PDA

View Full Version : How much of each color do I need?

ctmax
09-02-2006, 11:44 AM
I am making this sweater for my son. http://www.minidata.co.nz/major/gallery/wallaby/wallaby.htm
I have decided to use swish superwash yarn. I have figured out I need 12 balls total. I am making the train, the bottom ribbing and sleeve ribbing in black I am not doing the hood or the train tracks. My question is how much black would you order and how much red. :shrug: I was thinking maybe 4 balls of black would be enough, but I'm really not sure.

Ingrid
09-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think you really need 4--that sounds like a lot. I'd probably get 1-2 for just the ribbing and train. How did you come up with 12 balls total? That would be 1320 yards--enough for an adult sweater.

ctmax
09-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm making the wonderful wallaby in the largest size for kid. It says I need 5 balls at 240 yards. So with my calculations that means I was wrong and only need 11 balls, because the swish comes in 110 yard lengths. Correct me if I'm wrong though? So would you still only get 2 balls of black. The body is 134 stitchs and ribbed for 3 inches and the sleeves are 40 stitches and ribbed for 3". Although 3" seems a bit much to me I'm thinking of changing both to 2". Any advise would be appriciated. :wink:

Ingrid
09-02-2006, 05:29 PM
According to my Yarn Requirement chart, you can make a child's size 10 sweater with 1135 yards, at 5 st per inch; and 900 yds at 4 st per inch. You're not doing the hood, so there's yarn you don't need. The pocket will use more than a regular sweater, though, too.

I always tend to overbuy yarn (which is obvious if you look at my stash), but I do feel that 2 balls is enough for the ribbing. As for the rest? I realize that the pattern calls for that much, but it seems like a lot to me. I guess you could always make a hat to match.

I don't want to say buy significantly less and have you run out, but I'm looking that the chart here, and it just sounds like a lot to me. :shrug:

ctmax
09-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Sorry I am making the hood I'm just not putting the black around the hood. I will probably still order 11 balls. It's not like I won't use the extra yarn for something.

Ingrid
09-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Ah! I missed that.

My motto is "better too much than too little" :shifty: Plus a few more for good measure. :lol:

ctmax
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all your help. :muah: Well I'm off to order yarn :out: