PDA

View Full Version : ORGANIZE YOUR STASH

rebecca
09-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Calling All Knitters!
Let's get organized. I did and I feel so much better!!!
My good friend, horve1 organized her stash a short time ago and after I talked with her I got the bug, had to organize my stash. So, I did!
Yesterday I went to my local Big Lots and got 3 more 35qt boxes (I already had 4 that were very, very, very full of yarn) so that I could organize....it FEELS SO GOOD :cheering: I discovered that I had more oF this and that yarn, I feel like I've been yarn shopping after finding these yarns that I had forgotten about :cheering:

My books remain in the same place, i need to organize them a bit. My Woolease yarns remain in the same place...in the drawer of the bedroom entertainment center, but all other yarns are in their homes under the bed.

Ahhhh, stash organization, if feels so good....DO IT, you'll see :wink:

SHOW ME YOUR STASH!!!!! FLASH YOUR STASH :cheering: :teehee:

WE ALL WANNA SEE :cheering: :cheering:

letah75
09-02-2006, 02:44 PM
I wish I could do that....All my yarn is all over my office, still in the bags.

kemp
09-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Wow! Great job Rebecca! Can you come up here for a couple of weeks and help me? ;)

DreamWeaver
09-02-2006, 03:05 PM
WOW. That looks great! :thumbsup:

Amber
09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
:thumbsup:

Ingrid
09-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Good looking goodies, Rebecca!

I flashed my stash (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3111&start=5400&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) in my blog the other day, pre-organization.

jberry16
09-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Holy Cow!!! That's a lot of yarn. All of mine fits into a zippered pouch that my king size comforter came it. Wish I had the means to buy some of the really nice yarn. I'm jealous.

EssenceRose
09-02-2006, 07:07 PM
OMG that is a lot of yarn! I'm showing this and Ingrid's thread to DH!! He can't possibly complain about me buying and storing yarn -- cuz it could be worse!!

mks22300
09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Whoa Ingrid! :shock:

rebecca
09-02-2006, 08:18 PM
OMG that is a lot of yarn! I'm showing this and Ingrid's thread to DH!! He can't possibly complain about me buying and storing yarn -- cuz it could be worse!!

Okay, you can't even compare my little bitty stash to Ing a Ling and many, many others around here :wink: I would say mine's about normal, right?! After seeing Ingrid's I've decided that I need to do some shopping :cheering: :cheering:

I must say, I feel much better having organized the stash, but I'm not too pleased with the look of my bedroom now, we are smack dab in the middle of rearranging it! It will remain in it's current state until tomorrow, when I hope I can find some new bedside tables!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-02-2006, 09:22 PM
HOLY CRAP INGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :shock:

LOVES2Knit2011
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
i know! wow...... i tohught i had a lot of yarn i only have a small tote bag full and a roll-up needle case! wow... i need more yarn! yarn stor! 2morrow! :thud: :whoosh:

KnittyKitty
09-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Gadzooks!!!!! Yarn for days!!!! :inlove: There's nothing better than organised yarn! *this coming from a woman who still has her last purchase in the same box it came in!

KnittyKitty
09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Ingrid, I just went over to your blog and almost fainted when I saw your yarn store, uh, stash!!!! Amazing! I bow before your yarniness! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:teehee:

Lisa

newamy
09-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Both Rebecca and Ingrid have way more yarn than I could ever imagine having. Granted I'm new to this knitting thing, but even with my small stock pile I feel bad not having found a way to use it when I go and buy some other kind of yarn. But of course I have to buy more because what I have isn't right for what I'm planning.

Your yarn collections are lovely but how do you cope with the guilt??

Ingrid
09-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Guilt? About what? I knit every single day. It's my sanity and my therapy. Sure I went overboard buying yarn, but guilty about it? Not really. It's not going to go to waste, and there's still food on the table. I can think of worse vices than soft fluffy stuff. :teehee:

rebecca
09-02-2006, 11:41 PM
It really does feel good to get organized!
Knitty, I, too, had yarn in the boxes they came in...you can see some by the TV!
LOL, I readily admit that looking at Ingy's stash makes me want to shop, too :rofl: :roflhard:
I am very, very lucky in that a great deal of the yarn that's in my stash was gifted to my by my Honey :muah:

Your yarn collections are lovely but how do you cope with the guilt??
What guilt would that be?! :wink:

orcoastknitter
09-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I have only been knitting since December of last year. Here are a few pictures of my stash....

It's not very big. I have a lot of fun fur that I bought when I first started knitting. I bought when I was knitting the cat bed out of SnB. I have only since made three, but I might get some done in time for christmas gifts.

Oooh the last picture, I know it's not a picture of my stash, but it was on my camera and I just had to share it. It's a picture of Jake when I went camping last weekend with my folks. Of course I bought some yarn on that trip!

He's a wacky dog!

rebecca
09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
:cheering: Thanks for flashing your stash, Coastie!!! I see that we have similar taste, I noticed some of the same yarns that I have in your stash :cheering:
OMGoodness, that picture of Jake is priceless, I love it :muah:

orcoastknitter
09-03-2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks Becka! I didn't realize how much I have until I took it all out.

After I took the picture, I had to reorganize it. Since it was pretty much stuffed in different places. I actually bought this unit to store my yarn and stuff in. Plus I have some stored in the bookcase on the left. I need to work on getting some of this stuff cleared out so I can buy more!!!!

CarmenIbanez
09-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Rebecca, you could totally have a new career here. A personal yarn organizer! You could fly around the world, visiting everyone from KH and organizing their yarn. The next thing you know, you'll be the Martha Stewart of the yarn organizing world. Mayb you'll even get your own show on HGTV!

CindyH
09-03-2006, 03:51 AM
That pic of Jake is too funny! The way he has his paw on the table totally makes him look like a human, just chillin'.

I will also join in the organized stash flash! I organized my stash fairly recently - originally my yarns were all in 1 huge blue bin. I wanted to display them in a matter that was more aesthetically-pleasing and more motivating to me to use my stash! So I bought a 3-shelf unit with doors (to keep my kitty out!) from the Container Store, and put about 97% of my stash in it. There's something about yarns being stacked neatly on shelves that makes you go :drool: !

And also since I love pet pics, I'm posting a pic of Nermal sleeping in front of me as I type. Note the biscuit tin "pillow" and cardboard "sheet" under his head! :rofl:

blueeyes28
09-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Need more yarn!! I am beginning to think a drug habit would be cheaper than my yarn habit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vendie
09-03-2006, 09:32 AM
My stash isn't nearly as impressive as Rebecca's or Ingrids, but it's definitely growing.

I tend to organize by color. So all my neutrals are together, my blues are together (with the exception of the planet-sized mohair that I forgot to move into the blue bin), etc. My sock yarn is organized by "handpainted" and "everything else." My roving, well, that's just dumped into a bin right now.

dustinac
09-03-2006, 09:52 AM
:drool: love your stash Ingrid!!!

I really need to organize mine cause I forget what I have.. but to organize it would mean cutting into my knitting time :roflhard: so dh will just have to continue to duck and open the closet slowly and carefully so he can catch it :teehee:

actually my knitting stuff is the only thing in the house not organzied by some manenr.. I think its cause I can't find a way to do it that helps.. I'd really like to be able to see it and not have to dig through things... I like the shelf idea with baskets of yarn on it.. :thinking:

Nikki
09-03-2006, 11:13 AM
OMG Ingrid!!!!!! What a stash!!!! I so love it.
Nikki

Angelia
09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
OMG Ingrid!!!!!! What a stash!!!! I so love it.
Nikki

Is that when you starting going through it, Nikki? :rofl:

Finding any good stuff...stuff we can share....:shifty:

HollyP
09-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I like the shelf idea with baskets of yarn on it.. :thinking:

I was just thinking I really need a shelf like that! It would be much more efficient and attractive than my current methods!

I am totally in :inlove: love :heart: :heart: with your stash Ingrid!!!! Will you adopt me :pray: ?

You have all inspired me to organize my stash as meager as it is!

edited due to typing with a cat helping!!

Andrea
09-03-2006, 12:02 PM
I'll have to take pictures later...but I had to comment on the animal pictures...
The doggy looks so much like a person, it's so cute! :heart:

And Cindy, your cat is just adorable :inlove:

rebecca
09-03-2006, 12:28 PM
:cheering: :cheering: I'm getting so excited seeing everyone's stash...organized stashes, to boot :cheering: :cheering: Doesn't it just make you feel good to have it organized?! Like Cindy said, when you look at it, you :drool:
OMGosh, Carmen, that's too funny! Martha Stewart of stashes! LOL, I could never do that because I would be far too tempted by other's yarns and I'm afraid I would go to jail because I would love yarns so much that I would accidently put some in my pocket :rofl: :roflhard:

I have to add a pet pic, too! I got this pic of Moshi right before I started the S.O. (Stash Organization). OH, forgot to mention...this is a test shot, at night, inside, with Mo moving! Love that camera!

Angelia
09-03-2006, 12:30 PM
That is a fantastic photo!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Pixywhispers
09-03-2006, 01:19 PM
As soon as my camera comes home I will take a picture of my dirty closet! LOL It is slightly cleaner since I read this thread. I have a bag of old needles and small balls of yarn to give to friends who want to learn. I have also taken out stuff I need to sell or trade.

I agree that dog is so human like. LOL and Ingrid <sigh> I just wanna roll in your stash. :flirt:

orcoastknitter
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Actually Jake is always chillin'. When I was taking pictures of my stash last night my Cookie cat was patiently waiting to be fed. I took her favorte spot (the table) to display my wears.

earthchick
09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
This thread is totally making me inspired to organize my stash (we'll see if that actually happens), not to mention making me want to go shopping at Ingy's house! :teehee:

want2knit
09-03-2006, 04:00 PM
HOLY CRAP INGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :shock:

That's exactly what I said when I looked at your pics, Ingrid!!

I have a meager amount since I am relatively new to knitting. So I just went to Big Lots this weekend and got a Sterilite small tub to store it in for the time being. I love the look of the 3 shelf organizer with the attached doors on it. Of course I'll have to make room in my closet that's a total mess and rearrange my scrapbooking stuff in order to make room for the yarn.

Love that doggie pic--he looks just like a little person sitting there!

rebecca
09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Coastie, Mo's favorite place is the table, too! I guess it's a cat thing!
want2knit, Big Lots is where I went to get my boxes, too!

I'm happy to hear this thread is inspiring others to organize and flash that stash, earthchick :cheering: :cheering:

This is fun :cheering:

nadja la claire
09-03-2006, 06:07 PM
:shock: :thud: GOOD LORD REBECCA AND INGRID!!! THAT'S A LOT OF YARN!!! I just showed my DH your stashes and he admitted I do not have too much yarn. Hmm... I guess I should thank you for posting this. :muah:

Nadja xxx

Pixywhispers
09-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Everybody’s yarn stash looks so pretty, I'm starting to chicken out of taking a before picture.

And by the way Becka, after thinking about this thread too much this morning and looking at all Ingy's yarn in her living room, I not only once but TWICE referred to the laundry as yarn today! As my laundry is also spread all over my living room. Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

My kids were cracking up. Dh finally said "We can call it yarn if you really want us too."

rebecca
09-03-2006, 08:59 PM
LOL, Pixy, I think you really need to yarn shopping, then perhaps you might stop calling everything yarn :roflhard: :rofl: Sounds like a good reason to go, right?!

nadja, maybe you should go shopping, too, since your hubby says you don't have too much yarn, that's a great reason!!!

Lonnie and I have already decided to continue our Christmas vacations (we've gone the last 2 years) where we give one another a small gift for unwrapping time and $ to buy what we want on vacation. Well, I'm currently trying to decided exactly what special yarns I will be getting. You just can't have enough or too much, right?!

Pixywhispers
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I've also been known to say knit instead of print. LOL

horve1
09-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Making DS's birthday cake yesterday, asked DD to check something in the "pattern"! (recipe)

After seeing Becka's and Ingrid's stashes, and some of the other impressive pics :mrgreen: - mine is nothing to bother posting pics of. But it does feel really good to have my little bit organized.

This is a fun thread - love to see more goodies to drool over!

Ingrid
09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I often type yearn instead of yarn. :teehee:

rebecca
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM
And I often yearn for yarn :teehee:

mamabeth
09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Uhm..I've got like 4 balls of yarn right now sitting on top of my mantlepiece for lack of a place for them; and my needles are inside a copper and brass decorative vase.

I don't have a big enough stash yet to organize really..but just wait til 'Taxmas! (our family nickname for when we get our refund, yeah yeah we've heard the routine about breaking even being best financially but we like the large check, ok?)

09-04-2006, 10:55 PM
:oops: I'm so embarrassed. I don't even have a stash, unless you call about 10 skeins all different colors that are leftovers.

I am not fit to be amongst these great knitters. :verysad: :teehee:

Quiara
09-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I have what I refer to as a "reasonable" stash. It is reasonable in that I'll never get around to knitting all of it, yet there is always room for more! I have a lot of acrylic from my beginner days, but I've got some lovely handspun/handyed wools and a growing stash of sock yarns. I say "beginner days" as though it was very long ago, instead of about 2 years.

But someday I hope to attain to the high and lofty levels of the Ingrid. :notworthy:

Andrea
09-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Ok, I took some pictures tonight :cheering:
The acrylic stuff I bought when I first learned how to knit is in my closet as well, but I didn't take individual pics of that stuff.

:heart: I love my yarn :heart:

rebecca
09-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Just ..... yummmmmm, Andrea!!!! It's funny, I see some of my yarns in about every photo...great minds, you know :wink:

Q, I've been knitting for 2 years as of Aug, too :cheering:

Mo0nAngel
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
oh wowwwww...*drools* I love your yarn collection!!!!!!!! :D:D
I'm definitely going to do that with all of my stuff...i just need to buy the containers and presto!...so why do you put them in te ziplopck bags?? so they wont get all tangled up together??

Andrea
09-05-2006, 05:22 PM
The stuff in ziplock bags are either still on the needles and on stitch holders...I really need to frog some of it :oops: I felt bad when I saw some of the poor yarn in there looking at me like "hello???"

Yarn speaks to me :zombie:

hellokitty165
09-05-2006, 05:52 PM
me too got so much yarn and till today i am still buying yarn ... i cannot keep up !!! :thud: