PDA

View Full Version : Fo:Anthropologie Capelet

candicane
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I used Paton's SWS in Natural Earth. It is a worsted weight instead of the bulky weight that the pattern used. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. I will probably wear it open or pinned at the bottom. The horizontal stripes don't lend well to pinning at the neck.

candice

itsbecca1979
09-10-2006, 08:49 PM
MUY FABULOSO! :cheering: :cheering: LOVE it!

IndianPrincessSIP
09-10-2006, 09:25 PM
G O R G E O U S! :heart:

Friskums
09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
That turned out great! :happydance: :happydance:

I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you were getting along with this. ^_^

I've started on my second one, this time in worsted weight. Hopefully my results will be as great as yours. :cheering: :cheering:

candicane
09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Friskie Kittie,

Your striped capelet was the inspiration for mine! I ended up casting on 72 stitches and increasing from there. The odd number stitch in the back was not necessary in order to get the raglan increases to line up with ribbing. I did a 3 stitch garter border on the front edges, but probably should have continued that in the bottom ribbing section.

What yarn are you using? I definitely plan on making another one (I think in a cotton tape).

Candice

gardenmommy
09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
It's beautiful! I :heart: :heart: :heart: those colors!

psammeadred
09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Beautiful! I'm rapidly falling in love with SWS. How many balls did you use?

quriouskey
09-11-2006, 04:10 AM
That looks lovely - beautiful colours too.

XbelovedXoneX
09-11-2006, 06:44 AM
that is soo beautiful! :inlove: Is there any easy equation for converting that patten to worseted weight?

knit-errant
09-11-2006, 07:50 AM
That's beautiful! I really, really love the colors. I have to go look for some SWS today.

gimmesanity
09-11-2006, 08:10 AM
That's gorgeous! Girl, your waist looks teeny tiny in it!! Well, it probably helps that you seem to have a teeny tiny waist anyways....it looks fabulous on you! The yarn worked reallly well!

Friskums
09-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi Friskie Kittie,

Your striped capelet was the inspiration for mine! I ended up casting on 72 stitches and increasing from there. The odd number stitch in the back was not necessary in order to get the raglan increases to line up with ribbing. I did a 3 stitch garter border on the front edges, but probably should have continued that in the bottom ribbing section.

What yarn are you using? I definitely plan on making another one (I think in a cotton tape).

Candice
I'm using some Malabrigo that Angelia sent me as a gift.
I cast on 67 (plus two for the selvedge edge). I'm on the third time starting, cuz I'm changing the garter to seed stitch and forgot to start it at the ribbing. Then I was thinking about doing the whole thing in ribbing, but didn't quite like that, so I'm on my third time starting the collar. Whew. :rofl:
I'm planning on making it longer. Yours is probably a perfect length. And having lond sleeves that end with a seed stitch cuff.

I can't wait to get it finished and have all of that heavenly malabrigo on my skin. :mrgreen:

candicane
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Beautiful! I'm rapidly falling in love with SWS. How many balls did you use?

I used just under 3 balls of SWS. The formula for using a different weight yarn than the pattern calls for is:

1. Measure your neck (where you want the neckline to sit).

2. Swatch.

3. Gauge per inch x neck measurement = number of stitches to CO (number needs to be divisible by 6).

Since I CO 72 stitches (plus 2 for selvedge edge), I put markers at 12, 12, 24, 12, 12. I did the YO increases on knit rows just because it was easier for me. Keep in mind that this is a very fitted sweater, if you are very busty, you might want to CO extra. Also, if using a thinner yarn, don't follow the pattern for number of rows, you will have to knit extra rows of stockinette after you divide for the arms. Just knit till you have a comfy fit.

Candice

kimmie
09-11-2006, 08:50 AM
That is so cute!

kimmie

maxmom
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Very adorable - would love to see the back!

earthchick
09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
SO cute!

Amber
09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
That is so pretty! I love the colors and it looks great on you!

XbelovedXoneX
09-11-2006, 09:46 AM
thanks for the info on how to convert the pattern!!

rebecca
09-11-2006, 10:44 AM
GORGEOUS :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
09-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I am working on mine right now and I just love it. I have set aside some yarn from my stash for a few more. I am going to do one with a fur trim for my aunt. She's cuban and from Miami, so you know she'll be able to rock the fur trim! :-)

mwedzi
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
It's fab. :heart: I had seen this pattern around and thought it was okay but never really thought about making it until now. 3 balls of SWS you say? Hmmm .. .

knit-errant
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Just so you know, I went out and bought 5 balls of SWS, and it's all your fault! :fingerwag:

I showed my daughter your sweater, and she asked me to make her one in the denim color. So, I went to Michaels thinking I'd "just look" but when I saw what a pretty sheen it has, I couldn't just leave it in the store... all alone and lonely.

jberry16
09-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I want one!

candicane
09-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Just so you know, I went out and bought 5 balls of SWS, and it's all your fault! :fingerwag:

I showed my daughter your sweater, and she asked me to make her one in the denim color. So, I went to Michaels thinking I'd "just look" but when I saw what a pretty sheen it has, I couldn't just leave it in the store... all alone and lonely.

I can't wait to see yours in the denim color. It also kept trying to jump into my cart. I ended up with the natural geranium that trip for some winter accessories for DD. I want the denim for a sweater for her and the Natural Green for a sweater for the cat. This stuff is so addictive, and when you have a coupon, how can you resist?

candice[/i]

sugarbeth
09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Oooh! That is so cute! I LOVE the colors. hmmm....bookmarking this thread!

CindyH
09-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Love it - it looks great! Makes me want to get some SWS too...

janelanespaintbrush
09-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I think this is the first time I've seen a striped one... it really does give it a more casual look. Very nice!

kellyjo32
09-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Wow!! That looks terrific on you!! :cheering: The colors are just perfect for fall too!! Gorgeous and great job! I might have to consider a trip to Michael's as well. I've already fallen in love with the SWS, I just needed something to make with it!!

XbelovedXoneX
09-12-2006, 07:19 AM
I got some SWS last night and cast on! :happydance:

candicane: about how long did it take you to knit? Sorry if this was asked already!

Edited to add: Oops! I think I made a boo-boo! When you said to measure your neck... Did you mean all the way around, or just exactly where the open sweater neckline will sit. I measure all the way around where I want it to sit!

Friskums
09-12-2006, 08:37 AM
You measure all the way around.

XbelovedXoneX
09-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was doing it right because compared to others cast on amount mine seemed a wee bit high. I'm casting on 78 and I'm a pretty tiny girl... but I didn't want the collar higher up and rubbing on my neck so that may be why!

Also, how would I go about placing the markers... Would placing them after 14,13,24,13,14 be right? One day I will get the hang of this knitting math stuff!

candicane
09-12-2006, 12:07 PM
If you are using worsted weight, 78 doesn't really seem like that much. Your gauge is more important than comparing it to what others CO.

For the markers, CO78 divided by 6 = 13. Double that number for the back portion. So your markers would be at:

13, 13, 26, 13, 13.

It took me about 3 evenings of knitting. I am not a super-speedy knitter either. I started a similar one last night in Colinette cotton tape.

Candice

XbelovedXoneX
09-12-2006, 12:54 PM
thank you again candicane! :muah:

I reeeally wanted to get this done in time to wear on my birthday this saturday, and it's looking like it just might be possible!!

Pixywhispers
09-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Wow super cute!

When you wash it please let us know how it holds up.

dallaswinn
09-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I :heart: your capeletI I have one on the needles now, BUT it doesn't look as good as yours! I was wondering, how do you get the edge to look so neat in the knit 2 section? You have such a clean edge and mine doesn't look like that! Also, did you add extra length to yours once you started the ribbing? I don't know how long to make it. Thanks for any info!

candicane
09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
I :heart: your capeletI I have one on the needles now, BUT it doesn't look as good as yours! I was wondering, how do you get the edge to look so neat in the knit 2 section? You have such a clean edge and mine doesn't look like that! Also, did you add extra length to yours once you started the ribbing? I don't know how long to make it. Thanks for any info!

Thanks for all the compliments!

I added two stitches to the CO. Slip the first stitch and knit the last in every row. I learned that little tip here! It makes edges look great. I also changed the knit 2 to knit 3, just cause I thought it would look good. I should have continued that in the ribbing section, but oh well. And yes, I made the ribbing section longer. I don't know how many rows I did, just till I liked it.

A note on the self-striping: I had some yarn wasteage because I tried really hard to get the sleeves to have the same stripes. It is not perfect, but I think not too off either. Also, at some point (before I divided for the sleeves) the stripes stoped lining up where they meet in the front. Since it has so many stripes I don't think it is too noticeable.

Candice

dallaswinn
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
THANKS for the helpful hint. I will certainly try that on my next one as it makes a beautiful edge. One (or two) more question(s). . . when you slip one, do you slip it knitwise or purlwise? AND, do you do slip on ALL WS AND RS rows?

THANKS for your help!

candicane
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
THANKS for the helpful hint. I will certainly try that on my next one as it makes a beautiful edge. One (or two) more question(s). . . when you slip one, do you slip it knitwise or purlwise? AND, do you do slip on ALL WS AND RS rows?

THANKS for your help!

Yes, do that on all rows. Slip purlwise.

candice

XbelovedXoneX
09-13-2006, 10:56 AM
A note on the self-striping: I had some yarn wasteage because I tried really hard to get the sleeves to have the same stripes. It is not perfect, but I think not too off either. Also, at some point (before I divided for the sleeves) the stripes stoped lining up where they meet in the front. Since it has so many stripes I don't think it is too noticeable.

Candice

ut oh, i never even thought about the self-striping factor! I don't see me having that kind of patience to make it match up as nicely as it looks like you did! :teehee:

candicane
09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Sorry did not mean to scare you. The part I was concerned about was the ribbing on the sleeves when you knit them separately. Before that, the yarn just takes care of it!

candice

CarmenIbanez
09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
So many good tips! I have been working on my first one in sort of some cheapy yarn that my sister liked. Then I can move on to doing mine. :teehee:

Thanks for keeping us up on all your great tips!

knitwit2
09-13-2006, 02:07 PM
I love your capelet!!! I'm going to have to start one asap. When you measured your neck how many inches was yours? I love where the capelet sits around your neck and you look about the same size as me. I told myself I was never going to make a garment again because they never turn out but you inspired me to try this one!!! Thank you!! :D

Cindy

candicane
09-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I love your capelet!!! I'm going to have to start one asap. When you measured your neck how many inches was yours? I love where the capelet sits around your neck and you look about the same size as me. I told myself I was never going to make a garment again because they never turn out but you inspired me to try this one!!! Thank you!! :D

Cindy

I think I measured around 17 inches. With a gauge of 4.25 SPI. I probably should have written this down for future reference. The SWS label suggests a #9 needle, but I ended up using a #10.

candice

knitwit2
09-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Thank you Candice. You did such a great job!!!

knitwit2
09-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a question on the raglan increases. Continue raglan increases until sleeve measures the circumference of your upper arm. How many inches did you knit until you split sleeves and body? I am at 5 1/2" from bottom of neckline. Do you measure your arm? Thank you so much.

Friskums
09-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes. You knit until the measurement between the yo's for the sleeves equals that of the circumference of your arm. Mine, for example, is 10 inches around. So, I knit until the the yo's were 10 inches apart.

knitwit2
09-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply friskie_kittie!!! It makes sense now!!!!

candicane
09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes, measure the circumfrence of your upper arm. The section of stitches for the arm needs to measure this distance. Check out FriskieKitten's drawing in this post, it is a great visual.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16927&start=15

candice

knitwit2
09-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks Candice!!!

kellyjo32
10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Okay, I'm inspired to at least add one to the "to-knit" list. And I'm heading to Michaels to get some SWS, but where is the pattern?!