PDA

View Full Version : do you use a pattern for...

Stitch
09-09-2006, 02:27 AM
socks?

i am wanting to knit up my first pair of socks! i have some simple stripes sock yarn from KP, and size 0 and 3 dpns...I want to knit them on 3's since they are my first pair (and honestly, im a little intimidated...lol)

should i just measure and figure it out? my gauge is 6 st/inch
or should i try to find a pattern that fits my gauge? :??

TIA!

Jenelle
09-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Silvers Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm) would probably be best for you. It is extremely helpful, too.

humblestumble
09-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I'd say find a simple pattern, toe up or cuff down and go for it. I've seen Silver's tutorial, and it's nice, but i didn't use it because I was ambitious. I used a pattern from wiseneedle.com. Silver's tutorial has step by step pictures and a calculation system thing (I believe) for your amount of stitches to use and whatnot.

Mo0nAngel
09-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I know the feeling...i was a little doubtful myself..but thursday i started knitting my first pair using Silver's tutorial and well let me tell you i'm just about finishing up the first one...that tutorial rocks!! :D so good luck with your socks and have fun! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stitch
09-10-2006, 09:35 AM
i used silver's sock tutorial to help me when i was making a stocking for my MIL, but i didnt know if i needed a pattern...im gonna check it out again and just do the calculations! Thanks everyone!

itsbecca1979
09-10-2006, 09:46 AM
I had a pattern I was using when I had my sock class, but I pretty much know how many I need to CO and everything to make a sock for myself now, so I just wing it. If I wanted a specific design I would certainly use a pattern! :thumbsup: