PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

hydeemarie
09-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Ok. Here is a question: when you are knitting flat, do you prefer to use straight needles or circulars? :shrug: See, I really DONT like straights because they stick out from the sides and it gets annoying! :!!!: I am thinking about totally switching to circulars! :eyebrow: Anyone with me? :happydance: :muah:

Sara
09-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Absolutely. I try to only use circulars. Knitting with straights hurts my wrists.

brendajos
09-06-2006, 11:38 PM
i have never used straights, ever......haven't ever bought a pair. had a friend offer me some that were her grandmother's and as sweet as the offer was i turned her down because i knew i would never use them and i didn't want them to go to someone who wouldn't appreciate them.

make the switch! ;)

knitqueen
09-06-2006, 11:41 PM
I think there are many of us here that only use circular needles. I don't remember the last time I used straight needles.

knitaddict
09-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Unless I absolutely *have* to, I don't use straights anymore.

Mrs.H
09-07-2006, 01:15 AM
I quit using straights soon after I first started knitting a few months ago. I'll not go back to them if there's anyway to avoid them, I also found the to be a pain, in my wrist, and the in the neck. I now own 3 sets of needle masters, 1 new, 2 vintage(1 set plastic & 1 of the "Sears's" metal). To be honest I actually prefer the 2 vintage sets over the new ones, the cables are far more flexible.
Linda

orcoastknitter
09-07-2006, 01:54 AM
I guess I am an odd duck! :teehee:

I use both actually. I learned how to knit on circulars. I have equal amount of both straights and circular in my stash. I love using Bryspun straights, they have a neat tapered end that makes it easier for me to knit.

Lieke
09-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I guess I'm almost the only one here who doesn't like circs and only uses straights or DPN's. I tried knitting with straights once, but that wasn't a succes, so the next sweater I'm making will get the collar with DPN's.

knittingdoula
09-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Circs all the way. Addi circs, to be exact, because I love the speed it gives me. Same with Knitpicks circs.

Alison

hydeemarie
09-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Circs all the way. Addi circs, to be exact, because I love the speed it gives me. Same with Knitpicks circs.

Alison

I want to buy some addi's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad!! :!!!: :grrr: :waah: But, I am only 17 and I don't have a job!! :wall: :wall: So, no money to buy these! I think that if I get circulars from now on, I am going to request only Addi Turbo circs! :happydance: :happydance:

Celine
09-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Since I bought my Denise circs. I use them ALL the time now. :muah:

SandraEllen
09-07-2006, 07:07 AM
I :heart: :heart: :heart: my KnitPicks Options needles. Interchangeable circs all the way.

I never use my straights anymore. ever.

knotmaker
09-07-2006, 07:13 AM
I love circs :heart: and I have a lot of them ... but I also have a lot of straight needles as well ... so I guess I would say this - If I have the size I need in a circ I will use it if I don't then I will use straights.

dustinac
09-07-2006, 08:36 AM
The only time I use straights is when I have no other circs to knit with and just have to start that next project :teehee: I think Circs are easier and also I just slide my work to the center of the cable and don't have to worry about it coming off...

rebecca
09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Circ girl here! I have a beautiful antique Fiestaware vase that holds all of my lonely straights! I think I will probably give them to my sil and niece when they begin to knit!

brownishcoat
09-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I use my circs exclusively, and always have. I have a good collection of straights, I let my daughter use them when she wants to practice her knitting. Maybe that's why she keeps putting it down? :?? Guess she'll have to get her some circs! :teehee:

cheesiesmom
09-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I have a ton of straights, but I prefer using my Denise set to knitting with 14" straights. But, I have a few sets of birch and balene shorter needles (10", I think), which I like using if the project is small enough.

Maybe it's the weight of the needles, but when I have to use the longer straights, I end up dropping the empty one once I finish a row. K 1 row, *drop needle, dig it out of the cushions or from under the chair*; K 2nd row, repeat * *. (My first pattern!!)

:rofl:

knitncook
09-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a few pair of straights, but only some bamboo ones and they aren't very long (like the ones my mother used!) But I :heart: my KP interchangeables circs. If I'm not working on dpn's I'm using circs.

Pixywhispers
09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
What are straights? heh, just kidding. I used straights till I got my first circ, I've never gone back.

PinkRoses
09-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Someone stole my basket of yarn avatar. :noway:

LOL

hydeemarie
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Someone stole my basket of yarn avatar. :noway:

LOL

Actually, I've never seen your avatar or your name. :oops: I got mine from a blog i read! :teehee: :teehee: sorry, do you want me to change it?

brownishcoat
09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I can't stop looking at them! One has a white background and the other is transparent. It's hypnotic! :shock:

PinkRoses
09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Of course not! :hug: I thought it was funny. You have great taste in little pictures.

:woot:

beckyrhae
09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
I use circs and DPNs mostly. I do have a full set of bamboo straights I ordered off of Ebay when I first started knitting but then I discovered Addi's.

I recently got some knitpick options (havent used them yet... but I cant wait until its time to cast on a new project.) My knitting instructor is always telling people that straights are good to learn on, but if you have shoulder problems they will usually become too heavy with larger projects.

hellokitty165
09-07-2006, 08:29 PM
circular for sure... less strain on my hands... and it sits on your lap when yr project is growing bigger.. :happydance: