PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trend Clogs-2006 and 2007

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

SandraEllen
01-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Kiri, I use size 15 Options and don't pay attention to gauge--I just focus on what happens during felting.

Hmm... now you've got me wondering. I use size 13 Options and don't pay attention to gauge. I don't have the pattern in front of me, but do they recommend a specific gauge?

Kiri
01-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Hmm... now you've got me wondering. I use size 13 Options and don't pay attention to gauge. I don't have the pattern in front of me, but do they recommend a specific gauge?

The pattern says approximately 11 sts = 4" (unfelted).

Andrea
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
The pink/purple clogs ROCK!

letah75
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Ok, I finally felted my clogs and while the color seems a bit off (in the picture) they are green and grey. I had them inside out, but they look really cool, and I am in love!

They are still drying and I can't wait until they are done. They are not the best pictures, but I don't have a digital camara.

Also how many skeins of WOTA does it take for a pair of clogs? I've been using Paton's Classic Wool.

Angelia
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Letah, they're beautiful!!! :inlove:

yay for you!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

letah75
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Darn it all to heck!!!

I couldn't wait to find out how many skeins it takes......so :wall: :wall: :wall: <----me (stupid, stupid, NO, not stupid...addicted, addicted) I went to knitpicks and I ordered 5 skeins each of 6 different colors, and two skeins of a 7th color. That's right 32 SKEINS!!!!!!!

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! I have NO MORE room for all of this yarn. Sigh, I will just have to comendeer a room in my neighbor's appartment, that's it, I'm taking over their baby's room, he's little, he'll fit in the closet, right?

Letah, they're beautiful!!!
THANKS!!! This is only the 3rd thing I've felted, and they felted quite nicely, but didn't quite shrink enough. So I bit my nails and shoved the in the dryer for 2 minutes, and sure as my screen name is Letah75, they came out ok! :woot:

brin
01-04-2007, 09:09 PM
The pink/purple clogs ROCK!

Thanks. I originally wanted to make it purple/pink clogs but miscalculated the amount of yarn needed and got 2 skeins of purple and 1 of pink. Thankfully, I realized before starting the knitting and was able to start with the right yarn.

Letah, your clogs look great.

mugs
01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE THESE TO DRY? ANY SUGGESTIONSON SPEEDING UP THE PROCESS?

kitkat
01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
#1 son modelling his cloggies.

SandraEllen
01-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Also how many skeins of WOTA does it take for a pair of clogs? I've been using Paton's Classic Wool.

For future reference, for a womens size, it takes 4 skeins of WOTA for the base color and 2 skeins of WOTA for the top.

I don't know about mens sizes...

SandraEllen
01-05-2007, 01:39 PM
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE THESE TO DRY? ANY SUGGESTIONSON SPEEDING UP THE PROCESS?

I have a friend that told me that she stuffed newspaper in hers and they only took a day to dry. I was floored.

kitkat
01-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Mine have taken about 24 hours to dry. I stuff them with newspapers or with old shopping bags (the plastic kind).

Unfortunately I have found that WOTA is the least wasteful of the yarns to use because Cascade and Patons both have 200+ yards - so if you go into an extra skein you can have alot left over.

jhelanee
01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I have done 3 pairs (in three different yarns) and mine all took about 24-48 hours to dry completely. Two things I do to help speed up the process:

1. I let the washer start into its spin cycle. After the clogs are felted to just about the right size in hot water, I reset my washing machine to start at the rinse cycle (to get the soap out) and then let it go into the spin portion. I don't let it go too long so I don't get creases that don't come out, but this really helps remove excess water to start with.

2. I have thrown the felted clogs in the dryer for a short time to "jump-start" the drying. I usually use medium heat for 15-20 min or so. Too hot or too long and they may shrink more and end up too small!

I actually have not stuffed mine with anything. I just pull them out, shape them by hand and let them sit on a wooden drying rack (so air circulates around the soles). All have been stiff enough post-felting that they held their shape without any stuffing.

letah75
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
For future reference, for a womens size, it takes 4 skeins of WOTA for the base color and 2 skeins of WOTA for the top.

I don't know about mens sizes...

Thanks. Well with 32 skeins, I think I'll have enought. :happydance:

spinnknit
01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!

I just finished my first pair of clogs (didn't bother to check gauge!) and, with the help of some nice folks here, got past some confusing directions and did the deed! :happydance:

Now, here's the funny part. I used my handspun. Not just WOOL handspun either; but a wool/mohair combo. Care to guess how fuzzy? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But....... it worked. It worked. It worked!!!!

Still, I think I may use 100% wool the next time. :teehee:

knitknut
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Here is my latest pair. Coal and chocolate WOTA with pecan fun fur.

When drying mine, I usually set them on a baking rack placed on top of a bucket or bowl in front of a fan. They are usually dry overnight.

Someone mentioned they had a problem with the seam coming undone while felting. I had that happen to me on the first few that I did, too. Then I started leaving tail long enough to be able to do a loose running stitch through each cast on stitch. I haven't had the problem since. Hope that makes sense and you can see the pic ok since the only pair I currently have that isn't felted yet is black! I may make a lighter color over the weekend, if so I'll try to get a better pic on Monday.

Angelia
01-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Oooh, those are gorgeous!! :inlove:

I dry mine in front of fans--it takes about 12 hours for the clogs to dry completely, and that includes the extra time that results from the bags I use to block them--the insides are still damp. (I take the bags out about midway through and have the air from the fan blow right inside the clogs.)

Marni
01-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Sooooo, using the shoe size guide (http://www.softmoc.com/us/shoesize.asp) for a man's 8.5-9 size shoe I should just follow the pattern for a women's size 8 which, according to the chart, is the equivilant of a men's size 10... which is close enough, eh? Yeah, I'm thinking out loud and looking for someone to agree with me. Whatcha' think?

Angelia
01-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Yep, Marni, that's what I did! They turned out just fine.

Dilly
01-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Sooooo, using the shoe size guide (http://www.softmoc.com/us/shoesize.asp) for a man's 8.5-9 size shoe I should just follow the pattern for a women's size 8 which, according to the chart, is the equivilant of a men's size 10... which is close enough, eh? Yeah, I'm thinking out loud and looking for someone to agree with me. Whatcha' think?

Actually, I think you've got it backwards. The chart is deceiving and you can't actually read it across. A woman's size 8 shoe only equals a foot length of 9 11/16".

A man's size 9 shoe equals a 10 5/16" foot. That same foot length for a female is a women's size 10 shoe, so you would need to use a women's size 10 size for the clogs.

I might be wrong, but I'm interpreting things backwards from what you read.

RuthK
01-08-2007, 10:23 AM
I finally got my pattern and yarn and started my first pair of clogs this weekend! I'm doing a child's medium, so it knits up fast, which is good, because I have a short attention span. I finished the cuff on the first one last night, but decided to go to sleep before I tried the bind-off method everyone's suggested. I had a feeling it wouldn't go well since I was sleepy. :)

Stupid question - how do you seam up the soles? I don't know what an overstitch is, and Google isn't helping me out.

chickenhillfarmer
01-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Here's my first clog before felting a mens size med. done in patons forest with a brown bottom. I will use one skein of forest and 2 skeins of brown for these two. I didn't add the bumper on this one. I rewrote the pattern so I can read it better and not get lost on the blue paper. xxx

Marni
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Actually, I think you've got it backwards. The chart is deceiving and you can't actually read it across. A woman's size 8 shoe only equals a foot length of 9 11/16".

A man's size 9 shoe equals a 10 5/16" foot. That same foot length for a female is a women's size 10 shoe, so you would need to use a women's size 10 size for the clogs.

I might be wrong, but I'm interpreting things backwards from what you read.

:frog: Oh crap-o-la... I believe you're right. I never even compared the actual foot length in inches. I was just reading across the chart, which I now see is not the way to do it. I was just about to join the new yarn after finishing the first sole. :pout: It's still fun though (except for row 2)! I should have checked back here before starting! Thanks for the input.

kitkat
01-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Ok - here is a question for you all-----I just felted #2's cloggies last night - sole was WOTA and top was Patons - dang those guys were alot fuzzier than the cascade. Is that normal? Or did I agitate too much? I trimmed alot of the fuzz and I know some of it will go away as they dry but holy cow they looked like yeti feet!

Maria V
01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
I am new to the site--loved reading about the clogs how do I get the pattern?
Maria

letah75
01-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's my first clog before felting a mens size med. done in patons forest with a brown bottom.

OMG, I just did a clog with the EXACT same colors and I love it!!!!!!!!!!! That is soooo funny. I just finished it, and decided to check how everyone is doing, and lo and behold, there is my clog.

Marni
01-09-2007, 10:24 PM
KitKat, my first (and only completed ones) I did came out pretty fuzzy. I loved the fuzzy look though! After wearing them the fuzz calms down a lot and after their first washing, they didn't fuzz back up nearly as much as the first felting.

Angelia
01-10-2007, 07:51 AM
My first pair (the ones on my feetsies now!) were knit with WOTA and something with mohair, so they had a bit of fuzziness at first. Eventually, that fuzziness flattens out. (Same is true with the Lucy bag I knit in Lamb's Pride, notorious for its fuzziness.) If the fuzzies really bother you, you can always give the clogs a little 'haircut'. :teehee:

kitkat
01-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I trimmed the clumps - they will be fine - I was just surprised at the difference in the amount of fuzzle!

Angelia
01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
fuzzle....:rofl:

JLC
01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought both the children's and adult's patterns. I found some stash yarn and decided I'd do a children's one first to get the idea of the pattern. I have the first one done and I'll at least start on the second one tonight. I can't wait to felt them! I did the small, and I'm not sure if they will fit my youngest son or not, so they may end up as a gift to :shrug: . I had my mom pick out some cascade 220 at the LYS the other day and I plan on making hers for her birthday in February. I'll post before and after pics once I get them done.

kerilld
01-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello All,
I tried to continue knitting while my two boys were up from their naps and have hit a snag due to "mom brain" which only allows me to know where Thomas the Train was last set down and how to sing along to the Wiggles. I am working on the clogs and actually got the right number of stitches done for the first row. For the second row, it is just to knit. Easy, right?!? Well, it is done on circulars (as you all know) and try as I might it looks like I will join it when I do row 2, and it is too early to join. What do I do/ how do I hold the needles and yarn, so that I don't join too early and can still work back and forth on my circulars? Thanks for any help you can offer! (I am taking a class on these, but there was a scheduling snafu and instead of starting this past Sat. I have to wait another week, so I figured I'd start out on my own and see how I did. So, this isn't life or death, but I'd sure love to continue with these!)

Angelia
01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
If you're knitting the sole, you don't join it--just knit back and forth as if you were using straights. You won't join until you start the upper.

lauraknits
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
switch hands. The yarn you are knitting with should come off the needle in your left hand. Done it myself!

Pat in NW Alabama
01-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Try putting a marker one stitch in from each end so you know when you are reaching the end of the row.

kerilld
01-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Thank you all for your replies to my earlier question! I have poor spatial recognition I think and sometimes have a hard time visualizing things. Thank goodness for these forums and videos!

My new question is this - i have finished the rounds of the cuff (knit one round, purl five rounds) and have a question about the next part. #1 - "pick up the back purl loops of the first round of the cuff" - is this where my color change can be seen? #2 - am I folding the cuff in and down so that I wind up sewing it together? #3 - is this then a 3 needle bind off?

Many thanks! :notworthy:

knitknut
01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes, yes and yes. But, it doesn't have to be worked as a 3 needle bind off. You can pick up the stitches one at a time and knit them together as you bind off. I find that is easier than dealing with all the needles and knitting in my hands at once.

kblue
01-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Hello so i FINALLY recieved my pattern in the mail :happydance: and i wanted to ask if anyone have made these using sz 13 straight needles instread of circular ones. I have 16 inch circulars in a smaller size. I know the clogs can be done on either kind of needle (thank goodness) so i guess i wanted to know, between straight and circular, which is better to use or which do you prefer?

I'm affraid :help: to go to the store to buy just the sz 13 16inch circular needles because since i have no will power i'll probably come out of the store buying TONS and TONS of yarn and TONS and TONS of knitting accessories :doh: :shifty:

:noway: <---- my DH :teehee:

Angelia
01-18-2007, 04:14 PM
As long as you're not knitting children's clogs, the 16" circs will be fine--that's what I use for all of the adult pairs I knit.

I know what you mean about the self-control problem...:shifty:

mugs
01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I finally uploaded the pic of my finished clogs. Here they are on my Dh's feet. I still have to get a pic of him wearing them after they were felted.

Angelia
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM

They look great! I can't wait to see them felted!

(I love the clown-shoe look of unfelted clogs...it makes me giggle every time I see it!)

MMK
01-20-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm sure this has been posted at some point on one of the mondo-clog-threads, but I just discovered something. I accidentally made my last pair of clogs in size large instead of medium. I felted them to fit, and this made a much sturdier fabric. I think I like this mistake.

I took my unfelted clogs to school to show the other teachers who have just started knitting. They think felted clogs would be a great science fair project!

Deeknit
01-20-2007, 08:22 AM
OH, that's a great idea.

I'll save that one for my son's first science fair project or my daughters. They will both have a project to do next year. Can they both do the same project at the same time???? It sure would be easier on Mom.....

Angelia
01-20-2007, 04:11 PM
:teehee:

Kirochka
01-21-2007, 02:30 PM
This has probably been asked a million times... sorry for repeating... but what the :!!!: are the "back loops"??

I did something last night that might or might not have been right (thank God it's going to be felted...) - the back loop thing and the bind off thing... but I have no idea if it was really right. What exactly are the back loops? And you just thread them onto the second circular, right, it's not like picking up stitches from the working yarn and knitting with that, right...? :?? :?? :?? :wall:

My progress so far... :teehee:

spinnknit
01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
I think the back loops are the backs of the color change when switching from sole knitting to the instep.

Btw, I believe there was some comments much, much earlier in this thread about different pattern numbers (?) for the clogs. AC33 and AC33x? I recently was in a LYS that had the older pattern! If I had to choose between the two (and yes, you DO get the same result), I would take the AC33, as it seems to be clearer (both literally and figuratively). Printed on white paper, too!

The pattern was at The Mannings when I visited there this past Friday. I know they do some small amount of mail order, so if anyone is interested, I guess you should specify you want AC33.

www.the-mannings.com

Kirochka
01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm doing single-color clogs, so I'm still confused... :??

Quiltlady
01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I just ordered the Clogs pattern. After hearing and reading so much about them I decided to give them a try. :cheering: :cheering:

Can anyone tell me how much yarn I will need to make a women's size 11?? I'd like to get my yarn while I'm waiting for the pattern to arrive in the mail. Thanks for any help. :happydance:

I just read the above post about trying to get the AC33 pattern and NOT the AC33x. Well the one I bought is the x. Can anyone explain what the difference is in the two as far as the directions go??

spinnknit
01-25-2007, 01:57 PM
IMO, the directions in the older pattern are more explicit. I think the older one had 4 pages of directions as opposed to the newer one with 2 pages on dark paper plus a small insert detailing bumpers and how to add on the second sole.

Whichever, you'll still wind up with the same finished product.

mugs
01-25-2007, 03:20 PM
How much do you need to make a women's small? I used patons for my last pair of mens'. I am placing a big knitpick's order today.

dustinac
01-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Karen, I love the picture behind you.. it is Fred and Ginger right?? I love them!!! :teehee: I'm a classic movie freak...

Kirochka
01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Good eye! :cheering: Yes, it's what a friend of mine refers to as "the scene where they dance" - i.e. "Cheek to Cheek" from Top Hat. My parents got me the poster, which was to advertise an exhibit at the Costume Institute at the Met in the 1980s (unfortunately, I didn't see the exhibit).

dustinac
01-25-2007, 04:04 PM
:cheering: I thought so!! I now have when we are off together dancing cheek to cheek in my head.. lol gonna have to drag out the CD to hear it again...

:teehee: ok back to clog talk I got side tracked..

Kirochka
01-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Apparently talking about Fred & Ginger is much easier for me than knitting clogs... just :!!!: ed up the second one and have frogged it... starting again tonight on #2!! :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I thought you were talking abotu MY Fred and Ginger for a second!!!! :doh:

:yay: you can do it Karen!! :yay:

Angelia
01-25-2007, 08:08 PM
How much do you need to make a women's small? I used patons for my last pair of mens'. I am placing a big knitpick's order today.

Not sure if you'll get this in time, but you need 6 skeins of WOTA (600 yds), two for the upper, four for the soles/cuffs/bumpers.

mugs
01-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Anyone know where you can buy that paint on rug backing online. I looked at my local Michael's but they didn't have it. Don't really have alot of other craft store choices around here can you get it anywhere else?

brin
01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
I bought mine from my local Ace Hardware store. It was in the same aisle as the spray paints. And, it works pretty well. If you want me to, I can get the name of it later on.

mugs
01-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks so much! I found out the name was fiber-lok and I called Ace and they have it!!!! I am going to get some tonight.

brin
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Hmm, what I have is called Super Grip by Performix. It is a spray on non-skid fabric coating.

Quiltlady
01-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I got my pattern in the mail day. The Knitting Diva here is fast with delivery. I was thrilled. I'd shop with her again!!
:happydance:

I was able to change my other order "someplace else" to the children's pattern. So now I won't have two of the same. That order is coming from Canada. :happydance:

I just ordered two pretty colors of wool yarn from Knit Picks for my clogs. I got their WOTA. Can't wait to get them. :cheering: :cheering:

Angelia
01-29-2007, 11:14 PM

What colors did you order?

Quiltlady
01-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Angela, I ordered the "Cherry Blossom" for the main color and the "Avocado" for the trim. I was hard choosing. I like so many of their colors. If these come out well I'll knit a pair for my 3 yr. old gd. :happydance:

sittenknitten
01-31-2007, 02:23 AM
I've stayed up late tonight finishing the second clog of my very first pair.

Thanks to the info posted in this and the older thread, I managed them without ripping and both bumpers are pointed in the same direction, too. :happydance: Done up in Lamb's Pride, the tops are turquoise and the cuffs, bumper, and soles are chocolate brown.

The bug has bit hard, I've already ordered some WOTA for another pair, the children's pattern (can't deprive the grandchildren of clogs like mine, now can I?), and scrounged up enough yarn from the stash for two *more* pairs.

My name is Sittenknitten and I am a clog-a-holic. :rofl:

sittenknitten
01-31-2007, 10:26 AM
OK, I'm replying to my own post... :eyebrow:

Here are my clogs, I can hardly WAIT to wear them!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/herbgal/Knitting/Firstclogsbeforefelting.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/herbgal/Knitting/Firstclogsfelted.jpg

Edited to resize...

Angelia
01-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Angela, I ordered the "Cherry Blossom" for the main color and the "Avocado" for the trim. I was hard choosing. I like so many of their colors. If these come out well I'll knit a pair for my 3 yr. old gd. :happydance:

Oooh, those colors are beautiful together!!! :inlove: Avocado is my favorite WOTA color (I love me some green!)

Sittenknitten, those look fantastic!!! :woot: I knit a pair using the same two colors, only I mixed the brown and blue on the upper! They're going to felt beautifully!! Happy to hear you're a clog addict... :roflhard:

Kirochka
01-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Two more rows to go on the second sole of the second clog, attach, seam, tack both soles, felt... and DH should have clogs! And also of course, I think I'll end up with an extra skein of WOTA... I seem totally and completely incapable of ordering the correct amount of yarn for any project (but as Angelia has pointed out, at least I'm not generally ordering too little).

I also need to get the suede soles, otherwise DH is going to slip on our wood floors and brain himself... can't have that.

I love the colors you all have used! I'm making single-color clogs to start with (Forest Heather for DH - can't remember what mine will be, something blue I think), but I like the way two colors look much better... someday!

Quiltlady
01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Those clogs did come out nice. Love the blue color and the brown trim.

I'm just waiting for my order from KP to come then I will cast on for my first pair!! :happydance:

Angelia
01-31-2007, 04:23 PM

Jess_knit
01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
After reading through the beginning of this thread, I'm feeling the itch to knit me some clogs.

Of course, knitting these clogs first requires buying the pattern (I'm thinking Diva Knitting), buying the yarn, and buying the needles. Yikes!

I'm looking at WOTA colors right now, since I already have a $45 order I'm waiting to place with KnitPicks...what's another 12 dollars for (more) yarn, right? :teehee:

We're putting my old tablet PC up on eBay soon, which is how I'm planning on paying for all these things I MUST HAVE RIGHT AWAY :eyebrow:

One question: do you need a 16" circular needle, or 24"?

ctmax
02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi, just wondering how long everyone's clogs lasted? I made my mom a pair last year and they have a hole on the bottom already. I used patons wool and did the 2 soles. She does wear them like there going out of style, so I promised I would make her another pair.

benee16
02-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I just finished my first pair of adult clogs (which are drying now) and want to get the pattern for the children's. Does anyone know if the children's pattern has a double sole like the adults?
Thanks

Quiltlady
02-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm still waiting for my yarn order from KP to arrive. :??

itsjustmeghan
02-03-2007, 10:35 PM
i love and i hate these forums...
love them because there are so many good ideas and wonderful people.
hate them because when i'm poking around trying to waste some time, i find things like clog patterns that i HAVE to knit even though i just put in an order for yarn for a sweater and KP options needles just a few minutes ago....i'm just gonna have to see if i can add som WOTA to my order for some clogs...and my DH walked by and saw the pictures of the clogs up and requested a pair now too!

man.....my poor fingers are going to be tired!

DianaM
02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
If only I weren't allergic to wool :pout: :pout:
:verysad: :verysad:

Marni
02-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Finished clogs... prefelted (guess that's obvious by the size of em!). Posted info in What'cha knittin' Forum (www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25938)

Here's the picture:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/jims_clogs.jpg

knitknut
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Ooohhh! Those are really purty Marni.

ctmax - It depends on where you wear them, I guess. I've been wearing mine for over a year and are holding up great. There are treads available to attach after felting to make them last longer.

benee16 - Yes, the children sizes also had two soles.

Here is a pic of my DSis's. We finally got them felted yesterday. They were a Christmas gift. I posted the prefelted pics a few pages back.

knitwit
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I've been bitten by the clog bug - anyone know where I can download this pattern? :shrug:

I'd order online and have it shipped, but then I'd have to pay s/h, and I'm too lazy to go to my lys to see if they have it.

Thanks!!

Jess_knit
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
As far as I know, you can't download it anywhere - you actually have to buy a hard copy.

I bought it last night at www.divaknitting.com/store; shipping is free for the pattern, and it's only about $4.50.

knitwit
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Super- THANKS!!

Sonserae
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I just finished my first pair of clogs. YAY. After ripping out the first one about 5 times and taking about a week to figure the pattern out, a lightbulb went off with the second one and that only took a couple of hours to knit up. I'm so excited with the whole process. The felting wasn't as scary as I thought as you can shrink as much as you want depending on how long you keep it in the washer. I used Patons Classic Wool. I used Leaf Green for the sole, forest for the upper slipper, and deep olive for the upper ridge. I am leaving for Japan for a month and bringing a suitcase of yarn to keep me busy in the hotel room. :cheering:

http://www.photodump.com/direct/Sonserae/DSC05308.jpg
http://www.photodump.com/direct/Sonserae/DSC05314.jpg

Quiltlady
02-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I got my KP order in the mail today for the clogs!!! I bought some WOTA and I love the cherry color and lime color I chose. :cheering: :cheering:

I'm busy right now in a KAL for a child's sweater so I will cast on soon for the clogs. :happydance:

SuePado
02-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I just bought my pattern and was wondering if anyone has used 1 strand of bulky yarn instead of double strands of worsted weight yarn. If so, how many skeins of each color would I need? Thanks. I have some bulky wool in my stash and was wondering if it would work. Thanks.

SandraEllen
02-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi, just wondering how long everyone's clogs lasted? I made my mom a pair last year and they have a hole on the bottom already. I used patons wool and did the 2 soles. She does wear them like there going out of style, so I promised I would make her another pair.

Hmm.. I really have no idea of how long they last. I knitted mine a few months ago, but i can see how you could wear through. Mine soles are really flat and not at all squishy anymore.

Bummer.

Angelia
02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I think that with daily wear, the soles do get holes after about a year. Investing in the sew-on soles would likely help, though there is something appealing about having to knit another pair--new colors AND squishiness!

Quiltlady
02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I forgot..but I have WOTA and do I use two strands to knit the clogs?? :shrug: Thanks so much! :muah:

Ingrid
02-08-2007, 08:31 AM
You do use two strands together.

I'm on my second pair--I wear them every moment when I'm home, and these are starting to wear out, too. So yes, about a year depending on use. I look forward to a new pair one of these days.

Quiltlady
02-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Ingrid, I thought it was two strands.

I got the children's pattern for the clogs in the mail today. So now I just have to figure out if I want to start with those or the adult ones. I hope I can do these!!

Quiltlady
02-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I started to knit a childs' clog last night. :happydance: I am happy with how EASY the pattern seems to be so far. I'm only on row 9 but so far so good!! :cheering: :cheering:

Lighting57
02-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Think about how men's dress bedroom slippers have the rounded part in the back that overlaps the front part slightly on the sides; has anyone tried to do this or do you know a place to get a pattern like that? My DH would probably wear a pair of these felted slippers if they had the backs on them, but I know he wouldn't otherwise.

Angelia
02-10-2007, 11:49 PM
You can knit extra rounds to make the backs higher, and the cuff adds some covering over the heel, too; together the higher backs and cuffs make the 'clogs' more like slippers.

Quiltlady
02-11-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm at the point now on the CUFF after doing Round 5 where I have to knit in the "BACK loops" with another set of circular needles. Where are the back loops??? Is that the loop going horizontally just beneath the stitches??
:shrug:

Thank you for any help!

ctmax
02-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I have used one strand of bulky yarn before for these. With the wool I used you almost had to knit one size bigger than normal for it to shrink properly.

I did knit my mom some new ones, now we just have to felt them. I was going to try to repair her other ones as well. I was just going to take some extra yarn and sew it up and she said they have stretched a little so I was just going to stick it back into the washing machine. :shrug: We will see if this works.

benee16
02-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I bought the Felted Knits by Beverly Galeskas book. It has a pattern for felted boys and mens moccosins and girls and womans felted ballet slippers. I am currently making the boys moccosins. They look like what you'd see men wearing. I'll be making one for my hubby after making ballet slippers for my dd. The patterns are simple, done with 2 strands of ww or 1 of chunky and the 13 needle with the double sole too. For me the book was worth the money. There are a few other patterns I will make too.
Denise

Quiltlady
02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Well I just put the second sole on one of the clogs. :happydance: I think that was probably the most "uncomfortable" thing about knitting these. It was a bit akward :?? doing it but it turned out nice. So I just have to knit the second sole and attach it and then I can felt them. These are for my 3yr. gd. So far so good!! :cheering: :cheering:

like2knit
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
:happydance: Whoohoo.. I just finished my first ever knitting project. Just started knitting in Nov... so if I can do this pattern, anyone can. I couldn't have done this without the videos and posts on this forum.

I have included pictures. I used Galway in dark pink and brown heather. It worked up nicely... took forever to felt (like 45 minutes).... but I probably made the pattern too big and it needed to felt down more.

Can't wait to get my WOTA order... I've got 6 more pair to knit/felt

Quiltlady
02-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Your pink clogs came out great!!

I just finished my first pair but have to felt them yet. I also just placed another order with KP for more WOTA to knit myself a pair and one for my oldest daugther. :hug:

kblue
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
(also posted on What'cha Knitting)
The pattern turned out to be a lot easier than i thought. They were so much fun to knit up. I even got one of those "OoOoO's and AAaaAhhh's" from my DH who thought i was nuts when i was still knitting them up but after i felted them he was amazed. the red one is for my DD and the green one is for my DS.

Quiltlady
02-14-2007, 05:27 PM
kblue, your clogs came out GREAT!!! Love the colors. :cheering:

I just finished one clog for myself and will begin the other foot tonight.

I still need to felt my gd's and will felt mine at the same time since its all the same yarn. So plan to do those on the weekend.

I have on order from KP more yarn to knit a pair for my dd. I think these are even faster to knit than a pair of socks!!

Pixywhispers
02-14-2007, 08:12 PM
After months and months! (Other knitting expenses came up, what can I say.) I finally got my Clog patterns! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

Angelia
02-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Kblue, those are beautiful!! Well done!! :cheering: :cheering:

MaryS
02-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi,

My first pair of clogs, worn every minute I'm home and not sleeping, developed a hole at the tip of the toe after about 14 months.

I've washed this pair three times after the initial felting, and after washing the soles kind of "replumped" for awhile before flattening again.

I just fixed the hole with some leftover WOTA and will wash again to see if my "darning" will felt into the hole. (I won't darn socks - except with the Yarn Harlot's method - but I'll darn my CLOGS! LOL).

My yarn came last week for my next pair and I'm thinking about knitting a TRIPLE sole for extra "CUSH". :?? :shrug: :happydance:

Mary

Hsiaokuo62
02-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Love the look of all the clogs - is there a way to get the pattern online? We don't have a LYS here :pout:

Tobinknit
02-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Love the look of all the clogs - is there a way to get the pattern online? We don't have a LYS here :pout:

You can get the pattern here:
http://www.paradisefibers.net/SearchResults.asp

If the link doesn't work after I post it, just get rid of the SearchResults.asp. I have ordered from them before and they have always shipped it the same day. I don't know where you live, but this shop is located in Spokane, WA.

kblue
02-16-2007, 08:28 PM
I bought my pattern online at The Knitting Zone:
http://www.knittingzone.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=clogs

The first one listed should be the childrens and the second should be the adults.

Lisa_H-Town
02-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I have been reading about the felted clogs -- Looked very cool until I realized you had to have a top load washing machine (I have front load)... How long does the felting take and what does it involve, in case I need to commadere a friend or family member's machine.

Also, can I just get wool yarn, or do I need to get "felting" yarn -- saw this at Hobby Lobby, but icky colors... wool had a nice selection.

It may be addressed somewhere, and apologize if these are silly or dupe questions. It took me a week of reading this forum to realize the name of the pattern was the name of the forum! :doh:

Hsiaokuo62
02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks KBlue and Tobinknit!

hunterjenn
02-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I have been reading about the felted clogs -- Looked very cool until I realized you had to have a top load washing machine (I have front load)... How long does the felting take and what does it involve, in case I need to commadere a friend or family member's machine.

Also, can I just get wool yarn, or do I need to get "felting" yarn -- saw this at Hobby Lobby, but icky colors... wool had a nice selection.

It may be addressed somewhere, and apologize if these are silly or dupe questions. It took me a week of reading this forum to realize the name of the pattern was the name of the forum! :doh:

Any wool will work, as long as it's not marked as "superwash" wool, which is treated so that it won't felt. Time for felting differs, since it has to do with how hot your water is, what yarn you're using, etc. I always make a swatch and felt it to see what it will do and how long it takes. I've heard rumors that front loaders work to some degree, but top loaders are preferable. :)

Markette
02-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I felted mine and my husband's (and a felted bunny) in my front loader, and they turned out ok. Not as perfect and round as a lot of the pics you see here, but, then again, I was already casting on for the next project while they were felting, so I may not have done the best blocking job ever. I do think the front loader can make them lumpier/creased, though, since it's tumbling in and out of the water instead of just agitating in it. I set it to the longest cycle (heavy powerwash) and set a timer, and then turned the knob to "off" when it was time to check them, and then restarted the cycle if it needed more time. Both pair took about 30 minutes to felt, and then almost a week to dry.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0003.jpg http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0002-3.jpg

Mine have bumpers; his don't.

Angelia
02-18-2007, 09:18 AM
The good thing re the wonkiness is that with wear, unless pieces have felted onto themselves (like bumps in the bottom of the soles, which I've had happen), the wonkiness will go away. The one's I'm wearing now were awfully funny looking at first, but they look normal now.

Someone at the LYS the other day said that she pours boiling water into her front loader to up the heat to enusre better felting. You might try that. (That goes for top-loaders, too, if you have the temp on your hot water heater set rather low to avoid scalding.)

itsjustmeghan
02-18-2007, 01:15 PM
i was thinking,
has anyone tried adding an insole or something inbetween the two soles you knit up? just for added padding and durability? i guess hypothetically, as long as it's hte size of the person's foot, then it should be okay during the felting process and will act as reinforcement....of course, they can't be fancy insole...just regular old insoles that are of a material that is washable...

what do you think? :shrug:

benee16
02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
If you make the pattern a size larger than you should, when it felts down to your size, it is soooo solid and cushy, you really don't need something between the 2 soles.

humblestumble
02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Also it would probably slide around, or be stretched over by the yarn if you don't know the exact size to cut it out as.

I'd say that you really don't need it, although it seems like it when you make it. When it's done, it's really cushy already. And if you don't want to knit two soles, they suggest the leather ones you can buy online for more durability.

jyotimagic
02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I've just come back to knitting after a 20 year break. Decided to try to FT felted clog pattern, as I used to have a (shop-bought) pair of these that were great. However, the pattern is getting the better of me, and it's my first time on circular needles too. After several ripping back sessions, I decided to look for some help here.

I think I'm going wrong on the w&t. I get the shape, but my work ends up holey and I'm not getting the right number of stitches. The instructions for the w&t looked straightforward, and I followed them to a T. Then I looked at the instruction video on this site, which showed turning the work before wrapping the stitch. I also didn't get from the pattern about putting the needle through the wrap plus the stitch, which I guess makes a big difference. Can anyone explain this technique to me in simple terms?

I'm also having a hard time counting my stitches when I lose track of where I am. I guess I can't recognize the "landmarks" in this new pattern. I've just come from knitting socks on size 2 dpns, which were a breeze compared with this. However, I really, really want to do these clogs. Can someone point me in the right direction? Since this thread is so big, my questions may have been answered already, but I don't want to spend hours sitting here reading all the posts. I'd rather be knitting!
Help!

BTW, I'm working them in Cascade 220.

I'm obviously not that good at discussion boards either. Sorry, I posted this as a new topic, before figuring out how to add it to this thread.

humblestumble
02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
When it says to pick up the wrap, it means to pick up the loop hugging the stitch that you are about to knit. It's from the short row w&t. It's from when the yarn goes around the stitch. Does that help?

Ingrid
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
For the clogs, you don't need to pick up the wrap. When you get to the gap caused by the previous turn, you work the two stitches together, which eliminates any hole.

Markette
02-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I didn't pick up the wrap or do anything fancy with mine. In fact, I did all my make 1s wrong on my husband's slippers (don't tell him, he has already accused me of making his first so that I would work out the kinks before I made mine, and I denied it :teehee: "No, really, increases are supposed to make little holes like that."). But once it's felted, it doesn't matter.

So, for the wrap and turn, I slipped the next stitch purlwise, brought the yarn to the front, slipped the stitch back to the left needle, turned, and went on my merry way.

Knitting the soles on these was frustrating for me, because I'm not very good at counting (no, really, I can blink and forget where I was). So I made extra copies of the pattern so I could write on it, circled the number of stitches I needed for the size I was making (and crossed out the other extraneous numbers for good measure) and drew a / after every wrap and turn. Then, as I was going, as I got to a /, I'd cross out everything before it so when I would think, "now how many again?" I could just glance and see easily. I also think it would help to put a stitch marker at your last wrap and turn, so if you need to count back and find your place you can, but I didn't come up with that until I had my two pairs already done.

Hope that helps. It gets better when you get to the upper part and it starts looking like something real.

jyotimagic
02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much for the helpful comments. What a fantastic resource this is, especially when you are both motherless and grandmotherless. The marker makes a lot of sense, and I'm going to try that.

After taking a break from the clog disaster, I went back and started over. I realized a couple of things, that made me feel stupid for not realizing first off, but then I felt better, because when I corrected them, it all started working out.

First of all, on my M1 stitches, I wasn't knitting it through the back, and I think that's what was making it look holey. I had only done this technique once before, when I was making Mr Stegs (www.xtreme-knitting.com). Great pattern, btw.

Next, it was simply a case of not being able to count! The wind has been blowing here all day, and stirring up a huge amount of juniper pollen. I've been snuffly and feeling groggy. As an MT I should have been following my own advice and doing my energy exercises to counteract this... well, I did, finally. And of course, as always, they got me back on track. There's an exercise called the Wayne Cook Posture, that's good for kids with learning difficulties (and adults who have trouble counnting, etc!). It hooks up the left and right hemispheres of the brain and gets them balanced. If you tend towards being more one-sided than the other, it's really good for helping you through your weak spots. I'm not good on left brain stuff.

Anyway, it's looking good so far on the sole, although only a few rows knitted, and I'm feeling confident again. These are for my boyfriend, so I've probably got more at stake than if I was making my own pair first.

like2knit
02-27-2007, 11:09 PM
I too would lose count sometimes with the wrap & turns and . I did use stitch markers whenever I had to knit several stitches. It worked perfectly, and if I did lose count, I only had to go back to the stitch marker.

Good Luck :cheering:
Mary

Doublereeder2
03-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Advice needed, please :??

I just refelted our clogs since they had become a bit floppy after wearing them most of the winter. My DH's have a hole in the sole where the seams came apart. Should I just stitch it back together or is there a better way to repair this? They are just the right size so felting again is not an option.

Thanks ~ Ceci

ctmax
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
This happened to my moms pair of slippers. I'm not sure how to fix without refelting. I ended up sewing up with wool and refelting. After felting my moms slippers fit my 7 year old really well. :teehee: Good thing I made my moms slippers blue since he would not have like a girly color.

Quiltlady
03-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Today I felted both pair of clogs. :cheering: I knit a pair for myself and one pair for my 4 yr. old gd. They are both drying on boot dryers so I don't think it will take forever for them to dry out that way!

Soon I'll start a pair for my dd. She chose blue and brown of the WOTA. That yarn did not take long at all to felt. :happydance:

Quiltlady
03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm wearing my clogs!! They are so warm and comfy. I am amazed at how "spongy" the bottom feels and that sure makes them comfortable.

My gd wore her's for a little while. Her feet were getting too warm so she took them off. I've started a pair for my daughter this morning. :cheering:

mimi
03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I am about to order knit picks size 13 needles, but can someone please tell me what size cable I should order to use on the fiber trends clogs? I bought the pattern, left it at homeand I don't remember the cable length.
Thanks

knitknut
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I believe the children size takes a 16 and the adult is 24.

jamadian75
03-11-2007, 08:13 AM
:hiding:

I think I'm FINALLY ready. I decided a month ago that these would make the perfect gift for my li'l sister's birthday, which is now in 8 days *sigh*

Needles ready (knitpicks options 13) - check !
Researched short row Wrap & Turn techniques - check!
Stash diving for yarn - check! (Cascade 220 in a dark brown and burgundy for trim)
Magnetic Chart keeper from KnitPicks - check! (not required, but a thrill to buy something since I'm on a 2-month yarn diet ).
Pattern - check!

Me thinks, I'm ready...all that's left is to read through all the posts in this forum so I avoid any pitfalls and take advantage of the great tips I know are lurking in here.

:thud:

Mulderknitter
03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I just finished mine yesterday and they are drying as we speak. for some reason one of mine turned out a bit bigger than the other, and didn't shrink any more in the washer, so I am hoping that it's not so big of a deal. Besides, they were my first ones ever! Just keep track of what row you are on and you will be fine!

Lighting57
03-11-2007, 02:46 PM
If my following question has been answered, please forgive me.

I'm planning to make these clogs and was wondering how well they wash later on down the road after they have been worn and soiled. Will washing them cause them to felt further, or once they are felted and dried the first time do they not felt any longer? How do you all wash them when they become dirty?

momwolf
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Here is a helpful drying method ,it is an old boot drying method that OLD Minnesotas use.Stuff your felted projects with newspaper.you can shape this way too.You should change often because paper absorbs the water out of felting.I use this method all the time and it cuts drying time in half

MaryS
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Lightning,

I've washed and dried my clogs four or five times since they were first felted. I put them in my lingerie bag and wash them with the appropriate load - light colors, blues, reds, etc. - then throw them in the dryer (still in the bag). After about 10 - 15 minutes (about half dry) I'll take them out and slip them on just to get the shaping right - maybe give them a tug if they feel a little too tight - then just stand them on top of my drying rack overnight and they're good to go.

When I wash them they tighten up a little (just like my sweatpants and knee socks do) but after the first wearing they'll be all comfy again.

I :heart: washable footwear! :cheering:

Mary

katezin
03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm new to this forum (although I've been lurking for a couple of weeks) and relatively new to knitting. I've tackled 2 simple felted purses and a couple of scarves and was ready for a challenge. This forum really got me interested in the clogs and I started my first pair yesterday. I've been using the videos and this forum to find answers to my questions but after reading the W&T ones (and watching the video) I'm stumped. I got thru row 2 with the W&T but it seems that I should be expecting more. I up to row 7 and I've scanned the pattern but only see turns for the rest of the rows. Am I missing something :shrug: Are all of the 'turns' noted in the pattern really 'W&T's'?

Mulderknitter
03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
katezin
the rest of the turns I have used as real turns, as in you have finished the row and you turn the whole project around and start the next row. I believe that the w&t is only for the toe shaping, but please anyone correct me if I am wrong

Lighting57
03-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks Mary. That's what I wanted to know.

SandraEllen
03-12-2007, 08:16 AM
katezin
the rest of the turns I have used as real turns, as in you have finished the row and you turn the whole project around and start the next row. I believe that the w&t is only for the toe shaping, but please anyone correct me if I am wrong

This is correct. If it says turn, then you just turn. pretend that you've gotten to the end of a row. the only place you wrap and turn is where it specifically says "W&T"

Krautie
03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh I like these clogs very much! And I would love to make a pair for my husband and for me - but I live in Germany and I can not buy this pattern here.

If I buy the pattern in the US I can not pay for it because I have no credit card. And the shipping costs are certainly awful I believe.

All I can do is whining while gazing at your wonderful pictures :verysad:

katezin
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks SandraEllen and Mulderknitter! Since the pattern calls for a repeat of the infamous row 2, I got the impression there were more W&T than just row 2.

This pattern is just the 'challenge' that I was looking for. I think after I master this one I may qualify as an experienced knitter and move on to some unfelted knitting - I think! xxx

SandraEllen - Detroit area? me too!

MaryS
03-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Katezin,

Me three on Detroit area - Troy :cheering: :cheering:

MaryS

jamadian75
03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I starte cloggie #1 for my sis today on the car trip home from Disney! :cheering:

Phew!! There is alot of counting to do, and I had to restart 3 times, but once you get to the toe part/and joining, it starts to take shape and make sense. Progress pictures coming soon....

MaryS
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
:cheering: The first time you do this pattern it's so amazing to see it actually turn into a clog!! :happydance: :happydance:

Mary

katezin
03-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Katezin,

Me three on Detroit area - Troy :cheering: :cheering:

MaryS

MaryS - I'm in Lake Orion. My parents live in Troy. Nice to 'meet' a local knitter!!! :waving:

kerilld
03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Hello Clog Gurus,
I am making a pair of gift clogs and have found that I've made one side seemingly much bigger than the other. Any ideas what I've done? I am probably going to rip it out and re-do, but will ask the recepient if they mind or not - they are still functional, and they are for a teen-age boy (who isn't particularly fashion minded!). I am wondering if I forgot to turn at the end of a row, or did a row twice? :?? I was working on them while some of my students were doing their standardized state tests and may have lost my place...
Thanks!
Keri

jamadian75
03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Hmmm...seems like I was spacing out while knitting too!

On the cuff, the directions say to pick up the "back" loop of the stitches on Round 1 of the cuff. If I'm looking at the stiches, is this the loop on the right side of left side of the needle? :??

Dilemma #2 - (also due to not reading ahead), when I put together stitches from the spare needle and the working needle, I forgot the part about casting off loosely at the same time. :doh: Does anyone have opinions about whether this will matter?

If I did the picking up loops wrong, I'm frogging this part anyway...so I'll wait to hear back from a veteran clogger before moving ahead here...

ETA: I read back sevearl pages, I'm going to frog and redo this using Hilde's tip about using the same needle and doing the cuff "roll" as a k2tog.

katezin
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry but I have another question (and I haven't gotten much further than my last one!). The pattern says for the joining into round: bring the beginning of the last row up......., joining work at heel in the process. Not sure what's meant by joining work at heel in the process? I picked up the stitch from the last row and am now knitting in the round but was there something else that I should have done or should be doing to 'join work at heel in the process'? Am I again reading too much into this?
:??
I'm working off of the new pattern MC-33x. Since this is the first pattern that I've ever worked with (previous projects were taught to me by friends) I'm afraid that I'm going to miss something and not discover my mistake until I'm much further along and reluctant to start over.

Thanks so much for any responses!!

jamadian75
03-14-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm sorry but I have another question (and I haven't gotten much further than my last one!). The pattern says for the joining into round: bring the beginning of the last row up......., joining work at heel in the process. Not sure what's meant by joining work at heel in the process? I picked up the stitch from the last row and am now knitting in the round but was there something else that I should have done or should be doing to 'join work at heel in the process'? Am I again reading too much into this?
:??
I'm working off of the new pattern MC-33x. Since this is the first pattern that I've ever worked with (previous projects were taught to me by friends) I'm afraid that I'm going to miss something and not discover my mistake until I'm much further along and reluctant to start over.

Thanks so much for any responses!!

Trust me, I understand your hesitation katezin - I've knit from patterns many many times, and STILL treading cautiously. If you picked up the stitch and knit it along with the 1st stitch on your left needle, this should have joined your knitting so that you're able to knit a round (around). I think this is done to tighten up the heel area and join that section tighter than if you didn't pick up that stitch below. If you're knitting in the round and your stitch count is right, you should be fine! :hug:

jamadian75
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Ok...progress shot

I used Hilde's suggestion (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16982&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=36) about picking up the stitches for the cuff with the working needle (no spare) and binding off at the same time - LOVE. IT. It was much faster ( I know this because I did it the pattern's way first, then frogged to redo it this way). Thanks Hilde! :muah:

Now I have to seam the sole and do the bumpers on both; then it's felting time!!

Oh! Also, the 2nd one was really MUCH faster to knit. And I actually did it while watching a movie (half looking, half listening). The huge gaps in stitches for the shaping of the upper are BIG clues as to when you're supposed to do a decrease, so I didn't have to count sts for every single line like the first time around.

I can see how these would be addictive to knit as gifts :shifty:

katezin
03-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Trust me, I understand your hesitation katezin - I've knit from patterns many many times, and STILL treading cautiously. If you picked up the stitch and knit it along with the 1st stitch on your left needle, this should have joined your knitting so that you're able to knit a round (around). I think this is done to tighten up the heel area and join that section tighter than if you didn't pick up that stitch below. If you're knitting in the round and your stitch count is right, you should be fine! :hug:

Uh-ho! I only picked up one stitch - the stitch from the left to start knitting in the round. I did not include a stitch from below. :doh: Hopefully that won't make too much of a difference. I don't see in the pattern any additional knitting for the sole other than seaming the sole up. So, other than tightening up that area, that missed stitch isn't a biggie, is it?

Thanks for the response Jamadian!! I appreciate the help.

jamadian75
03-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Good evening Kate! I'm just about to start on my outer sole, and thought I would stop in here first. I don't think you'll have too many problems, but I've read elsewhere in this thread that the heel join area does sometimes come out/apart after the felting process, so that area needs to be reinforced anyway...I think it's okay that you didn't do this extra stitch pick up - but any veterans out there can certainly correct me.

I think the key is to tighten up this area with some extra stitching anyway, just to be sure it doesn't come apart.

MaryS
03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
katezin,

I've done at least eight pr of clogs and never picked up an extra stitch when I did the heel join - just started knitting in the round and I've NEVER had the heels come apart. BTW, I always do the 'higher' heel and most often add 2 short rows at the back of the heel to make it a little bit higher. All the clogs I've done were WOTA.

I don't think you'll have any problem as long as your first joined stitch is pulled tight.

Have fun! :happydance:

Mary

SandraEllen
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
katezin,

I've done at least eight pr of clogs and never picked up an extra stitch when I did the heel join - just started knitting in the round and I've NEVER had the heels come apart.
Mary

I've never picked up an extra stitch and mine have never come apart either. :shrug:

jamadian75
03-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Sooooo close! :happydance:

I have finished the outer sole and bumper on both, now my only remaining steps are to sew the outer sole seam and then stitch the outer sole to the inner sole - anyone have tips on this? :?? It seems it would be pretty easy to "tack" the inner and outer sole together while stiching the center seam on the outer sole - 2 soles one seam??? :teehee:

The end of these clogs is near and I can't wait for felting! Although they are a gift, I tried them on, and they feel niiiiiiice already :heart: . I see a pair for me in the very near future.

jamadian75
03-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm just hogging this thread it seems :teehee:

Happy St. Patrick's Day all...my clogs are not green, but they sho' is DONE!

:cheering: :cheering:

Prefelted
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/424516110_a386e70018_m.jpg

Modeled by my DD for scale :)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/424516166_fc42e138ca_m.jpg

Fini!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/424516021_c3cc33901b_m.jpg
Yarn: Cascade 220 Quatro and Heathers (Colors unknown because my stash has eaten the ball bands)
Almost 400 yds of the brown heather, and nearly 200 yds of the burnt orange (knit for a size 8 1/2)
Started: March
Finished: March 17th

A gift for SisterBerry (my younger sister's nickname).

Ingrid
03-17-2007, 07:42 PM
:cheering: :cheering: They look wonderful! I love the perspective pic. :teehee:

SandraEllen
03-22-2007, 07:34 AM
I finished up knitting another pair of clogs last night.

Instead of completing a whole slipper before moving on to the next, I knit one sole, then the top. then moved to the next slipper. sole, top. then i went and made and attached the second soles.

now DH wants a pair.

RiverDaughter
03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I hate to sound silly, but what pattern are ya'll using? I love the look of tese clogs, and I keep seeing people mention that they bought the pattern, but no links as to where they bought it from. :shrug:

Ingrid
03-22-2007, 11:00 PM
It's a pattern from FiberTrend, about $5. Many yarn shops carry it, and lots of on-line sites, too. Google FiberTrend clog pattern and you'll have a wide selection of places to get it from.

RiverDaughter
03-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks! :cheering:

Finding slippers that fit me is impossible, but being able to make my own, in any color I want, is priceless. :heart:

PaperGirl
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
OMG! These are ADORABLE!

And I think I can do it!

Im SO buying this pattern! I cant wait to attack this project!

Andrea
03-23-2007, 04:50 PM
It's really a great pattern!

Marce, your sisters' clogs are so cute! :cheering:

Quiltlady
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM
It is a great pattern. And easy if you keep track of what row you are working on in the directions.

I'm starting my third pair now. They are so comfy. I use WOTA yarn. :muah:

jamadian75
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
It's really a great pattern!

Marce, your sisters' clogs are so cute! :cheering:

Why thank ya! :)

Your buddy icon is hilarious!!!! :roflhard:

PaperGirl
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
:teehee: Im picking wool colors on knitpicks site....I have in my "stash" 4 balls each of WOTA..

Arctic Pool Heather
Hyacinth
Bluebonnet
Cloud...

Of course, my mind may change later, BUT I have to have the bluebonnet color.

RiverDaughter
03-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Just a question for knitters who have done the project before: what size needle do you use? I'm going to either order the size online if I don't have it, or get it from the LYS. If it's circular, I need to get it online, as my LYS charges double the online prices I've seen from KP and others.

I'm so silly for not having a huge knitting needle collection. :teehee:

PaperGirl
03-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I have ordered my yarn for MY clogs. I chose a really pretty combo (I think) of WotA in Winter Night and Iron Ore for MY clogs.

Im going to look for the needles and pattern on other sites. Im trying to not shop at a bajillion different places for the stuff for MY clogs.

I need to find ONE place with the needles and the pattern together...I just wish knitpicks had the pattern and needles too.

Did I mention these were for MY clogs? :roflhard: I have YET to make myself anything really nice...and I think I deserve it. :teehee:

If I can make MY clogs pretty easy, and not cuss too much in the process...then Ill think about everyone else in the house. :roflhard:

dink
03-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I have ordered my yarn for MY clogs. I chose a really pretty combo (I think) of WotA in Winter Night and Iron Ore for MY clogs.

Good for you! I've been trying to figure out different color combos for the Booga Bag I keep saying that I'm going to make, and the Winter Night/Iron Ore is one of the combos I've considered too (among many others). Post pictures along the way!

MaryS
03-31-2007, 11:27 AM
River Daughter,

The clogs take US size 13, 24" circular. If you can't find a 24" circ, they can be done flat. If so, there's a very small seam (about 6-7 stitches) at the back of the heel, and it will be felted anyway.

Sorry it took so long to answer your question. (My only excuse is, it's tax season :shrug: I'm a CPA).

Have fun - these are great to knit and to WEAR!

Mary

RiverDaughter
04-04-2007, 06:22 AM
I think I remember someone mentioning this before, but I can't remember for sure, but has anyone tried applying some sort of rubbery bottom to these clogs so that they don't slip everywhere when you wear them on smooth surfaces?

I think someone mentioned something about liquid latex, but I can't be sure. I was thinking of using a thin layer of rubber cement (after felting) myself. Would that work?

katezin
04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
:happydance: I finally finished my clogs! Yeah!! After the challenges of completing these I think I may 'whip up a pair' for my DH. hehehe It does get easier though after you've made 2 or 3 of them.

I had to frog the first clog all the way down to the sole after completely finishing it because I realized the whole thing was crooked when I was knitting on the second sole. :wall: No clue how that happend. And, for whatever reason one clog is a little bigger than the other - even though I followed the pattern to a T for the womans medium. But I'll felt the bigger one more to shrink it to the same size. I didn't do the 3 needle BO on the first sole but it was so hard that on the second one I tried the 3 needle thingie and found it was a little easier. For whatever reason the cuff was pretty easy to do without the 3 needles.

But THEY ARE DONE!!!!! I want to felt them now but I have a front load washer that doesn't do felting very well. I have to wait until my friend gets back from vacation to use her machine. Can't wait to wear them!!!!

PaperGirl
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Waiting for my yarn to get here. Email said April 10th. :doh: I forgot about the holiday.

*EDIT*

Its here! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

The yarn, the pattern, and the needles all came at once! Its a SURE sign I have to start these now.

Hubby laughed at me when I ripped open the package. :rofl:

PaperGirl
04-12-2007, 01:19 PM
:!!!: :!!!:

I messed up.

I cast on the 57 stiches for my size, and worked the FIRST row, and when I got to the end of the row pattern, I had FIVE extra stitches still on the needle!

I can only assume it came from the m1 directions in the pattern, cause I know how to knit, and the w&t was easy to figure out.

Im so annoyed with myself. :pout: Did anyone else have this issue?

mimi
04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I had a similar problem so I redid it, but this time I counted very carefully and discovered I had messed up with the M1 increases. Just count and recount before you get too far.

PaperGirl
04-13-2007, 11:51 AM
katezin

This is correct. If it says turn, then you just turn. pretend that you've gotten to the end of a row. the only place you wrap and turn is where it specifically says "W&T"

OK, I began my first clog again last night, and I ended up having to frog it THREE times....and THIS is where I gopt to my stopping point...

Toe and instep shaping....Row 1 do all the pattern...turn.

There is where my brain short circuited. Or it could have been cause it was 2 AM...Im not sure.

BUT...

That means....turn my knitting around? So the right needle is in my left hand, and vice versa? :?? I just need to hear it again....Im awful.

Wont that put the working yarn in my left hand?

Forgive me...I havent had any coffee yet to attempt to turn and begin row 2...where it says...slip 1, p4, turn.

Lighting57
04-16-2007, 12:53 PM
It took about 1 1/2 hours of agitating in a hot washing machine to get my clogs to felt. Still the top part didn't felt as throughly as the sole. As such, the tops may be too big for my foot, but I removed them before the soles became to short. Has this happened to any of you? Boy, my launder room smelled like a wet dirty dog.

I used two skeins of "OLD" 100% virgin wool I found at a thrift store. The skeins were 4oz. skeins of RED HEART with a price tag of 97 cents. I'm guessing atleast 30 years old. :shrug:

PaperGirl
04-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks to a post in hear earleir, I watched the 3NBO, and OMG...VOILA! I figured it out! I was booking along with Clog #1, then I hit that part with the 3 needles, and tried to figure it out myself...OMG...disaster. Frogging ensued.

If my DH would have just gotten off his silly computer game for FIVE minutes this weekend, I would have this done already.... :!!!: :!!!:

As it stands...one viewing of the video, and 5 minutes, and my first clog is OFF THE NEEDLES! Im making the outer sole for it this afternoon.

I know technically, Im a dork for posting BEFORE I was done...but golly gee, Im THRILLED I got this far without using ANY foul language! :roflhard:

Doublereeder2
04-17-2007, 12:25 AM
RiverDaughter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I remember someone mentioning this before, but I can't remember for sure, but has anyone tried applying some sort of rubbery bottom to these clogs so that they don't slip everywhere when you wear them on smooth surfaces?

I think someone mentioned something about liquid latex, but I can't be sure. I was thinking of using a thin layer of rubber cement (after felting) myself. Would that work?

Yes, I used a product called Plasti-Dip. You can get it in a spray can or paint it on. I bought it at my local hardware store (not the big box one).
I found that I had to spray it on pretty thick to last - you might try the paint on version.

Let me know how it works for yours. :happydance:

RiverDaughter
04-17-2007, 04:14 AM
I'll have to look if the local hardware store carries it. :happydance:

Bleh, just frogged mine because I realized halfway through a row that I had followed the wrong step, and used the woman shoe measurements instead of the man version. Glad I realized it early on, though, or else I would have just cried when my shoe was two sizes too small. :teehee:

larudden
05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
OK, I just ordered my pattern. Now, how much yarn of each color should I buy? I'm thinking of the WOTA colors and, since I don't have the pattern, I'm not sure how much yarn to order for a woman's size 9.

Advice? Thanks.:muah:

RiverDaughter
05-29-2007, 10:08 PM
If you're doing the two colored version, four skeins of the main color and four skeins of the edgeing color, if you use WOTA. That's what I used on Men's size 11, and never needed to join yarn, thankfully.

larudden
05-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks! Now, off to order some yarn! :woot:

pvsduck
08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I purchased the adult sized pattern Tuesday and started knitting the first clog last night. I am wondering whether there is anyone else that hasn't already made at least one pair of these. I spent some time yesterday reading through the 2006 KAL messages and making notes of tips from those who have already made the clogs. I'm hoping there are others here that haven't made these before and would like to join me. I'm planning on making several pairs for Christmas gifts this year.

Patricia

JamOKnit
08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi! I have the yarn, I have the needles, I have the pattern...and I have no idea what's holding me back, other than all my other projects OTN! :) I plan to knit these before the weather gets cold again...a test pair for myself, and then if those go well, some for my hubby as well. I will hopefully be able to start in the next week or two, so I'll check in with you and we can compare progress!!

pvsduck
08-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I successfully completed the inner sole on my first one last night and one row of the shoe upper. Hopefully I'll have more knitting time this evening and can get alot more done. With those #13 needles it goes really fast!

stirsmommy
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
I am ordering yarn this week. I am making two pair Christmas so I do need to get on it. I had been putting off the order but now I will do it this week. I hope they are as easy as they seem. I am going to be using wool of the Andes in one of the reds with chocolate for the sole. What are y'all using?

pvsduck
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm using Cascade 220 in a Magenta and coordinating Cascade Quattro. The magenta will be the sole and trim.

PaperGirl
08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Ive made 3 pairs, and have half of my DS's still..and I still need to make my oldest DD's.

Darn you for making a KAL! Now I have to finish them! :roflhard:

stirsmommy
08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Ive made 3 pairs, and have half of my DS's still..and I still need to make my oldest DD's.

Darn you for making a KAL! Now I have to finish them! :roflhard:

Does have a way of making you feel committed doesn't it? Makes me wonder how many things I can have on needles at once!

Doublereeder2
08-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I made 3 pair last year, but already have the yarn for a few more :-)

JamOKnit
08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm going to use WOTA in a turquoise color for the upper and a darker blue for the sole.

losnana
08-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi! I have the yarn, I have the needles, I have the pattern...and I have no idea what's holding me back, other than all my other projects OTN! :) I plan to knit these before the weather gets cold again...a test pair for myself, and then if those go well, some for my hubby as well. I will hopefully be able to start in the next week or two, so I'll check in with you and we can compare progress!!

Me too, but I have to finish a stole and sweater before I can start. Oops - and a toy horse.

IrishKnitter
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
These are up next for me after I finish my current project. I plan on making a pair for my MIL for Christmas. She has small feet--so I can start out with the smallest size! :teehee:

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I get started! Good luck, everyone! :cheering:

pvsduck
08-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Last night I got most of the upper part of the first clog finished. Making the toe part of the clog is a lot like turning a heel on a sock, which made it really easy for me, because it was familiar. I'll try to get a picture of my progress this evening after work and post it. So far this project has been much easier than I expected! (I hope I didn't just jinx it.)

Patricia

pvsduck
08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Clog #1 is ready to have the soles stitched closed. Here's a picture of the clog compared to my size 8.5 shoe.

stirsmommy
08-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the picture. I needed something to reference since they are going to be so big that I would be tempted to stop them to soon.

Indygirl
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM

knitting4-2girls
08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I saw this KAL and thought these would make great gifts. So, I ordered the pattern the other day and hopefully will get it soon and be able to get started!!

JamOKnit
08-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Wow, I can't believe how big they are pre-felting! :)

I didn't get to cast on this weekend since we are still trying to get our house unpacked from our recent move. But I did make some progress on a sock I'm trying to finish, so once that's done, I'm all about clogs!

Indygirl
08-13-2007, 09:04 PM

mare-nitt
08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
They look great and I like the colors.

stirsmommy
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a question. Did anyone have to use the smaller 16" cable? I saw where I might have to switch needles and I really don't want to have to buy a size 13 circ in that length.
Thanks

Indygirl
08-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a question. Did anyone have to use the smaller 16" cable? I saw where I might have to switch needles and I really don't want to have to buy a size 13 circ in that length.
Thanks

stirsmommy
08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I used a size #13- 24 in. long for the whole thing.

Thanks that is what I was hoping to do.:woot: Anything to keep the cost down on the Christmas gift list is wonderful!!

Doodknitwit
08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
:yay: they go quickly too :woohoo:

knitknut
08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
The only time I've used the 16 inch 13s is on the children size. As long as you are making the adult, you're good with the 24 inchers!

mimi
08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I made three pairs last year, but will join the rest of you now. I have Cascade 220 in shocking pink and bubble gum pink. I will have to get my son to post a photo since I haven't learned how to do that yet.

robynbird
08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
I made 2 pair last year...one for my MIL and one for my son. Rather than buy the child's pattern also, I just felted the adult ones until they fit my son. :) I have a pair started for my DH and I promised my DD I would make some for her.

JamOKnit
08-16-2007, 08:27 AM
OK, cloggers, this may be a really stupid question, but....I have just finished the first set of rows for the sole. Now it says to change colors to start the upper. Do I cut off the yarn and begin with the new color, or does the sole color stay attached?

pvsduck
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
I cut it on mine.

JamOKnit
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
OK, so I'm just joining the second color to the end of the first color.... is that right? Weaving in the ends later?

mimi
08-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Just weave in the ends later. I always love starting a new color, makes me feel like the work is progressing. I noticed you are doing the umbilical cord hat, its on my needles, too!

astonh
08-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I SO want to make some of these for my kiddos and, of course, ME. I've never done felting and just looking at them done they seem a little more requiring of skills than I possess but I'm TOTALLY hoping to make some of these soon. That time of year is coming when we'll want something to keep our feets warm. I look forward to watching this post on how all you guys' projects come along.

astonh
08-16-2007, 12:03 PM
HOLY COW!!! I apparently missed the pix the first time around. I'm SOOOO thankful that you posted a pix of the clog prior to felting. I had NO IDEA that pre-felting was so gigantic! I would have freaked if I did on my own and saw that this was what was happening. :cheering: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for sharing that photo... (as well as the pix of the finished projects!).

JamOKnit
08-17-2007, 09:18 AM
So it was a little confusing at first, but as soon as I started on the upper and realized the pattern, these things knit up quickly! I was at a cafe last night with some friends and due to thunderstorms we were kinda stuck for a few hours, and I finished the inner sole and upper of one clog. (well, there was lots of talking and eating too, so it didn't take me the whole time to finish that.)

I think the second one will go much faster. Although I am concerned that it's not turning out as big as it should in order to felt down to size. I'm doing the women's size 8 for my 7.5 size foot....so we'll see.

Indygirl
08-17-2007, 02:40 PM

JamOKnit
08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I finished up the cuff of the first clog last night and started on the outer sole. I had a moment of confusion when it came to picking up the stitches at the starting edge of the cuff, but I think I got it right...I did have to also do a bit of weaving around the heel area before sewing up the bottom of the sole, due to some holes/spaces. I will try to avoid these on the next clog.

JamOKnit
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Clog #1 done! Started clog #2 last night. Hopefully this one will go a lot faster. It's a little difficult to knit with these big needles after my last few projects have been on 7s and 2s!!! :)

Slybella
08-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I have my pattern and am hoping to cast on soon but have a couple of questions.
Firstly, I have two skeins of Lopi in my stash, since this is a bulky weight yarn I'd just use one strand right?
Secondly, My DH is a size 9. Should I use the Women's size 10 or the Men's size 11 for him?

Thxs in advance)

knitknut
08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Slybella - I'm not sure about the Lopi question, I don't know about that yarn. I would make the size 11 for your husband and just felt them down to size. I wear a ladies 10 and a mens 8, so I think the ladies 10 would be too small. If I remember correctly there are a few extra rows that are done on the mens pattern to compensate for a larger foot. Even though the length may be the same, their feet are generally larger across the top. Hope that makes sense.

FYI - darker colors felt better than lighter ones, I would suggest using dark colors since you need to really felt them down.

JamO - Pics? :nails:

Astonh - You can do it. We are here to help! They will get lots of use. I'm a little further south than you are and I wear mine all the time at home. Yes, they are huge prefelting. Last year I made the smallest child size and it fit my foot prefelted like a sock! I thought about making a pair and not felting them to what it would be like to wear them. I'm thinking they might feel peebly.

PaperGirl
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
My MIL FINALLY got the ones that I made her for Mothers Day.

SHe :heart:s them!

JamOKnit
09-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Will post pics soon. I was on vacation last week and brought a different project with me, so no further progress on cloggie #2.

yarnbee
09-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm a sock knitter (top down with heel flap)--do you think I could handle this pattern?

Also, I read somewhere that the pattern is for even sizes. For a women's size 7 should I follow the instructions for 8 and felt it longer? (I have no experience with felting.) :shrug:

Thanks for your help!

JamOKnit
09-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi yarnbee...

I am relatively new to knitting and the pattern is pretty easy for me. The people here are a great resource if you ever get stuck.

I am also doing a women's 8 for a size 7 foot so hopefully that will work out.

Indygirl
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi yarnbee...

I am relatively new to knitting and the pattern is pretty easy for me. The people here are a great resource if you ever get stuck.

I am also doing a women's 8 for a size 7 foot so hopefully that will work out.

yarnbee
09-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Yesterday I went to my LYS and bought the Fiber Trends felted clogs pattern and Cascade 200. I fell in love with a lavendar heather muted with flecks of violet, blue, and even gold for the tops and chose a deep purple solid for the soles. The Cascades site doesn't show these colors so they're either old or too new.

Last night I swatched in the suggested size 13 on my Options circ, then up to a 15 and still didn't get guage. Looks like I'm going to need a 17. Not many brands make a 17 in a 16." The Addi is around $25 and wonder if I'll ever need this size again other than to make lots of these clogs to get a good return on my investment.

Anyway, thanks for all your encouragement and suggestions!

Have a happy knitting weekend.

Lady Violet
09-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Yesterday I went to my LYS and bought the Fiber Trends felted clogs pattern and Cascade 200. I fell in love with a lavendar heather muted with flecks of violet, blue, and even gold for the tops and chose a deep purple solid for the soles. The Cascades site doesn't show these colors so they're either old or too new.

Last night I swatched in the suggested size 13 on my Options circ, then up to a 15 and still didn't get guage. Looks like I'm going to need a 17. Not many brands make a 17 in a 16." The Addi is around $25 and wonder if I'll ever need this size again other than to make lots of these clogs to get a good return on my investment.

Have a happy knitting weekend.

i haven't done the clogs yet, but really want to eventually. could you get maybe a 32" circ and use magic loop?

Indygirl
09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
[quote=yarnbee;955910]Yesterday I went to my LYS and bought the Fiber Trends felted clogs pattern and Cascade 200. I fell in love with a lavendar heather muted with flecks of violet, blue, and even gold for the tops and chose a deep purple solid for the soles. The Cascades site doesn't show these colors so they're either old or too new.

Have a happy knitting weekend..

yarnbee
09-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Correction--I meant to type 220 because that's what I'm using.
Pattern is knit flat even though circs are specified. LYS staffer told me she's made several pairs and both lengths are needed. I bought the 16" in a size 17 yesterday (about $25-ouch!) and got gauge. Cast on the 57 sts and realized I should've been using the 24" for this part of the pattern. Of course, I realized this at 10PM Saturday night and the LYS doesn't reopen until Tuesday. :wall: Meanwhile, will have to find something else to do (besides laundry, chores and showing up at work) such as the dreaded frogging of a toe on a second sock.

misstialouise
09-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I have everything to make them..... except time... :D I don't think I'll be making these until '08 somehow.. :S

SusanMarie1956
09-12-2007, 10:06 PM
How in the world do you KNIT a shoe???

JamOKnit
09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
OK, clogs are on hold because I have to quickly knit up a hat and mitts for my friend's soon to be born little boy! Her shower is in two weeks so I've got to get a move on!
Then it's back to clogs, and hopefully multiple pairs since I think they'll make great gifts for Christmas!

colleenm
09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi there.
Could someone tell me if the pattern is available somewhere? I did an internet search and while the pattern I found is inexpensive ($5), the site wanted another $6 for shipping! Anyone have a downloadable file?
Also, how difficult are these for a new knitter? I would love to try this out - I think they'd make some great Christmas gifts for my college-aged daughter and her friends!

Thanks!

Indygirl
09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
[quote=colleenm;960971]Hi there.
Could someone tell me if the pattern is available somewhere? I did an internet search and while the pattern I found is inexpensive ($5), the site wanted another $6 for shipping! Anyone have a downloadable file?
Also, how difficult are these for a new knitter? I would love to try this out - I think they'd make some great Christmas gifts for my college-aged daughter and her friends!

knitting4-2girls
09-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello all,

I just started these clogs the other night and they are knitting up very fast. I am almost to the outer sole on the first clog. I'm making them for my DH. Then if I do well with them, then I'll make a pair for me and a pair for my mom.

So far, no problems. I'm a pretty new knitter and its going well, but I haven't gotten to the hard parts yet either. :)

yarnbee
09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Bought the #17 Addis ($$$!) and started the clogs over the weekend. As you may recall from my earlier post, I couldn't get gauge with 13 or even 15. Completed the sole--major struggle doing the m1 increase on a slick Addi--and about half of the foot. I can't believe how huge these clogs are. I know they'll shrink when felted, but has anyone else used a #17 to knit these?

I'm not using the suede sole, but haven't decided whether to do the bumper or not. Has anyone made them both ways and which do you prefer? It seems like the bumper would make one's feet look really huge? What d'yall think?

Thanks and have a good week.

Indygirl
09-17-2007, 02:46 PM
[quote=yarnbee;962628]Bought the #17 Addis ($$$!) and started the clogs over the weekend. As you may recall from my earlier post, I couldn't get gauge with 13 or even 15. Completed the sole--major struggle doing the m1 increase on a slick Addi--and about half of the foot. I can't believe how huge these clogs are. I know they'll s

I'm not using the suede sole, but haven't decided whether to do the bumper or not. Has anyone made them both ways and which do you prefer? It seems like the bumper would make one's feet look really huge? What d'yall think

JamOKnit
09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Colleenm, I bought the pattern from Diva Knitting online, I think it was around $5. She's got some other great stuff in her store, though, so maybe you can buy the yarn and other stuff to qualify for free shipping!

colleenm
09-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Rats! I just checked and they are sold out! My LYS was sold out today too! I've already ordered the yarn and it's on the way. I hope I can find this pattern somewhere - it would be silly to pay $6.95 in shipping for a $5 pattern.

knitknut
09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Yarnbee - I vote for the bumper. I've made with and without and like with better.

There are at least two other KALs in here about the FT clogs. If you go cruising through them you should find lots of pics and advice on making the clogs. They do make great gifts, especially when given unfelted. The look on the recipients face is hilarious. :roflhard:

new_knitter
09-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I am thinking of buying the Fiber Trends felted clogs pattern and making these as Christmas gifts this year (hope this does goes fast like I read in some of your posts!) My question is since it is a gift for someone else, how do you know when the size is right to stop felting?

Also, I have only knit a couple of scarves, a Booga Bag and a Mezza Luna purse. So if I am crazy to attempt these as gifts this year, someone please tell me!

Thanks!
Lori :)

OTN - Lion Brand Cozy Slipper Socks

new_knitter
09-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Coleenm,

I am looking to buy the clog pattern as well. If you find another site that has free shipping on patterns or find a downloadable pattern, please let me know.

Thanks,
Lori

new_knitter
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Colleenm,

If you are still looking for the felt clog pattern, I just ordered one from the Ebay seller listed below $7.27 including shipping. Hope this helps!

Lori

http://cgi.ebay.com/FELT-CLOGS-by-BEV-GALESKAS-FIBER-TRENDS_W0QQitemZ130152114513QQihZ003QQcategoryZ146 369QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

new_knitter
09-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I have my pattern and some gorgeous Cascade Quatro in Antigua and Cascade 220 Heather in Peacock. I can't wait to get started on my first clogs. I plan to do several this year (over optimistic mayyyyybe) so I hope this KAL is still going!

jcmom
09-27-2007, 10:03 AM
There is so much help on this site for these clogs. When I first started mine, I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be happening. Once you get the hang of it, it makes sense. For me it's one of those patterns that I have to concentrate on with no distractions. As far as sizing for another person, that's a tricky one. I've only made them for myself and a friend that has the same size foot I do. I've only used straight needles and they turn out fine. Good luck, you can do it.

new_knitter
09-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Thank you for the advice jcmom :)

I am a tad intimidated by the pattern. :shock:

There's a lot more detail in the instructions than what I have done previously. I think I can tackle it though. I am starting tomorrow on the way to the beach :woohoo:

I won't knit much once we are there, but there's a nice looooonnnnnngggggg drive for me to :X:

Thanks again!

Slybella
10-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Well I had not trouble knitting my DS's child sized clogs.
But, on the adult pattern AC-33 I am confused with row 31
it reads.

Row31: Slip 1, P23(23,25/27,29),ssk,k3(1,1/1,1).

I am the second size so I would: Slip 1, P23,ssk,... then do I k3 once or do I k4?

Then Row 33 reads:

Row 33: Slip1,k12(10,11/12,13),k2tog,k1,ssk,k12(10,11/12,13),ssk,k2(1,1/1,1),turn.

So I Slip 1, then knit 12 or 10?

This is very confusing to me please help.

Thxs, Sherri

Ingrid
10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
For the second size you would sl1, p23, ssk, k1 for row 31.

Row 32 - sl1, k10, k2tog, k1, ssk, k10, ssk, k1, turn.

It helps to highlight all the directions for your size which would be the first number in the parentheses.

Slybella
10-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Thxs for the reply Ingrid. But it is still confusing. In Row 31

Why do they have the k3 at all since all sizes are k1?

And in Row 33

Row 33: Slip1,k12(10,11/12,13),k2tog,k1,ssk,k12(10,11/12,13),ssk,k2(1,1/1,1),turn.

Why say k12(10,11/12,12) instead of k10(10,11/12,12).

Ingrid
10-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Thxs for the reply Ingrid. But it is still confusing. In Row 31

Why do they have the k3 at all since all sizes are k1?

And in Row 33

Why say k12(10,11/12,12) instead of k10(10,11/12,12).

You use the red instructions.

JamOKnit
10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
OK, so I finished clog #2 last night...they're not perfect but hopefully some of that will wash out with felting. I did the bumper wrong somehow on the second clog, it doesn't look exactly like the first. But these are just for me, and hey, I can always make myself another pair! :)

Will take pics tonight and attempt to felt!

knitknut
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
JamO - congrats on finishing your first pair! One thing to keep in mind when working on the bumper is to have the sole facing you. If the sole is facing you the bumper will curl down, if the sole is facing away from you the bumper will curl up. They will look slightly different when felted, but not bad. You are probably the only one that will notice.

JamOKnit
10-02-2007, 01:55 PM
When it says to hold the two needles together and knit, I think that was where I was having the problem. It was really hard to do, my stitches kept sliding off the smaller needle that I was using to hold the clog edge!

I'll try to take pics to illustrate.

JamOKnit
10-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Pics!!! Drying in progress! I think most of the mistakes felted out, or are at least not noticeable anymore... :woot:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Diana74/Knitting%20projects/clogs1done.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Diana74/Knitting%20projects/clogs1drying.jpg