PDA

View Full Version : Is this enough yarn for a shawl?

knitmonkey
08-30-2006, 09:40 AM
I have one skein of Lion Brand chunky wool-ease in a now-discontinued color. I love this color (Huckleberry, magenta) and I'd like to make my mom a shawl with it, but I'm not sure I have enough. I've looked on eBay and I can't find any more of this color, so it looks like I'm stuck with just the one skein.

The label claims that the skein contains 153 yards of yarn. Do I have enough to make a simple triangle shawl on size 15 needles?

Thanks for the help, I'm still getting the hang of this knitting business.

rebecca
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey KnitMonkey :waving:
I'm going to have to say probably not, most shawl patterns that I've seen call for a few hundred yards of yarn, sorry.
You might have enough for a little hat!

knitmonkey
08-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Rebecca. I suspected that I didn't have enough, but I wanted to check. I'll just have to go out and buy something else for the shawl. Oh darn, a trip to the yarn store! :teehee:

rebecca
08-30-2006, 12:43 PM
You are welcome!
Hey, a trip to the yarn store...now, that's fun :cheering:
do you have a shawl in mind? Have you found the pattern? What yarn do you think you want? LOL, I find that going to the yarn store is alot like grocery shopping, I do best with a list...LOL.

psammeadred
08-30-2006, 11:33 PM
I made a fairly long, ~8 inch wide basketweave scarf for my brother out of one skein of WoolEase Chunky. You could always do a point-up triangle and see how far you get.

suzeeq
08-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Yep, that would be a different scarf/neck wrap.

sue