PDA

View Full Version : What Not To Knit - the latest

CindyH
08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I find this (http://whatnottoknit.wordpress.com/2006/08/30/hairy-mohair-catsuit/) so entertaining and scary, and I just had to share it! I took a look at the seller's items being bid on, and also feedback, because I just could not believe that people would pay so much money to look so....unflatteringly (is that a word?) ridiculous (imho). :shock: But apparently, people do...

I don't get it.

Angelia
08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
I've seen the mohair pants, but never the entire suit! :shock:

One of the comments suggests fetish culture, and I think that poster may be onto something. Who'd buy this? People who dress as animals and...pet one another...yep, it's not just a CSI episode ("Fur and Loathing in Las Vegas"); it's real. They're Furries. They have conventions. Go here (http://pressedfur.coolfreepages.com/press/vanityfair/) to see what I mean.

kashadilla
08-31-2006, 06:27 PM
AHhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahaha!!!
I've seen things like this on ebay too. Once I saw someone claimed that their house was haunted and that they got the ghost trapped in a jar, and sold the jar for hundreds. Then a guy was selling (and I quote) an "A$$ kicking" and he would personally travel to the highest bidders home and beat the crap out of them. What???
Ebay is crazy.

rebecca
08-31-2006, 06:30 PM
LOL, that's just wrong :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

Friskums
08-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I've seen the mohair pants, but never the entire suit! :shock:

One of the comments suggests fetish culture, and I think that poster may be onto something. Who'd buy this? People who dress as animals and...pet one another...yep, it's not just a CSI episode ("Fur and Loathing in Las Vegas"); it's real. They're Furries. They have conventions. Go here (http://pressedfur.coolfreepages.com/press/vanityfair/) to see what I mean.

...Not all furries are dirty... Not that, uh, I would know, or anything... :shifty:

Angelia
08-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Oh, I didn't mean that Furries are dirty! It's a lifestyle--I find it fascinating!

Weird Ebay: A guy sold himself to be a date to the prom for someone, and of course there's the infamous Virgin-Mary-in-a-grilled-cheese-sandwich...

The a$$-kicking thing is hilarious! :roflhard: :roflhard:

CindyH
08-31-2006, 06:38 PM

I remember that episode of CSI..it was hilarious! The huge mohair jumpsuits and sweaters still boggle my mind more though, cuz of the cost AND cuz they look like they're supposed to be someone's weird idea of an outfit... whereas the furrie costumes are well, costumes...

400+, 200+ bucks can buy you a much more beautiful knit item, darn it!!!

Celine
08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
That suit is a riot. I don't blame the person for pulling it up over her/his head. :shrug: I would not want to be seen wearing it either. :roflhard:

Angelia
08-31-2006, 06:40 PM
That CSI episode is hysterical!

Oh I agree about the money thing, too. I'd rather spend that money on some cashmere...low-end cashmere, probably, but still!

Friskums
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh, I didn't mean that Furries are dirty! It's a lifestyle--I find it fascinating!

Weird Ebay: A guy sold himself to be a date to the prom for someone, and of course there's the infamous Virgin-Mary-in-a-grilled-cheese-sandwich...

The a$$-kicking thing is hilarious! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Well, some of them are. :rofl:

My friend sold herself as a penpal. For like $5 a letter or something she'd be your penpal.

She got some guy to pay her $300 a month for letters! :shock:

Angelia
08-31-2006, 06:57 PM
My friend sold herself as a penpal. For like $5 a letter or something she'd be your penpal.

She got some guy to pay her $300 a month for letters! :shock:

Seriously? I'll write letters for that kind of cash, no problem!

Wait....

What kind of letters did she have to write? :rofl:

CindyH
08-31-2006, 07:02 PM
:teehee: Who knew Ebay could be so entertaining? I always enjoyed the "Stuff We Found on Ebay" segment on Leno. It's crazy what people will pay money for!

I'll write letters for $300 too - shoot!!

Friskums
08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Just normal letters.

The guy wanted a penpal and didn't want to have to keep track of how many were written or how much he owed or anything. So, he just said he'd pay a bulk sum.

I'd write letters, but I'm a terrible letter writer. :teehee:

CateKnits
08-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Ang, you should come to my school if you want to see some furries. Really. It's...uhh...interesting.

gardenmommy
08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Do you think those are machine knit? How can she crank them out that quickly?

Angelia
08-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Ang, you should come to my school if you want to see some furries. Really. It's...uhh...interesting.

Do they attend class as Furries?! :noway:

When I was an undergrad, we had a guy who dressed like Captain Kirk every day ... :rofl:

EssenceRose
09-01-2006, 01:03 AM
I say more power to her. People are bidding on them... and she can knit them. Actually, I find it quite rude some of the comments posted on that website about her. I don't blame her one bit for asking for her photos to be taken down due to copyright.

We as a culture are so quick to judge what we don't understand. I know because I admit to being guilty of it myself... but there were people on that site calling her some nasty names -- and for what? Knitting something that most people wouldn't wear?? *sigh*

Or maybe it's just my pregnancy hormones talking. I don't know...

aylaanne
09-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Do you think those are machine knit? How can she crank them out that quickly?
Woah, who said you could bring the conversation back on-topic? :teehee:

SandraEllen
09-01-2006, 07:31 AM
OMG!!! did you guys go to the ebay site???

She's selling willy warmers!!

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

Starry
09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Willy warmers... :roflhard:

Why would someone use a willy-warmer...if you're outside in the cold...usually you put on underwear...not just a knitted sock...

Maybe they're for nudists when it gets nippy at night? Or...Hey...maybe those ideas aren't so odd after-all...But still, wouldn't it be too scratchy to be comfortable?

candicane
09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
I am just itchy all over thinking of that suit!

Candice

mulene
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
haha shes the crazy english knitter from the north of england! The link was in the thread about "you knit what" closing down - someone made the comment in the comments on the "farewell" post. I reposted the link to the ebay auction here then I looked at her other items for sale. I about choked with laughter.

I never saw the CSI thing but I did find a furries site that was certainly eye opening lmao These suits go for like $150 +

meriellyn
09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
OMG that terrifies me because I'm somewhat claustrophbic and absolutely loathe mohair. Just thinking about it makes me itch.