PDA

View Full Version : missed the booga

noejusti
09-07-2006, 12:18 AM
I work alot, and then I knit or crochet alot. So I don't get to keep up on the trendy stuff around. But there are a lot of people making booga bags out there on this site. I feel silly asking this, But... what is a booga bag? Why is it called a booga bag? What do people use their booga bag for? (and I apologize if I sound like an idiot with this posting :shrug: )

humblestumble
09-07-2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html

It's like a purse, and a lot of people love the style ;)

DreamWeaver
09-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Booga's are good because they're nice and big and sturdy so you can fit alot of stuff into it ^_^

Phretys
09-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Hmm, "big" is not an adjective I'd use for a Booga Bag. :rofl: Those things felt a lot smaller than you'd expect.

Debi

noejusti
09-07-2006, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the link. And now I understand the name, too. :D

SandraEllen
09-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Hmm, "big" is not an adjective I'd use for a Booga Bag. :rofl: Those things felt a lot smaller than you'd expect.
Yeah. I made mine a lot bigger and i use it as a tote bag.

I think a lot of people make them because they're a pretty easy knit and pretty quick too. Oh yeah. and because felting is FUN!!!!

jamadian75
09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
I will eventually make another one (my 3rd) to use as a knitting or crochet project bag. I think it's the perfect size for some yarn and shorter needles.

If you make one, be sure to post it with pride!! :)

cookworm
09-07-2006, 11:00 AM
noejusti--I'm really glad you posted this...I didn't know anything about booga bags either but didn't want to ask either! By the way, why is it called a "booga" bag? :oops:

aylaanne
09-07-2006, 12:24 PM
noejusti--I'm really glad you posted this...I didn't know anything about booga bags either but didn't want to ask either! By the way, why is it called a "booga" bag? :oops:
I think the author of the pattern used to be called "booga j" and so that's where it got its name.

cookworm
09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
[quote=cookworm]I think the author of the pattern used to be called "booga j" and so that's where it got its name.

Okay, I see that now. It could've bit me there had I read down a little further, huh? :oops: Thanks, Aylaane!

cookworm
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
When it says "pick up and knit twisted stitches", I know how to pick up and knit stitches, but how do you knit twisted stitches?

brownishcoat
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I think it means knit through the back loop so that the stitches are tighter across the pick-up edge.

IrishKnitter
09-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I was wondering that myself when I was in the picking up stitches part of the pattern...I posted the same question. A couple different people told me that they ignored that, and just picked up the stitches as usual, and it turned out fine. So far mine looks fine, but I haven't felted yet, so it's not 100% done.

Good luck!! :D

Jeremy
09-07-2006, 11:07 PM
I've knit two and can confirm that it doesn't make a difference to twist the stitches. I have knit it both ways. The way to twist the stitches is to first pick them up and then twist them on the next round.

hydeemarie
09-07-2006, 11:18 PM
has anyone ever made a booga and not felted it? can you do that? like make it with acrylic yarn and not felt it to use it as a tote or something?

rorygilmore
09-08-2006, 12:08 AM
i really want to knit one of these bags. I have some Knit Picks Wools of The Andes in Coal and red I want to use to make a striped booga bag. Has anyone used this yarn to make one?

cookworm
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
has anyone ever made a booga and not felted it? can you do that? like make it with acrylic yarn and not felt it to use it as a tote or something?

You know, I wondered the same thing. I made a hat for myself out of this really cute acrylic yarn and had some leftovers, and wondered if I could make a booga out of it. I may try it with the acrylic yarn; the pattern looks pretty easy and straightforward enough, but if I use the acrylic yarn, I may double strand it so I can still knit it on larger size needles, but also so that it will have some more "bulk" than if I just single stranded it. Without felting the bag, there's going to be some bulk to be lost with using acrylic. Just my 2 cents.

rorygilmore
09-08-2006, 09:08 PM
does anyone know the gauge? I didn't see it on the pattern.

cookworm
09-09-2006, 10:27 PM
does anyone know the gauge? I didn't see it on the pattern.

I didn't see it either, but if it helps, the gauge for the Noro Kureyon is normally 18 stitches = 4" on size 8 needles; since this is done on 10.5 needles and it's going to be felted, would the gauge then be not as critical as if one was making a non-felted garment that needed to be felted? :shrug: I kind of wondered about gauge myself.

rorygilmore
09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm not going to worry about the gauge, its getting felted anyway. I just ordered my needles for it. This will be my first felted project. :happydance: