PDA

View Full Version : Where ya knittin' from?

Quiara
09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
How's that for a grammatically questionable subject?

I know not everybody wants to "out" themselves and their location online, but I've never had that particular qualm. I'm from Memphis and there are about 4 yarn shops in the city; I frequent 3 of them and totally miss the one that closed a few months back. It was so convenient! The rest are in Germantown or Midtown, but I cope.

So anyway, I'm knitting from Memphis, TN. I've been knitting for about 2 years and love it. I try my hand at anything that strikes my fancy. I have never successfully made a scarf. I guess I skipped scarfing. My first FO was a set of wristwarmers from Knitty.

So that me and my mini-bio. What about you? Where ya from?

Jan in CA
09-04-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm in Laguna Hills, CA. I know of only 2 knitting stores nearby which is odd since we have a bazillion Starbucks. :?? :roflhard: I started knitting in October 2005.

NinaT
09-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Jan, I used to live in Laguna Hills too! I lived off of Beckenham off of Paseo de Valencia. I now live in Eastern Washington State (for the last nine years). We have a few fun LYSs.

orcoastknitter
09-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I am in Florence, Oregon. Where is that? It on the coast about 60 miles east of Eugene. We only have one small LYS here. All the other yarn stores are at least 50 miles from me. I have only been knitting since December. I have only lived here for 5 years. I am originally from the San Jose (CA) area.

Quiara
09-05-2006, 01:47 AM
I've only lived in Memphis about 3 1/2 years. I was born/raised in California and Nevada. I love the west. Wish I'd been a knitter when I lived in CA; I'm sure there were tons of shops around San Francisco and L.A.

I'm gonna go pine quietly for real, live mountains and desert sunsets. *sigh*

brendajos
09-05-2006, 02:28 AM
ya know they have mountains in TN right?

as for me.....i am usually knitting from the front row of the theatre.

right in the middle of everywhere.

AidanM
09-05-2006, 03:33 AM
I am in Florence, Oregon. Where is that? It on the coast about 60 miles east of Eugene. We only have one small LYS here. All the other yarn stores are at least 50 miles from me. I have only been knitting since December. I have only lived here for 5 years. I am originally from the San Jose (CA) area.
I'm in Newport, Oregon. Howdy neighbour!
Moving to Portland soon - I'm excited, there are at least 4 yarn shops that are within walking distance of campus. HEHE!!

Celine
09-05-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm knitting from Eastern New York State. I wish I had MORE LYS around.

knotmaker
09-05-2006, 06:58 AM
I am from Calabash, NC (right on the boarder of SC) so I try and knit a lot at the beach ... and I only have 1 LYS close to me :verysad: I have been knitting from just about a year now and I love it ...

njknitter
09-05-2006, 08:07 AM
I am from northern New Jersey (hence my extremely creative screen name - njknitter).

There are a few local yarn stores around, but my favorites are in Maine where we visit each summer. I also found a really great one on eastern Long Island (NY) in Greenport on the North Fork. We have a (Tiny, tiny, tiny) summer home out there on the South Fork.

It is fun to hear from people on this site who are from all over!
Lynn

Mo0nAngel
09-05-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm knitting from Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic...in this little island its difficult to get knitting stuff...I tried and went to all these merceries...and nothing... :( I buy my yarn and needles in the only place I've found decent knitting needles (the only size they have is 4.5mm :P) so I'm really looking forward to going to canada for christmas so I can get my hands on all sorts of knitting goodies :D :D ...plus I don't know anyone else who knits :(

stitchwitch
09-05-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and in Gatlinburg, Tennessee part of the time. We kind of bounce back and forth between the two houses when we get tired of the Florida heat.
I just started knitting a few weeks ago and the nearest yarn shop is pretty far away from me. I'm self taught, well that and this site and the help of everyone here. :teehee:

rebecca
09-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Hello all :muah: Knitting for 2 years here, in the middle of the southeastern US :muah:

KnittyKitty
09-05-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm from the beautiful island of Barbados... where you can get sunshine (when there isn't a hurricane brewing in the ocean somewhere :oo: ) blue skies, sandy beaches and friendly people BUT not a yarn store to be found!! There are craft stores that sell one kind of yarn that's not suited for our weather so I have to get all my stuff online. :wall:

Mo0nAngel, good to see another Caribbean knitter on the board! I can't find anyone here that does it either!

Lisa

dustinac
09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm usually knitting in my rocking chair looking out at the woods in OH... wishing we could be back in WV so I could knit in the mountains... :rofl: although at least here I have one LYS i can get to and its close.. in WV I have no idea where I'd go... even wally world is a trip LOL...

Shandeh
09-05-2006, 09:10 AM
I've always wanted to live in the mountains too. I am at my happiest when I can see the mountains all around me. But, I guess I'll have to settle for knitting in my craft room in my little house near Charlotte, North Carolina.

jdee
09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I am knitting from a small town, about 100 miles northeast of Dallas Texas. I love to sit on my front porch with my knitting, surrounded by my plants, and my cats, and the hummingbirds. Since summers are brutal in Tx, I can only do this during the spring and fall.

Unfortunately, the nearest LYS is about an hour and a half away in Plano. :pout: But there's always the internet. :cheering:

DianaM
09-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Learned to crochet in Tampico (Gulf Coast side of Mexico), to knit in Colorado and I'm now doing both in Rapid City, SD.

I found out after moving here, that the only LYS in town closed recently. The closest one to me now is in Spearfish, which is about 50 miles away :verysad:

If I'd taken my car to OH when BF and I went there a couple weeks ago, I'd had a lot of fun visiting all the LYS close to Youngstown :teehee:

Quiara
09-05-2006, 10:39 AM
ya know they have mountains in TN right?

They don't count.

I mean Nevada mountains. They're the ones I miss. ^_^

mrsfife
09-05-2006, 10:50 AM
From India here. Not supposed to be knitting at all for this weather :D

Mo0nAngel
09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Learned to crochet in Tampico (Gulf Coast side of Mexico), to knit in Colorado and I'm now doing both in Rapid City, SD.

I found out after moving here, that the only LYS in town closed recently. The closest one to me now is in Spearfish, which is about 50 miles away :verysad:

If I'd taken my car to OH when BF and I went there a couple weeks ago, I'd had a lot of fun visiting all the LYS close to Youngstown :teehee:

awwww rapid city :D my heart is in rapid city...i've been thinking about moving there after I finish medschool..:D

Mo0nAngel, good to see another Caribbean knitter on the board! I can't find anyone here that does it either!

Lisa
yay!! Glad to know i'm not alone!! :D...and i know exactly what you mean the stores i've been to here are like that as well...

CateKnits
09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I spend the nine colder months of the year in Rochester, NY where I go to school. I spend summers in my dad's apartment in Annapolis, MD. Since he moved out of our house, I have a hard time deciding which of these places is "home." Rochester is MUCH more suited to knitting. I know of four LYS in the area and love three of them (the other...well, no one should ever go there because they are that mean). Besides, I find it easier to knit sweaters and wool things when it's not 97 degrees!

Jan in CA
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Jan, I used to live in Laguna Hills too! I lived off of Beckenham off of Paseo de Valencia. I now live in Eastern Washington State (for the last nine years). We have a few fun LYSs.

:shock: Wow..small world! Did you live in those houses across from the doctor's offices or the condos further up? We live across from Beckenham Park. :lol:

knitncook
09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm knitting in Pensacola, Florida. Our motto here is K1,P2,Hunkerdown. :roflhard: I *wish* I was knitting from Oregon, somewhere in the Chehalem Valley or along the coast. I miss Oregon SO badly (especially when the hurricanes start a-blowin'!) I miss mountains, fir trees, seasons, cool temperatures, complaining about the heat getting up to 85, recycling, bicycle riders on the roads that aren't targets.

We sounds like we are introducing ourselves for the Miss Knit Universe. "Hi! I"m Michelle and I'm represent FLORIDA where the sun is always shining and cool tropical breezes make my hair really big!"

orcoastknitter
09-05-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm knitting in Pensacola, Florida. Our motto here is K1,P2,Hunkerdown. :roflhard: I *wish* I was knitting from Oregon, somewhere in the Chehalem Valley or along the coast. I miss Oregon SO badly (especially when the hurricanes start a-blowin'!) I miss mountains, fir trees, seasons, cool temperatures, complaining about the heat getting up to 85, recycling, bicycle riders on the roads that aren't targets.

Here are few pictures that I thought you like to see.....

The first one is a not so pretty picture of the lake that I live on.

The second one is a picture of the coast line with Heceta Head Lighthouse (very tiny) in the background.

Eloewien
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm enjoying a little town in the mountains of SW Virginia- down near the Roanoke area. I'm heading to Denver, CO next week, however, for a two week trip for work, and I can't wait to have fun at some different LYS!! I'm so excited!

Mo0nAngel
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM

We sounds like we are introducing ourselves for the Miss Knit Universe. "Hi! I"m Michelle and I'm represent FLORIDA where the sun is always shining and cool tropical breezes make my hair really big!"
hahahaha lol!!!
"Hi! I'm Rita and I represent Dominican Republic, where its summer all year long and you can barely wear a sweater during winter!" Lol!!

DianaM
09-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm enjoying a little town in the mountains of SW Virginia- down near the Roanoke area. I'm heading to Denver, CO next week, however, for a two week trip for work, and I can't wait to have fun at some different LYS!! I'm so excited!

Be sure to visit "Showers of Flowers" (http://www.showersofflowers.com/)

If the owner's in the store, don't mention KnitPicks, or you'll be stuck there for a long while hearing an anti-internet-yarn-store speech :pout:

Mo0nAngel: Rapid City's been good for me so far. The rhythm's way slower than Denver and the people are nice. I'd had fun driving around the Black Hills with the bf and we've got some hikes planned :thumbsup:

CarmenIbanez
09-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I am knitting from my classroom (first day of school!) in the HOT HOT HOT California desert near Palm Springs.

Shandeh
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM

I LOVE your "not so pretty picture"! If that's not pretty, I think I'll die seeing the pretty ones!

knitncook
09-05-2006, 04:23 PM

I LOVE your "not so pretty picture"! If that's not pretty, I think I'll die seeing the pretty ones!

Yep, I LOVE your "not so pretty picture" too! And I've walked your beach! I was lucky one spring to house sit a friends' parents' house on the coast and *had* to walk their dog on the beach several times a day. It was pure misery. :roflhard: 3 weeks stuck at a beach house with no neighbors and just a dog for company. Heaven!

letah75
09-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I am originally from Oakland, CA, but now I live in Chico, CA....since I couldn't afford anything other than a cardboard box on the side of the road in the Bay Area.

And I can afford to finance my yarnaholic nature up here in Northern Cali.

jodstr2
09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, about 50 miles south of San Francisco. there are 10 or so LYSs within a 10-30 min drive.

aineepooh1
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Arkansas here! It is finally cooling off here... its in th 80's in the day and 60's at night... I am LOVIN" it because 2 weeks ago we were in the triple digits (before the heat index).. like 103, 106, 105... (BLeech!!)
I hate being hot!!! :-x

hellokitty165
09-05-2006, 05:45 PM
wisconsin (cold most of the time... moody weather during end october-february here so definitely need alot of sweaters...socks....mitten etc .... i am originally from Singapore (sunny all year round) came to US since 2000... what a big change for me...but i survived... cos my hubby's love and knitting keep me so busy and HAPPY !!! :X: xxx nice to have u here :waving:

Quiara
09-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Arkansas here! It is finally cooling off here... its in th 80's in the day and 60's at night... I am LOVIN" it because 2 weeks ago we were in the triple digits (before the heat index).. like 103, 106, 105... (BLeech!!)
I hate being hot!!! :-x

What part of AR? I've got family in Jonesboro/Bono. Northeastern corner.

Jackie M.
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm enjoying a little town in the mountains of SW Virginia- down near the Roanoke area. !

I have family in the Cedar Bluf/Bluefield area! I love it there, but I live in Ft.Worth area of Texas. I'm originally from Louisiana. I still call that my home.

psammeadred
09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
I live, knit, crochet, and sweat in Oklahoma, where we have three seasons: summer, summer, hot summer, and Christmas. (We also have two airports named after men who died in a plane crash, but that's another subject.)

My dream is to live somewhere, someday, where I don't need air conditioning!

JamOKnit
09-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I am knitting from outside Richmond, Virginia, where we have several LYS including my sister-in-law who spins her own! But since I am pretty much still a beginner, I've relied heavily on the Michaels right up the street and my 40% off coupons....don't want to mess up any projects with expensive stuff!

I've also learned a bit of crocheting and have made several sets of coasters to sell at a charity yard sale this coming weekend. I like crochet because it's more easily portable than my knitting....only 1 hook to carry!

fluffypechey
09-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh errr am I the only English Rose on here?? :cheering:

I live in Norfolk England UK.

There must be other English/British on here??

I am enjoying this site so much.

Sharon x :muah:

nafei
09-12-2006, 08:57 PM
I live in Livingston, New Jersey. There's a LYS in the next town over, but I don't really like the owner of the shop. I've only been there twice and I got pretty yarn, but the owner doesn't seem too friendly. I don't know if it's because I'm younger (I'm 19) than her or what. I know there are several other LYS within 30 minutes from me, but I have yet to go to them. I started knitting in my freshman or sophomore year of high school. I'm not really sure what sparked my interest in knitting because none of my family members knit. I self taught myself by looking at a book and it really sunk in when I bought a kit. I would still consider myself as a beginner because I haven't really ventured out that much. I've only done scarves that have been in the garter stitch. Recently I started to double knit (one my many WIP) which is going very slowly. I have a ton of unfinished scarves all over because I always move onto a new project before finishing an old one. I have the tendency to do that because I either get bored with one, my fingers cramp up from using a smaller needle size, and the main reason is new yarn. Whenever I buy yarn I always want to get started with it right away. It's a viscious cycle, but eventually they all will get done.

My next project will be a lace scarf because I bought GGH mohair yarn on sale from the shop with the crabby owner. It's peach colored and I think my mom would like it as long as the mohair doesn't irritate her skin.

earthchick
09-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I missed this the first time around. I'm knitting in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where there are at least 3 good LYS's in town (one less than a mile from my house, but the one I consider MY LYS is a 10 minute drive).

I'm originally from Georgia, and when I visited my fam there this summer, I couldn't find an LYS in their town anywhere (town of 250,000 and no LYS!). Made me think maybe I should move home and open one. :teehee:

Witchy Mama
09-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I am near Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. I have been knitting for about 6 weeks. I havn't gone hunting for yarn stores just yet, I have been buying my yarn from K-Mart hehehe

Mo0nAngel
09-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I live, knit, crochet, and sweat in Oklahoma, where we have three seasons: summer, summer, hot summer, and Christmas. (We also have two airports named after men who died in a plane crash, but that's another subject.)

My dream is to live somewhere, someday, where I don't need air conditioning!

hahaha sounds a lot like over here!! :P It's summer all year round :rofl:

DreamWeaver
09-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I knit from Honolulu, HI. It's nice, but there are almost NO Knitting shops. Crochet lei's are the big thing here

happyknitter613
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I am knitting from San Mateo, California (just south of San Francisco). There are lots of wonderful yarn shops in this area - my favorite being Nine Rubies in downtown San Mateo! Wonderful staff and lots and lots of yummy yarns!
:cheering:

Christianne

Stiney
09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm from good ole Bergen County, NJ, in a tiny little town that no one more than 10 minutes away has heard of.

I usually go to the knitting store in Nyack, NY, which is only 15 minutes from me, right on the Hudson, and beautiful and fun and my favorite town in the area.