PDA

View Full Version : Sock Wars!!! Edit: The pattern is up!

boyforpele13
09-08-2006, 02:11 AM
I don't see any recent posts about this, forgive me if I just missed them.

The deadline for sign up for the Sock Wars is tomorrow!!!! Go here (http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com/2006/07/are-you-ready-for-sock-wars-2006.html) for the announcement and details and the link for the whole site with updates and such is here (http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com)

Hope to see you on the "battlefield"! ;)

P.S. Please don't "kill" me.

aylaanne
09-08-2006, 02:22 AM
You know I'm gonna kill you dead in the first round (if I don't die first). Bwahahaha!!!!!

I made a poster but it wasn't in time. :(

boyforpele13
09-08-2006, 02:32 AM
i have big man feet. good luck. :roflhard:

hey, what's the super ingrid fan club? i've been absent, someone share.

AND are you near Franklin County or is that separate from your Franklin? Fiber Twist!!!! (http://www.fibertwist.com/index.html) I'm jealous!

humblestumble
09-08-2006, 02:50 AM
I'll kill you to the death! haha... And you're lucky if you get me, I've knit for big feet before - and fast :-p

burnsie9999
09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I have signed up and can't wait to start. I will be going to Webs for my supplies tomorrow.

When are we getting the email with who we are knitting for and our pattern???

Julie
09-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow, I have to say I'm really surprised at the yarn specs. I mean, yeah, all the better for super-speedy sock knitting...I had been fearing a truly hard core pattern that required teeny yarn and US0 needles. ;)

Pixywhispers
09-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Guys, I can not do it :( I need to make my two little girls dolls for their birthdays (October and November). So between now and christmas . . .

Anyway, I wanna watch you guys have fun doing it! So are yall going to be able to update us on whats going on?

boyforpele13
09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Candace, so sorry you can't join us, but fear not, the first rule of Sock Wars is to talk about sock wars, so you should be able to "battle" vicariously through us. ;) (and watch me get killed)

i wanted metal DPNs since i need all the help i can get and accidentally ordered a set of 4 foot-long DPN's in size 5 instead of a set of 5 in size 4.... what does one do with 12" DPNs? :shrug:

Pixywhispers
09-08-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17323

Here is the Super Ingrid Fan Club! Ingrid lovers UNITE! :)

Pixywhispers
09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Candace, so sorry you can't join us, but fear not, the first rule of Sock Wars is to talk about sock wars, so you should be able to "battle" vicariously through us. ;) (and watch me get killed)

i wanted metal DPNs since i need all the help i can get and accidentally ordered a set of 4 foot-long DPN's in size 5 instead of a set of 5 in size 4.... what does one do with 12" DPNs? :shrug:

Sweet! I love that rule! :happydance: Ok, blab away.

Nuh uh! I didnt know they made them that big. I cant imagine. It sounds like a joke.

Are you gona order Knit Picks new ones? They sound wonderful!

boyforpele13
09-08-2006, 06:10 PM
the KP ones ARE wonderful, but only go up to size 3 (I have 0 and 1 so far) and the first sock is on 4s or 5. :( I so checked there first though, they're awesome. I was thinking maybe some Addi ones, but they're like $10 a set plus S&H IF you can find them. meh. yeah, i'm really clueless on the 12" DP's. I know I've heard about them and maybe even saw them at one of my LYS, but clueless...

rebecca
09-08-2006, 06:45 PM
All I can say is...ya'll better just be happy I'm not entering or I would massacre the lot of you!!! I'm kind, so I didn't enter :roflhard: :rofl:

aylaanne
09-08-2006, 08:52 PM
whatever becka. You didn't enter because you're a big chicken. ;)

Wow, dk weight yarn, that's a whole new spin on things. I'd already decided to buy new yarn for this and swatch with some I already had, now I have to wonder if I really have enough to swatch with.....size 5s? Crap with my tension I'll probably need size 7s. I have 7" long size 5s though.....

:happydance: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:

aylaanne
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
i have big man feet. good luck. :roflhard:

hey, what's the super ingrid fan club? i've been absent, someone share.

AND are you near Franklin County or is that separate from your Franklin? Fiber Twist!!!! (http://www.fibertwist.com/index.html) I'm jealous!
I am living in the heart of Franklin County and will be going to Fiber Twist. And you should be jealous.

Burnsie where are you out in Western Ma? I've been looking for local KHers to get together with on a more regular basis.

rebecca
09-08-2006, 10:50 PM
whatever becka. You didn't enter because you're a big chicken. ;)

LOL, like that bothers me :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

aylaanne
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey sockwarriors! I've made a frappr map for sockwars, sign yourself up!
http://www.frappr.com/sockwarriors

Emeraldcutie
09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
I added myself to the map, bought my yarn and ready to play :)

Laura C

Tammy6071
09-19-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm going out today to pick up my yarn and just wondered what everyone else is using??

boyforpele13
09-19-2006, 01:20 PM
i am out of town and since she said to try to bust some stash (and boy do I need it) I grabbed 3 balls of a 100% alpaca DK with me.... I also brought 2 balls of KPs Parade just in case.... I think I had an issue with gauge, but I can't remember now, and I'm still puzzled by the 180 yd requirement.

aylaanne
09-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Arrgh, I think we have some spam, me mateys! http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/aylaanne/Smilies/pirate.gif

boyforpele13
09-20-2006, 01:03 AM
wha happen?

aylaanne
09-20-2006, 01:13 AM
wha happen?
It got deleted by our modsquad. Nevermind. :)

boyforpele13
09-20-2006, 01:22 AM
well that would explain why when i clicked the last reply notification it said it didn't exist... i was mad too. ;) did i miss anything good?

Julie
09-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Does anyone else keep checking their inbox, or is it just me?

(It's 9/22 in the UK already!!)

aylaanne
09-22-2006, 10:01 AM
well that would explain why when i clicked the last reply notification it said it didn't exist... i was mad too. ;) did i miss anything good?

Nah, just stupid "come see my website" drivel.

It's now 10am in the US (on the east coast) WHERE'S MY PATTERN?!

*weeps*

MAmaDawn
09-22-2006, 10:16 AM
:shrug: Don't know when it's coming. Don't think I will make it past the first round. This is the first pair have hav ever knitted. Am I crazy or what?!?!? :clink: :whoosh: But I know I will have fun with it. I am going to go get the envelope to send it out today! :woot:

Julie
09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
This is driving me insane. :nails:

burnsie9999
09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Its 2:00 in Mass and no email yet. UGH!!!! :wall:

rebecca
09-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I don't know why I thought ya'll started on the 20th! Good Luck Warriors :cheering: :cheering:

samm
09-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Arghhh. I've been checking my mailbox all day and no pattern yet. It's nearly three p.m. here in Southern Ontario. Am anxious!!! I'm just hoping I can live up to the sock warrior title. :muah: to all fellow warriors! samm who might use some stash sock yarn, but maybe not... depends.

Angelia
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
pattern is up (http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com/)--just have to wait on victim id.

aylaanne
09-22-2006, 04:39 PM
OH MY Goddess, thank you boyforpele for calling me so I could join in the excitement. I had to sleep today sometime.

These socks are going to be über quick. Because of that, I'm going back to bed while I can (I'm working tonight). But not before sending the pattern to the printer, first!

Julie
09-24-2006, 01:15 AM
How's everybody doing?

I'm a little :!!!: because my socks are done but I never received a dossier and my target isn't responding to my e-mails asking for her address. I e-mailed her as soon as the list went up, then again about 12 hours later. I suppose that's one way to avoid getting killed....

In the meantime, my assassin has dropped off my socks at the 24-hour post office. So I'm dead, very very soon. :verysad:

Angelia
09-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Oh no Julie! I haven't received an email dossier either. I hope your target is not keeping her addy from you on purpose! :-x

I haven't heard from my assassin, but I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is in the US since so many of the participants are. My target is in the UK. If my assassin is in the US, I'm screwed. And I simply will not do expedited shipping to the UK--it's expensive enough to overnight within the US.

I could potentially end up killing my opponent (she has to ship to the US), but I'll likely be out in the first round because of :!!!: geography. I feel sorry for those shipping from Australia and far off places like that.

Oh well, at least I'll get a pair of socks! :rofl:

Julie
09-24-2006, 10:17 AM
I got the address! But it's military...so I have to fill out a customs form...does that mean I have to go when the PO is open? :??

Tammy6071
09-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Im in the same boat as you Angelia. I will finish my sock off today, but my target is in the Netherlands, and I refuse to pay $30 to mail a pair of socks, and I have a pretty good suspicion that my assassin is in the US, and she has my package ready for me. So even if I get my socks mailed out tomorrow, Im dead anyway. My only comfort :twisted: is knowing that my target (in the Netherlands) told me that she has to knit a sock for a man with size 11 foot!

boyforpele13
09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Julie, check the post office web site. if it is an APO military address, not everything requires customs and you can mail regularly for regular price. if your post office has one of those 24-hour machines for postage, that will not work for APO addresses, though, but if you know the postage amount, you can do it in stamps and leave it for your carrier.

i am ready for death here. i shouldn't allude to this so early on, but i am not even halfway done with my first sock and i think everyone else is done, packed up, and mailed or waiting for dossier... I never got the dossier either, just got my target and her address, though I would speculate I might not need it. :oops:

Julie
09-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks, Sean -- my target told me that I would need to do the customs form, so I did it all online but just wasn't sure if I could drop it in the box or what...but no worries, I decided not to stress about it because I'm dead anyways -- my assassin dropped off my socks at the 24-hour post office last night, only two states away from me.

You should forge ahead! You just might have an assassin in another country, which could buy you some time :D

boyforpele13
09-25-2006, 12:11 AM
as a matter of fact, I DO have an assassin in another country, which tickles me no end, not because of shipping times, but because I love the U.K. I happened to check the forum and saw someone had responded to my 'hello' message and it was my assassin from England telling me I would soon be dead. ;)

I'm so not making excuses, but I started these socks on US 5, but 8" Inox metal needles (thought they would be light like the Inox Express.... no) and things were NOT going well. I just changed to little bryspun flexis in 6's and if my assassin wasn't ready to kill me already, I might have had a chance. :teehee:. i knew for certain I would quickly be killed, just hoping I have more than a cast-on and ball of yarn to mail to my assassin. ;)

Angelia
09-25-2006, 07:03 AM
i knew for certain I would quickly be killed, just hoping I have more than a cast-on and ball of yarn to mail to my assassin. ;)

Nah, make her work to win! :rofl:

And Tammy, that's hilarious about the size 11 sock! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mine still aren't done.

VickiIL
09-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I am just laughing here. The pattern came out on a super busy Friday, Saturday I had a wedding and Sunday, I was at church all morning and then a party in the afternoon. I did have knitting time at night but alas in all the weekend craziness I hadn't had time to go to the lys.....in searching my stash I have found that I have an insane amount of sock yarn and some worsted but NO DK except a couple balls of acrylic.....(I wouldn't wish acrylic socks on even my worst foe.) So today I am off to my LYS to buy yarn and last night I got an email from my assassin that my socks are in the mail! I guess I will be mailing her some DK yarn since, I am dead anyhow....................

Angelia
09-25-2006, 08:39 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Oh no Vicki! Sorry you didn't get to do any knitting, but at least your assassin will be busy for awhile! :twisted:

HeatherFeather
09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
This was so much fun for me!!! :)

I used to never ever be able to finish ANYTHING....and now...look at me. I finished, and got in the mail on time Amy's square...and now this. I busting with a sense of accomplisment!!!

My target's package was mailed this am. So it is on the way to NY.

Also, I had to giggle when the postman asked if there was anything liquid, perishable, or potentially hazzardous...well...yeah...I'm going to kill someone with these socks!!! lol.....I firmly said...nope....but boy would I have failed a polygraph!!! lol...

Angelia
09-25-2006, 10:04 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

In this culture of fear, it's best you didn't say anything about "deadly socks"! :rofl:

HeatherFeather
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
my point exactly!!!! :)

My DH said...you KNOWWWWWWWWWWWw this game is against the 5th commandment.......I said WHATTTT???? nuhuh........he said...THOU SHALT NOT KILL......oh yeah, that one.....lol....He said that the LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) would frown heavily on this...lol....I said over my shoulder as walking into church...but it ISN"T REAL!!!! rofl.......

aylaanne
09-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I finished sock #1 last night, and I'm on the foot for sock #2. I was going to knit all day today until I was finished, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow. My target is in the UK and my assassin is in the US; we'll see how this turns out.

boyforpele13
09-25-2006, 02:33 PM
vicki, i am so glad to read i am not the only one who didn't have a free weekend to bust out a pair of socks. i had family over ALL DAY saturday and worked all day yesterday, so i am now just almost to the heel of sock 1. my assassin has already completed 1-1/2 socks, but is in the UK so hopefully i can finish before i get them.

and HEY! I have size 11 man feet! ;)

Julie
09-25-2006, 11:07 PM
My assassin actually sent my socks freakin EXPRESS MAIL :roflhard:

The mailman came to my door and asked for my signature, and I was all, "is that package from MINNESOTA?" :roflhard:

But alas, my own socks were mailed off early this morning, to someone at a military address on the other side of the world.....

Angelia
09-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow, that was fast!!

Express from Minnesota! :rofl:

I'm expecting to sign for a similar package today ;)

Do you like your socks? Do they fit? Can we see them?!

Julie
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
I'll be photographing them later today -- I have a lot of yarn/roving/stuff to put up on my blag and the last few days have been NUTS. Can you believe I forgot to take a picture of my own killer socks before I sent them off? :doh:

Angelia
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Oh no! Maybe your target will take a photo of them!

mwedzi
09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
heatherfeather, your avatar is the cutest thing i've ever seen.

HeatherFeather
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
thanks about the avatar!!! :) thought so too...lol...

if you really want to see cute stuff...

www.cuteoverload.com

but don't go there till your knitting is done...you'll spend too much time there.

mwedzi
09-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh, I know all about Cute Overload. Did you see the one of the pet squirrel in a tiny crochet sweater? Or the tree sweater? :shock: