PDA

View Full Version : quick baby sweater- UPDATED WITH NEW QUESTION

Cherinec5
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
ok maybe i'm making it more confusing then it really is i dont know lol. i started working on this last night hoping to get it finished by today but i got stuck and had to frog it. i figured i'd ask for what i need b4 i get started on it again. here's the pattern,

http://www.minidata.co.nz/major/freepatt/patt01.htm

and the part i'm having trouble with is with the increase M1.
she says she's written Elizabeth Zimmermans M1 increase which is to make a backward loop and place on right h and needle. is that the same as YO??? cuz i did just the regular YO and it has holes which i dont think are supposed to be in the pattern, cuz i tried one with knit in front and back and no holes. she also says i can use knit in front and back but leave 1 less st between increases. what?????

THEN:
it says K1, insert needle under next horizontal loop of row below (between sts) and knit this st. does she mean the stitch i had worked the row before?

like i said my brain hasn't been functioning well these past couple of days :oops: so i'm not sure if i'm just making it harder then it is.

any help would be appreciated :)

psammeadred
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I just made this sweater a few weeks ago, and the directions were a bit confusing. It took me a few practice rows to figure it out.

There are two types of increases in this pattern: make 1 (M1) and knitting the horizontal bar between stitches. For M1, stick your left-hand needle into the top rung of the "ladder" of yarn between your stitches. Pretend this is a stitch and knit it as usual. For the other increase, after you work a k2tog row, you'll have little horizontal rows between stitches. Stick your right-hand needle into the bump-thingy and knit as usual. Don't put the loop on your left-hand needle, though, since that will distort the stitch and the patterning won't turn out right.

Hope this helps!

Cherinec5
09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
ok i think i get what you mean. i'm at work now so i'll have to wait till i get home and actually try it to make sure lool.

Cherinec5
09-14-2006, 10:56 AM
ok i've knit up to the body now. i've just finished up the sleeves and have slipped all stitches on one needle again. but i haven't seamed the sleeves yet. do i HAVE to before i continue or can i just do all the seaming when i'm all done?
here's what i'm not understanding.

Knit across front sts, knit up 4 sts across cast on sts at sleeve underarm, knit across back sts, knit up 4 from other sleeve underarm, knit across second front.

see earlier, we had cast on 2 st on either side of the sleeve, so now i have to PICK UP 4 stitches and continue working and it will all become one piece? can i take out the markers?

i would also like to have like 4-5 buttons on it? how would i make the button holes? the pic shows a couple of buttons but i dont know where they are in the pattern?