PDA

View Full Version : NEWSBOY CAPS! ?

VictoiseC
09-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow, isn't this a great hat (http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?b=0&ID=75224&CategoryID=1589&t1=Accessories&t2=Hats&PseudoCat=b.comSearch&PageID=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.bloomingdales.com%2Fexe c%2F%3Fu1%3Dq%26pdp_nav%3D1%26q%3Dnewsboy%26cm_mmc %3D%2550%254%44%2544_%2553%2545%254%46-_-%2547oogle-_-%2541ccessories-_-newsboy_cap%26n%3D2&bhcp=1)? I need a hat like this. If you enlarge it you can really see the nice detail, the ribbing on top is different than most.
Wish I could make stuff like this without a pattern! (someday)

I'm scrolling through pattern central but haven't seen anything like this.
Have you?

*mod squad was here, fixed web link

Ilovesocks
09-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I wish I could get you one online . but I went to Barnes and Noble. saw a pic similar to your pic in the book of stitch n bitch nation. I really wanna buy that book for all of cute patterns in it. :)

humblestumble
09-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I bet it's just one big knit circle which is decreased on the circumference to make a tighter fitting band. And of course there's that ribbing design detail and a brim. I can't help much with specifics, sorry :shrug:

Oh ya and the brim even looks crocheted.

VictoiseC
09-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Yup, I went to the bookstore and read through the pattern. It's all knit and then a piece of plastic is put in for the rim (which is optional).

Here's one link:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/Hats/HKNewsBoy.html

I found this great picture of one in a blog... hers is the S & B pattern but it looks even better in the yarn she used. Scroll down to see it. Very very nice indeed. Have to make that...

http://www.unravel.spiraleyecreations.com/weblog_archives/cat_knitting.html

Hsiaokuo62
09-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Nice to see what you guys have posted! I've been working on this newsboy hat, the one from SnB Nation. I started it first using elastic cord knitted in to the band, regular white stuff - I thought it would blend in since my yarn is a multi colored blue with some white. It did not. Looked terrible! So I scrapped it.

The second try I used blue elastic thread made for stringing beads and knitted that into the band. That was fine. But then I misread the instructions and when it said to switch to the larger needles I switched to the LONGER needles... so it knit tighter, just like a beanie. So I didn't bother putting on the brim, its fine as a beanie. Now I am going to try again. However, I don't think that it will come out to be as *blousy* as a real newsboy cap should be. I have yet to find a pattern that looks right. The one posted here on the previous post is way too mushy and floppy, not like a real newsboy cap IMHO.

If you want to see what the beanie turned out like, a pic is in my blog *The Sticky Tao of Wicket Knitting*.

Let's keep looking, maybe we will find another pattern! :teehee:

VictoiseC
09-17-2006, 04:54 PM
THANKS hAisoooooo.... Hsiao wow what name... for the tips on the elastic. Yeah, I think it needs to be bigger and floppier too but you could play around with that til you get it. (ha ha if you have the patience)
You have a REALLY NEAT BLOG fish oil ?
but I couldn't find the pic of the hat.

knitting wisdom tip No. 1:
gots to read through entire instructions before beginning

:happydance:

Hsiaokuo62
09-17-2006, 08:48 PM
LOL yes, well you gots to read them AND understand them! :roflhard:

The pic of the hat is on the most recent page of my blog, so that is 13 I think.

Hsiaokuo62
09-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey I just found this at the knitting vault -

http://www.theknittingvault.com/display.asp?ID=145

apologies for not imbedding it. I supposedly learned how to imbed but did not practice :shrug:

Anyway this looks like a whole new way to do it.

I'm gonna get help from my knitting circle buddies because I don't really get what the pattern author is saying about how to cast on for this. It's top down. Anyway its supposed to solve the problems we have run into before with other patterns.

Laura

janelanespaintbrush
09-29-2006, 08:03 AM
My Mom just told me she wanted one so I borrowed the S&BN book from the library, and I have to say I'm not that wowwed with the pattern. I also found this (http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kap/kap.html) free pattern from Berroco, which I like a bit better, except that it's done straight and seamed. I thought I could try to adapt it to circular knitting, and maybe make it regular stockinette instead of reverse. Hopefully that would make the decrease lines stand out less and not be so distracting.

Knitting-teacher
09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't know if this is much help but I found this pattern Crochet Newsboy Cap
(http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50768AD.html)
Christine

Knitting-teacher
09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't know if this is much help but I found this pattern Crochet Newsboy Cap
(http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50768AD.html)
Christine

Hsiaokuo62
09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
This looks perfect, but I'm lame, I can't bring up the actual pattern and it does not say where to click to buy it. help? :??

CarmenIbanez
09-29-2006, 01:52 PM
There is also a very similar pattern in the "Wear the boys are" issue of Knit.1 (Issue before last, I think?) The one with the guy on the cover knitting.

janelanespaintbrush
09-29-2006, 01:53 PM
The lion pattern costs $2.50. If you do a search on their site, it will take you to a page where you can put it in your cart (even though the actual page doesn't have a button to do that).

Hsiaokuo62
09-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks, I figured it out finally. I remember having this problem before with their site. You would think they would give you a button to click on since it helps them generate income.

CarmenIbanez
09-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Knit.1 Fall/Winter 2005, Pattern #29 Here is a pic.....

VictoiseC
10-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey this topic's still going! Neat. I like that crocheted cap a lot! I just recently crocheted a long scarf coz I was tired of knitting and it went so fast I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for the link! (you are in Spain! estupendo)

OMG I just noticed the GUY. I'll take him instead of the hat.

:lol: just kidding, I dooooo love my dh.....

cookworm
10-02-2006, 11:36 PM
However, I don't think that it will come out to be as *blousy* as a real newsboy cap should be. I have yet to find a pattern that looks right. The one posted here on the previous post is way too mushy and floppy, not like a real newsboy cap IMHO.

When I made my SnB newsboy cap, I made the adjustments that allowed the maximum depth for the hat (the 7"), because I have thick hair. It actually allowed for more poufiness (sorry for the lack of a more descriptive word!) than the pictures showed, and I was happy with the result. To me, the picture in the SnB pattern almost looked like a baseball cap, which I didn't want to make. I was pretty happy with it, and it gave me a chance to try cables. Out of sheer fear, I almost omitted the cables and just stockinette stitched the whole thing...I'm glad I didn't. The cables really add a nice dimension to the hat.

VictoiseC
10-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Poufiness is a very good description! Thanks for the tip on making the hat bigger, I agree, that's what I want. I haven't done cables yet except to try a little swatch and it's a challenge for me. I'm getting psyched to begin this hat already!! (trying to finish a sweater and an afghan)

cookworm
10-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Vic, the only thing about the SnB hat is that the "pouf" is towards the back of the hat at the crown, not at the top; I don't know if this matters or not to you, but I thought I'd mention it. Although I like the look of the height of the other newsboy caps (like the one with the hunk posted above!), for me, the pouf was more practical in the back where all of my hair is. The designer of the cap put it best in calling it kind of a "rasta hat". I have a bigger head and thicker hair, so the height in what might be a more "traditional" newsboy cap wouldn't be a benefit to me...it wouldn't hold my hair inside (I use mine for "bad hair days"), and it would draw too much attention to my bigger head! :teehee: I hope you make the hat. I did two of them now, and would like to do a third hat in pink to mimic a hat I saw in pink (http://www.style.com/style/view/42/82/100098242.jpg) that I really liked (they call it a "slouchy cap" which is probably a better description of the kind of style it is). Before doing my first hat, I had never done cables before and was a bit intimidated, but after watching Amy's video on them, I wasn't as afraid anymore. I also figured, "So what!" if I couldn't do it--there's so much that I've been holding back with trying out of fear of failure, but what's the worst that can happen? I've wasted some of my time and maybe a little of my money, but maybe, I'll figure out the pattern and I'll actually make something...truth is, I'll never know unless I keep trying! The more skills I learn, the broader my knitting skills become, and the more projects I'll be able to tackle. The cable pattern for the SnB is a very simple cable compared to something like, say an Aran sweater. And I used cheapie acrylic yarn for my first hat because I figured if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out much financially (I would've been out under $3.00). Good luck--you can do it!!! :thumbsup:

Hsiaokuo62
10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I appreciate the discussion here, because that really helps me envision what the ifferences are between patterns. I'm hoping to try the crochet cap posted, but I don't know how to follow crochet patterns so I'll have to get a friend to help. If I succeed I will post it!

janelanespaintbrush
10-04-2006, 07:10 AM
I've been starting and frogging, and re-starting and re-frogging a newsboy cap for my Mom for the last week or so. None of the patterns are quite what she wants (I think) so I've been trying to improvise, so far, not to my satisfaction. Maybe I'll look at crochet ones too. There really seems to be a wider choice of patterns, or some reason. And, it'd be good to learn crochet. I dabbled with it as a kid and I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Hsiaokuo62, keep us updated on your progress.

VictoiseC
10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes, good discussion here! Thanks for the long post cook____ (I can't bring myself to use the last part of your name coz I have an aversion to them, so much to the point I once wrote and performed a theater piece called WOIMS :pout: really

anyhow, yeah I'm sure I can handle the cable part. I just got to find the yarn I want for this. Using cheaper yarn for the first one is a good idea... I have some really beautiful Kureyon stuff, kind of bulky and variegated colors (I think that what it's called ) and this would / will make a gorgeous cap but I think I should practice on less $$ yarn first.

As for crochet, after knitting for ages I just suddenly picked up some beautiful bulky white natural yarn and crocheted a very long scarf, only about 10 stitches wide and it just FLEW, you get done so quickly with crochet. I don't like to do it too often coz I find it kind of hard on the wrist but for simple things it's great, a good break from knitting. Only the first row is hard btw, after that it gets much easier. Crochet is easy! so don't be intimidated by it. Probably videos all over the place...

VictoiseC
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
just a little update, a new pattern I noticed

is it a newsboy cap or a beret or a combo???

Kinda interesting.

http://www.ornaghi.it/modelli_en/krystal_basco.htm

Hsiaokuo62
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
The hat is definitely intriguing, but it really brought up a pet peeve of mine - why do knitting patterns have pictures you can't really see??? :wall:
:shrug: This drives me crazy! Its so artistic that we can't even tell what it looks like! Its like the pictures of a cable pattern in black...you can't see a thing...or a sweater in white on a white background... or those tiny little pictures next to patterns where you can't make head or tail out of it :!!!: :gah: :hair:

I love having a chance to use all my venting icons! LOL
Laura

VictoiseC
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

EXACTLY! You are so right, you can't tell what the side looks like, the back..... :!!!: uhh now there's a cute icon I never noticed....

tangerine
01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I would looove to find the knitting pattern to make this perfect newsboy cap from Nordstrom (not surprising it is sold out).

http://i44.tinypic.com/s2tpht.jpg