PDA

View Full Version : Jack Skellington Doll

spooky
08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I saw this link

http://verasunshyne.blogspot.com/2006/07/i-knitted-jack-skellington.html

earlier this week and thought "How cool!!!" Jack Skellington is one of my all time favorite characters and with Halloween and Christmas coming up it seems like the perfect little guy to have hanging around the house. Plus a realy cutie as a gift for any fan.

Would anyone like to join me on making him?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
OMG!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

beckyrhae
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
count me in! I think I'll secretly knit this for my daughter (if it turns out well maybe I'll make a few for her friends too!)

spooky
08-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Cool Beans!!! I'm gonna make a couple, too. My one year old nephew should get a kick out of it. And my buddy Skinner who hid with me in the shadows of the goth kids, too shy to be seen, is gonna get one too !!!

Gonna start on my little army tomorrow !!!!!

spooky
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I got the body and the head knitted up and now I am on the i-cord for the arms and legs. I am really stumped on how many stitches to cast on to make the i-cord. I am just doing it in red heart. I tried 4 and that looks too skinny. Any suggestions ? The pattern doesn't say.

beckyrhae
08-30-2006, 02:34 PM
hrmm... i would have done 4 too. I would try several, i-cords go quick enough to try several different ones.

ecuzzacrea
08-30-2006, 05:17 PM
thanks for the pattern. my Mom will love this!

i think i'll make her one for Halloween. :)

thischicknits
08-30-2006, 07:12 PM
I am SO in! Just in time for Halloween...
thanks for the link!

spooky
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I have decided that I was probably just doing the I-cord wrong. I haven't done one in a while. I only have one pair of double pointed needles (quit gasping lol I have a hard time knitting on them because of my fingers not bending as well as regular peoples lol) and the are size 6. So, for the arms I co 3 and for the legs I co 5. I thought maybe the legs should be just a tad more meater. I went out to Wally World this morning and got a piece of felt. I was so happy with the price. It was only 24 cents. I thought it would be more of a rip off lol. I have never bought it before. As of right now I am working on the 2nd leg i-cord. I should have that done soon (I'm getting bored with making all the i-cords. Not that exciting like the body and head were :teehee: ). Then I will be off to sewing my little man together. I think I might lightly mark the face on with a pen and then sew over it. I'm not the best seamstress when it comes to sewing faces. The only thing I really ever sew are boy scout badges. Well, I'm off to add some more inches to my other leg !!!

Sara
08-30-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm in! I bought the yarn last week. DD :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: the movie, she is going to go nuts over the doll. I'm going to lay him on her pillow while she's sleeping when I finish him. :teehee:

spooky
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, I got my 1st Jack Doll done this morning. I did do a big WOOPSI !!! LOL. It's really no big deal in my opinion, but I could have avoided it. I sewed the body on upsidedown lol. I wasn't looking at the pattern and sewed the head to the little end and the legs to the big end of the body. Can I hear a "DOH!!!"? I didn't realize it until I went over to the computer and was trying to figure out his collar. My husband told me just to undo everything... and I would have, but I did like tripple stitches over everything to make sure Jack wouldn't come apart. I decided that was too much trouble hehe.

I found out using a start cookie cutter as a stencil makes a nice collar for Jack. I used a yellow highlighter to trace the cookie cutter onto the black felt. I found out that none of my other markers would show up on the felt.

For the eyes I cut out tear drop shapes and then super-glued them to the head to keep them in place and then sewed over the eyes to make sure they would stay.

For the mouth, I outlined it in black marker and then sewed over it with my thread.

I'm not that good at free-handing things with a needle and thread lol.

I wish I could post a picture of my finished Jack right now, but I can't seem to find the camera. Hubby has been on a business trip all week. He came home last night and I have no idea where he put the camera. I'm really hoping he left it in the car and not at the airport or on the plane :doh: !!!!

Hold up lol !!!! I just got an e-mail from Hubby and he says the camera is safe and sound with him at work!! Wow was I worried lol!! So, I can post a picture of little fat (LOL) Jack when he comes home from work tonight!!!

A little advice hehehe...... Don't start sewing things on if you are watching Chris Angel's Mindfreak!!! It will distract you :rofl: !!!!

beckyrhae
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Yay! I cant wait to see your pictures.

spooky
08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Here's my upside down Jack !!!! I just started on the 2nd member of my army and I have already promised myself that this one will get put together correctly :oops: . But this Jack probably site better than one with a skinny bum :teehee: .

beckyrhae
09-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Hes so cute!

Stiney
09-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey, I just started this and I have the body knitted up and almost all seamed. I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives to going out and buying stuffing, or if I should just suck it up and buy the stuffing? (I have to go to a craft store for the felt anyway, so it's not a HUGE deal)

Thanks so much!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-24-2006, 08:00 PM
You could use yarn for the stuffing... the old crappy acrylic you want to get rid of :D Or, if you are a seamstress, save those extra little strings of fabric and use that for stuffing; I save all mine when I make quilts, and then use them to stuff small pillows or sachets.

Stiney
09-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Leftover yarn...that...that..THAT'S BRILLIANT!

Thank you Hildie!

Stiney
10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Finished! :) He is now sitting on the bed of his new owner. He's a bit more wobbly than I would like, but that's okay!

spooky
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
HOW CUTE ! ! ! ! !

Yarnlady
10-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I avoided looking at this thread thinking I would never be able to do it. Toys and I generally don't get along. Anyhooooo, this looks nice and simple and I have a Jack Skellington superfan in my house, so.... I guess I'll be working on this, too! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/jack-o-lantern.gif

punkhippiemom
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
My boys were just asking me to make them Jack dolls!! :roflhard: I have no idea where they got the idea, but hey, here it is! (and, I may just have to make one for me, too.... :shifty: )