some people would like some of those too.....

So.....who should get pair #3? All in favor of it being ME say AYE!!!!!

Angelia
12-26-2006, 09:36 AM
:waving:

AYE!!!

They are sooooooooooooooooooo cozy!!!

letah75
12-26-2006, 04:55 PM
AYE!!!!

kitkat
12-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Oh you frisky girls!

My two pairs are done for tomorrow (they need the second sole but the boys will get the idea) - I will take a picture of them pre-felted by the guys feetsies!

Angelia
12-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Yay!!! Can't wait to see them!

knitknut
12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
AYE!!!

The Mickey heads are awesome.

Where can I learn to needlefelt? I'm gonna have to put that on my must learn how to do list.

RuthK
12-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I just ordered some WOTA and the kids' pattern for these clogs yesterday - I'm ready to get started! I've only been knitting a few months, so is there anything in particular I should be practicing, as far as techniques go, before the pattern comes? I haven't done short rows before, but they seem understandable to me. I've never done any seaming... can someone point me to a pattern or something I could practice while I wait? I'm itching to get going! Everyone's clogs are so cute.

chickenhillfarmer
12-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Just joined up! I'm in on the clog fever! I found the patons classic yarn is wonderful and on sale for 3.50 online at JoAnn fabrics. Also new WOTA colors at knitpicks on sale starting Jan. 17th I think, great new colors! Also JoAnns had some non-skid slipper bottoms and also walmart sells those slipper socks 1.99 will be enough for a few pair of clogs, just cut apart and sew/glue on the bottoms of the clogs. Thanks Debbie for the help with the pattern. xxx

chickenhillfarmer
12-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I've read some of the colors and brands of yarns everyone is using. It's hard to read through ALL the postings. Please post the colors and the brands you are using and how they worked out for you? Did you knit a Bumper on or leave it off? Has anyone made it with just one thin sole instead of a thick one? :??

Angelia
12-30-2006, 03:03 PM
WOTA (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420103/yarn_display) is the most common yarn used for the clogs, though any yarn that felts will work. WOTA just happens to be inexpensive and comes in really delicious colors.

I recommend two soles--they flatten as they're worn, plus they will wear out eventually; two soles help them last longer.

Bumpers, as far as I can tell, are optional. I made a bunch without them and the clogs look just fine--the difference in appearance is negligible.

brin
12-30-2006, 08:08 PM
The knitting part is done thanks to all of you! :happydance: Tomorrow is going to be the big felting day. This will be my first felting project so a lot of unknowns.

Andrea
12-30-2006, 08:49 PM
They look PERFECT, Brin!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Where can I learn to needlefelt? I'm gonna have to put that on my must learn how to do list.

I bought a kit from Fiber Trends and just winged it :shrug: For the MM heads I used teaspoons (now I know they're good for something...I'm not a cook :teehee: )

XbelovedXoneX
12-30-2006, 09:06 PM
I learned how to needle felt basically from this site: http://www.mielkesfarm.com/ladybug_dir.htm

It's pretty hard to screw up, just make sure to watch your fingers! :teehee:

kitkat
12-31-2006, 01:33 AM
I felted #1 son's tonight - he is leaving for school on the 3rd - I promise to post a picture of them. Not too bad for my virgin effort. #2 son's are complete except for the second sole. I was analyzing my stash to see what I can do for my nieces and nephews birthdays.

I have two questions - well, one is more a statement. I kinda blew off that 3 needle thing on the bumper. I just used my left needle, picked up the loop with the tip and then knitted it with my right needle, making sure I picked up both the original loop and the new loop. It wasnt quick, but it wasn't hard, if that makes sense. Is that ok? (it looked ok when felted - and darned if I want to futz with 3 needles).

Second - what happens if you use different yarns? #1 son's were out of Cascade. #2's sons are out of Patons. I have a buttload of WOTA, Patons, and Cascade - will I be able to mix and match these a bit or do I need to stay with one brand per pair of clogs?

Angelia
12-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Andrea...about those teaspoons... :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Brin, your clogs look beautiful!!! :inlove:

Kitkat, that's exactly how I do the bumper (or just attach the second sole) and it works just fine! The effect is exactly the same as the 3 needle bind-off, so why futz with those extra needles? People have broken needles doing the 3 n BO on these clogs--our way is much easier and does no damage! :happydance:

As to using two different yarns, I did that with my first pair (on the upper) and all was well. Your clogs should be fine.

gardenmommy
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
OK, I have decided to ride along on the clog bandwagon...I have had the pattern for a while now and after hemming and hawing about what to make some relatives for Christmas (which we haven't even had yet on my side of the family!), I'm going to make three pairs of clogs. Two of them will be with just Paton's Classic Merino (one pair dark gray with black, one pair red with black), and another pair will be with some Wool-Pak in Aubergine, a purply-wine color, which is basically the Baabajoe's Wool-Pak, but this is 8-ply, not the 10-ply. I"m thinking of triple-stranding it since it is supposedly a DK-weight...do you think that will work? Yes, I guess I should swatch.

Also I was at Joann's last night buying said PCM, and asked about slipper bottoms, and they didn't have any, or so said the saleslady, I didn't actually look, but they did have the fabric for feet like for kids' footed pajamas, white with the little rubbery dots on it. So I think I am going to cut out foot-shaped pieces and attach those to the bottoms some how, probably with fabric glue and sewing.

kitkat
12-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Is the PCM on sale? (doubt it) I should probably pick up some black and dark grey for the guys clogs bottoms. I am glad to see that they are carrying a more varied selection than they used to. I was wondering how the clogs would look in the some of the multi's they have.

gardenmommy
12-31-2006, 11:21 AM
It *is* on sale for 3.99 (instead of regularly 5.99). If you order it on line, if you get more than 8 skeins, it is another 20% off I think. I just bought mine locally though. The Joann's near me has a pretty limited color selection though.

kitkat
12-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Oh wow. I better go today then!

ChrissyB
12-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone. I thought I would share some pictures of the 11 pairs of clogs I made for christmas, mostly kid sizes, some in kool aid dyed kp wota and some in patons, and some in cascade 220, they were a huge hit with the kids! :cheering: :cheering: And for anyone still looking for slipper soles, I bought a tub of paint on non slip rug backing at AC Moore, 2 coats and it worked like a charm! I got a little bored with the pattern after a total of 13 pairs, but it really is easy to knit, so anyone still thinking about it, go for it!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Chrissyb2411/IMG_2750.jpg[/url]
IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Chrissyb2411/IMG_2754.jpg[/IMG]
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Chrissyb2411/IMG_2752.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Chrissyb2411/IMG_2751.jpg

Angelia
01-01-2007, 09:36 AM

Fantastic!!! I love the colors you chose--those orange ones are particularly cool!

brin
01-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my pre-felted clogs! I just finished felting them. It took about 20 minutes and looks fabulous. I have set it outside to dry. I will post the new photos tomorrow.

I could not have done this project without the amazing inspiration and resources that you provided through this site and forum! So, thank YOU.

kitkat
01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
You are my hero! I have two pairs complete - one felted, one not, and I am overwhelmed already with the list of people who want them for next year. Unfortunately most of the people who do are teenage boys - think male large size. UGH!

Angelia
01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Ugh indeed! :help:

But it's great that they've been such a hit! :happydance:

JaniceIA
01-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Just finished my fourth pair of clogs. I LOVE this pattern. Each time it has gotten easier and I have so much more confidence as I am knitting.
This pair is for my oldest son who wanted brown/pink clogs (he's 22 and claims to be a 'trendsetter' :-) We'll see.... They are fun!!

I have enjoyed seeing all the fun clogs people have been making!!

kitkat
01-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Well, I will find out how forgiving felting really is. With #2's pair, it was clear I was going to run out of yarn for the second sole - so I used some of my other yarn for the interior part. Somewhere in there, I got my 7 rows, but I got them backwards for a row.....(meaning it looks like I purled an entire row rather than knit it). The bumper is fine, and is the right color - although it ended up being about 2 stitches off - probably something with that wonky row.....I was focused on not running out of yarn hehehe. I honestly think it will be fine or else I would have torn it out. I will take a picture of the squidgy part :rofl: :rofl:

Once #1 son gets home from the Rose Bowl with his new camera, I will have him take some pictures so I can post. My camera has dead batteries.

2 pairs down!

Angelia
01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Janice, those are lovely!! It's fantastic that your son wanted pink clogs! :thumbsup:

Kitkat, you'll be amazed at how forgiving felting is!

LadyB
01-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm new to the board, and I confess I haven't yet gotten through all 33 pages of this yet, but I would love to participate in making these and was wondering where I could get the pattern? Thanks in advance!

Angelia
01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the forum! :waving:

You can get the pattern online in several places--I got mine from here (http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?pName=fiber-trends-felted-clogs-pattern-ac33x-slippers&cName=by-designer-fiber-trends), my LYS!

LadyB
01-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks Angelia! :hug: You're the best. :thumbsup:

Angelia
01-02-2007, 09:34 PM
:aww:

You're welcome!

mugs
01-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Just felted my first pair of clogs yesterday. I am pleased with how they came out. I just had one problem though part of my seam came out inside on the sole so I hope that doesn't bother my DH when he is wearing them. I just don't know how to fix it now that they are flelted. I think its better if I just let it go. Anyone else have ends come out? I have a string hanging should I just cut it off? How would you fix something with needle felting?

I will post pics tomorrow.

Angelia
01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Oh, if it's just a string, cut it. Nothing will unravel or anything. My ends come unwoven sometimes during the agitation in the wash. I just clip them when the felting is done.

Panhandle Jane
01-03-2007, 04:23 PM
How do I know how when to stop felting if I don't have the actual foot there to try the clog on? Is there a chart somewhere? :??

Angelia
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I used this (http://www.softmoc.com/us/shoesize.asp) when felting mine, and it worked like a charm. I made the clogs the lengths listed--I figured it was better that the clogs be a bit snug and form to the wearer's foot than be too big. My plan worked!

Panhandle Jane
01-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Is there a link missing?

Kiri
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm planning on ordering some WOTA to make these clogs, but I'll need to order larger needles as well.

What size needles (KP Options) give gauge with WOTA?

Thanks,
-Kiri.

brin
01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Here is my first pair of felted clogs! I have a huge order from knitpicks full of WOTA arriving soon. :oops:

Angelia
01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Is there a link missing?

Nope--just click on the blue word "this" in my previous post--links here are normally blue unless someone changes the font somehow. We do that because some website urls are so long they cause the pages to stretch really wide.

That's not the case with the one I linked to, though:
http://www.softmoc.com/us/shoesize.asp

Yay Brin!! :cheering: :cheering: You've got clog fever!!

Kiri, I use size 15 Options and don't pay attention to gauge--I just focus on what happens during felting.