PDA

View Full Version : FO - Wavy Lace Shawl Photo on page 1

CarmenIbanez
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Here is my progress so far. Here (www.vogueknitting.com/exclusives.shtml) is the free pattern from the Vogue Knitting Site. It is labeled as "ruffles shawl 15", but it is the same pattern as "Wavy Lace" from the magazine.

I am using Panache from Knitpicks in Dusk. You can see it here (www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420137/yarn_display.aspx)

You start the main part of the wrap first. Then when you are done, you do the edge lace pattern on each end.
[/url]

Below is the finished piece being modeled by my good sport of a son who made me promise not to put his face in the pic!

Amber
08-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Oooh, that's pretty! Gorgeous color too!

rebecca
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Oh, it's SO PRETTY!! I can't wait to start mine!!!!! Del (Cozy) has done one, too....check it out here (http://cozysplace.blogspot.com/2006/04/shawl-is-done.html), pretty, hmmm?!

CarmenIbanez
08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh thanks for that link Rebecca! It is nice to see another angle of the pattern. I was thinking mine was more hole-y than the picture with the pattern. But it looks like mine is working up just right. I am so excited!

rebecca
08-28-2006, 03:19 PM
You are welcome, I think Del (Cozy on here) did her's a few months ago, beginning of spring or around there.
I'm getting quite excited...I believe I'm going to finish what I have on the needles and start on it and let the other 2 projects I was going to knit first come in after the shawl!

callmesusan
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
That is beautiful!! I am envious of your knitting abilities. I have started Cozy twice and rolled the yarn back into a ball twice. I think I am forgetting to yarn over or something, because I keep ending the rows with the wrong number of stitiches. Any advice?

rebecca
08-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Are you using st markers when knitting your Cozy? I always use a cheat sheet, this helps me stay on track. I copy and paste the lace pattern and increase the font size..I then pop the pattern in a page protector so I can easily use my magnetic board and magnetic strip on each row of the pattern. I then quickly count each lace repeat as I get to the next marker...I know this sounds tedious, but it works for me, I count fast and get in the routine of counting and it becomes 2nd nature while knitting.

Jan in CA
08-29-2006, 04:11 PM
That is just gorgeous!! :inlove:

CarmenIbanez
08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
I am pretty bad about counting stitches and such. I do the pattern and after a few rows I count and check. I am being more careful now than I have in the past, as when I finished my last sweater I was so dissapointed to see a flaw that had not resulted in an inappropriate stitch count, so I never caught it!

I need to buy some cute stitchmarkers. I probably will use them more.

CarmenIbanez
09-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Any one else working on this yet? I have almost finished the "body" of mine. I'll need to do the two edges next. I hope I have enough yarn.

rebecca
09-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I wish I could say that I was, but I'm currently trying to get other projects out of the way before I can begin on mine.
Can't wait to see your FO!

Angelia
09-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, that is beautiful! :inlove: :inlove:

KnittyKitty
09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Gorgeous!

Mama Bear
09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Great work and lovely pattern!

Mama Bear

CarmenIbanez
09-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Well I am about finished with the body (is there an echo in here, cause I could swear I've heard that before). It is quite a bit longer than I realized. It should end up about 74" long altogether, although I think mine will be more around 70". I also will need to block it.

I can never remember, do you weave in the ends first and then block?

rebecca
09-29-2006, 05:14 PM
:yay: :yay: WTG, I can't wait to see it! I can't wait to start mine (after this project, I think!). I weave in ends then block.

CarmenIbanez
10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I do not like the border at all. I may rip it out and redo it with a smaller needle size. It's just too loose looking. I'll post a pic later.

callmesusan
10-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Here is the free pattern from the Vogue Knitting Site.

Carmen, I went to the hyperlink, and it looks like the pattern there is only corrections to the pattern in the mag. Do I not know what I am doing?

CarmenIbanez
10-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Let me try again. Okay, try this link. It is not the original pattern, which is in the magazine, but it is the only pattern I have been using for the project. Everything you need to know is on this (www.vogueknitting.com/pdf/exclusives-vkf05_web_chart15.pdf) page. If you can't see it, go to the Vogue Knitting site and click on "Charts". It's #15.

rebecca
10-04-2006, 01:48 PM
What are you going to do to correct the problem since you didn't like the border? Are you just using smaller needles?
I'm so sorry that you didn't like the look of the borders, but I agree, I would do the same thing, rip it and knit it until you like what you see :wink:

CarmenIbanez
10-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Yes. That is exactly what I am going to do. I am waiting for my options needles to come and I am going to redo it with smaller needles. It is too gorgeous and I have worked too hard to just leave it not being happy.

rebecca
10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I can't wait to see it!!! I will be so happy to complete the top I'm working on for my sister, then I am going to begin mine, too :cheering: I am using Lamb's Pride, it's been patiently awaiting use since last Christmas!

CarmenIbanez
10-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Tonight I will post pictures of what it looks like now, and then I'll post pics again when I redo the border.

callmesusan
10-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Thank you Carmen! I think yours is lovely, and I can't wait to see more photos.

CarmenIbanez
10-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Okay, so here it is. Upon closer inspection and compared to the magazine photo, it isn't THAT bad. But it still isn't good enough for me. The body looks so perfect and even, I just want the border to be a little tighter.

Thoughts?

callmesusan
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, if you ask me it is fabulous!

gimmesanity
10-05-2006, 11:46 PM
It's gorgeous! Maybe it looks different to you because it's yours - we're always our worst critic, you know? I love the color, btw.

rebecca
10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I think it looks great!
But, if you don't like it, you don't like it! Do what make you happy. I can see what you mean, if I look really hard and only because you pointed it out! You have worked long and hard on this gorgeous shawl, if you want to redo the border, you go for it, I would do the exact same thing if I were not 100% happy with it :wink:

It is stunningly gorgeous!
I can't wait to start mine!

CarmenIbanez
10-06-2006, 12:40 PM
It is only 27 rows and only took me one evening. Upong closer examination of the magazine picture, my husband decided it was perfect in comparison. But I am going to re-do it anyway. If it turns out the same, then I will be satisfied that it is a manifest of the pattern. Now if only my options needles would arrive!

rebecca
10-06-2006, 04:08 PM
LOL, I would do the same thing, too, if I felt like you do about a pattern. No biggie :wink:

hedgehog
10-10-2006, 10:20 PM
wow... that is one GORGEOUS piece of knitting.... *slurp!!*

makes me want to run out and buy yarn to do one as well! but here's a possbily silly question - how do you know how much yarn to buy and what weight? is it a bit of a crap shoot if you don't have the magazine?

-hh

CarmenIbanez
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I would say that you could just PM me a reminder and I'll look it up for you and let you know. :-)

Jan in CA
10-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I think it's gorgeous!! :cheering:

Jaxhil
10-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Its *beautiful*!!!! I loooove the color, what a gorgeous shawl! How many balls of Panache did it take? I bet it feels lovely too!

Cristy
10-15-2006, 10:14 AM
That is so beautiful! Now I remember why I took a vacation from this site...I see so much beautiful work that I either hate my own or get so many projects piled up that I feel overwhelmed. Anyway--enough moaning about me--Honestly Carmen--it is SOOO beautiful!

gimmesanity
10-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh my gosh - that's stunning!!!

CarmenIbanez
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, I didn't make mine as wide as the pattern calls for, because it was a bigger yarn. But it didn't really turn out wide enough I don't think. I am pretty sure I ordered 14 balls of panache and I think I used every last one. It is long, the pattern calls for it to end up 74" long. I think mine is 70".

rebecca
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
GORGEOUS :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: