PDA

View Full Version : The yarn or the pattern. Which comes first?

SabrinaJL
09-04-2006, 09:15 PM
After looking at the "Organize your stash" thread and seeing the huge piles of yarn some people have, I was curious...do you buy yarn just because you like the yarn and figure out what to do with it later? Or do you know what you want to make before you buy the yarn?

So far I've only bought yarn when I have a specific project in mind. I'll decide what I want to make and go get the yarn to make it.

Well, that's not entirely true. I bought 8 balls of yarn from Knitpicks (4 different kinds) to see what they were like. But even then I figured I'd make socks and a couple pairs of Fetching with them.

jberry16
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I dont buy yarn unless I have a specific project in mind.

Chel
09-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I buy yarn only when I have a specific project in mind... Or when its on sale... Or when I may not have the opportunity to get back to that particular shop any time in the forseeable future... Or if the color or texture makes me happy... Or if I had a really bad day and need something to cheer me up... Or if I had a good day and wanted to get something to celebrate.

But thats about it. I do have will power don't ya know.

:roflhard:

Ingrid
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Yes.

Eloewien
09-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I seem to keep buying yarn and I plan on using it for a particular project... but then sometimes it doesn't work out, or I end up on another project. So I've ended up with a little bit of a stash ;)

aylaanne
09-04-2006, 10:27 PM
What Ingrid said.

yarnfreak
09-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I have a bad habit of buying yarn with a project in mind, then forgetting what I bought it for! :rofl: It's all good, though. It'll get used for something.

Amber
09-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes.
:roflhard:

So far, I've been a find project, then buy yarn person. I don't have much of a stash. But, I do buy pretty much all of my yarn online (the closest LYS is a fair drive). If I was regularly going to yarn shops though -- who knows what might happen! :wink:

Quiara
09-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I have a habit of going to shops and buying anything I spend an inordinate amount of time petting. It's only right, you know; after you handle it for a while, you kinda ought to buy it. My personal weakness is baby alpaca. *pet pet*

kschmitz
09-05-2006, 12:22 AM
It's all about the pattern for me.

Only twice have I bought yarn without a specific pattern in mind, and it was either an Ebay purchase (which I needed part of the purchase for a specific project) or an online clearance purchase (I needed some for a project and decided to clean them out of the few extra balls they had left). Both were discontinued yarn, so I knew I couldn't get it easily.

Otherwise, my "stash" is comprised of future projects (2-3 projects) and a few balls that didn't work out as planned, which I should probably put up for trade. It all fits in one large plastic tote. I'm fairly anti-stash (in theory :teehee: ).

How do you know how much to buy if you don't have a pattern? :?? I would be so irritated if I found the perfect pattern for a yarn I had stashed, then ran out of it part of the way through.

Quiara
09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
How do you know how much to buy if you don't have a pattern? :??

We just go about it differently: I look for patterns that fit my stash. If nothing fits, perfect time to go shopping! ^_^

Plus, there's always enough to make a hat! (Did I mention my SnB group calls me the Hat Queen?)

carollovesyarn
09-05-2006, 03:24 AM
What Ingrid said.
I agree.

AidanM
09-05-2006, 03:32 AM
What Ingrid said.
I agree.
Ditto.

Celine
09-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Me too! :cheering: I buy yarn just because I like it and then hope to find a project to use it for. Then sometimes I find a project first and then I buy the yarn to knit it. :happydance: Right now I'm not sure which is bigger...my yarn stash or my pattern stash. :??

Boogs
09-05-2006, 04:34 AM
I buy yarn. If they're 50g a piece then I'll buy 10 or so, if they're more then I'll buy less, usually about half a dozen. Depends on the weight really.

Patterns happen later, for the most part.

beckyrhae
09-05-2006, 04:57 AM
I buy yarn more often without a particular project in mind. But then again I hang out at our local LYS at least 3 times a week. Tuesday night UFO's, Thursday night sock class, Friday morning classes, and Saturday afternoon UFO's. We also just formed a guild! (adding a fifth night once a month.) :roflhard: And I got to be President! Which is really cool. We have our first offical meeting Sept. 11th.

Debbie
09-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Me too ! The answer is Yes.
Um ... and .... also ... books and needles and anything else that looks like it could possible be used for knitting or storing yarn or ....

rebecca
09-05-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm with Ingy :wink:

Honestly, 90% of the time I buy yarn with a project in mind. Needless to say, I have a rather long project list :wink:

dustinac
09-05-2006, 09:10 AM
:teehee: I'm with Ingrid too...

Alot of the times I do have a project in mind but then something else comes up to knit and that project gets pushed further down the list... or if LYS has a sale or if its pretty...

rebecca
09-05-2006, 10:26 AM
As we've talked about yarn in the past few days I've gotten this overwhelming desire to acquire yarn!!!!! I NEED, I NEED, I NEED to go to the yarn store. I ordered 5 skeins of Andean Silk from KP yesterday for a scarf and hat, but I really NEED to go to the yarn store and get some yarn so that I can feel it and have it in hand now!!!!!!! Know what I mean?!

SandraEllen
09-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I always have a pattern in mind when i buy yarn. Of course, i don't go to a LYS and browse. It's too expensive to risk buying way too much. or worse yet, what if i don't buy enough?

If I find something i want to make, i'm going to make it. --BUT-- I'm going to make it with the cheapest good yarn out there.

Of course, i'm still building up a stash because I can plan faster than i can knit...

knitaddict
09-05-2006, 11:02 AM
99% of the time I only buy for a project, but I have this nasty habit of buying just one (or two) extra skeins "just in case." Occassionally I'll see something on sale and just have to buy it, but normally it's for a project. :)