PDA

View Full Version : Malabrigo Yarn

knitwit2
08-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I just bought some malabrigo yarn and I love it. I don't know what to knit with it. I was going to knit a scarf but I can't find a pattern that I love. I sure don't want to knit just anything with this beautiful yarn!!! What has everybody knitted with malabrigo?

Thanks

Celine
08-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I recently purchased two hanks of my very first Mmmmmm yarn too. I love how soft it is. I do plan to knit scarves with it. I got two different dyed hanks so just enough. But they should be pretty.

snephenie
08-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I did the Irish Hiking Scarf (http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm)with mine. I LOVE it!

KellyK
08-27-2006, 01:02 PM
How much do you have?

Ive knit several scarves with it, a few felted Sophie bags, I have MMmmmalabrigo in my stash for a cropped cardigan and a pullover.

Andrea has knit socks from it.

You will need 2 hanks for a scarf of decent length.

I would wear Malabrigo UNDERWEAR, I swear! Your options are ENDLESS, my friend!! :cheering:

momwolf
08-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Where can you buy Malabrigo yarn :shrug:

Chel
08-27-2006, 03:26 PM
If you go to www.malabrigoyarn.com they have a "Find a Shop" link so you can find the closest LYS that carries it!

momwolf
08-27-2006, 03:30 PM
so I can't get it at say Knitpix?Or on line?

CateKnits
08-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm knitting a scrunchable scarf with my first Malabrigo. Using a multiple of three, it's K2P1 every row. It makes a column of knits, one of purls, and one of garter all the way down on both sides.

feministmama
08-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I just got a newsletter from my LYS that says they are selling it!!!!! :happydance: I'm in soooooooo much trouble :pout:

Vendie
08-27-2006, 05:02 PM

WEBS carries it - yarn.com. They've got most of the colors, but sometimes their stock levels leave much to be desired!

knitwit2
08-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to knit the one cable scarf in the OneSkein book. I am knitting a Irish Hiking Scarf for my dad and I love how it is turning out. I am using Mission Falls Wool for that one though.

Amber
08-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm knitting a scrunchable scarf with my first Malabrigo.

Me too!! It is sooooooooooo soft!! :inlove:

knitwit2
08-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Amber and CateKnits how many did you cast-on for your scrunchable scarf?

knitwit2
08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
When you knit the scrunchable scarf I knit K2P1 until the end of the row but I can only do K2 is that okay? I think it is the two selvage stitches you cast on. Does this mean that I should K1 on both ends of the row?

Thanks so much.

brendajos
08-27-2006, 10:56 PM

You can also get it at Personal Threads. (http://www.personalthreads.com/newsite/colorpages/malabrigo/) They generally have a pretty good supply of various weights and colorways.

brendajos
08-27-2006, 10:58 PM
oh! pay attention to the lengths when you are searching though. If i recall correctly the bulky weight yarn is only either 65 or 85 yards (or something like that) whereas the worsted is 215.

Amber
08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Amber and CateKnits how many did you cast-on for your scrunchable scarf?

I cast-on 20 sts. I only have one skein, so it's going to be somewhat narrow, but should be plenty long enough.

When you knit the scrunchable scarf I knit K2P1 until the end of the row but I can only do K2 is that okay? I think it is the two selvage stitches you cast on. Does this mean that I should K1 on both ends of the row?

You need a multiple of three stitches for the pattern (K2, P1) plus two selvage stitches. You slip the first stitch of each row purl-wise, and knit the last stitch. So, for each row it's: Slip one, *K2, P1* repeat until the last stitch, K1.

CateKnits
08-27-2006, 11:20 PM
I think mine is 26 stitches, including the two edge stitches. I'm using size 10 needles so it's a little less dense and more scrunchy. It doesn't seem loose at all, though. I :heart: it! I've got two skeins, but I'm not going to make it two skeins long. I think I'm going make a Coif from Knitty from the rest.

knitwit2
08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks Amber. I'm going to start it now.

knitwit2
08-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks to you also, CateKnits.

momwolf
08-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Thanks Brendajos great site :muah:

KellyK
08-28-2006, 07:57 AM
I think mine is 26 stitches, including the two edge stitches. I'm using size 10 needles so it's a little less dense and more scrunchy. It doesn't seem loose at all, though. I :heart: it! I've got two skeins.

I do the same # of sts and use the same sz needles as Cate. I make the scarf about 1.5 skeins long. and then keep the rest of the yarn for petting. :oops:

knitwit2
08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Does everybody do the selvage stitches like Amber? She said to slip the first stitch and knit the last stitch. My borders on my scarf don't look the same. One you can see the knit stitch and the other end you can see the slip stitch is that how it is suppose to be?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want it to be right will this beautiful yarn.

Amber
08-28-2006, 11:26 AM
If you slip the first stitch purl-wise (make sure the yarn is in front) and knit the last stitch on every row, it should give you a nice, neat, smooth edge on both sides. Make sure you're slipping the first stitch purl-wise though with the working yarn in front, or you'll get a small bump.

HTH!

knitwit2
08-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Amber, I do slip in purlwise but then I have to knit the next stitch so the working yarn goings behind so I can knit it. I usually understand things quickly. The edges just don't look right to me. :shrug:

Amber
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Amber, I do slip in purlwise but then I have to knit the next stitch so the working yarn goings behind so I can knit it. I usually understand things quickly. The edges just don't look right to me. :shrug:

Yep, that's right. Slip with the yarn in front, then move it to the back to knit the next stitch.

I took a picture of mine to show you. Sorry it's a bit blurry.

knitwit2
08-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks Amber. I went down needle size and it seems to look better. I was using a 10 1/2 needle and went down to 10. Thanks for all your help. I love your colorway on your scarf. You did say that was Mmmmm yarn?

Amber
08-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Yep, I'm using Mmmmmmmmm :inlove: It's the "Brownberries" colorway.

I'm using a size 9 needle.

knitwit2
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
I am using Tiger Lily. It is a orange color. I will take a picture when I get a little bit further. Thanks for everything Amber. I saw on your blog that you have two boys. How old are they? I have two boys also and they are 14 on October 1st and they other one is 11.

ladyindica2000
08-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I am using mine to make Fetching. So soft and snuggly! I love the scrunchable scarf idea... maybe I will make a matching scarf too.

Amber
08-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I am using Tiger Lily. It is a orange color. I will take a picture when I get a little bit further. Thanks for everything Amber. I saw on your blog that you have two boys. How old are they? I have two boys also and they are 14 on October 1st and they other one is 11.

How funny! My boys are 4.5 and 14 mos. I just noticed that you're in Littleton -- we are going to be moving to the Denver area next Spring/Summer (we're looking at Centennial or maybe Parker). How do you like it there? And I guess more importantly, are there any good LYS nearby? :D